AustinBuddy Video: How to Properly Set Preset Levels

@austinbuddy
I was running out of time after reading your suggestion for -10 dbU prior to needing to use it live. I had to go with what I had - Going to a A&H GLD type mixer for our foh and the sound I had at +4 dbU was stellar. I set these levels using reaper and a rme interface prior to live use. I’ll sit down this week and give -10 dbU a try as you suggested.

Need to say it again - thank you! Peace of mind and consistent real sounding amp levels all through the performance. Several folks mentioned that my sound just keeps getting better - well your method was my only major change. :)

According to AX8 manual, -10 dbV option should be set when connecting to consumer-grade equipment. When connecting to professional line-level inputs output level should be set to +4 dbU.

Now I have some doubts, which option should I set when connecting AX8 to my M-Audio ProFire 2626? :confused: So far, I considered it professional-grade audio interface and, in my experience, +4 dbU output level worked fine with its inputs.

@austinbuddy
I was running out of time after reading your suggestion for -10 dbU prior to needing to use it live. I had to go with what I had - Going to a A&H GLD type mixer for our foh and the sound I had at +4 dbU was stellar. I set these levels using reaper and a rme interface prior to live use. I’ll sit down this week and give -10 dbU a try as you suggested.

Need to say it again - thank you! Peace of mind and consistent real sounding amp levels all through the performance. Several folks mentioned that my sound just keeps getting better - well your method was my only major change. :)
Glad it is working for you. If the equipment can handle it +4db is fine, although you may not be able to dime the Output1 to full with some boards. My job is to give you guys the concepts and tools to get the sound right for you, whatever your equipment. Play on!!!

According to AX8 manual, -10 dbV option should be set when connecting to consumer-grade equipment. When connecting to professional line-level inputs output level should be set to +4 dbU.

Now I have some doubts, which option should I set when connecting AX8 to my M-Audio ProFire 2626? :confused: So far, I considered it professional-grade audio interface and, in my experience, +4 dbU output level worked fine with its inputs.
If it works for you, great! I use UAudio equipment which is definately “pro-grade” but -10 db works much better for me on that using the SPDIF - +4db can hit zero and distort. Have noticed with Focusrite preamp users they have same issue; switching to -10db fixes it. No tone effect from that switch. Thanks for sharing!

in my experience at the gig, -10 vs +4 isn't a drastic change. i can manage with either setting.

of course there is a "more correct" way to set anything, but i think some people are getting a little worried that one of the settings will sound horribly wrong. usually it won't, so this isn't a life or death setting haha. but yes, setting it correctly will be better of course.

Also ... would be remiss if I did not point out there are several pre-existing (and more in-depth) videos by our very own forum moderator Chris that covers various concepts that I also covered in my all-in-one video:

Also one on preset leveling from the amazing Scott Peterson:

Always give due to those who walked before you on the path!

I'm confused Austin. You recommend -12db and Katsukurimedia is suggesting leveling to zero? You also point out his video as more in depth. So which is it? -12db or zero db? Thanks for sharing and was just perplexed by this.

I am using the built in meter on the Axe Fx II and just read that that is set so zero is -20db of room. You are using your DAW to get meters. I'm confused.....guidance please!

I'm confused Austin. You recommend -12db and Katsukurimedia is suggesting leveling to zero? You also point out his video as more in depth. So which is it? -12db or zero db? Thanks for sharing and was just perplexed by this.

I am using the built in meter on the Axe Fx II and just read that that is set so zero is -20db of room. You are using your DAW to get meters. I'm confused.....guidance please!
The '0' line on the internal horizontal VU meter is the same as -12dB in a DAW.

0 line on horizontal VU meter = -17 dBFS
I stand corrected.... Again....lol;)

I just use the internal VU meter and get the rhythm scenes to be around the '0' line. Then do a final adjustment at gig volume, referencing between other (pre-tested) leveled presets.

But I have noticed that when I am recording some audio for a demo, my presets seem to be at around -12dB in my DAW.

Last edited:
The '0' line on the internal horizontal VU meter is the same as -12dB in a DAW.

As the previous posters said, that VU line 2/3 to the right on the VU acreen is not “zero” db — it actually is less, by design. An Ax8 direct signal that stays on that VU line in terms level and that also comes out the Ax8 S/PDIF with the Out1 (main) knob at max simultaneously will hit a DAW at roughly -12db on a DAW meter (with no added plugins or gain in the DAW).

Now, I see you are using an Axe FX II. It is different than the Ax8 design in that the output level of your S/PDIF is NOT affected by the front Output knobs on an Axe-Fx. The VU metets work the same.

So if you set your presets levels (like amp level) to hit that internal VU line on average, the your Digital signal internally (and what S/PDIF sends out) will roughly be -12db going into a DAW.

If you are using XLR outputs into a DAW, then do two things:

1. Set the front output knob at noon or 11:30,

AND

2. In the global I/O main menu, under the Audio page submenu, set output 1 to -10db instead of + 4db.

Actually I have to correct that -17 dBFS statement. The horizontal meter depends on spectral content. A sine wave (any one frequency) on the line will be -17 dBFS but more complex sounds will be higher.

And if you really want to get crazy... inputting a pure sine wave at 1kHz or so will show a lower level reading than your guitar into a amp/cab model. Bass content and transients spike the signal level.

Hi @austinbuddy,
I could not find any specific info about what should the max output level be "after" solo boost. So if I do everything as you suggested keeping my max preset volume on the -12 dB treshold using the VU meter of Ax8, adding a 3-4 dB boost after this gain staging would cross the dangerous borderline. So do you suggest that max volume "after" boosting should be on that line and the normal preset volumes without boosting should remain 34 dB lower than this line?

Dangerous?
I may have used a wrong description. However what I understand from @austinbuddy ’s video, it would be wise to remain on that 0dB threshold on VU meter (which gives a -12dB on DAW). If I add 3-4 dB boost over it, it would leave a lower headroom if I am not mistaken. On some resonating notes or heavy muted picks, that volume might be peaking. So I wanted to learn how do Ax8 users generally level their presets on max boosted level. I would appreciate Austin’s comment as well.

I may have used a wrong description. However what I understand from @austinbuddy ’s video, it would be wise to remain on that 0dB threshold on VU meter (which gives a -12dB on DAW). If I add 3-4 dB boost over it, it would leave a lower headroom if I am not mistaken. On some resonating notes or heavy muted picks, that volume might be peaking. So I wanted to learn how do Ax8 users generally level their presets on max boosted level. I would appreciate Austin’s comment as well.
That’s what a boost does though. If you’re at -12 for your average level, a boost by definition has to be louder. If you increase it by 4 dB, now you’re at -8 which is a good amount of headroom still since that’s your absolute loudest.

Also... some amps are trickier than others to set levels on. For example, take a metal amp with loads of bass and distortion frequency content, it will initially WHOMP that VU level above the line, but if you play an A chord and hold it, after a few seconds it will settle down and retreat on the VU meter -- you want THAT to be right at the VU meter line on the hardware, not the initial hit...you have to use BOTH eyes and ears at the same time to get optimal LEVEL set...

Thank you for your quick responses. Then I leave my setups as they are having the normal level on VU meter line and boosting 4 dB over it. 🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom