Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Hey gents....starting to prep for a minor 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack update (good news: the amp sounds don't change under firmware 12... but the phaser and flangers do) using the eventual firmware 12...

I'm thinking of switching any preset Wah pedals to point to External 1 instead of FC pdl 1 from now on.

Any objections??? This will help those of you who use the back of the unit (Pedal 1 out) and/or don't use an FC-12 or FC-6.

(I'll also get this same change done for next iteration of Brit Rock Royalty #1 TonePack too...)

Because you can assign External 1 in the hardware to whatever source you like globally... all from one spot to fix it globally, rather than preset by preset....

I cover how to do that in my latest Axe-Fx III "Getting Started" Part 7 foot-controller stuff video here. At about 3:42 I cover how to set the external 1 to your own pedal Also, I have some more FC (layout) videos to come. These videos are aimed at newcomers and beginners...

RJM user here, so got my vote!! Thanks AB!

Hi, I have a question. I'll start by saying that I have watched your excellent videos & tried to read what I can find about the subject but although it could be there, as yet, I haven't found the answer.

I have the Naked Amps pack. Like a few people I use Bank A for my favourites & dragging in presets from various sources to try, adapt etc.

What I'd like to know is, & yes it will probably sound stupid, do you have a recommended method for trying out all of your presets? Is it best to audition one at a time & decide whether to add them to Bank A. Perhaps load a complete one of your banks to Bank D & try one by one. Or load all banks at once? Obviously I ask because I wish to retain the use of the AF3 while I try these out & decide which ones will be most useful to me. I have no doubt that they will all be fantastic but I also doubt whether I'll end up using them all for a gig!

I use a real 2x12 cab with a SS power amp so always move the cab block to Out 1 & leave Out 2 without a cab block. Meaning that it's a lot of work to slightly re organise presets that I wish to use so I'd like to get this right from the outset!

Cheers

Hi, I have a question. I'll start by saying that I have watched your excellent videos & tried to read what I can find about the subject but although it could be there, as yet, I haven't found the answer.

I have the Naked Amps pack. Like a few people I use Bank A for my favourites & dragging in presets from various sources to try, adapt etc.

What I'd like to know is, & yes it will probably sound stupid, do you have a recommended method for trying out all of your presets? Is it best to audition one at a time & decide whether to add them to Bank A. Perhaps load a complete one of your banks to Bank D & try one by one. Or load all banks at once? Obviously I ask because I wish to retain the use of the AF3 while I try these out & decide which ones will be most useful to me. I have no doubt that they will all be fantastic but I also doubt whether I'll end up using them all for a gig!

I use a real 2x12 cab with a SS power amp so always move the cab block to Out 1 & leave Out 2 without a cab block. Meaning that it's a lot of work to slightly re organise presets that I wish to use so I'd like to get this right from the outset!

Cheers
If it were me, I'd leave Bank A open (blank). I'd not do anything in the first 20 presets. Then I'd load Naked Amps into Bank B. I'd start going through them one by one. When I found one I liked and could use in live or recording, I'd copy it from Bank B into Bank A slot 21. I'd go through them all (120) and presumably you'll find you really like 1 in 4, so that's 30 you copy into bank A. Take your time, with 8 scenes per preset you'll need many night/s weekends to go through them all.

Then repeat the process, load Naked Amps Bank B. It's a little easier to do it if you put into Bank B on Axe-III (write over the Naked Amps Bank A you had there earlier), because you have less room to drag the preset from B to A.

So now maybe you have 50-60 presets you like starting in Bank A's slot 21. Now I'd use Axe-Edit's Preset manager and I'd try to group them by amp types (should be easy since the Naked Amps are group to start). Your challenge now is to find you very favorites for live and/or recording use, "Your Tones" and put those into slots 1-20 in Bank A. -- you may decide to mix and match, star a presets with scene 1 clean, then copy a different low gain in from another amp, etc, then a third from rhythm. You can literally do 5 presets with 8 scenes and have 40 ones from clean to scream. Then add the effects you like, and set up your scenes like you like.

Trust me, 20 presets is plenty for a live show (unless you do a preset by song and have 2+ songs). I've seen Dweezil play and he doesn't use more than 20-25 or so presets to cover all that varied Zappa stuff in one night.

Hope that helps? This is not the only way to do it. It's a process to be sure...but the investment of time will yield you presets you love that ainpsire you every time you play them -- and that's really the point, right?

Now you

Wow! Your reply is as detailed as the Naked Amps themselves! Many thanks.

I like the idea of your method. I already have Bank A mostly blank. My own favourite presets occupy presets 1-20 so I could move them up to higher slots leaving 1-20 clear.

I retained the original, but updated recently, banks A, B and C in banks B, C and D. I consider bank C Experimental and not for me just yet so suggested using bank D, as is now, for the NA pack substitution. That would save me me from reloading everything but the idea is the same as you suggest.

So we are on the same page, it’s a good plan and I’ll start down that road. Thanks.

Just one thing puzzles me a bit though:

you may decide to mix and match, star a presets with scene 1 clean, then copy a different low gain in from another amp, etc, then a third from rhythm. You can literally do 5 presets with 8 scenes and have 40 ones from clean to scream. Then add the effects you like, and set up your scenes like you like.

Would you mind expanding on this quote just a little please? I was under the impression that mixing & matching individual scenes between presets was not possible because you would have to copy all of the applicable blocks. Are you perhaps saying just to copy the amp block from another favoured preset retaining the settings for it? If so then presumably once you have 4 amp blocks you then work on the effects and scenes to suit yourself?

Wow! Your reply is as detailed as the Naked Amps themselves! Many thanks.

I like the idea of your method. I already have Bank A mostly blank. My own favourite presets occupy presets 1-20 so I could move them up to higher slots leaving 1-20 clear.

I retained the original, but updated recently, banks A, B and C in banks B, C and D. I consider bank C Experimental and not for me just yet so suggested using bank D, as is now, for the NA pack substitution. That would save me me from reloading everything but the idea is the same as you suggest.

So we are on the same page, it’s a good plan and I’ll start down that road. Thanks.

Just one thing puzzles me a bit though:

Would you mind expanding on this quote just a little please? I was under the impression that mixing & matching individual scenes between presets was not possible because you would have to copy all of the applicable blocks. Are you perhaps saying just to copy the amp block from another favoured preset retaining the settings for it? If so then presumably once you have 4 amp blocks you then work on the effects and scenes to suit yourself?
Yes - remember, you can save your amp blocks and your cab blocks individually and then bring them up in other presets.

Also, you can also use Axe-Edit's copy and paste to CLIPBOARD feature to copy an amp block's channel (A, B C, or D) and then paste it into another presets' Amp block channel of your choosing. Same for cab blocks.

Example: Let's say you are building a preset in 001. You have a clean you like in Naked amps preset slot 130 scene 3 and a lead you like in Naked amps preset slot 150 scene 8.

Using Axe Edit, you can copy the amp channel used in preset 130 scene 3 (lets' say it's using amp channel C) and then paster that into preset 001 amp block's channel A for your clean. Hit SAVE on 001. Then repeat this for the Cab block channel that appears for preset 130 scene 3. Voila-- you have now "copied" the preset scene 3 amp+ cab for your favorite clean into a another preset and scene of your making and choosing.

Next, you go to preset 150 scene 8 and repeat, putting these into your target preset 001 but using scene 2, this time putting the copied amp into amp channel B and Cab channel B. Hit SAVE.

Now you have your favorite clean in scene 1 and lead in scene 2. I did a YouTube Axe-Edit tutorial video series here that shows to do this for the AX8 (that uses X/Y not ABCD)... or better yet, see @ 13:40 mark in Dream Rigs Tutorial :p BELOWbut the concept is the same...once you get the hang of this, you'll be assembling your favorite tones from the Naked Amps into your own custom presets in no time!

See @ 13:40 here on this Axe-Edit amp/Cab copy & paste from clipboard concept...just think A/B/C/D amp or cab channels instead of X/Y amp or cab channels (as this particular video is for older AX8).

Last edited:
Looks like Cliff just released firmware 12 public final (not beta). I've already started working on updating the flangers and phasers and some other things for the 1400+ Naked Amps presets, as reported earlier.

You guys should plan to update your FC-12s and FC-6s to the latest FCfirmware 1.10 as well to use it.

Also fixing typos in the user manual. I aim to have this NaKed Amps Tonepack for firmware 12 update done and released within a week (Feb. 4) if not earlier. You'll hear about it here when done and it will be in your downloads account area when ready.

The amp tones in the 1400+ Naked Amps you have now (firmware 11) will work just fine on firmware 12 (there are no amp block changes in firmware 12) -- but the flangers and perhaps some phasers will not be right in the 30 or so presets that use them...all will be fixed soon.

