Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Hey Buddy,

Most aftermarket presets come geared for the FC12....... I have a 6 already.
Is it worth getting a 12 or is it easy to adapt these to two 6's if I chose to go that way?

What are you using as monitors currently?
Still my trusty Atomic NEO CLRs - that's my go-to reference monitors. I think they have very precise and sweet mid-range compared to most FRFRs I've heard, and that's where great guitar tones live. I tried a non-NEO once and didn't like it as much/sent it back.

But I also check things as a test on some JBL PA speakers and JBL studio monitors too. Just bought a Mission Gemini2 stereo FRFR power amp combo, to see if I can use it for gigs, only put in a few hours on it so far... do find I have to fix a global Out 1 EQ curve to use it, pulling out highs and lows, to get it to sound like a natural amp in a room.

Most aftermarket presets come geared for the FC12....... I have a 6 already.
Is it worth getting a 12 or is it easy to adapt these to two 6's if I chose to go that way?

Hey, to me the FC 12 is really the best way to go with an Axe-Fx III... but then again, I like having lots of buttons/options to improvise with when I play (and used to have a Texas-sized pedal board!)

I like being able to see at a glance 8 presets and especially all 8 scenes on one screen, without tap dancing too much. The Fc12 makes that easy.

You can keep the FC6 and use it later with an FM3 for club gigs when that comes out. I have an FC6 for that very reason, just waiting for an FM3 now to pair it with!

I bought the Naked Amps pack and just ponied up for British Royalty. I’m hooked.
So glad to hear this! I had so much fun and learned so much recreating those 36 Led Zep songs/150 sounds in the Axe-Fx III like I was in a studio. It's like a master class in guitar mixing and using room sounds, EQ, preamps, compression, direct -- all of it. I really really really want to do a tutorial video that walks through some of the killer presets in it but have to put the TonePack updates first in line for my time!

You will be glad you did!!! It really is worth the extra few hundred bucks to have the FC12...
I recently sold my 12, and run a pair of 6es now. I can center my controller pedals and still reach the far end of both 6es without the need to take yoga lessons. I can also add 4 more controllers and switches, if I want to. The 12 is great if button stomping is how you work. For me, it's all about the controller pedals and effects and/or control switches...and not falling over! :D
20191129_134217.jpg

EDIT - new switch box:
20191222_162037.jpg

Last edited:
So, today I got to really do some A/B comparison between firmware 6.04 Naked Amps presets and the 6.04 Naked Amps presets running now under 1.11, that use the speaker impedance curve option. I have two Axe-Fx IIIs with one loaded with 6.04 and the other 11.1 with an A/B switch, so I can do apples to apples base don the originally dialed in sound.

I tried about a dozen amp types, from cleans to low gain to rhythm to hi gain etc. What I found is as follows...

There are subtle but noticeable differences between the new firmware and the 6.04 version (but so far, not dramatic for the most part) for most presets.

Oddly, it is not all one-directional in terms of change. For some presets I preferred 6.04 as is over the same preset under 11.1 (without tweaking), but it really was amp dependent. A few others I preferred 11.1 firmware on the 6.40 presets (the Wrecker is definitely feeling even better!).

In probably most cases of the dozen or so amps I auditioned/sampled today (and not representative of all amps -- so this could change as I dig in!), I noticed these trends:
  • In comparing to 6.04 firmware version of same preset, most 11.1 amps under 6.04 presets sounded more compressed (but not all). It sounded more like 6.04 preset/more direct when I turned the Speaker Comp off in the 11.1 version. I may resort to that in some preset cases for updates. I used this a lot for Dream Rigs on Axe-Fx II/AX8 and it makes the sound more direct and a little crisper under your fingers.
  • Many (but not all) firmware 11.1 preset amps sounded like they had a touch more gain... or maybe that was just the compression effect...
  • Found I had to reset Hi-Cut on the Class A amps down about "2" -- so if I had it one "5" in 6.04, i would set it at "3" in 11.1. Cliff had noted in release notes he had re-done the amp Hi-Cut range of values, so that makes sense.
  • Some presets levels tested identical on signal meters in loudness, but a few in 11.1 were a tad less loud (more compressed again?) than 6.04 and yet a few were a tad louder. So some touch-up re-leveling will be needed.
  • Finding a preset bass content varies, but not directionally - some 6.04 have more bass, and some 11.1 have more - no pattern/direction.

The bass thing may be because of the the new speaker impedance curves slotted in for each amp. These can make a noticeable difference in the tone. Just switch one out to hear it.

For example, on a Friedman preset the curve is set to Friedman 4x12. I had used a Greenback and V30 speaker for the original preset, but in 11.1 when I experimented with switching to other 4x12 curves, like to a Greenback 4x12 or Basketweave, it got too bassy. So know if you are going to use these and swap them around, they will have a significant effect on your final overall tonal EQ.

All that is to say that there is no easy update method to this TonePack (meaning, not all in one direction of adjustment). I'll have to go through all 1400 sounds and do the minor adjustments depending on what I hear for each.

Where I can I will keep it "like" the 6.04 preset sound -- but if it sounds better under 11.1 firmware, will adjust the sound/tone to my liking, so it may drift some from what you/we liked in 6.04 preset version. But the tonal and gain DNA will be the same, as the DNA is there under 11.1 that was in 6.04 - no big shifts on that detected.

