Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
@austinbuddy thank you for creating the single coil scenes within these presets. I have multiple guitars with single coils, but I recently got a new guitar with P 90s and these scenes really bring it to life! Magic!

Agreed! We benefit from AB's decade of experience with Fractal, a lifetime of experience with tone, live performance and a mountain of hours and hard work in putting these together. As I've told others, I love the way he sets up each amp, cab and the organization behind the scenes and block controllers.

IMHO, using this Live Gold pack with the FM3 brings it as close as possible to a plug-and-play experience. I haven't touched a cab block or wasted a minute fooling around with IR's. Just dial through the amps, audition the scenes and find more great tones than you can possible use. Of course I know others love the tweaking process and I respect that ... not my style.

BTW, I'm running my FM3 out to the return of an Egnater Tweaker 15 into an open-back 1x12 loaded with a Celestion Blue. I've had some very nice amps over the years, but never had better tones ... and awesome tones at reasonable volume as well. Although tweaked for live use through FRFR, I couldn't be happier with how they translate to my poweramp+cab. The greatest challenge I find is choosing a handful of presets to set up as my main rigs!

Not only are the presets fantastic, but AB's support is as good as it gets. Thanks again brother! Den

I bought Austin Buddy “Live Gold” FM3 presets & can’t believe the clarity & quality of these amp models!

I can’t get past the JMP-1 model......Lol

I’m using them with a pair of Friedman ASC-10’s & it’s like it was made for them. I will be re-building some of my song based presets around these stellar amp tones too.

Yea, Wow!!! All of these are working for me so far & I’m finding the Cab IR’s funny at times too. I only know (& Luv V30’s), but there are many great amp/cab combinations. The Satch amps very cool & a great gain structure to them. I’m going to make some preset copies & add some FX & do some tests.

I did notice that the Output (#1) on some of these amps is hitting right at O dB & at times going into the red a bit. I know not to mess with the amp output volumes as you’ve mentioned & to only go down In volume using the Per scene Volumes......

Do the lead Scenes have a set DB boost for live band use already?

I’m interested as to what you guys are doing with these killer presets as far as Scene based Song presets. How are you tweaking the volumes &how are they working in a band setting?

I know it really helps that these amp models we’re made at volume & through a Rock Solid FRFR system!!! A++ There’s a clarity & feel laying through my FRFR that sounds stellar. The only downside is that the presets I’ve created sound slightly week or not as amp like and clear to me now!

More on this later.......X

There is a reason I put the JMP preamps first in the bank. The FM3/Axe-Fx III does exceptionally well when it models amp preamps.

Yes, sometimes the signal will tickle the red. The lead scenes do NOT have an additional db boost one board, but I level them differently, not by playing chords around the nut, but by playing lead notes around the 10th fret. So they should be a little hotter. You can always try the CS2 foot stench amp boost to push it out, or the scene mixer in the Out1 block.

There is a reason I put the JMP preamps first in the bank. The FM3/Axe-Fx III does exceptionally well when it models amp preamps.

Yes, sometimes the signal will tickle the red. The lead scenes do NOT have an additional db boost one board, but I level them differently, not by playing chords around the nut, but by playing lead notes around the 10th fret. So they should be a little hotter. You can always try the CS2 foot stench amp boost to push it out, or the scene mixer in the Out1 block.
Great info & thank you for responding!

I’ve already learned a lot about the Fractal way......& love seeing (& hearing) what you’ve created tone wise in these amp/cab combinations!

The way you go about creating these tones really stands-out to me. My FRFR system works SO WELL with your amp models & that kind of shocks me actually.

I will audition more of these presets & amp models before making my own song based presets. I will try to post some clips of the different tones & how they translate to my guitars, pickups & Friedman ASC-10 powered monitors.

This was the best $100 I’ve spent in a long time too!

Thanks! Tim

Great info & thank you for responding!

I’ve already learned a lot about the Fractal way......& love seeing (& hearing) what you’ve created tone wise in these amp/cab combinations!

The way you go about creating these tones really stands-out to me. My FRFR system works SO WELL with your amp models & that kind of shocks me actually.

I will audition more of these presets & amp models before making my own song based presets. I will try to post some clips of the different tones & how they translate to my guitars, pickups & Friedman ASC-10 powered monitors.

This was the best $100 I’ve spent in a long time too!

Thanks! Tim

I'm experiencing the same results going through my Friedman ASM-12. The tones in this pack really bring out the fact that my PRS SE Custom 24 is a cross between a Les Paul and a Strat. In particular, extra girth really comes through in the tones. Lately I can't break away from the Uberschall patch! Holy smokes it sounds great! Gets you into that Vivian Campbell/Last In Line area really quickly.

I honestly don't think I've ever been happier with my rig. And that includes formerly owning a Mesa Boogie Road King half-stack many years ago.

Ok.....I just took a low volume tour of the “SPLAWN” Amps & really love them. They were never even on my radar till now.

The Nitrous was very cool.....but the “Hot Rod OD1 & 2” moved me.....As did the “JCM OD1 QRod” amp models. They sit in a space sonically that really pleases me......Now I just need the wife to go away so I can CRANK UP the volume!!

I think I’m finding out that always going to a V30 type cab IR was actually hurting my lead tones & making them thinner than I wanted. These Splawm amps seem to use the “4x12 FRACTAL GB M160” cab IR too. (This is not something I’d even try)

The cuts on the IR are very interesting as is the “Slope” used as well.

I had some “Go to” things I was doing on the deeper amp controls that are not really being done most times on the AB presets. I also noticed some things on Leon Todd’s presets per different amps that he was doing too.

I think that these presets are a great “Amps of the World” tour & can teach you about how these amps (that most of us have never owned or tried) actually sound.

I can’t wait to try some of these at band practice & see how they sound in a mix & room.

I am also going to slightly change my preset/scene layout as well on my new hybrid presets......

These AB presets have truly opened up my eyes to some major things amp/cab wise.....& about rig building in general.

More later......

X

PS - I know that maybe none of this is worth anything without some clips......& I will try to put something together. It’s the “Amp in the room” thing at volume that’s what I love about the AB Gold pack & amps.....

PRS - Turning On/Off the amp boost, Fat Switch, Sat/more buttons while playing is also very interesting as to what they do on each of the different amps....

Last edited:
Hey Buddy, will the new FW 1.06 Beta 3 affect the sound of your Live Pack? I'm still on 1.05. I haven't tried any of the 1.06 betas yet. I was thinking of trying out the new Beta 3.

It shouldn't - in fact it will fix the Detune bug I mentioned in the notes and I think another one. 1.06 fixes do not affect amps or drives blocks.

Hi Buddy, as user of Live Gold pack, I wish a amp in the list..
Matchless Avalon 30 with 212 Matchless Extension cabint.

Again Buddy, in the FW1.11 of FC6, Live Gold OMG9 displays on FC6 the scenes
in lower numeric order (1,2, and 3) in the row of upstair while upper #4-#6 on downstair.
I have no idea how to swap these arrays,that is lower #'s to down stair while higers upstair.
Please kindly let me know how to swap those scenes. Thank you.

Is there a way, we can update the live-Gold presets, especially concerning the jmpre-1, that has been changed in the new 14.00 update, without loosing the entire preset?

Is there a way, we can update the live-Gold presets, especially concerning the jmpre-1, that has been changed in the new 14.00 update, without loosing the entire preset?
If memory serves, instead of doing a reset on the amp block, which resets all amp parameters, just change to the next amp model and then change it back. This resets the underlying model without changing your preset values.

Last edited:
Hi Guys: Cliff has released a new Axe-Fx III firmware 14.x on Friday (see why I wait before starting updates to 1000+ presets, 13.x already came and went that fast?).

Firmware 14.x has a few amp model updates that could change your LIVEGOLD sounds for those 6+ amp models (the other amp models will not be affected).

The new 14.x firmware probably will change the sounds of these amp models (below) and it adds two new ones. And there may be other little updates to 14.x to come, we 'll see - always smart to wait a little and see if any bugs lurk unexpectedly that need to be fixed.

Cliff Release Notes:

<<Because of the cathode follower change the following amp models have been updated:

Friedman Small Box
Dizzy V4 Blue (all models)
Herbie (all models)
Recto 1/2 (all models)

Due to the discovery of a measurement error the JMPre-1 models have been completely reworked. If you are using any of these models it is recommended to reset the block and audition your preset(s).

The Tube Pre model has been changed so that the power amp is off by default.

Added a couple new amp models.>>

I will eventually (next few months, not imminent) do an update to the LIVEGOLD TonePack for these changed models listed above and add the two news amps (one is a Plexi), but I'm also probably going to wait for the FM3 firmware to catch up to include all these fixes, and then do them all at the same time/one go.

When done (October?!?) will post here about that. Until then, you may want to stay on firmware 12.14 or 13.x, your choice.

In the interim, we are getting the new for FM3/Axe-Fx III 200+ Bass TonePack in done (60% there now) next two weeks....and then I want to go back through Brit Rock Royalty #1 again, since there is a new compressor type that is more like the UAudio 1176 they used in studio, and see if I can make that a little better too. I'd like to see if I can make an FM3 version of Brit Rock Royalty as well (no promises, it may not be 100% possible given complex studio signal chains), and that will take a few weeks probably.

I also want to knock out a Brit Rock Royalty #2 for the next 4-5 albums, but that depends on the availability of my partners.

All in all, I feel good that by November we'll have updated versions of 1000+ Live Gold to the new firmware of that time period (though not necessarily covering all the drive blocks being replaced with new ones, we'll see).

I need to probably updated the 1400+ Naked Amps soon too on a few things as well... so, sounds like I will be stupid busy through the end of the year!

Hi Buddy, as user of Live Gold pack, I wish a amp in the list..
Matchless Avalon 30 with 212 Matchless Extension cabint.

That's not up to me. Cliff would have to model that amp/add it, and we'd need an extension cabinet (although I have a Matchless 2X12 in the Factory cabs and two different ones in my Fantastic 2x12 Cabs on Fractal Audio's website). So you need to put that request in the Fractal FM3 or Axe-Fx III Wish List threads if you want it.

Again Buddy, in the FW1.11 of FC6, Live Gold OMG9 displays on FC6 the scenes
in lower numeric order (1,2, and 3) in the row of upstair while upper #4-#6 on downstair.
I have no idea how to swap these arrays,that is lower #'s to down stair while higers upstair.
Please kindly let me know how to swap those scenes. Thank you.

??? Post a screen shot??? Mine OMG-9 is working fine, Scenes 1-2-3 on lower row, Scenes 4-5-6 upper row, holding SCENE/More button moves to Scenes 7-8.

Send us a screen shot, from FM3-Edit, of the FC Controller page for scenes (layout 2) for that preset. Use the Switches "Show As FC-6" option to show what the FC-6 SHOULD say. Does it look like this (mine is below)? or is it reversed?

Do you have any PER PRESET switches assigned that may be overriding in that preset??

Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 7.21.16 PM.png?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you have any PER PRESET switches assigned that may be overriding in that preset ==> NO!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FM3-Edit.jpg

Back
Top Bottom