Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy LedZ "BRIT ROCK ROYALTY #1" TonePack for Cygnus X2 available!

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
How does the "BritRockRoyalty" Tonepack sound with the newest 9.00 Axe FXIII firmware?
There doesn't seem to be many video demos for it?
Video demo is almost done, my partners are handling it. I have been on business trip all week and not tried 9 yet.

Do the presets in this tonepack accurately reflect the stereo imaging on the records?
YES! Videos soon.

For each song you get the stereo version preset with correct panning, fun for playing along withthe album....and then later for the same song we provide a mono preset version if you want to use that sound live in mono - you get both!

Reactions: Rex
How does the "BritRockRoyalty" Tonepack sound with the newest 9.00 Axe FXIII firmware?
There doesn't seem to be many video demos for it?
Video soon. For now best to use with 6.04 if you want it 100% exact to album.

9 just came out and I have been away on business trip all week and not had any time to compare A/B
between he original 6.04 version and how they sound under the new 9...

Hi gang: I've added two Brit Rock Royalty demo videos to the front of this thread. These are in stereo with correct panning.

I'll also put them here for ya. Hope you enjoy them!

If you know someone who says you can't get true, faithful and accurate classic recorded rock guitar tones from an Axe-Fx III, well they don't know what they are talking about! :cool:

All right! The Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #1 is now updated to ARES firmware 11.x +!

For past buyers, get your updates now by logging into your account on my website, or if you haven't ordered this yet (what are you waiting for???) do it before the end of the year, because that's when the introductory sales price will lapse and go up to the normal price.

Enjoy!
AB, could you expound on this a bit?
"If you are using this TonePack in a tribute band, or looking to record/make the tones as identical as possible to the original songs, the most
accurate rendition (compared to the original albums) is still achieved using the original 6.04 firmware and the 6.x version TonePack. Don’t
worry, version 11.x is very very close to original album tones, but some tonal changes made by Fractal Audio to amp modeling in ARES 11.x simply
cannot be compensated for through EQ or gain adjustments."

Does this mean that it would require a complete overhaul of all the presets with v11.xx in order to achieve the authenticity of the original album or it just can't be done?

Thanks,
Rich

AB, could you expound on this a bit?
"If you are using this TonePack in a tribute band, or looking to record/make the tones as identical as possible to the original songs, the most
accurate rendition (compared to the original albums) is still achieved using the original 6.04 firmware and the 6.x version TonePack. Don’t
worry, version 11.x is very very close to original album tones, but some tonal changes made by Fractal Audio to amp modeling in ARES 11.x simply
cannot be compensated for through EQ or gain adjustments."

Does this mean that it would require a complete overhaul of all the presets with v11.xx in order to achieve the authenticity of the original album or it just can't be done?

Thanks,
Rich
Well...to expound...It's really really really close for amp presets. For the presets that use no amp -- like acoustic guitar emulations, or the direct to board guitars (like Black Dog style) -- nothing has changed -- those are identical under either firmware.

We spent months dialing it in on 6.04 to get it 100% spot-on. But firmware 11 has a slightly different power amp "thing" than 6.04 did (according to Cliff's release notes). If you think it's a little too compressed under firmware 11 (which I initially found), then consider turning off "Speaker Comp" in the amps - you will see I lowered it from 1.0 to around 0.25 in the version 11 ones. It's slight, but noticeable to me, and I dialed it mostly back to get them as close to 6.04 as I could with the tools I had. It's just something in the power amp algorithm adjustment that probably can't be fixed with the available tools at hand, although I think turning off Speaker Comp fixes a LOT of the slight change I sensed. The only other variables to getting the tone right are the guitars you use, their pickups and volume/tone settings (covered in the preset/scene guide) and how you play... Mr. Page has a wonderful go-for-it style that is a thing unto itself for sure!

Trust me though, if you are playing along to the record, it is very hard to tell, the EQ is still right; the firmware 11 change effect is more of a feel and level of compression thing, so no big EQ shift at all. If I were in a touring tribute band, I'd probably just use firmware 6.04 and the original presets and not worry about it. But I've have no qualms at all if someone said I had to use firmware 11 and the updated presets - I've compared them A/B and this is all truly cork sniffing and mixer's golden ears territory.

There, I am all expounded out now... ;)

Cooper Carter @ccroyalsenders kindly said he is going to do a little demo of this TonePack sometime in next month or so, so stay tuned!

Well...to expound...It's really really really close for amp presets. For the presets that use no amp -- like acoustic guitar emulations, or the direct to board guitars (like Black Dog style) -- nothing has changed -- those are identical under either firmware.

We spent months dialing it in on 6.04 to get it 100% spot-on. But firmware 11 has a slightly different power amp "thing" than 6.04 did (according to Cliff's release notes). If you think it's a little too compressed under firmware 11 (which I initially found), then consider turning off "Speaker Comp" in the amps - you will see I lowered it from 1.0 to around 0.25 in the version 11 ones. It's slight, but noticeable to me, and I dialed it mostly back to get them as close to 6.04 as I could with the tools I had. It's just something in the power amp algorithm adjustment that probably can't be fixed with the available tools at hand, although I think turning off Speaker Comp fixes a LOT of the slight change I sensed. The only other variables to getting the tone right are the guitars you use, their pickups and volume/tone settings (covered in the preset/scene guide) and how you play... Mr. Page has a wonderful go-for-it style that is a thing unto itself for sure!

