Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
@austinbuddy If I didn’t love the presets so much, I’d tell you to take a break! But seriously, thank you for such an incredible product and dedication to producing/updating such exceptional tones.
I am gonna work hard on getting all product firmware updates done by January, then I am going to take a break for a month...then the next project is an Effects Library that will work for Live Gold and Naked Amps, that is going to take all spring I’m sure.

I have two Axe-Fx IIIs, one is running 14.06 and the other 15.01.

I am going through the LiveGold TonePack at random picking different amp presets (about two dozen so far) and A/B'ing things to listen for differences.

Also, also am comparing to the Live Gold presets under new FM3 version 3 firmware, but that's not a totally apples-to-apples thing because the FM3 doesn't have Ultra-Res Cabs (at least, I don't think it does yet)... It's nice having a Lehle 3-way switcher on the floor to go back and forth easy. Everything is coming out the same CLRs, via the UAudio console.

Anyway, 15.01 my main conclusion so far is, to my ears, 15.01 has noticeably improved the sound of the individual string separation (such as playing chords), compared to 14.06. It sounds a little less mushed-together string-wise than 14.06 sounds (and that still sounded great). The update can makes you think the distortion or gain is slightly different between firmwares, but it's actually not to my ears thus far - it's just that you hear the individual strings in chords as you play more clearly than ever.

I'm going to keep comparing the different firmware/same presets for my own knowledge and edification, but so far (caveat: based on just 24 random presets out of 300+ sampled) I don't see that I need to make more than some touch-up preset changes under 15.01, and it sounds fantastic.

I have two Axe-Fx IIIs, one is running 14.06 and the other 15.01.

I am going through the LiveGold TonePack at random picking different amp presets (about two dozen so far) and A/B'ing things to listen for differences.

Also, also am comparing to the Live Gold presets under new FM3 version 3 firmware, but that's not a totally apples-to-apples thing because the FM3 doesn't have Ultra-Res Cabs (at least, I don't think it does yet)... It's nice having a Lehle 3-way switcher on the floor to go back and forth easy. Everything is coming out the same CLRs, via the UAudio console.

Anyway, 15.01 my main conclusion so far is, to my ears, 15.01 has noticeably improved the sound of the individual string separation (such as playing chords), compared to 14.06. It sounds a little less mushed-together string-wise than 14.06 sounds (and that still sounded great). The update can makes you think the distortion or gain is slightly different between firmwares, but it's actually not to my ears thus far - it's just that you hear the individual strings in chords as you play more clearly than ever.

I'm going to keep comparing the different firmware/same presets for my own knowledge and edification, but so far (caveat: based on just 24 random presets out of 300+ sampled) I don't see that I need to make more than some touch-up preset changes under 15.01, and it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for posting this...I have already decided that I need to get a second AxeFx just for these comparisons. I thought everything sounded better, the tonal quality sounded different-more hi fi to my ears. I suppose that is the clarity you are speaking of. Did you notice any difference in the feel of things?

Thanks for posting this...I have already decided that I need to get a second AxeFx just for these comparisons. I thought everything sounded better, the tonal quality sounded different-more hi fi to my ears. I suppose that is the clarity you are speaking of. Did you notice any difference in the feel of things?

It feels better because of the better string separation on chords — it connects you more to the guitar and the notes ringing out physically connected to the amp sound, if that makes sense.

Austin, we wait to upgrade to 3.0?

You can use the firmware 3.0 with the 1.06 with Live Gold presets okay in most preset cases.... but I'll also get an upgrade together in next few weeks that will include the new amp models.

I've already done much of the update work under 2.0 firmware, then 3.0 dropped -- and so I want to test some more, and the holidays are hitting... next week I'll be on it hard and heavy.

Last edited:
All you guys new to this, and not having an FC12 or FC6 controller will find this below info useful I want to (and will) do a video on how this works/how to do this soon, but I'm getting hammered with firmware updates and those take priority.

First, the problem: you guys are seeing the amp block shot shows controllers are attached to the amp (those yellow dots under Input Boost for CS2 for example) BUT you can't move them there, because they are supposed to be controlled by a foot switch.

CS2 - Input Boost
CS6 - Cut
CS3 -FAT
CS4- Brite (or reverses if bright is off for amp as default)
CS5- Saturation

AmpBlock with Modifier Attached.png

Also, if you right click over any of these with the yellow dot, you see something like this - this is how I attach CS2 modifier to Input Boost for example. (An alternate fix: You can always "detach" the Source 1 to = None, and then you will be able to toggle it in every scene the way you like:

CS2 Modifier.png

The Better Solution:

Go to CONTROLLERS (left top button). Then go to CS per Scene.

Here is where you can toggle/ turn any controller assigned CS 2 to CS6 ON or OFF instead, and do it be scene, all on one screen! Here is a screen shot. if you make a change here and SAVE the preset, it should remember it.

Now - after you make a change in the below (say, turned CS2 on in Scene 3, you may have to change to another Scene (besides Scene 3) then back to Scene 3 for the amp block in Axe-Edit to "see" the change you made and visibly show up in the amp block. If you hit "Save preset" it will save this change you made.

So you can turn on CS2 or other CS switches where you like by scene.

CS per Scene.png

I will do a video on all this, but this should help for now.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

Worked on this special TonePack for the FM3 for a loooong time. And it's SO worth it.

It's like a new & improved successor to the old AX8/Axe-Fx II 1000+ Dream Rigs, but with elements of the 1400+ Naked Amps for Axe-Fx III too.

I call it the "Live Gold" TonePack - because I approached these presets to make them all sound like a real amp in the room.

To do that, I used an Atomic NEO CLR about -10 to 12 feet away from me, cranked up to stage volume/LOUD. So I dialed in what I would want to hear on stage.

My beta testers tell me these are the best sounding presets I ever made! I humbly agree!

I'll post a video tutorial walking through all the design and details very soon. Expect a few well-known Fractal friends I shared Banks 1 and 2 with will soon make some demo videos, which we'll post here once done.

If you have an FM3, you are gonna LOVE this. It will open your FM3 up, promise. Each preset covers at least four sounds (with single coil options too in many) from clean to low to rhythm to high/lead, hitting almost every guitar amp model in the FM3 (but not bass).

The download zip file includes:

Bank 1 - the "Marshall style" bank. It includes presets of models based on amps by Marshall, Friedman, Splawn, Hook, Bogner and others.

Bank 2 - presets based on Fenders, Vox and Vintage Amps, Class-A Amps, and Boutique amps.

Bank 3 covers the modern and prog. metal amps. As a nice bonus, the great Mark Holcomb of Periphery collaborated with me in my studio here helped me dial in a few 5150 amp model presets using his PRS guitars.

Plus the zip download includes a README Release notes, a preset list, and a new FM3-only Master layout as well as an FM3+FC-6 OMG9 master layout, so you can set up the amp controllers -- you will want to access the CS2 AMP BOOST switch ALL THE TIME, it sounds so good!

What's more, there is also an Axe-Fx III version too now, and FM3 buyers get access to these same three banks of presets for the Axe-Fx III, and vice-versa.

Here's a video that explains much about the concepts behind the LiveGold TonePack, the preset layouts, but you get four scenes 1-4 dialed in for humbuckers, plus scenes 5-8 allow for single coil use. All presets have a wah, drive 2 block, delay and reverb, and many have other effects as well.

Is the WAH coming on in the LiveGold presets you load? If you don't use a pedal 1 or you a use a spring-loaded wah in pedal 1, you will need to set External Controller 1 Initial value to 100% (not 0%) else the wah will be initially on in every preset. This is covered in the release notes and now extensively in this video I made. Or you may have to make a one-time, simple single global change in the hardware for the pedal 1's "External1 controller Initial Value" in your FM3 hardware to be 100% instead of 0% (default), so your wah pedal reads as "off" for all presets. Read the release notes and
watch my new video on how to set up or fix wah issues here!

You can buy this TonePack now in the shop at www.austinbuddy.com.

View attachment 69635

Thanks everyone for your patience, you will be very happy with these presets and their comprehensive design! We'll use this thread for TonePack comments and updates, etc.

Here's a new video by Burg (Australia's mighty Brett Kingman) on the new TonePack - be sure to check out the Mark Holcomb (Periphery) presets coming in Bank 3 Brett used at the 7:00 mark to craft a little modern music!

Here's another little demo of the modern amps in Bank 3 from Rob:

Here's a video demo from Rick Webster, showing how he pulled three amps he loves into one killer preset - his "Dream rig"

Adding to thread: here is the introductory tutorial video about what's in it and how to set up the FM3, etc. Other videos like tone demos will be posted on my YouTube channel as completed.

Here's a second tutorial video showing how you can copy and paste an amp&cab/scene from one preset into your own preset to make your own "Dream rig."

Had the Naked Amp for the Axe Fx III and just got this for my FM3. I have not tried this one yet(from Brett Kingman it sounds equally as great as Naked Amps), but I truly believe all should look into these as they are truly time savers and very inspiring. Highly recommended from a long time modeler programmer.

Last edited:
Bought the tone pack and got it loaded up. Played through at first through headphones and thought they sounded thin. Next day turned up the CLR to 90+ Db and my goodness. These sound so good. Absolutely confirm they sound better live and at volume. Excellent mid presence and low end where needed, but these will all cut in a mix. Very grateful for the preset pack.

Finally.... got the latest FM3 Update installed. Will wait for Austin Buddy to update the Live Gold, and try it out then. ;p

Last edited:
Finally.... got the latest Update installed. Will wait for Austin Buddy to update the Live Gold, and try it out then. ;p

For most of the amps/presets, you CAN use the LiveGold fw 1.06 FM3 version with firmware 3.0. A few may sound a little sharper, there may be a little more loudness differences between cleans and leads, and it's not something I can globalize.... it seems to be idiosyncratic and amp model dependent>

I find sometimes having to reset some FM3 amp blocks alongside the Axe-Fx III versions and re-dial them in, to get them moving back to the same happy medium rather than drifting apart due to firmwares. I have no idea why. I just know I need to do it if I wan the FM3 and Axe-Fx III versions to be as close as they can be.

It's now going taking more time that I thought to go through them all to ensure that consistency and there are more tweaks than expected.

Doing the Axe-Fx III version update first this round (FM3 version came first last time), but also resetting some FM3s as I go.... Spent all afternoon on this....and will work all weekend on it. We'll see...

But don't let that stop you from installing and playing, although it's best to still use firmware 1.06 for now... but using 3.00 will still sound good/work in most (but not all) cases.

Bought the tone pack and got it loaded up. Played through at first through headphones and thought they sounded thin. Next day turned up the CLR to 90+ Db and my goodness. These sound so good. Absolutely confirm they sound better live and at volume. Excellent mid presence and low end where needed, but these will all cut in a mix. Very grateful for the preset pack.
Yes - that's it. The difference between LiveGold and the Naked Amps is that I dialed them in on CLRs 10-12 feet away at +92db, and you noticed it. At a low volume or via headphones you can lose the lower mids impact that are so important to the tone, due to Fletcher-Munson effect.

My download from your site just now says I have Live Gold Vers. 1.05. How do I get LiveGold fw 1.06 FM3 version??? Thx.

Okay gang -- Happy New Year! The FM3 1000+ LiveGold update is in your download area under your account on my website now for the latest FM3 firmware 3.01.

Let me note the Liv Gold Triple Crest 2 and 3 amp channels, as well as all the the Hook 34 amp presets, may have audible crackles under firmware 3.01, and I have reported that to Fractal Audio (this is not a preset issue). If you discover any other amp model presets are having that issue, let us know here. It's not an issue on the Axe-Fx III.

Please read the Release'Update notes, but real quick: the WAH block has been removed from all presets, but I've given you the tools to set up your own wahs, based on your preferences. All available new amp models have been added. I've fixed some things...

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 10.30.30 PM.png

As a bonus, similar to what I just put out in the updated Naked Amps, try adding this Compressor block (above) after the Cab block in any presets. This is set up to act more like an 1176 set up to be a studio limiter for guitars, and is very transparent but will add a little punch as well. Just copy these settings to make your own.

I'll get an AustinBuddy Winter 2021 Newsletter out sometime this week, letting everyone know about this new product update that way too.

Enjoy! Let me know of any issues, or if you discover some new amps and fall in love. I am really loving the Archon amp and the Diezels now.

Back
Top Bottom