AustinBuddy presets and FW10 - any common changes to be done?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi @austinbuddy
Hope you’re doing well.
Now that we have fw10, and the most recent of your updates were tweaked for fw5.0, I was just wondering if there’s any parameters that may need to be tweaked in your preset pack?
if you’ve worked out anything that could be changed in all presets to make them better in fw10, could you please let me know as I’d like to give them a little attention (if it’s warranted).
thanks
pauly

We all need to wait for FW 10 (and maybe 11). The existing presets I've checked so far sound fine - better even -- like the mids better. Still checking though, finally finished up the 200+ Ax8 Bass TonePack tonight, which took up most of my bandwidth.

But an update is due for a firmware either 10 or beyond that, I just don't want to update 1400 scenes, and then Cliff puts out a new firmware a week later that makes all that work and time moot for not just me, but you too.

Waiting to see if the firmware updates -- he's been doing an average of 1 a month for the last few months! -- settles down.

We all need to wait for FW 10 (and maybe 11). The existing presets I've checked so far sound fine - better even -- like the mids better. Still checking though, finally finished up the 200+ Ax8 Bass TonePack tonight, which took up most of my bandwidth.

But an update is due for a firmware either 10 or beyond that, I just don't want to update 1400 scenes, and then Cliff puts out a new firmware a week later that makes all that work and time moot for not just me, but you too.

Waiting to see if the firmware updates -- he's been doing an average of 1 a month for the last few months! -- settles down.

man , I think he has done one a week for the past month:)

Hi and thanks for the reply,

yes I agree and understand the effort that you must put into updating them all. To my ears they still sound great - better in fw10 than ever. I was just really touching base to see if youd found something that was behaving incorrectly, or could be better now that we could do a batch update on.
cool - I’ll keep playing until the next update ;-)
thanks again for the good work.
pauly

They still sound great to my ears.
Yes, that is what I do with purchased presets. If they are not tracking FW updates, I just load them myself, if they sound good (which they do more often than not), I use 'em; if they need adjustment, I adjust them. :D I rarely use a bought preset exactly as the vendor dialed it. Gotta tweak it, add/subtract stuff and generally make it your own. IMHO. I'm buying a great starting point and good examples on how to dial certain things, in my mind.

Under 10.02, I ran through a bunch of the Class A/No Negative feedback amps (most located at the start bank 2, except Vox), working off Cliff's list from fw9 notes. They all sounded pretty bitchin' to me, nothing stood out as really off. I do hear a bit more bottom so you can always go to Cab Back and raise the Lo Cut higher from 100Hz to 125Hz or even 150 if it's really boomy on your playback system. I'll take care i=fo that in a future update but another easier way if you find it across many is just go to Global Out EQ and dip the -63hz down and maybe a touch of the next slider...

These all still sound great to my ears.

The only thing I've started doing is to increase the CF Compression from between 0 to around 30% for cleans and for higher gain to around 50%-80%. All my higher gain presets have the gain enhancer at around 0.25 ...

You know what I'm finding that works really well moving from firmware 5-6 to firmware 11?

Just reduce Speaker Comp. If the default is 1.0 in 5 or 6 in your preset, lower it in firmware 11, it opens it up a little more.

So, here is a little more info, I did post this already in the main 1400 Naked Amps thread too

(from thread 12/1/2019)
So, today I got to really do some A/B comparison between firmware 6.04 Naked Amps presets and the 6.04 Naked Amps presets running now under 1.11, that use the speaker impedance curve option. I have two Axe-Fx IIIs with one loaded with 6.04 and the other 11.1 with an A/B switch, so I can do apples to apples base don the originally dialed in sound.

I tried about a dozen amp types, from cleans to low gain to rhythm to hi gain etc. What I found is as follows...

There are subtle but noticeable differences between the new firmware and the 6.04 version (but so far, not dramatic for the most part) for most presets.

Oddly, it is not all one-directional in terms of change. For some presets I preferred 6.04 as is over the same preset under 11.1 (without tweaking), but it really was amp dependent. A few others I preferred 11.1 firmware on the 6.40 presets (the Wrecker is definitely feeling even better!).

In probably most cases of the dozen or so amps I auditioned/sampled today (and not representative of all amps -- so this could change as I dig in!), I noticed these trends:
  • In comparing to 6.04 firmware version of same preset, most 11.1 amps under 6.04 presets sounded more compressed (but not all). It sounded more like 6.04 preset/more direct when I turned the Speaker Comp off in the 11.1 version. I may resort to that in some preset cases for updates. I used this a lot for Dream Rigs on Axe-Fx II/AX8 and it makes the sound more direct and a little crisper under your fingers.
  • Many (but not all) firmware 11.1 preset amps sounded like they had a touch more gain... or maybe that was just the compression effect...
  • Found I had to reset Hi-Cut on the Class A amps down about "2" -- so if I had it one "5" in 6.04, i would set it at "3" in 11.1. Cliff had noted in release notes he had re-done the amp Hi-Cut range of values, so that makes sense.
  • Some presets levels tested identical on signal meters in loudness, but a few in 11.1 were a tad less loud (more compressed again?) than 6.04 and yet a few were a tad louder. So some touch-up re-leveling will be needed.
  • Finding a preset bass content varies, but not directionally - some 6.04 have more bass, and some 11.1 have more - no pattern/direction.

The bass thing may be because of the the new speaker impedance curves slotted in for each amp. These can make a noticeable difference in the tone. Just switch one out to hear it.

For example, on a Friedman preset the curve is set to Friedman 4x12. I had used a Greenback and V30 speaker for the original preset, but in 11.1 when I experimented with switching to other 4x12 curves, like to a Greenback 4x12 or Basketweave, it got too bassy. So know if you are going to use these and swap them around, they will have a significant effect on your final overall tonal EQ.

All that is to say that there is no easy update method to this TonePack (meaning, not all in one direction of adjustment). I'll have to go through all 1400 sounds and do the minor adjustments depending on what I hear for each.

Where I can I will keep it "like" the 6.04 preset sound -- but if it sounds better under 11.1 firmware, will adjust the sound/tone to my liking, so it may drift some from what you/we liked in 6.04 preset version. But the tonal and gain DNA will be the same, as the DNA is there under 11.1 that was in 6.04 - no big shifts on that detected.

So... this is gonna take multiple weeks to finish, but I think it can be done before Christmas (my goal) if not sooner (ha -- famous last words!). I will report on progress here weekly.

If ya'll like I can temporarily post an updated A Bank in downloads when that gets ready first, then later do the whole thing in update.

Just wanted you guys to know what's what. So some of the current original Naked Amp presets will sound a little off of what I might like under 11.1, and some will sound fine and perhaps/likely better.

The above tips can help you in the interim if you have a few of your go-to presets you really like and wanted to update ASAP for firmware 11.1, so look for those variables: turn off or lower Speaker Comp, maybe lower Gain a hair, reduce Hi Cut on Amps by value of "2", touch up LEVEL 1 db or so in either direction depending on meter signal. Adjust bass or raise (or lower) Lo Cut in Cab block, etc.

If you like, you can always globally turn OFF the new speaker impedance curve (ON HARDWARE SCREEN, GO TO: SETUP > GLOBAL SETTINGS> UPDATE PRE-11 PRESETS SPKR IMP UPON LOAD and set to NO, not YES (default) and it will revert to original curve dialed in on...but so you know, the forthcoming 11.1 firmware 1400 Naked Amp updated presets will have this set to ON.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend!

Back
Top Bottom