• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 Presets AustinBuddy's 1000+ "LIVE GOLD" TonePack for FM3 Cygnus firmware 4.x Update Now Available!

Third-party preset or preset pack for the FM3

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Where you put this has an effect potentially on the tone. before the amp is different than someplace after the amp. Lots of answers to this question, others can chime in.

So - You just want everything in preset to get louder, like 3db or something, say for a lead?

You can do that in Output 1 block by going to the scene mixer, and you would not need a CS2 boost at all, as one example.

I did not use CS1 assigned on purpose - you could use that. But understand, the more CS switches you have put on a mp block, the more the more it loads it and it can cause crackling - you might have to remove some other CS blocks you don't use (lo cut, saturation, brite switch reverse) to keep the load steady.

B4 Amp:
If you are trying to goose an amp (more drive) and input, the Filter Block does this. No need to use CS block, use Filter block and set the DB boost you want, then turn it on/off..

@Burgs has a trick that is smart and saves your CPU, he uses the Input Block and makes a second channel (B or C) and then raises the level there. SMART!

Inside Amp Block, with CS:

Assuming you don't want to change the tone, just make it louder. Then you could assign a CS switch to the LEVEL. You'd define the initial level, as the min, and the +3db or so as the max level. When you stomp it, amp block gets louder. Be careful though if using Live Gold, because some presets are hot and adding 3db here may get you close to clipping territory.

After Amp Block, with CS:

Anything goes here - million ways to skin this cat. For example, any LEVEL control in a effects block after an amp/cab will work the same way it does in the prior example.

Take Reverb Block if last block. That LEVEL defaults to 0 (zero).

Open reverb block, then go to LEVEL and left click to open modifier window.

For minimum, put 0, then max value, put 3(db) or your choice -- just don't clip the unit!

Pick CS1 to assign to it. Close/save. Now hitting CS1 will activate the 3db boost in this block.

You could also, CPU permitting, add a Volume block right after the Cab block, before the wet effects, or last in the chain, and assign an Exernal pedal to it (or the CS trick) - just assign either pedal or CS to LEVEL. Now when your pedal is back, it's normal, when you push it down, you get extra 3db.

Experiment. Lotsa of ways to do this. Personally? I would prefer a dedicated Lead scene in the preset, using a LiveGold default lead tone, but then adding the extra volume of 3db or so added in the Output 1 Scene mixer - to punch out. Should be enough headroom so it does not clip.
Another approach is to set up a pad to drop level by the desired amount, and remove the pad to 'boost'. This gets around the worry of clipping....

I set up a VolPan block at -4.5dB before the delay/reverb, as my normal volume, and I bump it up to 0dB for leads. It also gives me a volume pedal in every preset. :)

Jipps0525

Experienced
Gotcha, makes sense. Since we know CS switches add to amp load, then I'd tie it to the last effect in your signal chain - maybe revert block LEVEL, have CS1 make it go from 0db in that block (min) to 3db or so (max value). Should work!
Didnt realize I could just swap out one of the controller switches on that layout for an effect. Just swapped it for a Filter block with a dB boost

Jipps0525

Experienced
Big fan of ABuddy's livegold pack, but wanted to mix and match a bit. Copied ABuddys Ch.3 Herbert lead into the hevy Devy preset. My CPU going from 80-85% but hasnt cut out at all yet. Can anyone try this and see if they have any issues. Would be greatly appreciated! If there are no issues I'd like to leave it the same becuase I like the sounds from the effects in this Devy preset.

Attachments

• New Hevy Devy.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Big fan of ABuddy's livegold pack, but wanted to mix and match a bit. Copied ABuddys Ch.3 Herbert lead into the hevy Devy preset. My CPU going from 80-85% but hasnt cut out at all yet. Can anyone try this and see if they have any issues. Would be greatly appreciated! If there are no issues I'd like to leave it the same becuase I like the sounds from the effects in this Devy preset.
Haven’t loaded this, but would suggest you disconnect any CS controllers attached to amp block that you are not using. Also, you can get some CPU % back by using the Classic noise gate over intelligent, and turning it off…

Jipps0525

Experienced
Haven’t loaded this, but would suggest you disconnect any CS controllers attached to amp block that you are not using. Also, you can get some CPU % back by using the Classic noise gate over intelligent, and turning it off…
Wouldn’t it be smart to have a noise Gate for the Herbert channel 3?

Jipps0525

Experienced
Hey ABuddy, are the presets all uniformly leveled to the specific scenes within a preset? Or is every one of the presets in the pack uniformly leveled or closely leveled all in all? Feel like experimenting and want to do some copy and pasting of blocks

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey ABuddy, are the presets all uniformly leveled to the specific scenes within a preset? Or is every one of the presets in the pack uniformly leveled or closely leveled all in all? Feel like experimenting and want to do some copy and pasting of blocks

Hi @Jipps0525:

They are very close in terms of what the preset out signals look like level-wise on a digital console (I use UAudio Apollo) - that is how I level them, I literally have a post i note with a range between -12db and -9db stuck to my monitors so i can see if the level is under or over. Low Es always will be louder than leads play up higher on the neck.

The frequency content of an amp/preset can fool you and make you think something sound louder than another preset is, yet their visual signal levels on a digital console can be virtually identical. A Dizzy model will sound a lot louder than a Fender Blackface amp, but they may hit the meters pretty close comparing the presets, as an example.

So use your ears - but also your eyes on a DAW channel strip level - to monitor the levels between patches, as you make your custom amp patches. That 3rd video on Youtube LiveGold I did shows how to cut and paste. And remember, you want your lead patches (Scene 4/8) to be a little louder so you cut through -- those are a little hotter by design than Scenes 1-3/5-7.

