Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Just bought it.

thank you !

is it compatible with the lastest firmware - 5.00 beta 3 ?

Check this thread in prior posts....

The 1000+ Tonepack was designed about a year ago on FW 1.x but has worked on subsequent updates, but will sound slightly different. In firmware version 3.x or higher, the Amp SVT model was changed by Cliff, and so any presets using that amp model won't sound/work right. The good news is, the original SVT model was re-added back in 5.x but if the amp model the preset was originally pointing to might have changed.

When you buy it, you get access to up to three updates. I skipped ver. 2.x to 4.x because they came so quickly, but am starting work o0n a new version for firmware 5.x. I never do updates until 1) a firmware version is FINAL (not beta) and 2) an Axe-III Edit works with it. Then I have to manually go through 1000+ sounds to adjust, so it takes some time to do it right. The next update version should be ready in early summer. It will include some things the current version does not, like FC-12 and FC-6 foot controller integration, and some new presets/tones.

My new job has me on the road for about four weeks of the next 12 weeks, which is part of the delay -- when I away from my studio/Axe-Fx, I can't update anything. But rest assured my evenings and weekends are spent on getting an update done and improving things over the current TonePack where possible.

You should back up everything with FractalBot before you update any firmware -- update the system, all presets, and at least once even all user cabs (if you have any). I save them in folders labeled by firmware numbers. I also save each firmware used in same folder, so I can revert back anytime.

Then you use FractalBot to load the banks into your Axe-III. Enjoy!

EDIT: I type replies on iPhone to be responsive as possible, but often typos occur. I try to clean them up when I get to a PC.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's helpful. Technically speaking, what is involved with an update? Are these just presets, or are they updated blocks or something like that? In other words, if I take 25 of these tones, make modifications, add scenes, etc. Will the update change everything in place, or will I need to recreate all of my mods?

JRkelley -- The answer is "it depends." Some updates are very minor and have little impact on amp sounds. They add further functionality, fix bugs, etc. But the presets sound the same.

Other updates feature improvements Cliff makes to the amp modeling. Firmware 5.x does this. In those cases, it can affect the amp models and presets tones. Sometimes it only affects a group of amps (like in this case, those that have cathode "whatchamacallits", not all amps do). I luckily now have two AxeFX-IIIs, so I can A/B off the current/original TonePack sounds from FW 1.x as I dial in a new firmware 5.x presets.

Preset makers (like myself, Fremen, Moke), do our best to keep up with these changes. In my case, I have thousands of presets have to go through carefully when there is a major firmware update, across multiple platforms. I don't cookie cutter this; I really listen to each one, usually with an amp re-set, and re-dial it in, using A/B, and sometimes audition different cabs to get what I like to hear.

Not really super-efficient -- but again, that's one reason these presets are so valuable -- I'm saving you tons of time by doing that work for you, so you can just plug and play, with maybe minor tweaks you make for "the last mile" to suit your ears and guitars used. I'll do this for 5.x and then for another major firmware update, all for the the original TonePack price. When it's ready, you just download the new TonePack version.

I would urge you to backup everything regularly -- especially before you do any firmware update. I also tend to wait until the update is NOT a Beta release but a final Public release before using it/starting my process -- making sure it's "done" and hopefully around for awhile. Beta versions can change things and usually evolve with user feedback. We seem to get a major "aha" new firmware about once a year on average, where things improve or change significantly enough to require a complete TonePack update, but there is no predictable pattern to it.

Hope all that helps!

EDIT: I type replies on iPhone to be responsive as possible, but often typos occur. I try to clean them up when I get to a PC.

Last edited:
Check this thread in prior posts....

The 1000+ Tonepack was designed about a year ago on FW 1.x but has worked on subsequent updates, but will sound slightly different. In firmware version 3.x or higher, the Amp SVT model was changed by Cliff and so any presets using that amp model won't work right. The good news is, it was re-added back in 5.x but it the amp model the preset is pointing to might have changed.

When you buy it you get access to up to three updates. I skipped ver. 2.x to 4.x because they came so quickly, but am starting work o0n a new version for firmware 5.x. I never do updates until 1) a firmware version is FINAL (not beta) and 2) an Axe-III Edit works with it. Then I have to manually go through 1000+ sounds to adjust, so it takes some time to do it right. The next update version should be ready in early summer. It will include some things the current version does not, like FC-12 and FC-6 foot controller integration, and some new presets/tones.

My new job has me on the road for about four weeks during in the next 12, which is part of her delay -- when I away from my studio/Axe-Fx, I can't update anything. But rest assured my evenings and weekends are spent on getting na update done and improving things over the current TonePack where possible.

You should back up everything with FractalBot before you update any firmware -- update the system, all presets, event user cabs if you have any. I save them in folders labeled by firmware numbers. I also save each firmware used in same folder, so I can revert back anytime.

Then you use FractalBot to load the banks into your Axe-III. Enjoy!

Hi,

Thank you for the your reply. Is there any chance you could inform us which presets should sound as intended and which do not, with FW 5 ?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thank you for the your reply. Is there any chance you could inform us which presents should sound as intended and which do not, with FW 5 ?
Not to speak for him, but buddy has enough work on his plate already, I believe...use your own ears! but I can tell you in general these PRESETS (not presents, though they are a gift to us...) sound excellent to me in all the recent firmware updates, for the most part.

Hi,

Thank you for the your reply. Is there any chance you could inform us which presets should sound as intended and which do not, with FW 5 ?

So far, presets I've played with on the Vintage amp side (my wheelhouse) vary by preset as to whether they sound better to my ear under 5.x or 1.x - but they all sound good, nothing is horribly off.

