Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy's 1400+ NAKED AMPS TonePack for firmware Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
For the few presets I checked, most of the cab IRs looked already aligned -- but will check them all with that new feature. I also love the new Cab Block shelving choice -- I will likely make the default always be the 12db/6db option (so harder slope on the bass cut-off shelving point). That will clean up some bottom end/tighter.

I'm getting a second Axe III (used!) so I can A/B the 2.05 firmware to the 3.x and will have that ability in the future. (Also can have one set for FC6 and another for FC12). Needed to do that, to really compare firmwares side by side to know (if anything) what to adjust, that's the most efficient way to do it - put on the Ditto looper and A/B box into each and tweak one to see if can get close to original.

That said, I do expect some sounds/tones will change in next update, not dramatically, but some. It's to be expected with major firmware changes (going from 2x to 3.x) - but the few presets I played under 3.x still sound pretty great... But if you love your tones now, you don't have to update firmware, that's okay too! If past is prologue, Cliff may have more updates and cool new stuff coming...

It's going to take a long time to do all of this RIGHT (especially with controllers now) for the next update, so I don't expect the next 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack update to be done until this summer (hey, I still have a 9 to 5 job and have to travel away from my studio mid-week sometimes), but we'll see. I also want to add some new presets/sounds too/expand it some. So be patient, the wait will be worth it!

If you have any thoughts or feedback, let me know. Remember, these Naked Amps are a tool for YOU to get YOUR favorite sounds and customize " the last mile" for your hands, your guitars, your ears.... I'm just trying to help you sample the amazing amp "smorgasbord" in this box, and save you lots of time and work -- so you can play more, program less...

Really appreciate all the kind and helpful feedback you all have given me since started all of this 18 months ago...my commitment to you remains to make the best amp tones I can! My next immediate priority is to finish work on a 250+ (or 500?!?) Bass Tonepack done for the AX8 (and then Axe-III version), and later XL and Mark II. Collaborating with bass guru Scott Nelson locally on this between his tours/gigs, and we are about 33% there...then the 1000+ Naked Amps for Axe-III update is the next priority, although I'm starting on it here and there!

I know it is a lot of work but having some standard modulation block before the amp (phase, chorus, flanger) and delay and reverb post (all turned off) would be great. Otherwise, your Axe8 pack and Axe3 packs supercharged both units.

Hey

Quick question. I've yet to buy the naked pack, but have updated to FW3.01 so presumably I need to wait to you've updated the amp pack?

Hey

Quick question. I've yet to buy the naked pack, but have updated to FW3.01 so presumably I need to wait to you've updated the amp pack?

Why wait? Buddy said that it will be summer before he can get an update ready. If you wait you’ll just be depriving yourself of all that preset goodness. A certain number of major release updates are included in the purchase.

Hey

You CAN use the existing presets made under 1.x with the new 3.x firmware. It change the tone slightly. Until I get my second Axe-III unit mid-week I can't carefully A/B them properly to tell what exactly might need a slight tweaking or whether a lot of detail work is needed to clean up the things I did on round one (like sometimes lifting amp block GEQ @4kHz by a single db) that maybe the new firmware does itself.

The preset exceptions you should avoid are any presets (there are four or five) that use the old Ampeg SV Bass model -- those will overload/clip, because Cliff changed that amp model.

I actually posted the list of affected SV bass presets inside last night's post for you guys -- but for some reason it appears forum moderator deleted part of that my post? (Probably because I wanted you guys to weigh in on it - I have put a request on the Axe III Wish List to restore the old SV Bass model, and also keep the new SV Bass model too). The new model distorts quicker and has different tonal characteristics, you have to turn the AMP Level down below -22db or more with existing settings.

I'll list the affected Ampeg SVT presets again -- and hopefully this post sticks -- so don't use these presets (or specific scenes) for now if you are on firmware 2.05 or higher, or at least turn them waaaay down.

Ampeg SVT Bass -all scenes
SVT Bass live recording - all
Ampeg SVT for Guitar -- all scenes

(bonus presets)
Austin Johnson - just scene 3 "dirty rhythm"
Strat Vaughan-a-Bees = just scenes 5, 6 and 7

I also need to play with the Multi-Band Compressor on "Make my Electric into an Acoustic" to see if that needs a little adjustment....

Last edited:
Hello Austin!