Rex

Legend!
The presets are as well-leveled as they can be. There are too many variables to guarantee that any group of presets can be perfectly leveled:

1) Guitar — I have presets that are perfectly leveled on my Les Paul copy, but not on a Tele.

2) Different definitions of “leveling” — presets that look perfectly level on the meter can sound very unleveled to your ear, and vice-versa.

3) Different uses — I don’t even want my hard-driving rhythm preset (or scene) to be the same level as my laid-back arpeggio preset.

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
The presets are as well-leveled as they can be. There are too many variables to guarantee that any group of presets can be perfectly leveled:

1) Guitar — I have presets that are perfectly leveled on my Les Paul copy, but not on a Tele.

2) Different definitions of “leveling” — presets that look perfectly level on the meter can sound very unleveled to your ear, and vice-versa.

3) Different uses — I don’t even want my hard-driving rhythm preset (or scene) to be the same level as my laid-back arpeggio preset.
+1000 to Rex's great points.

I level everything on some medium output humbuckers (unless it is a Strat or Tele specific preset). If you use single coils, be sure to use Scenes 5-8 instead/that filter block ON, to up the signal hitting the amp.

clags

Hey guys -- sorry if this got covered as the thread is a massive 38 pages...

I own this pack and an FM3 and just secured my FM9 order. @austinbuddy what do you recommend for us moving to FM9 if we want to make best efforts to keep your awesome presets in this pack (outside of "Just wait for the FM9 version). Thanks in advance for your awesome work!

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey guys -- sorry if this got covered as the thread is a massive 38 pages...

I own this pack and an FM3 and just secured my FM9 order. @austinbuddy what do you recommend for us moving to FM9 if we want to make best efforts to keep your awesome presets in this pack (outside of "Just wait for the FM9 version). Thanks in advance for your awesome work!
You can import them now using FM9-Edit’s Preset Manager BUT the tap tempo delay or delay time will be messed up in all presets if you do. It’s a bug in FM9. You just need to go into delay time and fix it to your liking for any single preset. Then I would try changing the Cab block settings from
standard to Ultra Res and see if you like that better. Will sound better, but uses more CPU. That’s really it.

clags

You can import them now using FM9-Edit’s Preset Manager BUT the tap tempo delay or delay time will be messed up in all presets if you do. It’s a bug in FM9. You just need to go into delay time and fix it to your liking for any single preset. Then I would try changing the Cab block settings from
standard to Ultra Res and see if you like that better. Will sound better, but uses more CPU. That’s really it.
Do you mean manually editing the delay block on any preset?

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Do you mean manually editing the delay block on any preset?
Yep. Until the editor bug is fixed, if you import,the editor can incorrectly cut preset delay time in half and can mess with how the tap tempo works. That is the hold up for me to get an FM9 version out. It’s a known bug and on the Fractal team’s list. So if you import a LiveGold preset into FM9 now, you need to reset the delay times and unhook and re hook up tap tempo.

Hi AB, just a note to say that this pack is simply amazing!!

I have been struggling with the FM3 in either 4CM or indeed direct with preset levels etc etc and was beginning to lose faith in the complete thing and was going to move away from it all and go back to pedals.

I stumbled across Burgs’ demo vid and quickly realised that this is what I was missing!!

Spent most of this morning choosing out my favourite presets/amps and reconfiguring them for Output2 to SD170/cabs and Output1 to FOH and at this point without too much more deep diving I’m finding sounds that I knew were in the box somewhere!!

I could have cried when I cranked the rig up on the CAE++ presets!!

Thank you!!

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi AB, just a note to say that this pack is simply amazing!!

I have been struggling with the FM3 in either 4CM or indeed direct with preset levels etc etc and was beginning to lose faith in the complete thing and was going to move away from it all and go back to pedals.

I stumbled across Burgs’ demo vid and quickly realised that this is what I was missing!!

Spent most of this morning choosing out my favourite presets/amps and reconfiguring them for Output2 to SD170/cabs and Output1 to FOH and at this point without too much more deep diving I’m finding sounds that I knew were in the box somewhere!!

I could have cried when I cranked the rig up on the CAE++ presets!!

Thank you!!
So glad you are loving like others! It's just such a great and comprehensive "base amp tone" tool for you to then make your own tones/rigs creatively!

clags

Got my FM9 yesterday - so just to clarify when I am importing my FM3 presets here from the gold pack, all I need to do is copy a delay block from a working FM9 factory preset and the bug should be avoided?

Robboman

Fractal Fanatic
Got my FM9 recently too - If you are still planning to release and include FM9-ready banks in downloads after Fractal fixes the delay bug, then maybe I'll just wait it out.

Are you planning any enhancements for FM9 to take advantage of the extra CPU overhead? For example, dual-amp presets or otherwise more loaded-up presets?

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
The amp tones will be fine. You may want to switch the Cab setting which defaults to STANDARD to ULTRA-RES, if you have the CPU.

The delay block has a tap temp attached to it. Maybe I set the BPM to 120 in the preset. The delay , on the III anyway, imports as half the value it should be. So, preset by preset, you have to disconnect the tap tempo and set the delay value for it ii work. I'm away from my machines until this weekend for a long overdue vacation, but if there is more to it than that will let you know. The other piece is the compressors on FM9 and FM3 are the same, but the III Studio compressors are different knees types(more), so those if going fromIII to FM9 have to also be adjusted, can cause a volume loss.

Top Bottom