AustinBuddy possible Bass Presets for the Axe-Fx III - what do you want to see?

Hi AB,

I just played with it and found it to be a little fluffy for my liking (Yea - I know... fluffy... how the hell do I find that!)... You know how the Factory Ampeg preset sort of gets lost in the mix a little?... That. It's not a 'driving' Ampeg bass sound.

Not complaining!.. Thanks for sharing. Hope you see it this as constructive and not a knock.

Thansk
Pauly

Any feedback on the SV Bass preset above and on Axe-Change -- let me know either here or PM me. Thanks!

Hey Pauley, thanks, I am looking for any constructive feedback. When you say “fluffy” is the opposite of that “tight?” Like “flubby” versus tight? Which scene did you use (there are 8) so I know, or where they all like that?

Again, I appreciate the input. Looking for feedback on any bass players trying this out for a gig, jam, or a recording. Thanks!

Hi Again,

Hmm.. you're trying my memory now - I did try all scenes and if I remember correctly, one was not so Flubby :)-)) and the other 7 were. I'm not there atm so cannot check.
I was monitoring with Quested monitors down to 60hz, and JBL 2 X 15 Subs from 60hz down. It's a pretty well worked out monitoring setup so shouldn't be a problem there.

Thanks again!
Pauly

Hey Pauley, thanks, I am looking for any constructive feedback. When you say “fluffy” is the opposite of that “tight?” Like “flubby” versus tight? Which scene did you use (there are 8) so I know, or where they all like that?

Again, I appreciate the input. Looking for feedback on any bass players trying this out for a gig, jam, or a recording. Thanks!

Hello AustinBuddy;

Woo hoo! Here are my additions:
  1. Mick Karn
  2. Tony Levin
  3. Gary Willis
  4. Alain Caron
  5. Tony Franklin
  6. Mark King
  7. David Torn (Non bass player, but while I'm at it...)
  8. Trey Gunn
  9. Chris Squire
  10. Mike Rutherford Old Genesis
  11. Tim Miller (Again, non bass player)
  12. Lemmy
  13. Gene Simmons
  14. Victor Bailey (on Albums like Procession and Domino Theory)
  15. Mini Brute amplifier
  16. Trace Elliot amplifier
  17. Eden amplifier
  18. SWR amplifier
  19. Andrew Gouche
  20. Eberhard Weber
  21. Michael Manring
  22. Percy Jones
  23. Eddie Gomez
  24. Carles Benavente
  25. Pino Palladino
  26. John Scofield (Non bass player)
  27. Verdine White
  28. Prince
  29. Markus Reuter
  30. Glen Moore (Played with Oregon and Ralph Towner)
  31. Miroslav Vituous
  32. Stevie Wonder
  33. Nathan Lamar Watts (Stevie Wonder's bass player)
  34. 05Ric
  35. MXR Stereo Chorus
  36. Roland Phase II

I don’t really see the point in listing all your favorite players in a bass preset topic. Although you have a good taste I must say! You have to name a specific song from which you like the bass sound. Also to get these bass sounds more bass amps and cabs should be added otherwise lots of these tones are not possible in the first place. Also I think most existing bass amps and cabs in the Axe fx can be improved. Like the Ampeg vst or the Mesa 400 for example. Most bass cabs sound too dull and bass heavy to me, not clear and transparent enough. I use Tube Pre or FAS bass AMP with no cab for most bass presets

Last edited:
By the way, nice presets for bass! Loving the classics and learning some new ones. Messa gnarly is killer! Thanks again. Probably going to ditch the ampeg b25 in favor of your presets. Combined with my Matrix VB800 tube power amp , it’s all in there. Sweet!

So I'm going to get this project started....great pro bass player coming by my studio tomorrow tonight for dry run to see if we can get this going on.... His name is Scott Nelson, and he plays lots of styles very well and different bases... Scott will be on tour with Kenny Wayne Shepard this year, and he has played on the Experience Hendrix tours for years and also did an Americana album with Ryan Bingham. I got to know him from his killer work with a long-time Austin funk favorite band called "Barfield."

One issue is that the Atomic NEO CLRs I use are only rated down 70Hz or so... I'm going to have to do a tap and run into a Crown power amp and into a 4x10 or 1x15 as well in some patches I expect to make sure the full bottom end is there...

I'll keep you guys posted. We're going to do the basic meat and potatoes gig bass stuff first by genre (blues, funk, multiple kinds of rock, country, metal, fusion) then see if we can cover some of the more iconic or unique tones you guys have put in here...

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned the old classic Acoustic Bass amp with the folded horn?
I imagine the amp is fairly sterile, like a wire with gain (I don't know), but it had a distortion channel.
That folded horn might make an interesting IR.

Hi
A Sub would do the trick!
Thanks
Pauly

So I'm going to get this project started....great pro bass player coming by my studio tomorrow tonight for dry run to see if we can get this going on.

One issue is that the Atomic NEO CLRs I use are only rated down 70Hz or so... I'm going to have to do a tap and run into a Crown power amp and into a 4x10 or 1x15 as well in some patches I expect to make sure the full bottom end is there...

I'll keep you guys posted. We're going to do the basic meat and potatoes gig bass stuff first by genre (blues, funk, multiple kinds of rock, country, metal, fusion) then see if we can cover some of the more iconic or unique tones you guys have put in here...

Ok... I've got a great one: the bass tone in the Big Wreck song Ghosts off the album of the same name.

Fat and punchy! Reminds me a bit of Another One Bites the Dust.

Hey - FYI for 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack owners for the Axe-Fx III, I just posted an quickly updated ver 2.5 of the Axe-III Ampeg SVT-style preset on Axe-Change.

The new SV Bass model will clip your speakers with the old preset, so I re-set and re-leveled it.

If you are using the new public 2.05 software, please replace the existing SV Bass preset with the new one.

There will be a better one when I do the full 2.x Axe III TonePack update later for likely summer release.

Back
Top Bottom