Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy LedZ "BRIT ROCK ROYALTY #1" TonePack for Cygnus X2 available!

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi Gang: This will be a thread where I can answer questions about my latest "Brit Rock Royalty" TonePack series. It's also now available in streamlined form for the FM9 and the FM3 as well -- you get all three unit versions when you buy.

NEW UPDATE, MAY 2023: ALL AXE-FX III BRIT ROCK ROYALTY #1 PRESETS HAVE BEEN UPDATED TO CYGNUS "X2" PUBLIC FIRMWARE 21.04 (or higher) AND ARE NOW AVAILABLE IN EXISTING CUSTOMERS ACCOUNTS, IN "MY DOWNLOAD" AREA AT WWW.AUSTINBUDDY.COM.

All presets are in true stereo. Read the release notes carefully and print out and read the updated track-by-track, scene-by-scene, tone-by-tone presets/player guide. These sound the best of any prior versions! Enjoy!

Brit-Rock-Tonepack-1-3d.jpg

After many months of work partnering with two great Austin-based musicians, am pleased to present a new series of TonePacks to come! These TonePacks are a little different than the Naked Amps and Dream Rigs products; they are designed to emulate and evoke the coolest and most iconic guitar tones of all time, by album and song part, starting with the past and working our way to present day.

The first in this new TonePack series is the Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #1, covering 36 songs and over 150 guitar scenes/sounds from this British foursome that changed the face of rock music forever with their first four albums in 1969-1971. Additional BRR TonePacks covering guitar tones from later albums by this legendary British foursome group are in the works!

Using your Axe-Fx III (or your FM9 or FM3!), the updated Brit Rock Royalty #1 (BRR) TonePack let you instantly reproduce the timeless, iconic electric guitar tones that re-defined rock music forever.

The Axe-Fx III product contains a digital download preset bank consisting of stereo preset versions with correct panning, and volume-leveled (per album mix) by track "scene" to play along with your favorite I, II, III or IV albums.

Here are some video examples from I & II, using the stereo (correct pan) presets:

(Note: these videos were made on older, non-Cygnus firmware versions of the Tonepack).

And some from III & IV:

There are bonus early group live rigs, acoustic guitar emulators, and bass presets too, and two provided special User Cabs.

In addition to the READE ME User Guide, we include a detailed track by track preset scene guide that tells you exactly what guitar, pickup, volume and tone knob settings to use to produce the "Tone of the Gods!" Example:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-30-at-11.34.47-AM-1024x469.png

You'll get best results using a Les Paul style and a Telecaster style guitar, with vintage-style output pickups. It helps to have a Fractal FC12 or FC6 controller to navigate presets/scenes quickly when playing along, and an expression pedal to take full advantage of wahs, pans, volume swells, and other effects (like the Theremin emulation!).

Expect all the meticulous attention to exact tonal detail here that you've found in AustinBuddy's other TonePack products! These presets have now been updated to version 14.x+ or higher, and the price includes additional firmware upgrade versions if needed in future.

NEW: Here's a good example of Cooper Carter playing some the presets (from I and II):

Last edited:
Could you check the names of the 2 cabs please against the instructions ? The cabs have different names in the unzipped folder to what is in the instructions.

Thank you !

Could you check the names of the 2 cabs please against the instructions ? The cabs have different names in the unzipped folder to what is in the instructions.

Thank you !
(fixed)

They should have the user1 cab slot in the name of them. One is a null cab used as a preamp, in u1.0065 and the second one is a room IR cab in u1.0066

Last edited:
Looking forward to checking these out. You are on a roll Buddy! And by "roll" I mean months of meticulous and painstaking effort.

Bravo!

SO excited for this. I just happened to visit austinbuddy.com 10 minutes ago, and couldn't believe my good timing.

And I couldn't figure out which British Band it referred to, even for a full minute AFTER reading "Hammer of the Tones." lol In my defense, I had Ownhammer in my head. But once I figured it out, I think I let out a squeal like a little girl. Thanks AustinBuddy, this made my weekend!!

