Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy LedZ "BRIT ROCK ROYALTY #1" TonePack for Cygnus X2 available!

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I'll preface this by confessing that I'm a mediocre guitarist at best, nor am I an AxeFXpert (despite years of ownership), so I will leave it to others to give this tone pack a 'proper' review. And despite having stayed up all night playing until my fingers are numb and disfigured, I haven't even made it through more than half the tones here.

With that out of the way, I am beside myself with how much fun is in here. I positively shudder to think what accomplished guitarists will do with these, but even for a middling hack like myself, this sounds and feels like a true study in Led Zeppelin -- a tome from the Great Courses library -- one that will keep me occupied for many, many months to come.

Over the years, I had learned some Led Zep riffs here and there, as one does, but it was never very gratifying because it never really sounded much like Jimmy Page. And yet this evening, I spent a full hour just on Moby Dick alone, because the tone was THERE, all it required was practice. And when one has the right tone, a wonderful feedback loop happens, and time just kinda flies by. I've often felt that my Gibson R9 (with a Jimmy Page spec neck, no less) was embarrassing overkill for a player of my caliber, but tonight, with AustinBuddy's help, I almost feel like I deserve it. Or will, in the coming weeks and months, anyway. :blush:

So, from my humble perspective as a lover of guitar and Led Zeppelin, though not necessarily an aficionado of either, this tone pack is well worth every nickel and then some. It is a "deep dive" to borrow AustinBuddy's phrase, of perhaps the single greatest rock band of all time. And the educational value alone -- to say nothing of the ability to pull up these tones at will and play along with my collection of Led Zep FLACs -- simply blows me away.

So thanks again for all your tremendous work, AustinBuddy. You're really spreading some joy. :smiley:👍

Very cool. Thanks @austinbuddy. Are you considering AX8 TonePacks?
I am trying to figure out how to do something for Ax8 part BUT to do these studio-signal tones you need lots of CPU and scene switching, and the blocks are limited in Ax8 (for tones and multiple scenes often need multiple compressors and EQs, limited factory cabs)... and Axe III lets me do a song in one preset that probably would take 3 or 4 in AX8 ....so it would be a different, probably mono only for example and more geared for live use only... but not saying “no”, just that some compromises would be necessary...

Last edited:
I'll preface this by confessing that I'm a mediocre guitarist at best, nor am I an AxeFXpert (despite years of ownership), so I will leave it to others to give this tone pack a 'proper' review. And despite having stayed up all night playing until my fingers are numb and disfigured, I haven't even made it through more than half the tones here.

With that out of the way, I am beside myself with how much fun is in here. I positively shudder to think what accomplished guitarists will do with these, but even for a middling hack like myself, this sounds and feels like a true study in Led Zeppelin -- a tome from the Great Courses library -- one that will keep me occupied for many, many months to come.

Over the years, I had learned some Led Zep riffs here and there, as one does, but it was never very gratifying because it never really sounded much like Jimmy Page. And yet this evening, I spent a full hour just on Moby Dick alone, because the tone was THERE, all it required was practice. And when one has the right tone, a wonderful feedback loop happens, and time just kinda flies by. I've often felt that my Gibson R9 (with a Jimmy Page spec neck, no less) was embarrassing overkill for a player of my caliber, but tonight, with AustinBuddy's help, I almost feel like I deserve it. Or will, in the coming weeks and months, anyway. :blush:

So, from my humble perspective as a lover of guitar and Led Zeppelin, though not necessarily an aficionado of either, this tone pack is well worth every nickel and then some. It is a "deep dive" to borrow AustinBuddy's phrase, of perhaps the single greatest rock band of all time. And the educational value alone -- to say nothing of the ability to pull up these tones at will and play along with my collection of Led Zep FLACs -- simply blows me away.

So thanks again for all your tremendous work, AustinBuddy. You're really spreading some joy. :smiley:👍
@Fleece You have so eloquently said what I really strive for in all my TonePacks - I call it the democratization of great tone, so you feel truly inspired when you play.

Truly touched by your words here — great way to start my day, thank you so much!

Last edited:
@plyall that is fair and I know some would react this way. It's intentional though...you might want to look up trademark law.

You or I can't legally use the name of a band like this in a product we sell. The band name is well-trademarked, and thus can't be used in a commercial project without permission. Just like a band would not look kindly on you or I selling t-shirts with a band's name on it without their permission.