So... this is gonna take multiple weeks to finish, but I think it can be done before Christmas (my goal) if not sooner (ha -- famous last words!). I will report on progress here weekly.

If ya'll like I can temporarily post an updated A Bank in downloads when that gets ready first, then later do the whole thing in update.

Just wanted you guys to know what's what. So some of the current original Naked Amp presets will sound a little off of what I might like under 11.1, and some will sound fine and perhaps/likely better.

The above tips can help you in the interim if you have a few of your go-to presets you really like and wanted to update ASAP for firmware 11.1, so look for those variables: turn off or lower Speaker Comp, maybe lower Gain a hair, reduce Hi Cut on Amps by value of "2", touch up LEVEL 1 db or so in either direction depending on meter signal. Adjust bass or raise (or lower) Lo Cut in Cab block, etc.

If you like, you can always globally turn OFF the new speaker impedance curve (ON HARDWARE SCREEN, GO TO: SETUP > GLOBAL SETTINGS> UPDATE PRE-11 PRESETS SPKR IMP UPON LOAD and set to NO, not YES (default) and it will revert to original curve dialed in on...but so you know, the forthcoming 11.1 firmware 1400 Naked Amp updated presets will have this set to ON.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend!

Just wanted you guys to know what's what. So some of the current original Naked Amp presets will sound a little off of what I might like under 11.1, and some will sound fine and perhaps/likely better.

This was precisely my findings as well.

Good tips, and about what I went through on the 150 or so presets that I frequent.

This was precisely my findings as well.

Good tips, and about what I went through on the 150 or so presets that I frequent.
Great minds...

There was a brief thread today by Cliff polling people asking them about Speaker Compression and whether they used it or wanted to keep it. I weighed in I like it best set to zero in this firmware 11....

Suspect he got there himself on maybe "low/no" Speaker Comp sounds best in firmware 11...so wouldn't be surprised if in next firmware iteration that disappears....who knows? :cool:

Yeah, with the advancements in CAB development, Speaker Compression seems a bit like an unnecessary option. I almost never do (or it's so low that I'm not sure it actually does anything.)

But there will, of course be those who 'cannot live successfully' without it.

No judgement! Don't frag me!

@austinbuddy - Any chance you could reply in this thread to let us know when the Naked Amps pack is updated for FW 11.0? I've been meaning to purchase for a while but was kinda waiting for an updated version, with all of the recent FW updates that have happened recently. I hear great things about the Naked Amps pack and look forward to checking it out!

@austinbuddy - Any chance you could reply in this thread to let us know when the Naked Amps pack is updated for FW 11.0? I've been meaning to purchase for a while but was kinda waiting for an updated version, with all of the recent FW updates that have happened recently. I hear great things about the Naked Amps pack and look forward to checking it out!
I have started work on it but can’t say when I will be finished - 1400 sounds to audition and minor tweak. The ver5/6 presets work under firmware 11 though in interim.

And this is why the $99 I paid you for the pack was, and is one of the best ongoing values I’ve ever purchased, right up there with FAS gear....

massive undertaking and you could just phone it in at this point, but the fact your willing to put hundreds of hours in (for free) all for my benefit (and everyone else who bought too of course) is just totally above and beyond my friend....

And this is why the $99 I paid you for the pack was, and is one of the best ongoing values I’ve ever purchased, right up there with FAS gear....

massive undertaking and you could just phone it in at this point, but the fact your willing to put hundreds of hours in (for free) all for my benefit (and everyone else who bought too of course) is just totally above and beyond my friend....
It is important to me for it to be right.

Last edited:
It is important to me for it to be right.

You really should put up a donate button on your page. I would certainly buy you a beer or two (toss you $20) knowing all the time you are putting in keeping up with Cliffs frantic FW upgrade pace. My original purchase has been invaluable to me with regards to workflow, time management, knowledge, and value.

That you take the time to touch and update the whole pack (for free) not only says a lot about the quality of the product but speaks volumes about YOU the person. Let me buy you a beer... :)

You really should put up a donate button on your page. I would certainly buy you a beer or two (toss you $20) knowing all the time you are putting in keeping up with Cliffs frantic FW upgrade pace. My original purchase has been invaluable to me with regards to workflow, time management, knowledge, and value.

That you take the time to touch and update the whole pack (for free) not only says a lot about the quality of the product but speaks volumes about YOU the person. Let me buy you a beer... :)

You are a good man Cobbler! I appreciate it. I'd rather be there to drink it with you, maybe together at a future Axe-Fest! Really bummed I missed the last one.

I plan/build in to do at least three firmware versions total for any product and haven't charged a fee yet for upgrades and want to avoid it until i just can't justify it anymore. For Axe-Fx III, there was a version 1.x original, then version 5/6, and now this one I'm working on will be 11 (unless fw 12 comes soon from Cliff - m-waahahaha!). I also want to say to folks that I think firmware 6.04 is still 100% killer with the presets - can't go wrong using that still.

It's just a guess, but suspect my next preset update (after I get ver. 11 done this December) won't be until late summer/fall of 2020 and it will be free too, but we'll see -- Cliff's prolific-ness in producing firmwares drives this and timing more than I do. Just glad I waited through 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 to 11 version now before I started update process....and probably am jinxing it just by typing that! :p

Back
Top Bottom