Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I am now up and running with 12.4 and the gold preset packs. I rolled back to firmware 12.4 and then applied all three banks using the latest set from AUSTINBUDDY. I also reset the system parameters of my AX3 for good measure. This had me up and running.
On a sidenote my expression pedals are plugged into my FC 12, so I had to go into the midi parameters and map expression one to be expression one on the fc12. This addressed the wah being on in every preset.

These preset are some of the best I’ve ever heard! Thanks AUSTINBUDDY!

Last edited:
So... I had embarrassingly misspelled Guthrie Govan's name in the Scene 4 Suhr Badger 30W "Lead" preset, adding an extra "e". :eek: Then he bought the TonePack, and ever the English gentlemen, he gently corrected me after I had reached out to him. He's really a prince of a human being. So that's another fix I had to make a second time when I fixed Bank for both versions! ;)

Also, if you just bought this TonePack this weekend/in the last 48 hours, just in FM3 version, inexplicably the wrong Bank 2 got updated, some draft 200+ Bass Tonepack stuff. Still not sure how that happened but discovered it tonight. Whoops.

That's been fixed. Everything FINALLY should be final - an 8/24/2020 version is in your accounts now. I'll be sending an email out tonight to all those who bought it, as some don't follow the forum.

So... I had embarrassingly misspelled Guthrie Govan's name in the Scene 4 Suhr Badger 30W "Lead" preset, adding an extra "e". :eek: Then he bought the TonePack, and ever the English gentlemen, he gently corrected me after I had reached out to him. He's really a prince of a human being. So that's another fix I had to make a second time when I fixed Bank 2 - for both versions! ;)

Also, if you just bought this TonePack this weekend/in the last 48 hours, just in FM3 version, inexplicably the wrong Bank 2 got updated, some draft 200+ Bass Tonepack stuff... Still not sure how that happened but discovered it tonight. Whoops.

That's been fixed. Everything FINALLY should be final - an 8/24/2020 version is in your accounts now. I'll be sending an email out tonight to all those who bought it, as some don't follow the forum.

Last edited:
So... I had embarrassingly misspelled Guthrie Govan's name in the Scene 4 Suhr Badger 30W "Lead" preset, adding an extra "e". :eek: Then he bought the TonePack, and ever the English gentlemen, he gently corrected me after I had reached out to him. He's really a prince of a human being. So that's another fix I had to make a second time when I fixed Bank for both versions! ;)

I love the fact that Guthrie himself is buying your TonePack! That alone is a massive feather in your cap and testament to how good this pack is!

I love the fact that Guthrie himself is buying your TonePack! That alone is a massive feather in your cap and testament to how good this pack is!

Once got to see him play at a club and chat with him after briefly, simple an amazing player (arguably one of the ten best players on the planet) and a genuinely warm human being. He likes to use things like an AX8 (he had the original 700+ Naked Amps) and now the FM3 to do clinics and such because they are so portable as well as sounding great (although he would sound great through anything!). It was an honor to have him check my TonePack stuff out for sure, and he couldn't have been more kind in our email correspondence.

Thanks for all your hard work to get things straightened out in light of the changing FW versions.

Yes, I got the email out to all the LIVEGOLD users last night and in my rush the email template still said 2018 at the top when it should bene updated to 2020...

Time for more Homer Simpson DOH! face. Let's hope this update solves all the immediate issues you guys have catalogued above.

Just a quick shout out to Austin Buddy... I bought this pack a while ago and finally got to dig into it these past 2 days... Great work! It covers a lot of territory... Now back to playing before life interrupts again.....

Just a quick shout out to Austin Buddy... I bought this pack a while ago and finally got to dig into it these past 2 days... Great work! It covers a lot of territory... Now back to playing before life interrupts again.....

Glad u r diggings the tones!

If you bought it awhile ago/earlier version (was this before bank 3 was added?), you might want to re-download it and re-send at least Bank 2...some of the Bank 2 stuff was funky in the first versions, with amp assignments for saturation CS5 and lo cut CS6 switched, but now corrected.

