Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Time is running out toward July 4th, as you announced for FM3 presets. Hoping that no delay occurs during the timeframe now and then...awaiting now...
It is still reachable to release by July 4 (If exclude the eventual video tutorials and FC layout extras). Bank 1 is done, Bank 2 is coming along fast now and will be done by this Sunday, and Bank 3 is next week and the week after. Periphery’s Mark Holcomb (who lives in Austin) agreed this week to help me with some of the bank 3 metal/modern prog amp style presets too, which is super kind of him. So that is still my goal. Stuff can still happen to delay things though...

It is still reachable to release by July 4 (If exclude the eventual video tutorials and FC layout extras). Bank 1 is done, Bank 2 is coming along fast now and will be done by this Sunday, and Bank 3 is next week and the week after. Periphery’s Mark Holcomb (who lives in Austin) agreed this week to help me with some of the bank 3 metal/modern prog amp style presets too, which is super kind of him. So that is still my goal. Stuff can still happen to delay things though...

I can't wait! It's such a pain for me to get levels set between presets and scenes because the rest of the band has a short attention span for that sort of thing :) Having that done for me saves so much time, totally worth the price. What will the price be anyway?

I can't wait! It's such a pain for me to get levels set between presets and scenes because the rest of the band has a short attention span for that sort of thing :) Having that done for me saves so much time, totally worth the price. What will the price be anyway?
Forgive me AB, and every other preset maker, but every preset pack or single preset I've ever purchased or downloaded has needed adjustments to work for me. Scene levels, overall preset levels, tonal balance, it all needs to be set up for my guitar, my hands, my monitoring, my ears, my neuroses, yadda.

I absolutely don't mean AB's stuff isn't useful, it absolutely is. Just don't plan on it being wall to wall perfection straight out of the box, just download and gig the Garden. That's not reality in my experience.

Give yourself time to work this stuff out, make it your own, without singers and all breathing down your neck.

YMMV, just my $0.00002 etc.

Well vendors would still need to update their presets because if someone is just buying the presets now they'd likely expect that they're for the latest firmware. I'd think the consideration of updating is built into the price, but maybe not. I'd understand if there needed to be a small update charge, especially for something as huge as the naked amps pack.
I think you’re assuming that there is some known frequency of firmware releases, or a schedule. There isn’t. I think these vendors do so out of generosity unless they put something in writing to that effect.

Forgive me AB, and every other preset maker, but every preset pack or single preset I've ever purchased or downloaded has needed adjustments to work for me. Scene levels, overall preset levels, tonal balance, it all needs to be set up for my guitar, my hands, my monitoring, my ears, my neuroses, yadda.

I absolutely don't mean AB's stuff isn't useful, it absolutely is. Just don't plan on it being wall to wall perfection straight out of the box, just download and gig the Garden. That's not reality in my experience.

Give yourself time to work this stuff out, make it your own, without singers and all breathing down your neck.

The best way to get things dialed in is in a whole band setting. With a dozen presets each with 5-6 scenes the time adds up. With the naked amps pack I had to tweak very little. Starting with presets made by an expert saves me a bunch of time and therefore money. Not having to mix and match scenes from different presets because the packs are built with live performance in mind saves me even more time making it an even better value for me.

I don't disagree with this, in that every player has their hands, guitars, pickups, playback systems and ways of hearing bass/mids/highs. The TonePack user manual states this, basically that the "last mile" to tweak for your use is in your own hands.

Drive blocks in particular are very personal choices and should be up to the users. For example, I'm personally not a fan of a TS808 myself tonally, but I do understand why some use it.

What I've done is get you a pretty true representation (conventionally anyway) of what that amp does and sounds like, at least from a recording engineer's/producer's perspective, and saved you weeks and months of time trying to dial all this stuff in for 270+ amp models yourself.

It's a lot easier to get inspired and spend more time playing and less time fiddling when you start out with an AustinBuddy TonePack. And many many people have told me my TonePacks "made my Axe/Fx/AX8 come alive" as they initially struggled with it.

That was the real need I try to fill in doing this ridiculous amount of work -- to give everyone access to great and useable amp sounds to start with, that can inspire you, and that you can make your own. Cheers!

