Austinbuddy's new Cab Pack

"I am allowed to tell you Fractal Audio is planning to release this Bludo 1X12 Ultra Res IR and others from the IR session it came from in a future Cab Pack, probably Cab Pack 10. The Cab Pack will feature four boutique cabs I own.

The four cabs used to make IRs for the forthcoming Cab Pack are:

1. Bogner 1X12 "Shiva" dual port with a Classic Lead 80 Celestion and a recessed back... I used this cab with a real Bogner Ecstasy 101b on 6th street in Austin; it sounds GREAT with the Bogner Shiva model and other modern boutique amps. As Bogner represents, this particular cab in real life fools mics into thinking it's a 4x12, it's a great cab design.

2. Bludotone 1X12 dual port with the WGS Blackhawk AlNiCo... the IR works great with the BludoOjai amp model and should work for lots of different Dumble-style amps or other similar boutique amps. Great cleans for Jazz as you will find in the 1x12 Bludo mix in FW 18 just released.

3. Bludotone 2x12 open oval back with G12-65H reissue Celestions... this is the same speaker cab design Robben Ford uses with his tan Dumble Overdrive Special.

4. Bludotone 2x12 open oval back with ASW (Austin Speaker Works) special-designed Bludotone speakers.

We shot about 120 different IRs (roughly 30 for each cab, including rooms and cab back) at CUE Recording studios, using a Neve 1073 preamp and a few good guitar mics: M160, R121, MD421, SM57, and a U47FET.

Counter-intuitively for some, we've found both 1X12 dual port cab IRs actually have more bottom end to them (dual bass ports!) than the 2x12 open oval backs do, but you can always add bottom end to any cab IR using a null mic and then dialing up the proximity knob in the Cab block. They will sit well in a mix "as is."

This Cab Pack IR collection will hopefully fill out some space in existing cab IR land between the 4x12 Marshall or Metal-oriented IRs and Fender-type cab IRs out there...

You'll be able to use Cab Lab to mix your own IRs from the individual mic IRs, whether Mark II or XL.

There'll be a few sample mixes for each cab too to check out. That's what Cliff used for the Bludo 1x12 new factory cab in FW 18.

Am sure these will be "coming soon" -- but there is no release date set yet...stay tuned!"

Any info on when we can expect these ?
Will these cabs use the new mic+DI technique ?

"I am allowed to tell you Fractal Audio is planning to release this Bludo 1X12 Ultra Res IR and others from the IR session it came from in a future Cab Pack, probably Cab Pack 10. The Cab Pack will feature four boutique cabs I own.

The four cabs used to make IRs for the forthcoming Cab Pack are:

1. Bogner 1X12 "Shiva" dual port with a Classic Lead 80 Celestion and a recessed back... I used this cab with a real Bogner Ecstasy 101b on 6th street in Austin; it sounds GREAT with the Bogner Shiva model and other modern boutique amps. As Bogner represents, this particular cab in real life fools mics into thinking it's a 4x12, it's a great cab design.

2. Bludotone 1X12 dual port with the WGS Blackhawk AlNiCo... the IR works great with the BludoOjai amp model and should work for lots of different Dumble-style amps or other similar boutique amps. Great cleans for Jazz as you will find in the 1x12 Bludo mix in FW 18 just released.

3. Bludotone 2x12 open oval back with G12-65H reissue Celestions... this is the same speaker cab design Robben Ford uses with his tan Dumble Overdrive Special.

4. Bludotone 2x12 open oval back with ASW (Austin Speaker Works) special-designed Bludotone speakers.

We shot about 120 different IRs (roughly 30 for each cab, including rooms and cab back) at CUE Recording studios, using a Neve 1073 preamp and a few good guitar mics: M160, R121, MD421, SM57, and a U47FET.

Counter-intuitively for some, we've found both 1X12 dual port cab IRs actually have more bottom end to them (dual bass ports!) than the 2x12 open oval backs do, but you can always add bottom end to any cab IR using a null mic and then dialing up the proximity knob in the Cab block. They will sit well in a mix "as is."

This Cab Pack IR collection will hopefully fill out some space in existing cab IR land between the 4x12 Marshall or Metal-oriented IRs and Fender-type cab IRs out there...

You'll be able to use Cab Lab to mix your own IRs from the individual mic IRs, whether Mark II or XL.

There'll be a few sample mixes for each cab too to check out. That's what Cliff used for the Bludo 1x12 new factory cab in FW 18.

Am sure these will be "coming soon" -- but there is no release date set yet...stay tuned!"

Any info on when we can expect these ?
Will these cabs use the new mic+DI technique ?

Hi guys:

Unfortunately the IRs in this forthcoming cab pack were NOT created using the new DI+mic technique, because these IRs were shot two days after Christmas 2014 at CUE Recording Studios. That timing was before that mic+DI technique became available to us from Fractal Audio.

My understanding is Fractal Audio has some other great Cab Packs (some using the Di+Mic method!) in the pipeline to get to market right now before this particular one gets formally available. I can't speak officially for Fractal Audio, so don't hold me to it, but I know it is "coming soon," perhaps as the eventual Cab Pack 12?

Howdy folks!

Here is a new promo video for this Cab Pack, now re-titled "AustinBuddy's Boutique" Cab Pack from Fractal Audio. I hope to get some clips up later in August on my SoundCloud webpage from it.

Here is a link to more info on this Cab Pack....and I will have a new Cab Pack featuring some cool Vintage Amps coming out later this summer!

Back
Top Bottom