Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I did this horid vid a while back to set that gain structure for the Axe II and CLR.
For the Axe III i have my output 1 set to 2 Oclock. Input 1 on the CLR adjusted until i see red light on CLR input 1 led (right next to output 1 knob) set and go. Master turned up to whatever level the neighbors can stand. (Master level on CLR does not effecf tone just your sinuses)

Thanks alot appreciate your help!

Hi i just purchased. I’m using firmware 11. Would you install just the updated ones for now or is it worth it to use the older banks? I was thinking i should wait until those are completed.

Hi i just purchased. I’m using firmware 11. Would you install just the updated ones for now or is it worth it to use the older banks? I was thinking i should wait until those are completed.
There is a updated Bank A available in your downloads account area that is compatible with firmware 11.1. The rest (Bank B) will be ready by end of year, I started it this morning and boy that Matchless DC30 sounds killer!

So yes - install update Bank A now, and soon you’ll have access to update Bank B too!

I did this horid vid a while back to set that gain structure for the Axe II and CLR.
For the Axe III i have my output 1 set to 2 Oclock. Input 1 on the CLR adjusted until i see red light on CLR input 1 led (right next to output 1 knob) set and go. Master turned up to whatever level the neighbors can stand. (Master level on CLR does not effecf tone just your sinuses)

Thats the video! Thanks @GuitarDojo.

Usually I set CLR input between noon and 2:00 on CLR Input, then set Master to taste. In my studio as monitors I use input on CLR @ noon, but for a gig I’d nudge that up to 1 or 2 o’clock (if no clipping light on CLR) then set the master at noon-ish and it is plenty loud!

Other FRFRs will vary, but the concepts are the same: use the Output knob in Axe-Fx into FRFR to get strong signal without clipping, adjust input on FRFR (if it has one) to optimize that, then last use the FRFR’s power amp master volume/out to set overall loudness.

Last edited:
Excited to try the update! To be honest I wasn’t as blown away by the axe 3 patches as the AX8 ones but maybe I’ve just gotten really picky!

Just bought this and installed the new Bank A. Plenty here to keep me busy while waiting for the other banks. Current favorite is the Fas Crunch scene. Great work!

When you find an amp you really love and want to gig with, I really want to encourage you guys to try out different Factory Cab IR speakers, especially using the SOLO feature for an IR (or you can mute 3, leave one active, same as solo but you can have more than one soloing at same time so be careful of that)). I've made some Cab IR changes here and there in this update and will continue to do so. I've also really cut back bass (using Lo CUT in Cab Block).

It really is true half the sound is the Cab IR. Finding the right one really helps most when using for live gigs if you can find that one IR that just melds with the amp.

For example, I like balance and fat (mids) over thin or bassy, so I'd prefer an perfectly placed vintage M160 IR usually over a R121 combined with a SM57 which is what most people use... so playing live, coming out of an FRFR speaker, that M160 style (if not too harsh) it both feels and sounds more like am hearing an actual guitar cab to me. It's one reason I used the heck out of the Shiver M160 IR paired with various amps in the Dream Rigs pack for User Cabs.

Looking at the speaker impedance curve can give you good guidance, but use your ears for sure, not just your eyes.

Maybe I can start a thread where I can post these kinds of personal musings and little Axe-tweaking tone tips, all in one place, on an on-gong basis...

PS Made it through firmware 11 updating for Bank B's Class-A/Negative feedback amps section today (DC30 to Dr. Z Maz 38)... rolling along here! Firmware is sounding great!

Maybe I can start a thread where I can post these kinds of personal musings and little Axe-tweaking tone tips, all in one place, on an on-gong basis...
That kind of stuff is golden. Not just for the ideas, but also because it gets people thinking along lines that help them make the gear their own.

PS Made it through firmware 11 updating for Bank B's Class-A/Negative feedback amps section today (DC30 to Dr. Z Maz 38)... rolling along here! Firmware is sounding great!
Stoked! More killer goodies coming down the pike!

Curiosity got the best of me last night and I purchased this pack. I installed bank 'A' and the next 4 hours just vanished. So many great tones here! Fantastic product Austin Buddy! :cool:

I'm very much looking forward to the bank 'B' update. :)

Curiosity got the best of me last night and I purchased this pack. I installed bank 'A' and the next 4 hours just vanished. So many great tones here! Fantastic product Austin Buddy! :cool:

I'm very much looking forward to the bank 'B' update. :)
Yes, I'm in the same boat! :) It seems that @austinbuddy has created some sort of strange time machine that transports you into the future in 4 hour increments. Absolutely a great investment and looking forward to Bank B. For anyone on the fence about purchasing the 1400+ Naked Amps tonepack, just do it! This is quality stuff... You won't be sorry!

Thank you Rex :)
Actually, I updated the layout in version 5 based on user feedback, and keep it in version 11, Rex's is from original manual and I need to update that.

Axe-Fx III Manual says Output 3 is designed for sending to Power amp and real cab (set the output knob to max). I put a GEQ4 block in front of it so you can tweak it at that GEQ4 to cut/boost lows/highs/mids to tailer to your system.

Here is what a Naked Amps preset layout looks like for version 5 to 11+:

(Note some presets may have more effects in them than shown here... things like phasers, tremolos, chorus/flanger and detune etc are preset specific).

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 12.56.03 PM.png

So the idea is:
Out1 - main out, to FOH and/or stage monitors
Out2 - secondary main out, in case you need to split monitors out from FOH out. You can mirror Out1 to Out2, or use Global GEQ to adjust Outp2 if to on-stage gear. You could also use this for In-ears
Out3 - for power amp/cab. This does tap directly off the amp before the cab and any wet effects, so it is not going to sound like I designed it exactly (cabs are half the sound) but it IS a built-in option and you can use the GEQ4 block on a per-preset basis to adjust for your own power amp/cab setup
Out4 - extra signal out, could use for In-ears.

It seems to give people the most flexibility.

Last edited:
Actually, I updated the layout in version 5 based on user feedback, and keep it in version 11, Rex's is from original manual and I need to update that.

Axe-Fx III Manual says Output 3 is designed for sending to Power amp and real cab (set the output knob to max). I put a GEQ4 block in front of it so you can tweak it at that GEQ4 to cut/boost lows/highs/mids to tailer to your system.

(Note some presets may have more effects in them than shown here... things like phasers, tremolos, chorus/flanger and detune etc are preset specific).

View attachment 61554

So the idea is:
Out2 - secondary main out, in case you need to split monitors out from FOH out. You can mirror Out1 to Out2, or use Global GEQ to adjust Outp2 if to on-stage gear. You could also use this for In-ears
Out3 - for power amp/cab. This does tap directly off the amp before the cab and any wet effects, so it is not going to sound like I designed it exactly (cabs are half the sound) but it IS a built-in option and you can use the GEQ on a per-preset basis to adjust for your own power amp/cab setup

Thank you for the update and breakdown of the way it is currently set up.

Happy holidays!!!

View attachment 61554

So the idea is:
Out3 - for power amp/cab. This does tap directly off the amp before the cab and any wet effects, so it is not going to sound like I designed it exactly (cabs are half the sound) but it IS a built-in option and you can use the GEQ4 block on a per-preset basis to adjust for your own power amp/cab setup

This.

Why this is an excellent option for those who want extremely flexible plug and play for stage/home/whatever. When you purchase it's VERY specific on how to set it up....but it's a RTFM situation.

I'm holding off for the latest FW, and I'll update presets, but the existing do not suffer at all with all the FW developments.

R

View attachment 61554

So the idea is:

That looks like the perfect setup for ultimate flexibility.

I've already dialed in my go-to tone for the music I'm working on right now, a beautiful stereo blend of the IIC+ and HBE. But I'm debating purchasing your tonepack so I can try out all the different amps without wasting time (time that I don't have) fiddling with settings. The Axe-FX III is so versatile, perhaps too versatile - and it takes a lot of time to figure out how to dial in each individual amp and find a good IR to use with it.

Quick question - how does this tonepack differ from the built-in presets in the Axe FX III? Are the built-in presets not as complete for all the various amps?

Also just to confirm - the sale is on until Dec 31?

Thanks!

[OT] @austinbuddy, is there anything you can say about how you keep perspective going through all those presets? I sometimes really dig a tone after I've been working on it for a while, but when I come back to it the next day it's super bright, or bassy. I can't imagine staying centered over 1400+ presets, don't know how you do it.

Do you listen to reference tracks in between? Any "tricks of the trade" on that level?

That looks like the perfect setup for ultimate flexibility.

I've already dialed in my go-to tone for the music I'm working on right now, a beautiful stereo blend of the IIC+ and HBE. But I'm debating purchasing your tonepack so I can try out all the different amps without wasting time (time that I don't have) fiddling with settings. The Axe-FX III is so versatile, perhaps too versatile - and it takes a lot of time to figure out how to dial in each individual amp and find a good IR to use with it.

Quick question - how does this tonepack differ from the built-in presets in the Axe FX III? Are the built-in presets not as complete for all the various amps?

Also just to confirm - the sale is on until Dec 31?

Thanks!
Sale is until midnight December 31st Austin TX time (Central US).

Yes, the point of this pack is to have good amp/cab p[airings for every amp model available in the Ax-Fx. I use every single amp channel/model (more than 260+ - see Cooper Carter video for examples, he used this TonePack to make 263 clips from the 1000 tones available at the time) at least once, and usually up to 8 examples (8 scenes in a preset).

Originally started this in late 2016 for myself -- like you I wanted to hear everything available, and I had been talking to Fractal Audio's Matt Picone about how helpful this would be beyond the provided Factory presets (which as you suspected do not cover every single amp model). Plus I wanted to save time dialing in myself/have a good base tone ready to go the sounds like the real amp's iconic DNA - Fender that sounds like a Fender, a Vox like a Vox, a Marshall like a Marshall, a Dumble like a Dumble, Mesa-Boogie Rectifier like a Dual Rectifier, a Bogner like a Bogner, etc... all are amps I've played before and have heard on record, so I know what to go for.

A lot of the art is to pair a pleasing cab with the right amp (and many cabs can go with an amp to give it different flavors). Cabs are half the sound. When you have 2000+ cabs to choose from, it can be daunting to do this for 260 amps models. @yek has an amp and cab guide on the public Fractal Wiki that was tremendously helpful in that regard.

Another huge part of the art is getting a balanced tone, and to level it properly. Can't stress the preset leveling part enough - I have had amps that sounded wimpy then I added 2 db of level (which does not change the tone) and they came alive out of my speakers. Knowing how to gain stage and level presets for your playback system is a key part to creating greats tones/sounds. I've been a beta team tester for 10 years so known my way around the unit pretty well now...

So in a way, what you really pay for is someone who spent hundreds and hundreds of hours doing a lot of the work for you to tee up a nice base preset (200+ presets with up to 8 scenes = 1400 different tones) that you can then tweak to your own playing style, guitars, and playback system for that last mile. Make sense?

Last edited:
The Fender amps are to die for in this pack.
Thank you! I am a vintage amp guy myself and so getting those right -- to show that digital modeling really CAN fool someone and replicate great vintage tones -- was a big part of the challenge and fun. I spend a lot of time playing these old amps at Austin Vintage Guitars over the years so I know what to listen for...

Back
Top Bottom