Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I checked out the free ones from Axe Change and they sounded pretty good AND I really liked what I saw for routing options.

I figured that alone would be worth the purchasing of them, so I just ordered the full version, and it looks like I will be staying up late tonight, but fortunately, I have tomorrow off from work :)

Last edited:
You'd be hard-pressed to find many Axe-Fx owners who agree with that (or any that call it an XFX :)).

An Axe-Fx III through FRFR monitoring can sound just like a miked-up real amp. An Axe-Fx III through a power amp and a real guitar cab can sound just like an amp in the room.

I specifically said “in my experience “.
Im monitoring on $10,000 ATC Monitors, best frfr made probably and tweaking endlessly yet cant get anywhere near the mids and clarity of my real amps. I CAN make crazy chains and a great variety of things that would be very difficult in the real/analog domain though. I think its an amazing device nonetheless.

This is MY experience. I like the xfx very much and enjoying it tremendously but this is my experience.

P.S I regret posting it. I shouldn’t have, but it would be even less cool to delete.
So I emphasize thst this might be only my experience and otherwise its s genius tool.

Last edited:
May i contact you in private with a few questions? i really don't want myself to sound like im dissing the Axe Fx so maybe not in public? I just can get it to sound even remotely like my amps...;(
Sure.

Though I’d recommend starting a thread to work through what you’ve tried and what you’re trying to achieve. Then you get the benefit of the forum membership helping you.

I specifically said “in my experience “.
Im monitoring on $10,000 ATC Monitors, best frfr made probably and tweaking endlessly yet cant get anywhere near the mids and clarity of my real amps. I CAN make crazy chains and a great variety of things that would be very difficult in the real/analog domain though. I think its an amazing device nonetheless.

This is MY experience. I like the xfx very much and enjoying it tremendously but this is my experience.

P.S I regret posting it. I shouldn’t have, but it would be even less cool to delete.
So I emphasize thst this might be only my experience and otherwise its s genius tool.

Something has to be amiss, Not my experience at all. The bare tones ( Amp and Cab, no effects) are easy to dial in and awesome! I'm happier with my tones than I ever been. For me My studio monitors ( ADAM AX7X) are a different experience than Live through a FOH and FRFR monitors. Give it some volume like you would the amp. You shouldn't regret posting, how else would you get help tor resolve issues?

May i contact you in private with a few questions? i really don't want myself to sound like im dissing the Axe Fx so maybe not in public? I just can get it to sound even remotely like my amps...;(

I had watched a video series from Cooper Carter and he walks us through ways to try different scenarios.

For the AXE FX II going through a tube amp he recommended:

1) deleting the cab or clicking it off or turning it off globally

2) going to the amp and clicking on Pwr Supply then turning the Supply Sag all the way off (turns the power amp off but sometimes I like it left on at different levels (varies amp to amp))

3) go next to Speaker Drive and turn off the Speaker Compression and Speaker Compliance (set them at zero)

4) I found I then needed to turn up the amp (back to Basic) with the Master Volume and/or Level

5) turning up the Levels of Out 1-4 (whichever you use for your output) to a volume similar to an amp helped make it sound a LOT better

I am not there yet myself but I keep reading through everyone's posts/replies, watching YouTube videos and purchased videos, AND purchased the Naked Amps 1000+ pack to see if I can get closer to what I need for practice or a live performance with a "tube" amp.

Hopefully, you will figure this out in the near future and get to "your" sweet spot and tube-like feel and tone :)

This is a very overdue post. I have had in my possession the complete pack for several weeks and it was only this week that I got time to delve into the presets provided by @austinbuddy.
I've never been able to use someone's preset "out of the box". I don't mean by that that I like to add a wah wah or a volume pedal. I mean that the basic sound of the amp and cab never fit what I wanted to hear.

Until now.

Austin's presets are immediately usable. In fact, I added a volume block controlled by my pedal and I was up and running and did a show with a few of Austin's presets without changing a single thing. Actually that's not quite true. I turned on a reverb that was off by default in a couple of presets. Bang.

These amps are dialed in perfectly, married to cabs that showcase the amp and sound awesome.

Thanks Austin! Great job!

This is a very overdue post. I have had in my possession the complete pack for several weeks and it was only this week that I got time to delve into the presets provided by @austinbuddy.
I've never been able to use someone's preset "out of the box". I don't mean by that that I like to add a wah wah or a volume pedal. I mean that the basic sound of the amp and cab never fit what I wanted to hear.

Until now.

Austin's presets are immediately usable. In fact, I added a volume block controlled by my pedal and I was up and running and did a show with a few of Austin's presets without changing a single thing. Actually that's not quite true. I turned on a reverb that was off by default in a couple of presets. Bang.

These amps are dialed in perfectly, married to cabs that showcase the amp and sound awesome.

Thanks Austin! Great job!

Thank you Patzag! Know you have been a long time Fractal user and know your stuff — so very kind of you to say!

Buddy, are you going to do a Dream Rigs pack for the III?

Eventually yes.... but have lots to do before I can. Finish a Ax8 and AxeIII Bass TonePack, eventual summer 3.x upgrade/augmentation and FC integration, but I do want to do a Dreams Rigs Axe-Fx III version with FC 12/6.

I may make some changes to the preset template for 1000+ Naked Amps for the summer update. Will run those by you guys here for feedback when I pull it all together.

Excited about my new FCs and integration!

Most of you buying are having no issue using the "save20" coupon code if you bought a 700+ Tonepack before.

A handful of you are having the coupon code rejected. If you used a different email for PayPal checkout than the email used creating your account on the website, try and use the PayPal email address when prompted. It looks that email to validate for the $20 discount.

If that also fails, just let me know at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com, and we can verify past order info and then manually add your email to the coupon list. We've done about six like that so far. Thanks.
Can I still use the save 20 coupon if I buy today?

Axe-Fx III TonePack Update.

So, one of the (very many!!!) very cool things about the FC controller is it allows up to six "CS" control switch controllers.

So, for the next update of 1000+ Axe-Fx III Naked Amps, we could have an added FC layout page, just dedicated to switching various amp functions.

Six CS switches are allowed to control Amp Boost on/off, FAT switch, maybe Cut, Bright, Amp GEQ, and Saturation (Ideal over authentic - because that one does not diminish the volume when selected).

Also have switches on this layout page to add +1 or -1 to Amp Level, for Level setting.

In theory one could also assign CS to turn on tremolo depth in amp block and compression in amp block, but we only get six CS switches use .... These on/off's can also simply be part of scenes as well, but I'm thinking of using a FC page to do this so you can access and experiment with those amp switches/settings from the foot controller rather than Axe-III-edit.

Another option would be to use the external switches 1-4 for some dedicated functions (like Amp Boost and FAT) -- but not everyone would probably use those, as you need more external hardware for that.

I'll probably use the factory layouts for Presents and Scenes "as is" to keep it universal -- and may shorten preset and scene names to fit better into floor window character limits.

I'm primarily gonna do this on FC12 but it should port to FC 6 okay, just be two pages instead of one per layout (I own both FCs).

I'll have to look at factory Effects layout page(s) and may replace that with some changes based on effects in naked amps template. I'd also like to have a way for you to dive deep into a drive block or phaser etc. and select one of four channels, or at least A/B a channel.

Right now I'm leaving Exp 1 at Wah. I usually set this to toe down = off and medium speed.

Exp 2 is usually a "rate" control for me -- how fast something goes, like a univibe, tremolo, rotary, etc. Or a pitch whammy.

Exp 3 would be reserved for Volume pedal (no block used) and assigned to input or output of Amp GLOBALLY. If nothing is plugged into Exp3 then no volume effect on preset - it would ignore it.

I'm also considering adding a wet (post cab) EFX Loop in the naked amps template, probably using Output 4, but not decided on this yet. Also compression (stood or optical style) after Cab block as well as at beginning of chain, CPU permitting.

Output 1 - main, SPDIF can mirror this too. FOH send.

Output 2 - still is a tap off the amp block (no cab or wet effects) to send out to a power amp and cab.

Output 3 - can be set so mirrors output 1. Can be used for In Ears.

Output 4 - external EFX Loop

Nothing is decided; just playing with configurations....thoughts and ideas, drawbacks? Know I can't please everyone's specific system in design, but trying to be flexible as possible...

Hello , where this AB pack is supposed to be played for maximum results ? Real cab , studio monitors , frfr ?

It's designed on FRFRs. So stage PAs, stage monitors, and studio monitors/recording. You will lose something if playing only through power amp and a fixed guitar cab like a 4X12, you won't get a tweed champ sound that way for example. But some do use it that way.

I find this amusing. Google the Fletcher-Munson effect. Go play all of these live and loud - Factory and Naked Amps -- and see what you think then.
I do too. Fletcher-Munson oriented circuits, no matter how advanced and adjustable, are just gimmicks according to some here. They seem to think that simplified “Loudness buttons” render the whole concept invalid. I disagree but until you’ve been exposed to a professional treatment of this as an adustable curve based on the experience a human has rather than an on/off button you are playing to the lowest common denominator IMO. Sigh.

If you tune a preset at live levels, it not too difficult to adjust the same preset at bedroom levels if you have the right tool. A continuously variable SPL based loudness curve can be indispensable at normalizing the experience. But I’m a rebel audiophile so who knows?

Last edited:
I do too. Fletcher-Munson oriented circuits, no matter how advanced and adjustable, are just gimmicks according to some here. They seem to think that simplified “Loudness buttons” render the whole concept invalid. I disagree but until you’ve been exposed to a professional treatment of this as an adustable curve based on the experience a human has rather than an on/off button you are playing to the lowest common denominator IMO. Sigh.

If you tune a preset at live levels, it not too difficult to adjust the same preset at bedroom levels if you have the right tool. A continuously variable SPL based loudness curve can be indispensable at normalizing the experience. But I’m a rebel audiophile so who knows?
Dude, seriously?

This horse was beat to death (and then some) a week ago. Do we really need to dredge this up again? I think everyone here is aware of your opinion.

Back
Top Bottom