Authentic Amp in the room sound with the Axe-Fx & Ambient IRs

Morphosis

Official G66 Support
At the german Axe-Fest i demonstrated some people how it sounds, if you monitor thru headphones or In-Ears and mix some ambient / room and/or back cabinet IRs together with close mic or mixes of close mic IRs. Because you need longer IR length to provide the room reflections of room or back cabinet mic positions, i did the following:

Guitar to Axe-Fx with just an Amp-Block. In the DAW i route the signal to 4 mono AUX sends and place in each AUX Channel a convolution (reverb) host, such as Steinberg Reference for example. Convolotion Reverb hosts play IRs in full length (of course), so my 500ms WAV cab-IRs will be played fully.

Now you can check out this experience for yourself: Grab your headphones and mix your own ambience mix!
public.php

Beside the (MUTED at startup) drums L & R + Bass, there are two single guitar DI tracks (thanks to Haiko Heinz aka Heinzi) I´ve reamped thru the Axe-Fx and place the speaker cabinet impulse responses into the pre-fader listening AUX channels:

Guitar 1: Axe-Fx II Plexi 100W High Sim and following IRs from www.cabIR.eu:
1 CLOSE: MR-PIN68_CAB_M01_MULTI_I
1 ROOM1: MR-PIN68_room_414_R1_I
1 ROOM3: MR-PIN68_room_414_R3_I
1 BACK: MR-PIN68_rear_451_R1_I

Guitar 2: Axe-Fx II JM45 jump Sim and following IRs from www.cabIR.eu:
2 CLOSE: MR-JIMI_CAB_M01_MULTI_I
2 ROOM1: MR-JIMI_room_414_R1_I
2 ROOM3: MR-JIMI_room_414_R3_I
2 BACK: MR-JIMI_rear_451_R1_I

Now the fun begin: Mix your own "authentic Amp in the room" experience. Mute tracks, solo tracks, mix as you like. Don`t forget to play with the PAN knob ;)

Unless the CLOSE Mic Mix (M01 -> M for MPT, minimal phase transform), the room and rear positions are RAW, including the original running time. Mixing those together result in .... but HEAR & MIX FOR YOURSELF ;)

To me personally this is fun, when i play with headphones, because it gives me the feel, i would stand next to a loud Amp in the room ... and it has another flavour, than emulate it with algorithm reverb solutions.

In other words: What you hear and mix are just DI signals, no real miced Amps or (digital) reverbs! The Axe-Fx and 500ms WAV IRs, added in the DAW.

Last edited:
I have no freakin' idea what I would realistically do with this, but it's so cool! Can I get multi-track recordings of all my favorite songs so I can re-mix them to my taste? I'm amazed at the skills I see displayed in these forums.
Thanks for the new perspective!

At the german Axe-Fest i demonstrated some people how it sounds, if you monitor thru headphones or In-Ears and mix some ambient / room and/or back cabinet IRs together with close mic or mixes of close mic IRs. Because you need longer IR length to provide the room reflections of room or back cabinet mic positions, i did the following:

Guitar to Axe-Fx with just an Amp-Block. In the DAW i route the signal to 4 mono AUX sends and place in each AUX Channel a convolution (reverb) host, such as Steinberg Reference for example. Convolotion Reverb hosts play IRs in full length (of course), so my 500ms WAV cab-IRs will be played fully.

Now you can check out this experience for yourself: Grab your headphones and mix your own ambience mix!
public.php

Beside the (MUTED at startup) drums L & R + Bass, there are two single guitar DI tracks (thanks to Haiko Heinz aka Heinzi) I´ve reamped thru the Axe-Fx and place the speaker cabinet impulse responses into the pre-fader listening AUX channels:

Guitar 1: Axe-Fx II Plexi 100W High Sim and following IRs from www.cabIR.eu:
1 CLOSE: MR-PIN68_CAB_M01_MULTI_I
1 ROOM1: MR-PIN68_room_414_R1_I
1 ROOM3: MR-PIN68_room_414_R3_I
1 BACK: MR-PIN68_rear_451_R1_I

Guitar 2: Axe-Fx II JM45 jump Sim and following IRs from www.cabIR.eu:
2 CLOSE: MR-JIMI_CAB_M01_MULTI_I
2 ROOM1: MR-JIMI_room_414_R1_I
2 ROOM3: MR-JIMI_room_414_R3_I
2 BACK: MR-JIMI_rear_451_R1_I

Now the fun begin: Mix your own "authentic Amp in the room" experience. Mute tracks, solo tracks, mix as you like. Don`t forget to play with the PAN knob ;)

Unless the CLOSE Mic Mix (M01 -> M for MPT, minimal phase transform), the room and rear positions are RAW, including the original running time. Mixing those together result in .... but HEAR & MIX FOR YOURSELF ;)

To me personally this is fun, when i play with headphones, because it gives me the feel, i would stand next to a loud Amp in the room ... and it has another flavour, than emulate it with algorithm reverb solutions.

In other words: What you hear and mix are just DI signals, no real miced Amps or (digital) reverbs! The Axe-Fx and 500ms WAV IRs, added in the DAW.

Nice! It's fun and educational to mix in different room flavors, and tweak the room.

Cool little webb app. Did you write it, or did you hook into a commercial app?

Back
Top Bottom