So, in order to be able to do this product, had to do things a certain way to make sure trademarks and copyrights were not infringed, including consulting with savvy Los Angeles entertainment lawyers. I'm using an Axe-Fx III to emulate and evoke the tones contained on these albums, and that is allowed as long as I steer clear of trying to use the band's name or song names in the process. You can legally protect recordings and samples from albums and songs, but these presets are neither of these technically. They are just software instructions to a piece of hardware that, when used with appropriate gear (Les Paul, Tele) models and emulates equipment that can produce those same tones.

So on any of the products coming in this "Brit Rock Royalty" TonePack series, you will not see an actual band name, or the actual song names.... but the tell-tale clues are there, I just can't cross a line and violate a trademark. (Hey, I gave you guys a real public domain Hindenburg Tonepack cover photo -- and it is not the photo used on their 1st album!) and we used roman numerals to refer to their four albums!)

I have nothing but the greatest reverence for this band (even more so after doing this deep dive). Demos are also going to be tricky to avoid similar legal stuff, but we'll see. Someone not affiliated with AustinBuddy can probably do them for educational purposes without risk. Stay tuned.
I am purchasing it tonight and will add videos to this page tonight

If any of you are planning to try the included bonus preset designed for a real acoustic guitar with a condensor-style a mic preamp into the Axe-FX III preset called "4 RealAcousticGtr; Use w/Mic&Pre"- the presets' cab block incorrectly points to U2 1024. Thanks to @CipherHost for catching this!

Easy fix you can do - just point this presets' cab to the one you installed called U1 0055 (BRR null preamp- AB). It's the same cab I used, and all good. Ive already fixed this, so all future orders won't have this issue.

If you bought it since Friday, should look like this (below) after the fix in your Axe-III, in case you want to do yourself now.

Had used Fractool to extract cab list for the TonePack and looked at every cab assigned to make sure they were pointing to U1 0055 or U1 0056 for applicable presets, but somehow missed this one...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.31.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-01 at 7.31.35 PM.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Can I just say what a badass avatar you have.

Bought this on the weekend, i had to actually turn up my guitar in the mix, because i wasn't sure if what i was hearing was myself or Page. Also a good lesson on dialing up tones for the mix, rather than what sounds good in isolation. Just an example, The solo in Good Times Bad Rhymes, i wouldn't normally dial in a sound like that, but it does nail it, well done

Hi Gang: This will be a thread where I can answer questions about my latest "Brit Rock Royalty" TonePack series. TonePack #1 from this new series is out now!

Brit-Rock-Tonepack-1-3d.jpg

Description: After many months of work partnering for two great Austin-based musicians, am pleased to present a new series of TonePacks to come! These TonePacks are a little different than the Naked Amps and Dream Rigs products; they are designed to emulate and evoke the coolest and most iconic guitar tones of all time, by album and song part, starting with the past and working our way to present day.

The first in this new TonePack series is the Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #1, covering 36 songs and over 150 guitar scenes/sounds from this British foursome that changed the face of rock music forever with their first four albums in 1969-1971. Additional BRR TonePacks covering guitar tones from later albums by this legendary British foursome group are in the works!

Using your Axe-Fx III, our new Brit Rock Royalty (BRR) TonePacks let you instantly reproduce the timeless, iconic electric guitar tones that re-defined rock music forever.

The product contains a digital download preset bank consisting of stereo preset versions with correct panning, and volume-leveled (per album mix) by track "scene" to play along with your favorite I, II, III or IV albums.

The download bank also contains a complete set of mono presets for the same tracks/scenes, leveled at an average -12db, intended for live use. There are bonus early group live rigs, acoustic guitar emulators, and bass presets too, and two provided special User Cabs.

In addition to the READE ME User Guide, we include a detailed track by track preset scene guide that tells you exactly what guitar, pickup, volume and tone knob settings to use to produce the "Tone of the Gods!" Example:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-11.34.47-AM-1024x469.png

You'll get best results using a Les Paul style and a Telecaster style guitar, with vintage-style output pickups. It helps to have a Fractal FC12 or FC6 controller to navigate presets/scenes quickly when playing along, and an expression pedal to take full advantage of wahs, pans, volume swells, and other effects (like the Theremin emulation!).

Expect all the meticulous attention to exact tonal detail here that you've found in AustinBuddy's other TonePack products! These presets were designed on firmware 6.04 (recommended) but work fine on 7.x, and the price includes two additional firmware upgrade versions if needed in future.

We'll get some video examples up in a different thread - stay tuned!

Note: the pack will be on introductory sale through the end of 2019 at $99 (normal price is $119).

Back
Top Bottom