Last edited:
The best way to get things dialed in is in a whole band setting. With a dozen presets each with 5-6 scenes the time adds up. With the naked amps pack I had to tweak very little. Starting with presets made by an expert saves me a bunch of time and therefore money. Not having to mix and match scenes from different presets because the packs are built with live performance in mind saves me even more time making it an even better value for me.
Amen - If you play in a band (not a bedroom), then to sound good and punch through the mix, "its all about those mids baby, all about dem mids." :) Thats' why I use a lot of low end cut and some hi cut - getting those mids focused.

I think you’re assuming that there is some known frequency of firmware releases, or a schedule. There isn’t. I think these vendors do so out of generosity unless they put something in writing to that effect.

:D There is NO fixed schedule for firmwares -- it's all from the genius mind of Cliff Chase, when he gets inspired to make things better or fix something -- and we are all lucky as hell to benefit from it for FREE!

Never see anyone suggesting Fractal should charge for each firmware update, do ya? ;)

Hi Austin Buddy,
Got the Axe FX III on June 7th; updated to firmware 12p9.
Bought your Naked Amp Tone Packs yesterday ('today'.... it's 1 am in the morning here in the UK and I've been playing through the sounds for hours!!)

Came across a few little glitches for firmware 12p9/Tone Pack combo.

The two JVM Satch Patches (61 and 62 on your inventory) drop out and pop.
Similarly, so does the 2Ch Dual Rec (no 105).

I've not played all the patches (yet!) so this is an anecdotal offering rather than a comprehensive test.
The good news is I've restored firmware 12p7 (found it on a French axefx site- axefx.fr , seems legitimate) and the problematic presets work fine.

Got to do some re-amping tomorrow, so I'm leaving 12p7 in place....

Peace
Rhydian

Hi Austin Buddy,
Got the Axe FX III on June 7th; updated to firmware 12p9.
Bought your Naked Amp Tone Packs yesterday ('today'.... it's 1 am in the morning here in the UK and I've been playing through the sounds for hours!!)

Came across a few little glitches for firmware 12p9/Tone Pack combo.

The two JVM Satch Patches (61 and 62 on your inventory) drop out and pop.
Similarly, so does the 2Ch Dual Rec (no 105).

I've not played all the patches (yet!) so this is an anecdotal offering rather than a comprehensive test.
The good news is I've restored firmware 12p7 (found it on a French axefx site- axefx.fr , seems legitimate) and the problematic presets work fine.

Got to do some re-amping tomorrow, so I'm leaving 12p7 in place....

Peace
Rhydian
Rhydian, the two presets you mention in your post won’t have that issue on firmware 12.07. Something changed in firmware 12.08 and 12.09 that causes the issue, and I am told Fractal Audio is aware of it and it will be fixed in future firmware.

BTW, Cliff posted about this issue here today.

So I am waiting for that before I do anything to address it, but it is a known issue.

Glad you are enjoying the tones!

Last edited:
Hi .... still waiting for firmware that will solve problem with two amps presets , many ones from buddy s pack , even if this Fw add nothine else ...

Hi .... still waiting for firmware that will solve problem with two amps presets , many ones from buddy s pack , even if this Fw add nothine else ...
Roll back to 12.07 until Cliff and company release the fix in mext firmware update is all I can suggest. That timing is beyond my control. It’s not a specific preset issue from all I understand. The next firmware should solve the issue, until then, just roll back if you need to use those affected presets for something.

Thanks Austin .... I m still on 12.07 , waiting for the trouble to be solved and appreciate the new toys of this firmware ...

So Cliff has uploaded firmware 12.10 but you MUST upgrade to the new Axe-Edit 1.06 BEFORE you upgrade to 12.10.

From the release notes:

See if this firmware 12.10 fixes the pop and crackle issues some of you have reported. Let me know here what you find.

-----

Changed External Controller Initial Values to be continuously adjustable from 0 to 100%.

Fixed Amp block crackling in rare cases. (highlight is mine - AB)

Fixed Amp block Variac has no effect when Supply Type is set to DC.

Fixed NaN if Reverb block Crossover Freq is set very high and Low Freq Time is set very low.

NOTE: This firmware is NOT compatible with Axe-Edit versions prior to 1.06.00. You MUST install 1.06.00 or later BEFORE using Axe-Edit with this firmware.

Axe-Edit 1.06 is here. Cliff says you MUST install this first, before upgrading to firmware 12.10!

Firmware 12.10 for Axe-Fx III Is here (for now).

Back
Top Bottom