Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
The weekend's firmware 11 update work is shown below -- says "V11" if updated to firmware 11... updated about 50 presets (or 350+ scenes so far in last 72 hours) ... some decent progress.... but this IS happening/coming!

As I go, am tweaking a few things (but 95% will sound the same as old firmware version) and fixing little things here and there...

...a lot of bass cuts in this updated firmware 11 version, maybe all the new speaker impedance curves may have something to do with that...I'm leaving these mostly on default for now although played with some for 4X12s...

I'm also lowering the Speaker Compression to values <1 or sometimes leaving it off. In firmware 11, it all just feels better under my fingers playing wise when off.

Hopeful can do it all in time for Christmas and will work toward that goal,; at minimum, an firmware 11 update bank A should be done and made available by or before December 24, if can keep up the pace and still give my ears regular and necessary rests between sessions! :cool:

Will keep ya'll posted here....

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 10.29.12 PM.png

The only small tweaks I've made is to turn off the speaker compression and either cut a little bass or change the speaker curve to a different but similar setting.

Still my trusty Atomic NEO CLRs - that's my go-to reference monitors. I think they have very precise and sweet mid-range compared to most FRFRs I've heard, and that's where great guitar tones live. I tried a non-NEO once and didn't like it as much/sent it back.

But I also check things as a test on some JBL PA speakers and JBL studio monitors too. Just bought a Mission Gemini2 stereo FRFR power amp combo, to see if I can use it for gigs, only put in a few hours on it so far... do find I have to fix a global Out 1 EQ curve to use it, pulling out highs and lows, to get it to sound like a natural amp in a room.
Hey @austinbuddy I have a Gemini II. I found using the empower knob to go from full FRFR to more natural cab sound works well in a lot of rooms we play. But I’m going to try that global EQ trick. I sometimes experience some boomy bottom end from certain presets. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Hey @austinbuddy I have a Gemini II. I found using the empower knob to go from full FRFR to more natural cab sound works well in a lot of rooms we play. But I’m going to try that global EQ trick. I sometimes experience some boomy bottom end from certain presets. Thanks for the tip.
I will try to take a picture of the Global EQ setting I use for the Gemini II and post here by the weekend....

Awesome. Thanks
Try this Global Out2 setting when using with the Gemini2... you may have to play with the 125Hz and the 2kHz and 4kHz setting to match your guitars.

I'm using this with a Hendrixy-Doyle Bramhall Rig preset and my '64 RI Strat into a JTM45 amp preset with Greenbacks and V30s as Cab IRs, and it's very close to a real amp sound and feel.

The EmPower switch on the Gemini2 Cab has the dot at 2:00 o'clock (not 3:00 like they recommend) and the volume is up at noon. I do run stereo.

Because of the impedance going into the Gemini I have to use the Out2 knob on the Axe III set at Noon, not 3:00 like I do with my Atomic NEO CLRs... else it distorts the Gemini input and doesn't work right. It's loud -- I use the guitar volume to control dynamics -- and it sounds/feels much like a really good closed-back 2x12.

Gemini2 Out2Global EQ Curve.png

The only small tweaks I've made is to turn off the speaker compression and either cut a little bass or change the speaker curve to a different but similar setting.

As I get into the more modern amps tonight (modern Marshalls) I'm finding I just leave Speaker Comp off and not fooling with it...I figure a user can raise if they like, but it feels more immediate under my fingers off. All the 1000+ Dream Rigs stuff originally had it off too, better for live playing.

I am also using a lot more CUT=ON in amp block for bass - this version 11.1 firmware is thumpin', so dialing down bass tone amp settings by a value of 2 from prior one and even maybe shaving off some EQ below 125Hz in the amp block and raising the Cab Block Lo CUT for the 4x12s up to 150Hz. By the way a pro guitar tech who tours with one of the top selling artists in the country and likes my presets sets for their mixes they always cut guitar at a minimum 150Hz, which makes sense in a multi-instrumental band situation (as opposed to a trio)...

Try this Global Out2 setting when using with the Gemini2... you may have to play with the 125Hz and the 2kHz and 4kHz setting to match your guitars.

I'm using this with a Hendrixy-Doyle Bramhall Rig preset and my '64 RI Strat into a JTM45 amp preset with Greenbacks and V30s as Cab IRs, and it's very close to a real amp sound and feel.

The EmPower switch on the Gemini2 Cab has the dot at 2:00 o'clock (not 3:00 like they recommend) and the volume is up at noon. I do run stereo.

Because of the impedance going into the Gemini I have to use the Out2 knob on the Axe III set at Noon, not 3:00 like I do with my Atomic NEO CLRs... else it distorts the Gemini input and doesn't work right. It's loud -- I use the guitar volume to control dynamics -- and it sounds/feels much like a really good closed-back 2x12.