They should have the user1 cab slot in the name of them. One is a null cab used as a preamp, in u1.0055 and the second one is a room IR cab in u1.0056
This is what unzipped file shows; "U1.0055_bakerman null cab" and U1.0055_U1.0055 BRR null Preamp - AB"
And in the instructions on pg 5; "U1.0055 U1.0055 BRRR null Preamp - AB" and "U1.0056 U1.0056 BRR RoomSound - AB"

Thanks,
Rich

For those of us considering purchase, it would be useful to know the band you modeled. It could just as easily be the Beatles or Queen as described, and perhaps others. Games aren't as fun when there's money involved, especially to prospective customers.

For those of us considering purchase, it would be useful to know the band you modeled. It could just as easily be the Beatles or Queen as described, and perhaps others. Games aren't as fun when there's money involved, especially to prospective customers.

Zeppelin! :)

This is what unzipped file shows; "U1.0055_bakerman null cab" and U1.0055_U1.0055 BRR null Preamp - AB"
And in the instructions on pg 5; "U1.0055 U1.0055 BRRR null Preamp - AB" and "U1.0056 U1.0056 BRR RoomSound - AB"

Thanks,
Rich

Yes - My fault, I screwed up when I exported cabs with User slot names, but it is now fixed for future downloads. Have emailed the folks that bought it with the right cab as well.

U1 0055 is a null cab with a preamp. Think guitars going directly into a compressor like a UA 1176. This band did this more than you might think.

U1 0056 is a "room sound" IR. Essential for certain sounds.

Thanks for catching this early. I made the change after a smart beta team tester recommended to put the cab slot number into the Cab IR name, and in replacing the old one I screwed up and deleted the right one.

All fixed now.

Last edited:

@plyall that is fair and I know some would react this way. It's intentional though...you might want to look up trademark law.

You or I can't legally use the name of a band like this in a product we sell. The band name is well-trademarked, and thus can't be used in a commercial project without permission. Just like a band would not look kindly on you or I selling t-shirts with a band's name on it without their permission.

So, in order to be able to do this product, had to do things a certain way to make sure trademarks and copyrights were not infringed, including consulting with savvy Los Angeles entertainment lawyers. I'm using an Axe-Fx III to emulate and evoke the tones contained on these albums, and that is allowed as long as I steer clear of trying to use the band's name or song names in the process. You can legally protect recordings and samples from albums and songs, but these presets are neither of these technically. They are just software instructions to a piece of hardware that, when used with appropriate gear (Les Paul, Tele) models and emulates equipment that can produce those same tones.

So on any of the products coming in this "Brit Rock Royalty" TonePack series, you will not see an actual band name, or the actual song names.... but the tell-tale clues are there, I just can't cross a line and violate a trademark. (Hey, I gave you guys a real public domain Hindenburg Tonepack cover photo -- and it is not the photo used on their 1st album! -- and we used roman numerals to refer to their four albums!)

I have nothing but the greatest reverence for this band (even more so after doing this deep dive). Demos are also going to be tricky to avoid similar legal stuff, but we'll see. Someone not affiliated with AustinBuddy can probably do them for educational purposes without risk. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
PS - I knew the question of "who" would get answered here once I launched it.. .and it is also true that bands you mention may be in future Brit Rock Royalty TonePacks, and if so, each front TonePack cover will have good clues as to whats' in it too...but forums like here will flush it out.

Last edited:
This definitely looks promising. Is there a Demo/Video?
Also, would anyone consider using these tones for modern/original productions?

There will be videos.

Think I can share that @ccroyalsenders and @Burgs and some others (thank you @Rex and @bradlake) have tried out the TonePack for a beta-test, and their feedback back to me was great.

On your last question: the professional Austin musicians I worked with on this are both full-time musicians and tone geeks like me... one has been Ben Harper's guitarist for many years and played some with Dixie Chicks and Natalie Maines.... the other is the current producer and live guitar player for Eddie Brickell and New Bohemians and has worked on studio projects for years including Justin Timberlake, Ryan Bingham and Charlie Sexton...so unlike myself, these buddies of mine make their entire living doing music.

These guys are always in the studio doing things, and there were multiple times as we collaborated and honed in and nailed a tone, when final, they would say "wow-- that's an awesome sound ---I could use that sound on another project I'm working on." So they seem to think so!

If you've never really carefully listened to the band's catalogue with a mixing engineer's mentality, some of the sounds will surprise you after you pull them out of the mix. I put some notes in about that in User Guide. It's like a Tone Bender fuzz can sound spitty and gnarly by itself isolated, and in a track glues the whole thing together gloriously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom