AustinBuddy's 3 NEW Cab Packs in Fractal Store - here are his favs

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi Fractal Friends:

Fractal Audio is now selling three new Cab Packs created from multi-day sessions at Public Hi-Fi studios in Austin, Texas.

In addition to some studio amps/cabs, most are from Austin Vintage Guitars super cool amp collection. Thanks to feedback from the forum, I included ready-to-go mixes and also a folder of my chosen the best single mic captures, both contained in a “Quick Picks” folder for each Cab Pack.

Wanted to point out some specific favorites worth highlighting here from each of the three new Cab Packs. Also, these all also work great with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

Here's a link to my webpage that describes all 3 Cab Packs in greater detail. My quick favs:

Vintage Black & Tweed
Here, check out the Tweed Deluxe2 (think Keith Richards). We shot two Deluxes, and while both are great, the second one is my favorite color of this. I’m a big fan of the Fractal Tweed Deluxe amp model in general, and these IRs are great for dialing in old Rolling Stones, blues, or classic rock (like early ZZ Top – Billy Gibbons used Tweeds as well as Marshalls).

Next, I like the Little Tweed2 (Tweed Champ2). Think Ronnie Wood in the Faces, or Derek & the Dominoes, and the Tweed Pro Amp 1X15, which has great bottom and lower-mids.

But perhaps my favorite in the collection based on a classic blackface Vibrolux 2X10, and is probably the best sounding IR Fender-style capture I’ve ever heard! It’s got the right bass, mids, and highs EQ curve to sound great with any Blackface Fender amp model, and probably other models too!

Fantastic 2X12s
I’m especially in love with the “Big Brit” which is a 1971 oversize Marshall 2X12 with original 25 watt Greenbacks. Mmmmmm. It pairs fantastic with any Plexi-style amp from that era, the vintage greenback speakers crunch up just right to accent a crunchy or dimed amp model. There are plenty of great 4x12 Cab IRs out there in the marketplace, but this 2x12 is special!

I also love the “Matchbox2” IRs, based on a green DC30 Matchless amp. This 1990s DC-30 has mismatched speakers, and we shot both left and right speakers and did mixes that blend the two speakers together. If you love DC30 sounds, this is the IR collection you’ve been waiting for.

For a little “grind-ier” and less cliché Fender sound, try the 2x12 Blackface era closed-back Bassman cab we shot that is part of Public Hi-Fi’s studio collection. Perfect for Indie band tones using cranked clean (with a little grit) amps…I can’t say this for sure, but this cab probably was used on some Spoon records…

Oh, and there is a Vox AC-30 with two Greenbacks that belonged to Austin rock legend Charlie Sexton (Bob Dylan, Arc Angels, etc.) that is really unique sounding, plus a “MusicGuy” that is a cool Music Man 1x12 that sounds really great as well.

Vintage Cool & Rare
My favorite here is the awesome vintage 1966 1X15 Supro Thunderbolt amp/speaker, which pairs great with the Fractal Supro amp model. It totally gets that unique Supro vibe.

There is an old 50’s Gibson GA-30, a favorite in some recording studio circles, that has two different size speakers in it (we shot both) that pairs well with Tweed amps, very cool! There is a custom wood speaker cabinet with a vintage JBL d120f for those who like that speaker sound, which has a distinct high end (think Jerry Garcia, or Roy Buchanan).

The Pappas speaker is also great for cleans or jazz, as is the “Charlie Christian” Gibson suitcase amp/speaker, which has a newer Italian Jensen in it.

Big Bundle Offered: 3 for the Price of 2!
Proud of this Cab Pack, which adds a lot to my current, tone arsenal and helps make the 700+ Naked Amps Pack shine even further when paired.

And – you can buy all three packs from the Fractal webstore as a Big Bundle, for the price of two! Look for that specific offer as a separate item from the three individual packs, see here.

Hope to get some clips and videos showcasing these Cab Packs up later this month. Am always aiming to help you find the tones that inspire you. If you buy and find some new favorite IRs of old amps you love in this collection please share your results in this thread!
Cab-Pack-AB-ALL-final-alt.jpg

Last edited:
Just purchased the Big Bundle. I will be trying them out this weekend with the 700 Naked Amp Presets. Thanks Buddy, I will keep you posted!

Cool, thanks Manny! In the studio I only used the Naked Amps, either Scene 1 or 2, just as they are, to do the IR captures/test the results. Should be pretty to easy to line up the usual suspects like Tweeds, Marshalls plexis, Blackface, Supro, etc.

For the Cool and Rare, use Tweed amps like the Deluxe and Tweed Princeton for Gibson GA-30, El Tiny...

Cool, thanks Manny! In the studio I only used the Naked Amps, either Scene 1 or 2, just as they are, to do the IR captures/test the results. Should be pretty to easy to line up the usual suspects like Tweeds, Marshalls plexis, Blackface, Supro, etc.

For the Cool and Rare, use Tweed amps like the Deluxe and Tweed Princeton for Gibson GA-30, El Tiny...

That's exactly the information I was looking for!

Thanks again!

There seem to be a good number of real winners in this combo pack , from the little time I’ve had to check them out today. The big Brit 2x12 mixes sound incredible with the Smallbox preset from the Nekkid Pack...and once again, Buddy , nice to see you cater to the less-Djenty of us out here...tho I’m sure any number of these cabs could really roar when necessary...Thanks .

Hi Fractal Friends:

Fractal Audio is now selling three new Cab Packs created from multi-day sessions at Public Hi-Fi studios in Austin, Texas.

In addition to some studio amps/cabs, most are from Austin Vintage Guitars super cool amp collection. Thanks to feedback from the forum, I included ready-to-go mixes and also a folder of my chosen the best single mic captures, both contained in a “Quick Picks” folder for each Cab Pack.

Wanted to point out some specific favorites worth highlighting here from each of the three new Cab Packs. Also, these all also work great with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

Here's a link to my webpage that describes all 3 Cab Packs in greater detail. My quick favs:

Vintage Black & Tweed
Here, check out the Tweed Deluxe2 (think Keith Richards). We shot two Deluxes, and while both are great, the second one is my favorite color of this. I’m a big fan of the Fractal Tweed Deluxe amp model in general, and these IRs are great for dialing in old Rolling Stones, blues, or classic rock (like early ZZ Top – Billy Gibbons used Tweeds as well as Marshalls).

Next, I like the Little Tweed2 (Tweed Champ2). Think Ronnie Wood in the Faces, or Derek & the Dominoes, and the Tweed Pro Amp 1X15, which has great bottom and lower-mids.

But perhaps my favorite in the collection based on a classic blackface Vibrolux 2X10, and is probably the best sounding IR Fender-style capture I’ve ever heard! It’s got the right bass, mids, and highs EQ curve to sound great with any Blackface Fender amp model, and probably other models too!

Fantastic 2X12s
I’m especially in love with the “Big Brit” which is a 1971 oversize Marshall 2X12 with original 25 watt Greenbacks. Mmmmmm. It pairs fantastic with any Plexi-style amp from that era, the vintage greenback speakers crunch up just right to accent a crunchy or dimed amp model. There are plenty of great 4x12 Cab IRs out there in the marketplace, but this 2x12 is special!

I also love the “Matchbox2” IRs, based on a green DC30 Matchless amp. This 1990s DC-30 has mismatched speakers, and we shot both left and right speakers and did mixes that blend the two speakers together. If you love DC30 sounds, this is the IR collection you’ve been waiting for.

For a little “grind-ier” and less cliché Fender sound, try the 2x12 Blackface era closed-back Bassman cab we shot that is part of Public Hi-Fi’s studio collection. Perfect for Indie band tones using cranked clean (with a little grit) amps…I can’t say this for sure, but this cab probably was used on some Spoon records…

Oh, and there is a Vox AC-30 with two Greenbacks that belonged to Austin rock legend Charlie Sexton (Bob Dylan, Arc Angels, etc.) that is really unique sounding, plus a “MusicGuy” that is a cool Music Man 1x12 that sounds really great as well.

Vintage Cool & Rare
My favorite here is the awesome vintage 1966 1X15 Supro Thunderbolt amp/speaker, which pairs great with the Fractal Supro amp model. It totally gets that unique Supro vibe.

There is an old 50’s Gibson GA-30, a favorite in some recording studio circles, that has two different size speakers in it (we shot both) that pairs well with Tweed amps, very cool! There is a custom wood speaker cabinet with a vintage JBL d120f for those who like that speaker sound, which has a distinct high end (think Jerry Garcia, or Roy Buchanan).

The Pappas speaker is also great for cleans or jazz, as is the “Charlie Christian” Gibson suitcase amp/speaker, which has a newer Italian Jensen in it.

Proud of this Cab Pack, which adds a lot to my current, tone arsenal and helps make the 700+ Naked Amps Pack shine even further when paired.

And – you can buy all three packs from the Fractal webstore as a Big Bundle, for the price of two! Look for that specific offer as a separate item from the three individual packs, see here.

Hope to get some clips and videos showcasing these Cab Packs up later this month. Am always aiming to help you find the tones that inspire you. If you buy and find some new favorite IRs of old amps you love in this collection please share your results in this thread!
View attachment 42443

Cool - just picked up the Bundle.

Thanks for the pairings info above. It was what I had guessed but good to have confirmation!

Hi Fractal Friends:

Vintage Black & Tweed

Fantastic 2X12s

Vintage Cool & Rare

View attachment 42443

These are all really tasty, with several flavors I haven’t heard before....nice.

I finally had a chance to download the 9.02 presets and the cab packs. The stock cabs sounded good but these cabs really were a 100% improvement. I’m completely happy with the tones I’m getting out of my AX8 now. I’ve only messed with a few presets but my favorites so far are the Brit 2x12 with the Brown Eye presets, the Music Man cab with the Mesa Lonestar presets and my absolute favorite is the Blackface Vibroverb cab with the Custom Vibroverb preset.
This is my first time trying out aftermarket irs and it’s been fun.

I finally had a chance to download the 9.02 presets and the cab packs. The stock cabs sounded good but these cabs really were a 100% improvement. I’m completely happy with the tones I’m getting out of my AX8 now. I’ve only messed with a few presets but my favorites so far are the Brit 2x12 with the Brown Eye presets, the Music Man cab with the Mesa Lonestar presets and my absolute favorite is the Blackface Vibroverb cab with the Custom Vibroverb preset.
This is my first time trying out aftermarket irs and it’s been fun.

That 2x12 is the best Greenbacks Cab I've ever heard, and so is the 2X10 Vibroverb - best Fender Ir I've ever heard too.

Good call on the Music Man with the Mesa Lonestar -- I'll have to try that myself! Thanks!

Thank You man...
This bundle is da bomb. All the amps I love including the rare stuff are there.
Exactly what I was looking for and I never went down the rabbit hole because these amps are so unique.
I think I had a hard-on when I used the blackface and the rare IRs.
My wife is jealous...

I totally concur. These cab packs are awesome, especially when matched with the AB Amp Pack. Try the Beyerdynamic M160 mics + a little room mic...I'm getting some best sounds ever now!

I concur with your concurrence .....and I have recently rediscovered the pleasures to be had using Cab Lab in a DAW to use with other guitar modelers/VSTs , and Buddy's stuff adds life to all of them..

I took a risk and bought the Fantastic 212 pack without hearing any demos. It paid off!

DC30 + AustinBuddy's Matchbox2 121+57 L&R mix + your bridge pickup = instant classic DC30. I just spent an hour in Gin Blossoms land. All the extra jangle/bite/fizz I was getting from a 212 Gold IR has been solved.

I haven't even tried the rest of the pack lol.

I'm going for it!

Do you include some presets? I love your Naked Amps TonePack, you've got very good taste for matching the AMP-CAB equation.

Hi, actually I don’t include presets in the Cab Packs. But these IRs plug in very well with the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack presets, or presets you creatt wth the applicale modeled amp they are based on. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom