Auto-engage GEQ issue

andyg_prs

Hi,

For my solo sound I have an expression pedal in external 2 with a slight volume boost and a higher delay mix.

With some PAs I find my boosted solo sound a bit ice pick like so I have also set a GEQ with a treble cut (amongst other things) to auto engage when the pedal is beyond 20%.

In AX8 edit I was a bit suspicious of the behaviour as sometimes the GEQ block would show as active when engaging the expression pedal, and sometimes not. The state of the GEQ also seemed a little random when moving between scenes. I currently have scenes 3, 4, 5 and 6 footswitchable.....they are the same other than different amounts of amp gain (this is to let me audition them at rehearsal) and an attempt at equalising the volume differences as a result via the OUTPUT > Scenes > Main Scene controls.

To prove this, I changed the GEQ Bypass mode to Mute. With the expression pedal in the heel position, currently (as in at the point I exported the preset) scenes 3, 4 and 6 are muted as they should be, but scene 5 still sounds - using the unit itself. If I move the pedal a little, it then displays the correct behaviour.

From AX8 edit, I don't always get the same behaviour. For example, if I go into scene 5 which has an output in heeldown and double the GEQ block to bypass it and save, then different scenes do or don't display the correct behaviour when moving between scenes with the heeldown.

This of course doesn't give me confidence.

The concept seems to be correct - GEQ engaging with the pedal past 20%. It works for a given scene but seems a little untrustworthy when switching scenes.

Also AX8 edit can't make up its mind. Sometimes the GEQ shows as not engaged at heel, and then turns purple when I move the expression pedal.

Sometimes the GEQ is purple all the time regardless of the pedal position. Sometimes the GEQ is bypassed regardless of the pedal position.

Any ideas?

I have attached the preset.

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• Break the Seal.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
I switched the modifier on the Level knob to the Bypass Mode. GEQ goes purple as pedal moves and off in the heel. (Min = Off, Max = On, Auto Engage = Off). Not sure if I hear any difference.

Still experimenting with the entire preset.

I switched the modifier on the Level knob to the Bypass Mode. GEQ goes purple as pedal moves and off in the heel. (Min = Off, Max = On, Auto Engage = Off). Not sure if I hear any difference.

Still experimenting with the entire preset.

In terms of the impact of the GEQ, I find it really is mainly heard at band rehearsal levels. At bedroom volumes I tried changing the treble band to the maximum boost to prove I could hear it engage. Funnily it worked in the past with the modifier where it is set.

I've tried your settings...I seem to get the right behaviour visually, but it's too late to test the audio....will try in the morning....

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Update - I have no idea why the level modifier only worked sometimes, but the Bypass mode modifier works perfectly - thank you very much :)

Since you already had the GEQ set to your specs, you just wanted to turn the GEO Off and On when using the expression pedal correct? By attaching to the Bypass Mode it only has a value of Off and On. Attached to the Level knob it is looking for an increase/decrease value but you had the Min and Max set to 0. I think that was the reason for the GEO not working properly.

Since you already had the GEQ set to your specs, you just wanted to turn the GEO Off and On when using the expression pedal correct? By attaching to the Bypass Mode it only has a value of Off and On. Attached to the Level knob it is looking for an increase/decrease value but you had the Min and Max set to 0. I think that was the reason for the GEO not working properly.

Yes - in the ideal world, I would have morphed the eq from the old to new values, in the same way as the volume boost and delay mix graduates up as I move to toe down.....but this is close enough.

Back
Top Bottom