View attachment 61009
Amazing. I will try it tomorrow

I really appreciate how you share your thought process as you tweak your presets AustinBuddy! This thread is a wealth of solid gold information for those of us who don't have the same access to the resources that you have!

Thank you for always giving so much back to us!!

Progress update on firmware 11 version of 1400+ Naked Amps.

Got past 100 presets (over 700 sounds - that's half way!) updated to firmware 11 in Bank A over last two weeks/through tonight.

I am changing out some cabs for some of the modern amps as I go. It does feel better when you can get it to just one cab IR for the tone, but sometimes I need to combine a few IRS to get there...

Most amps will sound the same but a few will sound different (and I think better). It's also leveled LOUDER...in a good way.

I've had to use the Amp Cut and the cab Lo Cut a good bit to tame the bass. If you want something to be squishier, turn on the SPKR COMP - I'm mostly leaving it off or using just a smidgeon if any.

Don't see why I can't have a firmware 11 Bank A done by next weekend if not sooner. Will post here when it's available in your account download area on my website.

Cheers and thanks for the patience!

Progress update on firmware 11 version of 1400+ Naked Amps.

Got past 100 presets (over 700 sounds - that's half way!) updated to firmware 11 in Bank A over last two weeks/through tonight.

I am changing out some cabs for some of the modern amps as I go. It does feel better when you can get it to just one cab IR for the tone, but sometimes I need to combine a few IRS to get there...

Most amps will sound the same but a few will sound different (and I think better). It's also leveled LOUDER...in a good way.

I've had to use the Amp Cut and the cab Lo Cut a good bit to tame the bass. If you want something to be squishier, turn on the SPKR COMP - I'm mostly leaving it off or using just a smidgeon if any.

Don't see why I can't have a firmware 11 Bank A done by next weekend if not sooner. Will post here when it's available in your account download area on my website.

Cheers and thanks for the patience!
you do not understand how excited I am for this update!!!

Not related to the TonePack but I thought I’d just share it here anyway.

Lately I’ve moved from the Euro Blue (Ecstasy) model to the Shiver models (Shiva). Shiver Lead sounds almost identical to Euro Blue Modern, and the Shiver models are much easier to dial in.

I’ve tried and compared a lot of IRs for these models. I’ve settled on a mix of Buddy’s own 1x12 Shiver IRs: SM57 + 160. Available as factory IRS but I mixed them in Cab-Lab to cut down on CPU usage.

Not related to the TonePack but I thought I’d just share it here anyway.

Lately I’ve moved from the Euro Blue (Ecstasy) model to the Shiver models (Shiva). Shiver Lead sounds almost identical to Euro Blue Modern, and the Shiver models are much easier to dial in.

I’ve tried and compared a lot of IRs for these models. I’ve settled on a mix of Buddy’s own 1x12 Shiver IRs: SM57 + 160. Available as factory IRS but I mixed them in Cab-Lab to cut down on CPU usage.
That was the exact speaker cab (captured) I gigged with on Austin’s famed 6th street back in 2008 every Thursday night. Sounded so killer!

So I've been through all of Bank A, updating for firmware 11.

Now I'm going back through Bank A and "re-organizing" scenes (since we have Axe-Edit scene swapper!) to put the cleans and lower gains in the lower numbered scenes and higher gains in the higher numbers. It won't be like that everywhere, but overall it will more resemble the Dream Rigs layout concept.

I'm also going back through them to check out a few speaker cabs and the new impedance curves, and trying to use just one IR where I can, it sounds better that way.

I'm going to keep existing user amp slots/order, but every preset will have a "v11" at the name end so you'll know new from the v5 versions (in case you liked a v5 version preset better, you'll be able to know which is which).

I'm also going to do my best to keep the preset and scene names visible in an FC 12 and FC6 so in theory you can do it all by looking down at an FC controller and not at a computer screen. So had to shorten some names to fit/condense. Will also finally get to doing an FC6 layout by New Years too along with FC12 layout, I understand the FC12 layout the TonePack comes with now is out of date with firmware version from a user's email to me.

Then have to do a new printout of the presets/ scenes. I'm also thinking of moving all the bonus presets into a third bank, and thus opening up space in bank 2 for more goodies over time like hybrid amps or the new ones Cliff adds.

Stay tuned...

Also, the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack will go on sale just for holidays for $79, starting 12:01am Sunday morning December 22 and lasting through midnight January 1st.

The convenience of everything being organized and leveled is worth the cost alone. If you’re on the fence about this take advantage of the sale. You will not be disappointed. There’s tones for almost everything you’ll ever need. I think the only tweaks I’ve done is to change out drive pedals and add my own effects. I just choose the 3 or 4 scenes I like best for a particular amp and am good to go.

Back
Top Bottom