AustinBuddy possible Bass Presets for the Axe-Fx III - what do you want to see?

GK tones for sure. I really wish Fractal would add an RB.

Peter Hook, Flea, Eric Avery please.

Super Bassman as well, both channels!

Last edited:
BASS PRESET.

So here is a basic Bruce Bauer- style Bass preset for recording I whipped up; learned this approach from LA producer Bobby Oswinski (who is awesome BTW)

The principle here is a a DI signal and an amp signal, but each Compressed and EQ's slightly differently, then blended (using Mixer block/scenes).

On a console/in a DAW, this would be the same as having both signals from one bass coming in one two channels, then blending at the board with the faders to get the bass to sit right in the mix. The Amp sound is the bottom end, the DI adds the top end.

I simulated a Neve preamp on the DI by using a neutral cab but engaging the mic preamp.

Feedback is welcome, especially from bass players. I don't think it's perfect (yet) and I think the compression needs works (usually on amy Apollo I'd have an LA-2A emulation on the Amp signal and a dbx 160 emulation on the DI signal, and maybe an SSL buss compressor.
Thanks for sharing this. I just picked up my first bass guitar just to mess around and have fir home recording. Can’t wait to try this out.

Austinbuddy,

I'm a bass player and my Axe Fx III shipped today. I'll take a look at the preset and give feedback as soon as I can. This will be my first Fractal foray...

I have to say I'm taking the plunge despite the fact that there doesn't appear to be as many amp models as I would have liked. There are a bunch of obvious gaps compared to the amazing coverage that the guitarists enjoy. That said, an enormous amount of my playing needs will probably be met with something like an SVT model or a clean solid state model with decent cab simulation. I have used some of the multiband compression and EQ techniques mentioned in this thread to great effect in the past, so I know the impact that kind of routing can impart.

I am also going to explore the Royal Blood-style pitch shifting and guitar amp treatment, as I have with a traditional pedalboard setup. I'm excited about the possibility of doing some very creative routing and effects in the digital domain.

Austinbuddy,

Got the Axe Fx III yesterday and had a great first evening with it. Even with a lot of the research I've done ahead of time, there's quite a bit of work required to organize and find all the bass-related amps/cabs/etc.

I loaded your preset and had a play last night-- the DI+Amp setting was nice. I may fire up the video recording and mic later today and give you a tour of your own preset and my bass tone through it... with my thoughts and commentary.

Thanks for the contribution, looking forward to more!

Ampeg B15 James Jamerson
Ampeg B25
Ampeg SVT full cab 8x10 old cab using solid wood cabinetry. Pre 1970 I think.

MXR has a pretty good selection of effects specific to lower bass freq.

Best b15 years were ‘64 and ‘66. Many variants on his amp, get the real deal if you can!

You may not understand the thread or the capabilities of the Axe Fx...

Buddy is talking about creating presets. He can't add amps or effects that don't exist in the unit.

Oh, ok. I thought he was building a cab pack and taking IR’s. Sorry. Still a good resource to model.
You mentioned MXR effects and specific bass amps, too... Which IRs don't address.

You might consider creating a wish list item for specific bass amps and effects. You never know, it might get added...

Hi, I did do a few basic and good, solid bass presets in the Axe III Naked Amps Tone Pack.

I haven't gotten to the above to work on yet, and will probably work with a local pro bass player to produce a nice Bass Preset TonePack that will work across all Fractal Audio platforms, hopefully by the Fall, and will take all of the above suggestions into consideration and see what we can do to make them reality.

Here is a screen shot of the Ampeg SVT bass amp preset's 8 scenes I did in the Axe III, for flavor:

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 9.52.04 PM.png

B15 tube set
3 6SL7 preamp tubes
1 5u4 rectifier
1 6l6
1x15 eminence
40 Watts

SVT has
6 6550 power tubes
5 12ax7
3 12au7
Usually run 8x10 cabs