Enjoy!

Glad u r diggings the tones!

If you bought it awhile ago/earlier version (was this before bank 3 was added?), you might want to re-download it and re-send at least Bank 2...some of the Bank 2 stuff was funky in the first versions, with amp assignments for saturation CS5 and lo cut CS6 switched, but now corrected.

Enjoy!
Will do thanks!

Just a gentle reminder - the introductory $79 sale price for the 1000+ LIVEGOLD will end August 31st (in less than a week).

So if you have been thinking about getting it, be aware that in September, the sale ends and the product price will revert back the normal price for most AustinBuddy TonePacks of $99 (and yes, it's still a steal at that price too for what you get!).

It probably won't go on sale again until after Thanksgiving, per my usual holiday season sales period.

Cheers!

-AB

Just a gentle reminder - the introductory $79 sale price for the 1000+ LIVEGOLD will end August 31st (in less than a week).

So if you have been thinking about getting it, be aware that in September, the sale ends and the product price will revert back the normal price for most AustinBuddy TonePacks of $99 (and yes, it's still a steal at that price too for what you get!).

It probably won't go on sale again until after Thanksgiving, per my usual holiday season sales period.

Cheers!

-AB

Picked these up a few days ago and there are some really great sounds in there. I liked your Atomica (Brown Sound) preset so much, I am planning on taking it for a spin at a gig this weekend.

I have to say, even EVH aside, that Atomica amp is one of my very favorite Marshall-y sounds.... hard to beat.

I just bought the Live Gold for Axe FXIII and am going though bank 1. The last 7 presets I tried (from Slash's AFD100 through Silver Jubilee) are the worst sounding presets anyone could imagine. Ice pick in your ears. I thought the wah was on full treble, but it wasn't. I have a pedal assigned to external 1 for wah and it works fine. So that's not it. I can't imagine how anyone, anywhere, in any circumstance would think those presets sounded good.

Update: I went through the presets up to the start of the Soldano section and thank God none of the rest of them sound like that, except for the 2C&2D Cameron CCV100x3 which is ice pick in your ears also.

Last edited:
I didn't want to use Buddy's layouts because I have my layouts the way I want them, but I did create a layout to try out his presets. I set up switches 1-4 for Scenes 5-8, I set up switch 5 for the Drive 2, switch 6 for Preset down 1, switch 7-11 for Input trim, Input boost, Cut, Fat, Saturation, and switch 12 for Preset up 1.

That way I could turn on/off all the different amp controls, and the drive to see how those affected the presets. The Input boost really helps some of the scenes. You can't just turn it on with the FC-12 and have it save though. You have to use Axe Edit and go to controllers, CS per scene, CS2, scroll down to the scene you want the Input boost to be on it and select on.
Either that or just disconnect the control switch from the Input boost completely, which might be easier.

I like the way scenes 1-4 are set up for humbuckers and scenes 5-8 are set up for single coils as I use a Les Paul and Stratocaster.

Last edited:
I just bought the Live Gold for Axe FXIII and am going though bank 1. The last 7 presets I tried (from Slash's AFD100 through Silver Jubilee) are the worst sounding presets anyone could imagine. Ice pick in your ears. I thought the wah was on full treble, but it wasn't. I have a pedal assigned to external 1 for wah and it works fine. So that's not it. I can't imagine how anyone, anywhere, in any circumstance would think those presets sounded good.

Update: I went through the presets up to the start of the Soldano section and thank God none of the rest of them sound like that, except for the 2C&2D Cameron CCV100x3 which is ice pick in your ears also.

The CLRs must be dark sounding and lacking in treble because in general almost all of the presets have a little too much treble to me. Only the ones I mentioned above are oppressive. Or maybe Austin Buddy has lost some of his high end hearing from dialing in all these presets while blasting the CLRs.

So @trancegodz, sorry you aren't happy with LiveGold -- so allow me to ask you a few questions to see if maybe there is something missed here:

1. What guitar are you using? What year (modern, vintage) and pickups (low, medium high output)? Strings (steel or nickel?)

