AustinBuddy Video: How to Properly Set Preset Levels

Yes -- that +9db added at Global EQ will clip almost anything you are running into - set it to zero and your problem is now solved?

Isn't this community awesome how we help each other? Shout out to Chris and Rex!
Absolutely - community is fantastic. Now I just need to go back and reset my preset levels. Too bad there wasn't a product out there where some"buddy" did that for you ;-)

So on page 15 of the Axe-FX II manual it states:

> To operate with unity gain, set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in. (If you’re not using the Axe-Fx in the loop of a tube amp, unity gain is likely not relevant.)

But in the video it's stated that noon is unity gain. Is the manual wrong?

No, the manual is correct. Unity gain isn't really a good term for what the video describes, which is matching output level to a typical line input's sensitivity so you get the same level with digital vs. analog. Typically unity gain refers to getting the same output level as what you sent into a device, which is what all shunts will give with the knob at 100%.

So on page 15 of the Axe-FX II manual it states:

> To operate with unity gain, set the Output Level knobs to maximum. If you then route shunts from the input to the output you will get out exactly what you put in. (If you’re not using the Axe-Fx in the loop of a tube amp, unity gain is likely not relevant.)

That is with no amp remember! Just DI. An amp
and cab will boost the signal a LOT over a DI (direct signal)

Hi ,
I really love the videos.

Quick question , when setting the levels for live you say get a db reader/ app and try to get it to 92dbs. Where should I place the db reader when setting the sound beside the monitor or a few feet away etc?

I use inears on stage how do I achieve 92dbs for my IE

Thanks

Dom

Quick question , when setting the levels for live you say get a db reader/ app and try to get it to 92dbs. Where should I place the db reader when setting the sound beside the monitor or a few feet away etc?
Where you you put your ears? Beside the monitor or a few feet away? ;)

I try to set a sound at home using a monitor,, I didn’t realise this whole 92db thing until I watched this video.

If I’m using inears onstage how to I set them considering the 92db that’s recommended
Set them loud enough to hear clearly, but no louder. You can't use an SPL meter with in-ears, unless you have it surgically implanted in your head. :)

If I’m using inears onstage how to I set them considering the 92db that’s recommended
Dom1:

First think about how the audience is going tk hear your sounds — that is why 92 db in front of amp or monitor makes sense. Else Fletcher Munson effect ( see wikipedia) when you dial in presets.

I do it both about a yard away when I measure. Once I know the volume range on my equipment to gett to 92 db output, I don’t have to kill my ears...you do it for awhile then you know what works and doesn’t.

I also have a monitor about 12 feet away to simulate being on stage aa a check on the sound. Loud enough? Balanced, not too much bass, too much treble, good strong mids to punch through?

Lots of in ear types, but they should replay sound like monitors do.

Dom1:

First think about how the audience is going tk hear your sounds — that is why 92 db in front of amp or monitor makes sense. Else Fletcher Munson effect ( see wikipedia) when you dial in presets.

I do it both about a yard away when I measure. Once I know the volume range on my equipment to gett to 92 db output, I don’t have to kill my ears...you do it for awhile then you know what works and doesn’t.

I also have a monitor about 12 feet away to simulate being on stage aa a check on the sound. Loud enough? Balanced, not too much bass, too much treble, good strong mids to punch through?

Lots of in ear types, but they should replay sound like monitors do.
Thanks Austin, great videos much appreciated

Thanks for the video - exactly what I needed to get up and running quick with consistent output levels! Huge!!

You bet. Also -- make sure that at the output stage you are set to -10 and not +4db. It's on the audio page somewhere. If you leave it at +4db it will be too hot.

You bet. Also -- make sure that at the output stage you are set to -10 and not +4db. It's on the audio page somewhere. If you leave it at +4db it will be too hot.

I need to go back and check that setting. Thanks again! My presets are all sounding better now - fuller, clear and no clipping. :)

Also -- make sure that at the output stage you are set to -10 and not +4db. It's on the audio page somewhere. If you leave it at +4db it will be too hot.
According to AX8 manual, -10 dbV option should be set when connecting to consumer-grade equipment. When connecting to professional line-level inputs output level should be set to +4 dbU.

Now I have some doubts, which option should I set when connecting AX8 to my M-Audio ProFire 2626? :confused: So far, I considered it professional-grade audio interface and, in my experience, +4 dbU output level worked fine with its inputs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom