Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Your 140+ .temp version which I bought and downloaded reveals that despite of back to v.11.1 public f/w, it becomes mute with no sound when LCD on FC6 displays " = =/ or (Resrvd4fu) and gbtfc "... How can I help myself?
Those presets are empty and blank by design.

Reactions: Rex
Your 140+ .temp version which I bought and downloaded reveals that despite of back to v.11.1 public f/w, it becomes mute with no sound when LCD on FC6 displays " = =/ or (Resrvd4fu) and gbtfc "... How can I help myself?
"Resrvd4fu" means "Reserved for future use." ;)

Sale is until midnight December 31st Austin TX time (Central US).

Yes, the point of this pack is to have good amp/cab p[airings for every amp model available in the Ax-Fx. I use every single amp channel/model (more than 260+ - see Cooper Carter video for examples, he used this TonePack to make 263 clips from the 1000 tones available at the time) at least once, and usually up to 8 examples (8 scenes in a preset).

Originally started this in late 2016 for myself -- like you I wanted to hear everything available, and I had been talking to Fractal Audio's Matt Picone about how helpful this would be beyond the provided Factory presets (which as you suspected do not cover every single amp model). Plus I wanted to save time dialing in myself/have a good base tone ready to go the sounds like the real amp's iconic DNA - Fender that sounds like a Fender, a Vox like a Vox, a Marshall like a Marshall, a Dumble like a Dumble, Mesa-Boogie Rectifier like a Dual Rectifier, a Bogner like a Bogner, etc... all are amps I've played before and have heard on record, so I know what to go for.

A lot of the art is to pair a pleasing cab with the right amp (and many cabs can go with an amp to give it different flavors). Cabs are half the sound. When you have 2000+ cabs to choose from, it can be daunting to do this for 260 amps models. @yek has an amp and cab guide on the public Fractal Wiki that was tremendously helpful in that regard.

Another huge part of the art is getting a balanced tone, and to level it properly. Can't stress the preset leveling part enough - I have had amps that sounded wimpy then I added 2 db of level (which does not change the tone) and they came alive out of my speakers. Knowing how to gain stage and level presets for your playback system is a key part to creating greats tones/sounds. I've been a beta team tester for 10 years so known my way around the unit pretty well now...

So in a way, what you really pay for is someone who spent hundreds and hundreds of hours doing a lot of the work for you to tee up a nice base preset (200+ presets with up to 8 scenes = 1400 different tones) that you can then tweak to your own playing style, guitars, and playback system for that last mile. Make sense?

I've had my Axe FX III for just over a year now and never had a chance to play with all the various amps because I simply didn't have the time to figure out how to dial them in. I've gone through Cooper Carter's MasterClass, watched countless videos from Leon Todd and have really learned a lot over the last year. But your presets let me dive in and really experience the tone of all these amps without having to dig into wiki's and watch videos showing me how best to dial them in. And wow, there's some fantastic tones in here!! In my opinion your naked amps pack should be included with the Axe FX III so that everyone can enjoy all the various amps right out of the box. And for those who want to dive deeper and program tones themselves they would still have the option. In any case, I'm very grateful for what you do, I'm grateful for Cooper Carter and his amazing Master Class, Leon Todd for his helpful videos and also Mikko who has come up with a fantastic tool to setup custom IR's. I'm happy to support this great community, and it's money well spent to help me enjoy all that this amazing piece of technology has to offer. Cheers and all the best to you.

Last edited:
There is also choruses on certain presets. It is not an FX show off but it has good examples of elementary good presets for some.

Every patch has a a drive block, clean boost, delay, reverb and looper.

Some presets or scenes may have a fuzz, distortion, phaser, univibe, pitch shift, pitch detune, rotary, flanger or chorus.

If the real amp has tremolo the preset will too.

So there are “Easter egg” effects sprinkled throughout which can vary by scene. You can save an effect block you like and then import it into any other preset you want.

I've had my Axe FX III for just over a year now and never had a chance to play with all the various amps because I simply didn't have the time to figure out how to dial them in. I've gone through Cooper Carter's MasterClass, watched countless videos from Leon Todd and have really learned a lot over the last year. But your presets let me dive in and really experience the tone of all these amps without having to dig into wiki's and watch videos showing me how best to dial them in. And wow, there's some fantastic tones in here!! In my opinion your naked amps pack should be included with the Axe FX III so that everyone can enjoy all the various amps right out of the box. And for those who want to dive deeper and program tones themselves they would still have the option. In any case, I'm very grateful for what you do, I'm grateful for Cooper Carter and his amazing Master Class, Leon Todd for his helpful videos and also Mikko who has come up with a fantastic tool to setup custom IR's. I'm happy to support this great community, and it's money well spent to help me enjoy all that this amazing piece of technology has to offer. Cheers and all the best to you.
Thank you @Rekster for the kind words, appreciated!

This Fractal community is AWESOME. People like Cooper Carter, Yek, Rex, Leon Todd, Brett Kingman and on and on give so much.

I'm truly honored and humbled to be a part of this and help lift the community and Fractal users up anyway I can. All the things I make and sell are things I personally wanted and would use myself, and am so glad so many others see the value and benefit from all those efforts.

A little update on v11 TonePack...

Keep using the one available (says Temp in downloads but it's good).

Right now I'm working on updating the User Manual to be more comprehensive, and producing updated and detailed FC page layouts 1-8 for both the FC-12 and the FC-6, and any little tweaks to the v11 files (like the Tremolux cab type being wrong).

I think the customized FC-12 and Fc-6 layouts and global system files for the next round (coming) will help some folks navigate the Naked Amps presets and scenes with their foot controllers a little easier, so putting the time into them.

That said, I may wait a little to see what the new flangers are like and try to update those in the presets before I make all this work since end of year available. I'm stupid excited to hear them (I'm still on 11.1 and waiting for a final public, not beta) as I am a FLANGER-MAN!

I'm also thinking of attaching the Tap Tempo to MOST (not all) of the existing preset delays (at least the channel it defaults to) - any reactions to that idea?

Any other problems or suggested improvements? Let me know here or email me.

Also, I'll be heading to NAMM next week for the full four days and maybe will see some folks out there!

A little update on v11 TonePack...

Keep using the one available (says Temp in downloads but it's good).

Right now I'm working on updating the User Manual to be more comprehensive, and producing updated and detailed FC page layouts 1-8 for both the FC-12 and the FC-6, and any little tweaks to the v11 files (like the Tremolux cab
I think the customized FC-12 and Fc-6 layouts and global system files for the next roun..
--------------------------

In my MyAccount-Download, "Remaining Download" is running out. If it reaches to "0", then shall I pay once again to update 1400+ presets you are working on day by day basis? Otherwise, just sit back until the end of this year round and then update at one time when your update procedure finally completed on v11.1?...I'm not sure...Thanks for your endeavor .

Email me. I can reset your downloads.

I am avoiding charging for future updates best I can, so far so good, have not done so on any product to date — and hope not to have to. Just have to reserve the right if a future unknown firmware has me starting from scratch and thus takes months to update. I don’t expect any 2020 Naked Amps update will require a charge, but unknowable until a future firmware requiring an update is visible...

I'm also thinking of attaching the Tap Tempo to MOST (not all) of the existing preset delays (at least the channel it defaults to) - any reactions to that idea?

Any other problems or suggested improvements? Let me know here or email me.
Personally, I like the idea of having the delays tied to the tap-tempo. In general, I do this for any of your presets that I use.

1 requested addition:I like the way you've dialed in some of the effects. I'd love to see you save out these effects blocks. IIRC, you did this on the AX8 TonePack and I found that to be as useful, or more useful, than full presets for my workflow.

Have these been updated yet?
This week I checked all of them and they are actually okay as is, except I think Waterfall rhythm had a panner turned on in a scene. Fixed for next release. I am waiting for the new flanger block in a final public firmware and will post the final version of all after that, but the Temp bank is fine.

Folks have been talking about how well the presets are volume matched. I find the cleaner tones much quieter than driven ones. I'm on the subway so I can't give specific examples, but that's my general impression.

Logically that would seem to mean that my input level is too low, but I thought I had it barely in the red when I bang hard.

Thoughts?

Just to be clear, this is not a diss of @austinbuddy or this pack, just trying to understand, being new to the Fractal world.

Last edited:
Folks have been talking about how well the presets are volume matched. I find the cleaner tones much quieter than driven ones. I'm on the driveway so I can't give specific examples, but that's my general impression.

Logically that would seem to mean that my input level is too low, but I thought I had it barely in the red when I bang hard.

Thoughts?
Yes, it means input signal hitting the amp blocks are lower than the preset's amps were dialed in for. The input level you dialed in is more for the sake of noise floor than level, as the level adjustment is mostly compensated for inside the Axe.

AB Naked Amp presets usually have a boost or two to bring the guitar level up until the levels are balanced between clean and dirty amps.

Yes, it means input signal hitting the amp blocks are lower than the preset's amps were dialed in for. The input level you dialed in is more for the sake of noise floor than level, as the level adjustment is mostly compensated for inside the Axe.

AB Naked Amp presets usually have a boost or two to bring the guitar level up until the levels are balanced between clean and dirty amps.
Do you mean we're supposed to raise that boost until clean and dirty match on some particular preset, then copy that everywhere?

I confess to not having RTFM, haven't even auditioned all of them yet.

Folks have been talking about how well the presets are volume matched. I find the cleaner tones much quieter than driven ones. I'm on the subway so I can't give specific examples, but that's my general impression.

Thoughts?

Just to be clear, this is not a diss of @austinbuddy or this pack, just trying to understand, being new to the Fractal world.

Hey @Dave Merrill -- to help or explain, I have a few questions.

Are you switching to a single coil from a humbucker to play your cleans? If so, then you MUST turn on the filter boost "Kicker Coil." at 5db to make that single coil pickup hit the amp as hard as the humbucker does, if you want the volume to be the same when you switch pickups. This is originally a 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack feature now included in the 1400+ Naked Amps.

Are you using Vintage style pickups (low output) or modern ones?

Are you playing the neck or the bridge?

Is neck louder than bridge (it should be on cleans due to bass content, but that is also pickup dependent).

Do you play live with cleans that are as loud as your leads?

Usually the Naked Amp cleans will be fine and in line with volume of low and medium gain, but the lead sounds a little louder. That's because oyu have to set lead levels in upper registers to hit -12db+, not chords down the neck like you would for other sounds. The higher up you play, the lower the signal strength (skinnier strings) - the lead presets try to take that into account and are a somewhat hotter.

I'll also add that Fletcher Munson effect can be tricky on judging loudness of sounds with different tonal content. I have had people swear a hi-gain amp is much louder than a clean and I showed them side-by-side meter readings being virtually equal using a looper for same chords, and they could not believe it. All that mids and chewy harmonic content and 4X12 cab can make you think something is louder than scooped Fender sound in a 1x12 open back, but 'taint always so, at least my experience has taught me.

The good news is, you have the tools to make these presets as loud or soft as you like -- that "last mile" to customize to you is always in your hands!

Last, (and this is important) the transients in many cleans are far more likely to spike the output, especially on higher output pickups. Many clean amp models have a very wide dynamic range.

For example, try the Shiva Clean with humbuckers then single coils. Whack it good and soft and watch it on a meter -- it is a WIDE range, transients spike stuff.

So - some of these cleans are dialed a little back to make sure the headroom is ample and enough before signal hitting 0 db, because if you hit that clean hard with your guitar/pickups, or add the provided control for Amp Boost to an existing preset then it could have clipped/digitally distorted, unlike the dirtier amp channels where that is less and issue.

If I turn the preset level back so it doesn't do that, then it's quieter -- but I do have to build in headroom so everyone avoids clipping when they fiddle with the switches or drive blocks (at least, where I can...).

Hope that helps put some context in it? You can always turn up the LEVEL control on a clean amp 1 db or 2db and see if that's better to your ears -- but remember you need to leave headroom to avoid transient spikes when you whack that guitar.

Last edited:
Hey @Dave Merrill -- to help or explain, I have a few questions.

Are you switching to a single coil from a humbucker to play your cleans? If so, then you MUST turn on the filter boost "Kicker Coil." at 5db to make that single coil pickup hit the amp as hard as the humbucker does, if you want the volume to be the same when you switch pickups. This is originally a 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack feature now included in the 1400+ Naked Amps.

Are you using Vintage style pickups (low output) or modern ones?

Are you playing the neck or the bridge?

Is neck louder than bridge (it should be on cleans due to bass content, but that is also pickup dependent).

Do you play live with cleans that are as loud as your leads?

Usually the Naked Amp cleans will be fine and in line with volume of low and medium gain, but the lead sounds a little louder. That's because oyu have to set lead levels in upper registers to hit -12db+, not chords down the neck like you would for other sounds. The higher up you play, the lower the signal strength (skinnier strings) - the lead presets try to take that into account and are a somewhat hotter.

I'll also add that Fletcher Munson effect can be tricky on judging loudness of sounds with different tonal content. I have had people swear a hi-gain amp is much louder than a clean and I showed them side-by-side meter readings being virtually equal using a looper for same chords, and they could not believe it. All that mids and chewy harmonic content and 4X12 cab can make you think something is louder than scooped Fender sound in a 1x12 open back, but 'taint always so, at least my experience has taught me.

The good news is, you have the tools to make these presets as loud or soft as you like -- that "last mile" to customize to you is always in your hands!

Last, (and this is important) the transients in many cleans are far more likely to spike the output, especially on higher output pickups. Many clean amp models have a very wide dynamic range.

For example, try the Shiva Clean with humbuckers then single coils. Whack it good and soft and watch it on a meter -- it is a WIDE range, transients spike stuff.

So - some of these cleans are dialed a little back to make sure the headroom is ample and enough before signal hitting 0 db, because if you hit that clean hard with your guitar/pickups, or add the provided control for Amp Boost to an existing preset then it could have clipped/digitally distorted, unlike the dirtier amp channels where that is less and issue.

If I turn the preset level back so it doesn't do that, then it's quieter -- but I do have to build in headroom so everyone avoids clipping when they fiddle with the switches or drive blocks (at least, where I can...).

Hope that helps put some context in it? You can always turn up the LEVEL control on a clean amp 1 db or 2db and see if that's better to your ears -- but remember you need to leave headroom to avoid transient spikes when you whack that guitar.
Thanks for replying @austinbuddy, much appreciated.

What I want is to adjust things so I'm hearing your presets as they were intended, as clean and as dirty as you meant them. I'm aware of the dynamic range difference between cleans and overdriven tones, Fletcher-Munson, and all that -- I've been playing well over 50 years.

To answer your questions...
I'm playing an EJ strat with the stock pickups pretty exclusively, no humbuckers. Those are pretty vintage-ish relatively low output units I think, but this is the first strat I've had since high school, so I don't really have anything to personally compare with. I have another guitar with 3 old DiMarzio PAFs, but I haven't tried it with the III yet.

I use all 5 pickup switch positions. I typically roll tone down for bridge pickup by itself, for some more fullness and tonal balance with the other positions. That's pretty common for me, any guitar, any pickups. Bridge pickup is probably closer to the strings to even out volume. I may swap it out, maybe for an HS-2, looking for that fullness. I lowered the middle pickup recently, didn't care for its tone by itself, lower is better. I think

I want to be able to play clean solos as well as driven ones, but I know how to adjust output volume, by preset, scene, or an ad hoc footswitch, that's not the issue. My questions are about getting the amount of drive you intended for each patch, which means having roughly the "standard" input signal level coming in.

Sounds like my original thought was right: If drive tones are significantly louder than cleans, that's not how they are for you, or others who have this pack, so my guitar needs to be louder, but without causing cleans to break up unattractively. Will investigate. :)

Hope this all makes sense, and thanks again for jumping in.

Back
Top Bottom