I am A/Bing presets scenes right now between 1.18 firmware (originally) and the new 5.03 beta...some examples

(All from 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack)

Tweed Deluxe Scene 1 (Medium gain) is my first reach...

then '59 Bassman Scene 2 (killer)....

...My Tweeds sound better with 5.03beta...

60's Brown Super Scene 3 (I like FW 1.x a little better here, but I could dial it in on FW 5 I'm sure)

'64 BF Super Scene 1...FW1.x is a little brighter here, both still sound good

'65 Bassman Scene 1 - FW1.x is subtlety brighter, both still sound good

'68 Bandmaster sounds better under 5.x - clearer

Supro Scene 1 - FW 1.x is subtlety brighter than 5.x

Vox AC15 - Scene 4 Beatley - a little thicker in mids in 5.x

Vox AC30 - Scene 6 Tie your Mutha down - 5.x a little thicker

Hiwatt Scene 2 Pete -- little thicker on 1.x than 5.x

JTM45 Scene 5 Malcom -- Fw 1.x is brighter than 5.x

The Marshalls I'm trying are a little darker in how I set them up in 1.x under 5.x.

These are all subtle things, not in your face changes... I'll try some more later, just a quick canvas...Honestly, I could be very happy playing with FW 1.x version until I do an update.

Overall (but not every preset) 5.x stuff is chewier, more thicker sounding, but less bright than 1.x. Less presence-sounding in 5.x. Am sure if re-set the amp block re-dialed in would be fine and I could restore some of that presence i like in my presets with a few tweaks. Some presets there is hardly no difference, others a little more noticeable, but none I tried turned really for worse that I've tried - they still work.

When I tweak later it will probably be to adjust gain slightly, and a little BMT and P and probably that's it. Worse case Graphic EQ at 4K up a db to add presence. Oh, and add the new Speaker compliance from 0 (old) to 50%... but all the above observation is just a sampling of a dozen or so of the 256 amp models...some may need more work, the deep dive starts next weekend after I get back from a week of travel!

Main thing is, you can generally use the presets from old firmware with the new firmware and it should sound great.

Please check out the Friedman Small Box preset in light of the altered bass control. Thanks.
Good catch.

LOT more bass in firmware 5.x on Small Box... using Scene 1 (medium gain).

Turn bass down from 7 (1x.) to 4 (for 5.x) and it's about the same sound again between firmwares...

Man -- actually I like Fw 5.x Small Box a good deal better than 1.x version, once bass turned down (subtract between 2 to 4 from current Bass value, to taste - the higher current value, the more you subtract) as above...5.x firmware makes this model noticeably better!!!

Other folks have ones you want me to check tonight -- give me amp name and scene #1?

Last edited:
Please check out the Friedman Small Box preset in light of the altered bass control. Thanks.
Here's freebie - Naked Amps Friedman SmallBox preset for Axe-Fx III -- Just re-dialed it in for 5.03 beta, all 8 scenes. Also adjusted the cabs to align. (I have not re-adjusted the new drives yet)

Let me know what you think - I think this sounds much better than the firmware 1.x version, much more like the real deal!

Attachments

• Friedman SmallBox v5.3b.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Austin Buddy-

- Is there a way to get your pack in a simplified manner? Without the complex routing? as in a single row or something like that?

Thanks!

Austin Buddy-

- Is there a way to get your pack in a simplified manner? Without the complex routing? as in a single row or something like that?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, no. You can always delete outputs you don’t use for your favored presets.

It is basically a long serial signal chain so you have space to add your own effects - it’s not that complex really. Also, You cannot put amp blocks in line/series. If you do, you get a pop switching. Has to be parallel.

Hey @austinbuddy , I couldn't stop playing Scene 5 of your Fryette 60 Deliverance preset. I guess that's why you named it "Crack".

It didn't remind of a specific song. It just gives me a great tone with my old LP.

Now I'm wondering what songs forum members play with that scene.

Thanks

Hey @austinbuddy , I couldn't stop playing Scene 5 of your Fryette 60 Deliverance preset. I guess that's why you named it "Crack".

It didn't remind of a specific song. It just gives me a great tone with my old LP.

Now I'm wondering what songs forum members play with that scene.

Thanks
I do remember that preset. So ya'll know, I don't go in pre-meditated with "I will make a preset that goes CRACK" when you play it," I just start playing with the amp and cab and seeing what tones I can get (usually driven by gain level in mind) then try to describe them/name them - it's as much art and science, a little of both. Glad you enjoy it!

@austinbuddy Question: I'm waiting for the update to 5.x but I have some gigs coming up this month and would really like to use the new Ax III and FC12. From what I have read above, I'm pretty comfortable buying the tone pack and using it with FW 5.3 and just tweaking as needed and then updating later. I use about 7 different amps in our current repertoire (Deluxe Verb, various Marshalls, AC-20, Solo 100, Friedmans, Recto). Are there any amp models that are not gig ready prior to your update? If not, then I will pull the trigger now. Thanks.

Joe

Last edited:
@austinbuddy Question: I'm waiting for the update to 5.x but I have some gigs coming up this month and would really like to use the new Ax III and FC12. From what I have read above, I'm pretty comfortable buying the tone pack and using it with FW 5.3 and just tweaking as needed and then updating later. I use about 7 different amps in our current repertoire (Deluxe Verb, various Marshalls, AC-20, Solo 100, Friedmans, Recto). Are there any amp models that are not gig ready prior to your update? If not, then I will pull the trigger now. Thanks.

Joe
I am only into the Vintage bank of Tweeds so far on ver.5

List the exact amps you use (you did some) and I will listen and let you know if anything is seriously off on TonePack with any of them?

Back
Top Bottom