2. What playback system -- are you using a power amp in to a real cab, or FRFRs, or studio monitors? Are you using the XLR outs or the S/PDIF out?

Be specific. This is real important for us to know.

3. Are you playing loud (over 92db) or soft like bedroom monitoring?

4. What is your Axe-Fx III Output 1 knob setting at?

5. Is your Axe-Fx III's Global Output1 EQ and Output2 EQ flat - all at zero?

6. Are you using a spring loaded pedal in exp. 1 for the wah, or not?

7. When you look at the WAH block, is the "Control" value showing at zero, or 10, or some other number?

(As example, I have a Mission pedal that will not calibrate right, and the wah shows up at 9.17 and won't turn off when I use that pedal -- while my Fractal pedal does not have this issue - something worth checking).

8. If you roll your guitar's tone knob down to 5 or 6, is it still too bright, or does that help a lot? (BTW, I dialed these in with my tone up at 10 on my bridge, but I personally usually roll my bridge tone knob down to 6-7 or so when I play whether Les Paul or Strat or even Tele).

FYI, I have a pair of high end studio pro ATC 25's monitors here. They are the monitors Guys like Eddie Kramer (Hendrix, Zeppelin, etc). and Elliott Scheiner (Eagles, Steely Dan) mix on. I had conversations with them at NAMM about these amazing, transparent speakers.

I played all those presets this morning only on my ATC 25s, and I don't hear what you described at all. (In fact, the ATCs are a little darker than the Atomic CLRs). I am working on a bass pack all day today with a bassist, but if I have some time next 48 hours, perhaps I (or someone eese here?) can make a Logic Track of the sounds I'm hearing and post it here. I'd love to hear you do the same and share so we can compare.

You are the first in hundreds who have the TonePack to say this is an issue, and that makes me think there is a problem somewhere we can fix here.

By the way, the real life JCM 800 amps and the Slash amp ARE trebly and raspy compared to many Marshall-style amps. Not amps I would grab as my first choice for a Marshall, but they can "slice through"in a mix. On those amps, you have to turn the gain up high to get them to darken up. So yes, a clean and lower gain Scenes 1 or 2 is going to be brighter sounding than the Scenes 3 or 4 versions of those amps - that's the way the real life amps work.

On FRFRs, if anything, the Atomic CLRs have very detailed mids -- they are not dark, I assure you, and others can chime in.

Last, unlike the Naked Amps which were designed for recording via studio monitors (as I said in my video), these presets were made to be played live, loud, from a good FRFR speaker about 10 feet away from you like on stage, with lots of mids and highs to punch through in a band mix, but with some bottom like a speaker cab, and so that with a good FRFR when you move around stage four feet left or four feet right, when playing, you don't lose all your sound's highs (so it's not just okay standing in one sweet spot but you move three feet and all your highs are gone - some FRFRs have that issue).

Lets us know, and we can take this into a private conversation if you prefer, or hash it out here Happy to work with you to figure out what's causing this.

Anyone else with Axe-Fx III LiveGold finding similar "everything is too bright", or finding to the contrary, that wants to weigh in (respectfully please)?

Last edited:
Absolutely not. But I’m playing through a pair of CLR’s too. I’m guessing his issue may be the wah setup.

The only "bright" presets I've found are the JCM 800's with the v30 and some scenes in the Slash amp. They've got a lot more top end then I'm used to having, but I expect with V30 and a JCM that it will really sizzle. I'm looking forward to trying that preset out live next week to see how it is at gig volume with a full band. There's a lot of presets that are bright and a bunch that are dark, but not excessively so. I wouldn't say any sound bad. There's a bunch that I wouldn't use, but many more that I will, which is what I'd expect with 3 full banks of presets.

It can't be stressed enough that you need to use these loud to have them sound right. Especially the darker presets really open up when you crank them.

From what OP describes there has to be something up with his setup. There's no way anyone with at least a half decent setup wouldn't find at least a handful of presets that they like.

Back
Top Bottom