I just bought your amp pack, and as a new AFX3 user, can I say that it has really helped me start getting good sounds out of my Axe. Factory presets were good, but your presets are exactly what I was trying to achieve.

Quick question about OUT2. I was really happy to see a guitar amp out included in every preset (and the looper! THANK YOU!!), but I notice that Output 2 is only XLR. Output 3, which would usually go to FOH/FRFR along with OUT1, is only 1/4 inch.

Is it possible somehow for me to swap these in bulk? OUT1/OUT2 (XLR) -> FOH/FRFR Mon, OUT3 (1/4")->guitar amp. That would also let me use humbusters on OUT2.

Thanks for your incredible work on this.

You CAN use the existing presets made under 1.x with the new 3.x firmware. It change the tone slightly. Until I get my second Axe-III unit lmid-week I can't carefully A/B them properly to tell what might need a slight tweaking.

The preset exceptions you should avoid are any presets (there are four or five) that use the old Ampeg SV Bass model -- those will overload/clip, because Cliff changed that amp model.

I actually posted the list of affected SV bass presets inside last night's post for you guys -- but for some reason it appears forum moderator deleted part of that my post? (Probably because I wanted you guys to weigh in on it - I have put a request on the Axe III Wish List to restore the old SV Bass model, and also keep the new SV Bass model too). The new model distorts quicker and has different tonal characteristcis, you have to turn the AMP Level down below -22db or more with existing settings.

I'll list the affected Ampeg SVT preset again -- and hopefully this one sticks -- so don't use these presets (or specific scenes) for now if you are on firmware 2.05 or higher

Ampeg SVT Bass -all scenes
SVT Bass live recording - all
Ampeg SVT for Guitar -- all scenes

(bonus presets)
Austin Johnson - scene 3 "dirty rhythm"
Strat Vaughan-a-Bees = scenes 5, 6 and 7

I also need to play with the Multi-Band Compressor on "Make my Electric into an Acoustic" to see if that needs a little adjustment....

Yeah kinda bumming about that. I used your Clean Mids scene in the Ampeg SVT Bass preset all the time. It doesn't just sound louder and clip the channel. There's something else changed too. That was my go-to bass preset.

Last edited:
Yeah kinda bumming about that. I used your Clean Mids scene in the Ampeg SVT Bass preset all the time. It doesn't just sound louder and clip the channel. There's something else changed too. That was my go-to bass preset.
I know, pretty sad here too...I love that amp model. Fingers crossed that Fractal Audio will restore it back in the future. I put the request on the Axe-III "Wish List" thread, so if you want to support the request you can chime in there.

Hello Austin!

I just bought your amp pack, and as a new AFX3 user, can I say that it has really helped me start getting good sounds out of my Axe. Factory presets were good, but your presets are exactly what I was trying to achieve.

Quick question about OUT2. I was really happy to see a guitar amp out included in every preset (and the looper! THANK YOU!!), but I notice that Output 2 is only XLR. Output 3, which would usually go to FOH/FRFR along with OUT1, is only 1/4 inch.

Is it possible somehow for me to swap these in bulk? OUT1/OUT2 (XLR) -> FOH/FRFR Mon, OUT3 (1/4")->guitar amp. That would also let me use humbusters on OUT2.

Thanks for your incredible work on this.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do this other than preset by preset. However, the 1/4 jacks are still TRS. You can buy an short cable adaptor to make the TRS into XLR - problem solved?

If you need to actually physically swap inputs, all I can think of offhand is that Fremen did a video that is on this forum somewhere on using a "Macro Recorder" to make bulk changes -- but I haven't really watched it. Check that out? But back up everythign before you do anything, always play it safe!

I'm not sure if there is a way to do this other than preset by preset. However, the 1/4 jacks are still TRS. You can buy an short cable adaptor to make the TRS into XLR - problem solved?

If you need to actually physically swap inputs, all I can think of offhand is that Fremen did a video that is on this forum somewhere on using a "Macro Recorder" to make bulk changes -- but I haven't really watched it. Check that out? But back up everythign before you do anything, always play it safe!

Thanks Austin. It would mean getting a 1/4->XLR adapter and an XLR->1/4 adapter, when the correct outputs are right there on the box. I will have a look at this macro recorder. Thanks! GREAT amp models can I say again!!!

FIRMWARE COMPARISON: 2.05 to new public beta 3.01

So tonight I finally got two Axe-III's running, both with the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack. One was one firmware 2.05, the other on the beta public 3.01. I have a Radial ABY Box to switch between the two units.

Have to say, I am totally impressed with 3.01 firmware. It is clearer and more articulate and sounds more like the real amp to me, compared to 2.05. It has a punch and presence like real amps do, when compared to 2.05 (which also sounds great -- 3.01 is just even BETTER). It may be cliche to say this, but it really is the BEST firmware I've heard yet!

There are slightly little less lows under3.01 presets on my 1000+ Naked Amps presets - but not terriblly off. Easy enough for you to add a little more bass to your favorite patches.

So far I've tried a dozen go-to amps and I don't see the need to do any dramatic tweaks or changes to the 1000+ Naked Amps presets -- the Marshalls for example sound better than they did on 2.05.

That doesn't mean there won't be an update eventually, but this firmware took a kick ass firmware (2.05) and made it even BETTER. Cliff continues to amaze us all!

I may try to do a quick video this weekend for you guys so you can hear the subtle differences for yourselves, time permitting...I'm convinced you'd like the 3.01 sounds for a preset over the 2.05 sounds.

My amp sounds are jumping right out of my speakers now -- so cool!

Last edited:
Hi- Just bought the 1000+ for AxeIII. Some very good sounds, but somehow much quieter than the factory presets... am i doing something wrong...?

Shouldn’t be. Everything was leveled to an average -12db. If anything a few may be louder than Factory presets.

FIRMWARE COMPARISON: 2.05 to new public beta 3.01

So tonight I finally got two Axe-III's running, both with the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack. One was one firmware 2.05, the other on the beta public 3.01. I have a Radial ABY Box to switch between the two units.

Have to say, I am totally impressed with 3.01 firmware. It is clearer and more articulate and sounds more like the real amp to me, compared to 2.05. It has a punch and presence like real amps do, when compared to 2.05 (which also sounds great -- 3.01 is just even BETTER). It may be cliche to say this, but it really is the BEST firmware I've heard yet!

There are slightly little less lows under3.01 presets on my 1000+ Naked Amps presets - but not terriblly off. Easy enough for you to add a little more bass to your favorite patches.

So far I've tried a dozen go-to amps and I don't see the need to do any dramatic tweaks or changes to the 1000+ Naked Amps presets -- the Marshalls for example sound better than they did on 2.05.

That doesn't mean there won't be an update eventually, but this firmware took a kick ass firmware (2.05) and made it even BETTER. Cliff continues to amaze us all!

I may try to do a quick video this weekend for you guys so you can hear the subtle differences for yourselves, time permitting...I'm convinced you'd like the 3.01 sounds for a preset over the 2.05 sounds.

My amp sounds are jumping right out of my speakers now -- so cool!

I’m finding the opposite of what you’re hearing. I feel a lot of the naked amps presets sound muddy with a loose low end on 3.01. A few of the presets sound good but I’m awaiting your update for 3.01. I liked 2.0 and before best as far as I can remember lol for amp simulation. I don’t have the luxury of A/Bing them side by side though. Didn’t like 2.05.

Last edited:
I’m finding the opposite of what you’re hearing. I feel a lot of the naked amps presets sound muddy with a loose low end on 3.01. A few of the presets sound good but I’m awaiting your update for 3.01. I liked 2.0 and before best as far as I can remember lol for amp simulation. I don’t have the luxury of A/Bing them side by side though. Didn’t like 2.05.
Maybe thats why they sound a bit weak compared to the factory presets as i said before..?

CORRECTION: No Level difference. My mistake.

Last edited:
Another question... Id like to fit both presets from factory and from Naked, but you cant fit all in the memory, Anyway to choose and load only what i like?

Interesting... give me two or three amps where you feel that way. I can fold them in to the A/B video this weekend. I have only played about a dozen amps so far... it may be some differ.

By the way, I love the new Cab Block filter slope choice of 12db Low/6db High —- that will likely become a default choice in future updates. Give that a try to see if it tightens up your bass response.

Another question... Id like to fit both presets from factory and from Naked, but you cant fit all in the memory, Anyway to choose and load only what i like?

You get four banks to use overall. Factory takes up three. Naked Amps takes up about 1.5 banks. So you have to choose.

You can back any bank up and save it. It can always be re-added later. You can use Axe-Edit’s Preset Manger function to move presets around and arrange them as you like. See my youTube videos on Axe-Edit to learn how...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom