Authentic amp controls - amazing

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
I just want to thank Fractal for implementing authentic amp controls. This is an exceptional improvement (to me), and suddenly I’m adjusting amps like the real thing, and getting the sounds I want quicker and more effectively. I know some don’t agree, and that in theory (and practice) all the authentic controls were already there anyway, but now it’s way better - for me.
Thanks -
Pauly

I like Authentic Amp feature, by all means, but i wish there was a way to have both at the same time, like if there was one color for the authentic controls and another color for the rest. That way you could start a new preset by using the authentic controls if you wanted, and then tweak with the other controls. And there wouldn't be a need for two different control layouts.

I like Authentic Amp feature, by all means, but i wish there was a way to have both at the same time, like if there was one color for the authentic controls and another color for the rest. That way you could start a new preset by using the authentic controls if you wanted, and then tweak with the other controls. And there wouldn't be a need for two different control layouts.
This is interesting. Some kind of way to differentiate the additional ideal controls not available on the actual amp.

This is where Axe-Edit shines a bit. It is much easier to see the differences with just a single click.

This was suggested in the beta firmware thread and rejected due to the potential problems it would bring to those who are colorblind.

The Axe-Edit implementation is fantastic.

This was suggested in the beta firmware thread and rejected due to the potential problems it would bring to those who are colorblind.

The Axe-Edit implementation is fantastic.

Plenty of ways to differentiate without relying on color though.... bolder text, box outlining the control knob knob etc.

Maybe a combination of both, like have the text in a different color, and also bolder font or soemthing so it’s readily apparent for most, and still accessible for those who can’t see a given color. Bold yellow for authentic knobs, normal font blue for mids knob on an amp that didn’t have one. Avoids the red and green issues, and even with no color vision you can still see brightness and font size.

Clear, easy to understand, everything in one place, and accessible to everyone. Seems like a win win win

When you think about the reasons why a manufacturer creates his amp with one tone knob only, things like price and time come to mind or he's aiming at a certain market where only cheap products can win and things like that. I don't think it's about the best tone? Coming easier to a better tone with turning less knobs? No, I don't believe that.

When you think about the reasons why a manufacturer creates his amp with one tone knob only, things like price and time come to mind or he's aiming at a certain market where only cheap products can win and things like that. I don't think it's about the best tone? Coming easier to a better tone with turning less knobs? No, I don't believe that.
While it may be true in some cases, sometimes simple is better. Case in point is the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. One volume and one tone control. It's hard to find any negative reviews about the tone of that amp. On the flip side is Mesa's tone circuit (i.e. Rectifier series and Lonestar), a lot of controls and a lot of users find it difficult to dial in.

The more components that are placed in a circuit, the more the tone is impacted. It's inevitable. A broad range EQ makes the amp marketable to more players because of the added versatility but it can't help but alter the tone. The tonal difference of a guitar with or without a no-load tone potentiometer is very real and measurable. Amp tone circuits are more complex (more components) than the guitar's simple tone control. Every resistor and capacitor does something to the tone.

It mostly simplified things due to less choices and feeling satisfied because you “used everything that’s there.” With 2 knobs on some amps for example, you just settle faster because there isn’t anything else to turn.

Many of us have done the same thing for years by simply choosing to not turn every knob there, so that’s why there’s a pretty firm “I don’t get it” from many of us.

But many are helped with the lack of knobs and that is a good thing regardless. We have the option, so it’s the best of both worlds.

I still have to disagree with the concept of "more controls that appear on the axe, even at default, it affects the tone." It factually doesn't.

I've spoken at length on this subject already, and my thoughts aren't changing, so that's it from me on this one.

Last edited:
Wish we could get pedal like FX pages too. :cool:

I like that the deep options are still there, since I do use them... it is really nice starting with the simple view. This is such a great FW update, with drives and UI updates... incredible stuff... Best of both worlds.

Wish we could get pedal like FX pages too. :cool:

I like that the deep options are still there, since I do use them... it is really nice starting with the simple view. This is such a great FW update, with drives and UI updates... incredible stuff... Best of both worlds.
i think Amps and Drives have been a focus of the Axe platform. Effects i've never seen as "modeled" really. sure, there are some types which clearly are certain historic pedals, yet i can't see the "authentic" thing happening to the effects. just my thought.

The concept that seems to be difficult to grasp when it comes to the many parameters is the fact that each one represents a part of the circuit in practically every amplifier. Just because there is not a control on the actual amp does not mean that 'parameter' doesn't exist. When there is no control knob, it is a fixed component value, which the Fractal default setting(s) represents.

Back
Top Bottom