Hey AustinBuddy, I just bought the Axe FX III last month with the FC-6 foot controller. I just got around to purchasing the amp pack today. any update on when the FC-6 layouts are going to be ready?

Hey AustinBuddy, I just bought the Axe FX III last month with the FC-6 foot controller. I just got around to purchasing the amp pack today. any update on when the FC-6 layouts are going to be ready?

Okay guys -- try this and tell me what you think - feedback appreciated. Draft FC-6 layout and FC-12 full layouts attached.

Make sure your FC-6 or FC-12 is on firmware 1.10. These work on firmware 11 and should work on the new 12 too.

Backup your own layouts first using Axe-Edit, then load via Axe-Edit. If you don't know how to do this, then don't try these.

Attachments

• AB_FC-6_ALL_LAYOUTS.fclayout
    80.5 KB · Views: 14
  • AB_FC-12_ALL-LAYOUTS_v11.fclayout
    80.8 KB · Views: 19
Consistent navigation would make these more useful.

I've adapted my own FC-12 layouts from yours. Since you posted yours, I trust that I'm not overstepping by posting my modifications. Obviously, they might not have universal appeal...

Attachments

• all-layouts_20200128_112826.fclayout
    80.9 KB · Views: 13
Consistent navigation would make these more useful.

I've adapted my own FC-12 layouts from yours. Since you posted yours, I trust that I'm not overstepping by posting my modifications. Obviously, they might not have universal appeal...
Cool, I will check it out! Everybody has to make it work for them.

For me, I'm trying to find the balance of these guiding principles:

- Navigating all Naked Amps presets and the 8 scenes easy and visibly on the floor (much easier on the FC-12, less so FC-6);

- Able to switch to next logical page from page at (Presets to scenes, scenes to effects (dry) to wet effects), then looper) easily;

- Still have an Amp Page to use the Control switches (layout 6);

- Still leave open per preset stuff on last few pages(easy on FC-12, harder on FC-6)

- Tuner always in reach, plus Master Layout...

I am truly wide open to group sourcing this, to make it better or as good as we can, if we can get a consensus for things, but no promises! :)

Last edited:
Yes - remember, you can save your amp blocks and your cab blocks individually and then bring them up in other presets.

Also, you can also use Axe-Edit's copy and paste to CLIPBOARD feature to copy an amp block's channel (A, B C, or D) and then paste it into another presets' Amp block channel of your choosing. Same for cab blocks.

Example: Let's say you are building a preset in 001. You have a clean you like in Naked amps preset slot 130 scene 3 and a lead you like in Naked amps preset slot 150 scene 8.

Using Axe Edit, you can copy the amp channel used in preset 130 scene 3 (lets' say it's using amp channel C) and then paster that into preset 001 amp block's channel A for your clean. Hit SAVE on 001. Then repeat this for the Cab block channel that appears for preset 130 scene 3. Voila-- you have now "copied" the preset scene 3 amp+ cab for your favorite clean into a another preset and scene of your making and choosing.

Next, you go to preset 150 scene 8 and repeat, putting these into your target preset 001 but using scene 2, this time putting the copied amp into amp channel B and Cab channel B. Hit SAVE.

Now you have your favorite clean in scene 1 and lead in scene 2. I did a YouTube Axe-Edit tutorial video series here that shows to do this for the AX8 (that uses X/Y not ABCD)... or better yet, see @ 13:40 mark in Dream Rigs Tutorial :p BELOWbut the concept is the same...once you get the hang of this, you'll be assembling your favorite tones from the Naked Amps into your own custom presets in no time!

See @ 13:40 here on this Axe-Edit amp/Cab copy & paste from clipboard concept...just think A/B/C/D amp or cab channels instead of X/Y amp or cab channels (as this particular video is for older AX8).

Again, many thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. Believe me it is very much appreciated!

Okay guys -- try this and tell me what you think - feedback appreciated. Draft FC-6 layout and FC-12 full layouts attached.

Make sure your FC-6 or FC-12 is on firmware 1.10. These work on firmware 11 and should work on the new 12 too.

Backup your own layouts first using Axe-Edit, then load via Axe-Edit. If you don't know how to do this, then don't try these.
Okay I made a tweak or two to the FC-6 layout for Naked Amps, posting here, I may still play with it over weekend.... feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• AB_FC-6_ALL_LAYOUTS-fw12NEW.fclayout
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
Back
Top Bottom