Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I think that folks need to remember that just because a new firmware comes out it does not suddenly make all of the presets they've purchased worthless. Even if Buddy never did another update they would still be worth the price of admission and probably still sound good. If something sounds off after a firmware change, learn to tweak it. The basic sound should still be there.
+1000 percent.

The Axe FXIII is now at 9.00 beta. I have been watching and waiting for the Austin Buddy products to catch up from Ares 6 to the current firmware before buying, which has since went to Ares 7, to 8 and now 9.

BritRockRoyalty was created on Ares 6.04 with two free updates.
It would take one of the free updates to catch up to where we are now, so with two free updates I’d feel safe buying it now.

The Austin Buddy website says Naked Amps for the Axe FXIII was created on Ares 6.x one free update). It would take one of the free updates just to catch up to where we are now. So that kind of makes me want to wait until Naked Amps are upgraded to Ares 9.00 which is coming up before I buy. I’d be more inclined to get it now if it had two free upgrades like BritRockRoyalty, since it will take one of the free upgrades just to catch up to where we are now at Ares 9.00.

Dream Rigs was created on Quantum 10.01, and he is currently updating to Ares 1.03. Axe AXE FXII, Axe FXIIXL, and Axe FXIIXL+ firmwares are now at Ares 2.0 and most likely won’t have any more firmware updates. I feel safe in purchasing this because I am actually still on Quantum 10.01 on my Axe FXIIXL+ and Austin Buddy has already started updates for Ares 1.03, and there won’t likely be any more firmware updates after Ares 2.0 (though you never know).

The amount of time and effort it takes to create these products and to update them is monumental. I’ve seen nothing but great reviews on his products. He has made some really helpful videos for Fractal users, and many helpful posts to the forum. He’s a great guy with great products. So I am going to go on and buy some of his products now and trust whatever comes concerning free updates.

Thanks for replying @austinbuddy, might I suggest offering free updates for the life of the hardware, with the caveat of no guarantees of keeping up with the Axe FX hardware updates. That way there's no expectation for purchasers, but also no fear of being left out in the cold.

It doesn't make much sense to me if I'm honest. Every other piece of software I buy offers OS updates as part of the purchase, from the looks of things you'd have two more customers if you offered that based solely on people posting today.

I know it takes you time to do the work, and I respect that. I guess it just depends on how many sales you get through the lifespan of the product. If it's 90% the first month, I get it.

Either way, I'm buying if you're guaranteeing you won't charge me again for the tweaks that an update might demand. If you're not sure, neither am I.

No offence intended.

I'm don't think that the firmware updates have been so radical that it nullifies present AB presets. There can be an argument that they don't take advantage of the updates, but IMO most folks won't know (or care) what the differences might be.

A quick look at the release notes of each update will give you the options to see how you can play with them.

That being said, it's not out of bounds to suggest that an update from 6.X created presets to 9.X is probably past due.

R

Just a reminder to all that Firmware 9 is public BETA. When it is full release (downloadable from Fractal Website) and Axe edit is compatible wtig all new features, that will trigger a possible update (unless i get wind that firmware 10 is in the works!!!). The Class A/no negative feedback amps sound like they will need attention in any update.

That being said, it's not out of bounds to suggest that an update from 6.X created presets to 9.X is probably past due.
Perhaps. Let's wait and see when 9 is official and AB has had time to go back over things. The firmware had advanced almost a major version (i.e., a whole number) a month since May. Hopefully it will sit still a bit so we can catch up, and some functional stuff will come in a few subsequent minor versions (i.e , decimal increments).

Perhaps. Let's wait and see when 9 is official and AB has had time to go back over things. The firmware had advanced almost a major version (i.e., a whole number) a month since May. Hopefully it will sit still a bit so we can catch up, and some functional stuff will come in a few subsequent minor versions (i.e , decimal increments).
1000% agree.

Have been a beta tester for over 10 years on this forum watching dozens of firmwares emerge and the process; as we say in Texas, “this ain’t my first rodeo.” Give it a little time after final. I am not going to update a TonePack 9 if 10 is coming out in another month. Waste of my and everyone’s time since everyone would leave 9 for 10 and ask for that update. Let’s see what firmware stabilizes for a good few months before acting/investing our collective time...

For example, everyone thought ARES 1.03 would be last for Axe-Fx II and Cliff has done 2.0. I had started Dream Rigs updates for main 1.03 banks but probably should have wait just a little longer...

Last edited:
Hmm. I was not implying that updates happen immediately. With the scope here, I was thinking more of a month or more from now when the full (non-beta) FW drops.

And you never know with FAS...10.0 could be around the corner with Cliff's bursts of synapse activity.

Hmm. I was not implying that updates happen immediately. With the scope here, I was thinking more of a month or more from now when the full (non-beta) FW drops.

And you never know with FAS...10.0 could be around the corner with Cliff's bursts of synapse activity.
Exactly! He is honing in on final bits of the magic of digitally modeling the power amp section... who knows?

This post is huge, so, I am sorry if this has been answered already. I have downloaded latest presents (based on FW 6?) and after updating to FW 8, I cannot load those presents. Do I do something stupidly wrong? I open Tools->Axe Manage Presets->Browser->Bank->Open. Then I choose bank, it reports that 128 presents have been found; I click OK and nothing happens. I have tried FW9b, and the result is the same.

Does it mean that presets are not compatible with any FW older than FW6? Or it is a user error?
Thanks.

Update: I can load individual presents (one by one), by choosing Preset->Import Preset. But how do I import the whole bank at once?

This post is huge, so, I am sorry if this has been answered already. I have downloaded latest presents (based on FW 6?) and after updating to FW 8, I cannot load those presents. Do I do something stupidly wrong? I open Tools->Axe Manage Presets->Browser->Bank->Open. Then I choose bank, it reports that 128 presents have been found; I click OK and nothing happens. I have tried FW9b, and the result is the same.

Does it mean that presets are not compatible with any FW older than FW6? Or it is a user error?
Thanks.

Update: I can load individual presents (one by one), by choosing Preset->Import Preset. But how do I import the whole bank at once?
FractalBot is how you load and save banks. The presets are compatible acorss firmwares 6, 7, and 8 although the sounds may change some. They were optimized under 6.04.

Ha! Buddy you have put yourself in a tough spot especially at the rate Cliff shoots out new firmware versions. I think you are handling it as good as humanly possible. No matter how much the new firmware changes it doesn't take much, if any, on our end to make it sound great.
I tweak more presets due to changing guitars than I do with new firmware.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Is 1000+ Naked Tonepacks for the Axe FXIII basically the same sounds as are in Dream Rigs, just without the effects.

Does the 1000+ Naked Tonepacks for the Axe FXIII basically sound the same as Dream Rigs when comparing the same amps, or does it sound way better?

Back
Top Bottom