Wish Authentic values for the settings on digital rack preamps

Chiguete

Experienced
So preamps like the Marshall JMP-1 don't go from 1-10 in their settings, it goes from "minus" values to "plus" values and skippin numbers, so since in the editor you have the "AUTHENTIC" page to display the correct knobs that originally came in amps (for example, the Plexis dont have master volume) it would be great if in the JMP-1 and other similar preamps that the values would show just like they did originally so one can correctly recreate the original tones... then on the "IDEAL" page you could have a normal 1-10 knob.

Also would be great in the EQ corresponds to the original range in the "AUTHENTIC" and don't have a larger range of EQ like on some pedals happend too.

i can see why you would want this, and i came from the same place when i got my axe8. i carefully documented the settings on my real amps before selling them, and then set the knobs and sliders on the corresponding places on the model.

here are some of the reasons that didn‘t perfectly replicate the tone i was getting from the real amps:
  • potentiometers vary widely. therefore, the same settings in two otherwise identical real amps will sound different
  • real world amps go through revisions, so even assuming perfect components, two Dumbles or Mk IIcs may not have the same internals.
  • the room you’re playing in has a huge impact on your tone - therefore major touring acts who travel with their own amps still have to dial them in at every show
there are tons of modeling products out there that choose to perfectly replicate the user interface of the devices they’re modeling. Fractal chooses to duplicate the way they work and sound. which is better? vote with your wallet.

i can see why you would want this, and i came from the same place when i got my axe8. i carefully documented the settings on my real amps before selling them, and then set the knobs and sliders on the corresponding places on the model.

here are some of the reasons that didn‘t perfectly replicate the tone i was getting from the real amps:
  • potentiometers vary widely. therefore, the same settings in two otherwise identical real amps will sound different
  • real world amps go through revisions, so even assuming perfect components, two Dumbles or Mk IIcs may not have the same internals.
  • the room you’re playing in has a huge impact on your tone - therefore major touring acts who travel with their own amps still have to dial them in at every show
there are tons of modeling products out there that choose to perfectly replicate the user interface of the devices they’re modeling. Fractal chooses to duplicate the way they work and sound. which is better? vote with your wallet.
Ohh yeha I totally get what you are saying that no two amps sound the same but even tho you should try to find tone using your ears and not your eyes thins get complicated when the knobs don't react the same, for example these are quotes from in the JMP-1

"The Axe-Fx model of the JMP-1 is "better" in the sense that the tone controls control the tone stack rather than a graphic EQ. You then have the separate graphic EQ to further tailor the sound. What I didn't do, and why people probably feel the model differs, is "normalize" the tone controls so that with B/M/T at noon the tone stacks match. On the Axe-Fx you might need to set the Bass to 3, Mid to 7, etc. to get the tone to match. I just used a standard Marshall tone stack whereas the JMP-1 uses a standard Marshall tone stack but the pots are replaced with fixed resistors but those values don't necessarily correspond to the pots at noon."

“The JMP-1 tone controls have more range than the actual preamp. The preamp has about +/- 8 dB for each tone control while the model has the standard +/- 12 dB."

That's why I talk about I talk about that in the AUTHENTIC page in the editor, basicly they came out with this page so that people know what are the kbobs that the amp had originally and you use them just like you would do in real life... then if you want more flexibility you go to the next page that has all the other functions.

So for me at least those paremeters in the tone stack in the Fractal units should replicate the minimal/half/full range of the original gear at 0/5/10 that way you could just do a simple math and know where in the ball park you should be when setting up tones.

So for me at least those paremeters in the tone stack in the Fractal units should replicate the minimal/half/full range of the original gear at 0/5/10 that way you could just do a simple math and know where in the ball park you should be when setting up tones.

devil‘s advocate:

should they remove the numbers from models where there aren’t any on the real amp?

Back
Top Bottom