AustinBuddy possible Bass Presets for the Axe-Fx - what do you want to see?

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey amigos:

Putting together a 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for Axe III. Like to expand some bass preset/rig options included in it.

If enough interest is shown and information given and enough variety of bass tones comes out of this thread, maybe will do a Bass Player TonePack for Axe8, Axe-Fx and Axe III too.

This thread can be an informal poll of what you bass players would like to see in those presets.

Name pedals, effects, bass players, amps and cabs, rig layouts, genres to include -- whatever you think.

Probably a live Rig(s) and a Studio recording chain preset too (combines DI + Amp). I personally just own a G&L that does the Fender P-Bass thing well and a Hofner Beatle bass, but want to make sure the Fender Jazz bass and modern active pickup basses get covered.

I'd like to create at least 5-10 Bass player "rigs" that can cover a lot musical genres -- and hope to solicit and get help from some great bass players who live in Austin to use their ears to help dial the final mile with me at my "Electric Buddyland" studio.

Let me know what you want to see in this? Thanks!

Probably not the names that'll pop up here a lot, but James Jamerson/Bob Babbett/Larry Graham laid down what I knew as bass playing. Funky in-the-pocket players. If you could include some of the good, clear top, tight bottom sort of sounds those guys used through the 60s and 70s I'd love it.

Here is a list my bass player is interested in:

Early Geezer Butler including War Pigs and NIB tones

Geddy Lee early and including 2112 through Moving Pictures

Ian Hill (Judas Priest) British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) Early through Powerslave

Darkglass pedals B7K and Alpha/Omega, Vintage Microtubes and Symmetry compressor
Ghost (Meliora) bass sound

Count me in - way in!

Would love to see something that sounds like a gk800rb pushing 8x10.

Looking forward to it!
Thanks
Pauly

Hey amigos:

Putting together a 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for Axe III. Like to expand some bass preset/rig options included in it.

If enough interest is shown and information given and enough variety of bass tones comes out of this thread, maybe will do a Bass Player TonePack for Axe8, Axe-Fx and Axe III too.

This thread can be an informal poll of what you bass players would like to see in those presets.

Name pedals, effects, bass players, amps and cabs, rig layouts, genres to include -- whatever you think.

Probably a live Rig(s) and a Studio recording chain preset too (combines DI + Amp). I personally just own a G&L that does the Fender P-Bass thing well and a Hofner Beatle bass, but want to make sure the Fender Jazz bass and modern active pickup basses get covered.

I'd like to create at least 5-10 Bass player "rigs" that can cover a lot musical genres -- and hope to solicit and get help from some great bass players who live in Austin to use their ears to help dial the final mile with me at my "Electric Buddyland" studio.

Let me know what you want to see in this? Thanks!
Co

Noel Redding. Or any 60's-70's Marshall'ish bass tone. JHE is my all-time favourite band, which is something I'm always hearing in my head when I'm trying to create a bass tone.

Anything "meat and potato" in different genres would be cool ... rock, metal, country, pop, etc.

Speciality tones (e.g., Rush) are always cool. But I would love like 3-4 variations in each genre.

Probably not the names that'll pop up here a lot, but James Jamerson/Bob Babbett/Larry Graham laid down what I knew as bass playing. Funky in-the-pocket players. If you could include some of the good, clear top, tight bottom sort of sounds those guys used through the 60s and 70s I'd love it.

I dig this stuff too. Jamerson used Heavy flatwounds that were DEAD and sounded awesome. I made some IRs from a Ampeg 1X15 cab like the one he used. Definitely on my list to try to achieve! If you have signature recordings in mind, let me know what those are "defintive" for you.

Here is a list my bass player is interested in:

Early Geezer Butler including War Pigs and NIB tones

Geddy Lee early and including 2112 through Moving Pictures

Ian Hill (Judas Priest) British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) Early through Powerslave

Darkglass pedals B7K and Alpha/Omega, Vintage Microtubes and Symmetry compressor
Ghost (Meliora) bass sound

This is helpful (although admittedly I am not familiar with all those players). Those are definitely all different tones (and basses). Didn't Geezer use Gibson basses? Let me know if there are specific tunes you like the bass on that are "definitive" for you.

Noel Redding. Or any 60's-70's Marshall'ish bass tone. JHE is my all-time favourite band, which is something I'm always hearing in my head when I'm trying to create a bass tone.

Oooh I like this idea....his live sound should be pretty easy to recreate, we have the amps and cabs!

Maybe a Hagstrom 8 string too (kidding!)

Anything "meat and potato" in different genres would be cool ... rock, metal, country, pop, etc.

Speciality tones (e.g., Rush) are always cool. But I would love like 3-4 variations in each genre.
Kinda where I was going, good call...Genre in general that suggest some of the defining players of those genres... Thanks!

I dig this stuff too. Jamerson used Heavy flatwounds that were DEAD and sounded awesome. I made some IRs from a Ampeg 1X15 cab like the one he used. Definitely on my list to try to achieve! If you have signature recordings in mind, let me know what those are "defintive" for you.
Jamerson’s tone was definitely in those flat wounds, and his playing on My Girl against Robert White’s hollowbody tone was iconic. Also, his playing on other Motown bands like the Jackson 5 and Marvin Gaye really carried the feel. Bob Babbett’s playing on Papa Was a Rolling Stone and Signed, Sealed, Delivered stands out. Larry Graham caught my attention back in the Sly and the Family Stone days. Thank You (Falletin Me Be Mice Elf Agin) is a great example of some great early funk playing, with his thump/pop playing that became a bass standard... like EVHs tapping for guitarists.

I appreciate your interest. This music is foundational to me!

Would be awesome to have some bass presets indeed. I like bass tones that break up a little but are still dynamic, and also a bit more mid forward than lots of the metal type presets I find on axe change for instance.

Before the axe fx I used a Tech 21 VT Bass and a solidgoldfx Beta drive for most of my base tones.

I have a bit of a hard time dialing in tones with the stock cabs, they seem pretty boomy to me. I’ll keep tweaking but am curious of what you’ll come up with. I’d buy a bass pack in a heartbeat for sure.

Back
Top Bottom