Trust me though, if you are playing along to the record, it is very hard to tell, the EQ is still right; the firmware 11 change effect is more of a feel and level of compression thing, so no big EQ shift at all. If I were in a touring tribute band, I'd probably just use firmware 6.04 and the original presets and not worry about it. But I've have no qualms at all if someone said I had to use firmware 11 and the updated presets - I've compared them A/B and this is all truly cork sniffing and mixer's golden ears territory.

There, I am all expounded out now... ;)

Cooper Carter @ccroyalsenders kindly said he is going to do a little demo of this TonePack sometime in next month or so, so stay tuned!
Thank you Buddy for taking your time to explain further. Just trying to soak all this in to help me dial in presets better.

Thank you Buddy for taking your time to explain further. Just trying to soak all this in to help me dial in presets better.

You are welcome... see this post for my musings on firmware 11 adjustments in general when I do A/B tests on the same presets also under 6.04 (which is still KILLER firmware).... I have two Axe-Fx IIIs so I can compare directly with an A/B switch on the floor...

Hi Gang: This will be a thread where I can answer questions about my latest "Brit Rock Royalty" TonePack series. TonePack #1 from this new series is out now! Update: added to videos below for examples!

Brit-Rock-Tonepack-1-3d.jpg

Description: After many months of work partnering for two great Austin-based musicians, am pleased to present a new series of TonePacks to come! These TonePacks are a little different than the Naked Amps and Dream Rigs products; they are designed to emulate and evoke the coolest and most iconic guitar tones of all time, by album and song part, starting with the past and working our way to present day.

The first in this new TonePack series is the Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #1, covering 36 songs and over 150 guitar scenes/sounds from this British foursome that changed the face of rock music forever with their first four albums in 1969-1971. Additional BRR TonePacks covering guitar tones from later albums by this legendary British foursome group are in the works!

Using your Axe-Fx III, our new Brit Rock Royalty (BRR) TonePacks let you instantly reproduce the timeless, iconic electric guitar tones that re-defined rock music forever.

The product contains a digital download preset bank consisting of stereo preset versions with correct panning, and volume-leveled (per album mix) by track "scene" to play along with your favorite I, II, III or IV albums.

Here are some video examples from I & II, using the stereo (correct pan) presets:

And some from III & IV:

The download bank also contains a complete set of mono presets for the same tracks/scenes, leveled at an average -12db, intended for live use. There are bonus early group live rigs, acoustic guitar emulators, and bass presets too, and two provided special User Cabs.

In addition to the READE ME User Guide, we include a detailed track by track preset scene guide that tells you exactly what guitar, pickup, volume and tone knob settings to use to produce the "Tone of the Gods!" Example:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-11.34.47-AM-1024x469.png

You'll get best results using a Les Paul style and a Telecaster style guitar, with vintage-style output pickups. It helps to have a Fractal FC12 or FC6 controller to navigate presets/scenes quickly when playing along, and an expression pedal to take full advantage of wahs, pans, volume swells, and other effects (like the Theremin emulation!).

Expect all the meticulous attention to exact tonal detail here that you've found in AustinBuddy's other TonePack products! These presets were designed on firmware 6.04 (recommended) but have been updated to version 11.x+ or higher, and the price includes two additional firmware upgrade versions if needed in future.

NEW: Here's a good example of Cooper Carter playing some the presets (from I and II):

Note: the pack will be on introductory sale through the end of 2019 at $99 (normal price is $119).

I got em! Pretty sweet. I like that he gives little descriptions and tips on each one of them.

Great tones. I am new to the expression pedal and set it up connected as pedal 1 off the Ax, is there a global way to change AB's setting that has the expression pedal connected to the FC foot controller. Apologies for the NOOB question. And I have read the manual.!

Great tones. I am new to the expression pedal and set it up connected as pedal 1 off the Ax, is there a global way to change AB's setting that has the expression pedal connected to the FC foot controller. Apologies for the NOOB question. And I have read the manual.!
Not globally I don’t think unfortunately (anyone else?).

In the preset, you “right button click” over the block parameter being controlled (wah, panning, Theremin) and in top left of dialogue menu you can pick Exp 1 or whatever pedal you have attached. Remember to calibrate the pedal ( see Axe III manual). Hope that helps. Away from my machine but maybe can post a screen shot here later this afternoon...

Thanks AustinBuddy, if you have time a screenshot would be great - I dont see the dialogue box you refer to. And if anyone has a global solution as opposed to editing each block as needed, would be great to know.

Thanks AustinBuddy, if you have time a screenshot would be great - I dont see the dialogue box you refer to. And if anyone has a global solution as opposed to editing each block as needed, would be great to know.
@sundancer50 - here is example. Go to Shakin' Me preset. Right Click on the WAH block. It will open up this dialogue box:

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 3.56.06 PM.png

Note that the WAH is assigned (upper top left) to FC 1 Pedal 1 in the controller's SOURCE.

Now, click in the black area above the word "Source" and it will open another window that lists all the options. This is what you will see:

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 3.57.54 PM.png

All you have to do now is selected External 1 instead of FC 1 Pedal 1. Now try the wah. If it's hooked up to External 1 and you turn th ewah block ON, you should here it work.

Then close the window. It should look like this now.

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 3.59.33 PM.png

Now close this window, then SAVE the preset (else it will not remember your changes).

Now -- there is a way I think to globally to set all your FC 1 Pedal 1 controls to use External 1, but I don't know offhand exactly how to do it and maybe someone here can help with those steps (the manual probably tells how). You will want to do it globally and to calibrate your Exp Pedal too - -see the manual.

Once you get that done, then try the Whole Lotta' preset theremin scene -- that's a ton of fun to control with your foot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom