AustinBuddy Tips: Setting up your AX8 in Mono, and AX8 Gain-Staging Document

I have only had the AX8 for a couple of weeks and I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer in the manual. The manual gives the procedure for changing the output level. but it doesn't say how to change the actual parameter. Setup - footswitch 2 - turn nav knob to highlight out 1 and then it says change parameter but it doesn't say how. What knob/button/switch makes the change?

I have only had the AX8 for a couple of weeks and I'm sure this sounds like a stupid question but I couldn't find the answer in the manual. The manual gives the procedure for changing the output level. but it doesn't say how to change the actual parameter. Setup - footswitch 2 - turn nav knob to highlight out 1 and then it says change parameter but it doesn't say how. What knob/button/switch makes the change?
A knob changes, E knob navigates. All menus work that way so it was probably mentioned earlier in basics or something.

Thanks Chris, that was driving me crazy. The only place I saw it mentioned was on page 5 under setting input levels, which I didn't look at. I used the AX8 at a gig for the first time Friday night and it sounded okay but not great. I'm running direct into our PA QSC touchmix 16; K12.2 and KW 181 for mains and k12 for my monitor. Anything higher than about 11 o-clock on out 1 and the input was clipping. Do you generally run a flat eq on the pa?

Thanks Chris, that was driving me crazy. The only place I saw it mentioned was on page 5 under setting input levels, which I didn't look at. I used the AX8 at a gig for the first time Friday night and it sounded okay but not great. I'm running direct into our PA QSC touchmix 16; K12.2 and KW 181 for mains and k12 for my monitor. Anything higher than about 11 o-clock on out 1 and the input was clipping. Do you generally run a flat eq on the pa?
Where was your channel gain set on the touchmix? Why did you need to turn the AX8 up past 11 o clock?

It is not recommended by Fractal Audio to turn it all the way up. If so, there wouldn’t be a volume knob. This comes up multiple times weekly. The information provided by other forum members can be confusing if their approach isn't understood fully.

We’re discussing your setup in 2 threads now. Shall we stick to the other one?

Last edited:
The manual refers to it as the "E/NAV" knob and is labelled "NAV" below it on the AX8.

You can run the AX8 set to nominal +4db (default) on the GLOBAL >I/O > AUDIO page, and the Out1 (main) physical knob at just slightly noon (11:30+). That will produce an "AVERAGE" or rough -12db signal into an external digital style mixer with factory presets or AustinBuddy Tonepack presets.

If you do, the AX8's SPDIF signal (internal digital) also apparently compensates -- so it is still useful and level if using the S/PDIF output.

You get the equivalent effect of output signal on external meters if you set the AX to -10db and then max the Out 1 (Main) Knob, which is what I do, as I am also using a S/PDIF into an Universal Audio Apollo. If I'm recording, i use this method. If I am playing live, I go back to +4 and then set Output so it does not clip my Atomic CLR input.

Back
Top Bottom