AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

I'm going to take a chance on these. I have a few questions. With 700 presets, how do you audition the all? DO I have to load all 700 to try them or some other way? Secondly, i'm on version 9, reading through these posts it looks like I should upgrade to 9.02 which Cliff said is the same as 8.02 which is what the presets were made on, correct?
Fractool does the audition thing very well, can even be set to auto scroll IIRC.

Spent some time auditioning a lot of the presets, definitely some great ones in the pack. One question I have is the volumes seemed all of the place.I turned my output level to 50%, some patches seemed very quiet while others seemed really loud. Is this normal? Do I just need to mess with level's or did I do something wrong?
The levels depend on what guitar you're playing. The classic presets, for instance, give me very even volume when I use a guitar with moderately hot humbuckers (they were dialed in with humbuckers). But those same presets vary as much as 8 dB when I use my Tele, because the Tele doesn't hit them as hard.

Interesting,I was using a Gibson Les Paul Custom so I would’ve thought everything would’ve been pretty hot.
There's Les Paul Customs with low-output pickups, and then there's Les Paul Customs with high-output pickups. ;)

The Naked pack were tweaked by @austinbuddy on a Zappa Roxy SG, which has not overly hot humbuckers with lotsa interesting phase switching options...to me they are balanced very well...but of course you can do what u will with em...

Hi to everyone! May be I missed it, but how I can convert XL+ preset which uses for example 145 factory cab to Mark format? I thought that export as bundle and converting it by FracTool is the decision, but not. As a result I have no cab in the scratch on Mark.

Factory cabs are not "exportable"...

In the FW for pre-XL Axe Fx there is a set of "bonus" IRs, which include some of the ones added for XL and beyond. Check there to see if the one you want is there and add it as a User IR.

Hi to everyone! May be I missed it, but how I can convert XL+ preset which uses for example 145 factory cab to Mark format? I thought that export as bundle and converting it by FracTool is the decision, but not. As a result I have no cab in the scratch on Mark.
This canbe better addressed in the Fractool thread ...but I think you should skip the bundle export step, just drag/drop the xl preset onto the Mark screen in fractool ,and see what you get...if the cab does not match,just scroll to proper factory cab and save .....or do what @unix-guy said

Also make sure that you are using the latest FracTool...I believe that some cabissues were addressed today...

Also make sure that you are using the latest FracTool...I believe that some cabissues were addressed today...
This canbe better addressed in the Fractool thread ...but I think you should skip the bundle export step, just drag/drop the xl preset onto the Mark screen in fractool ,and see what you get...if the cab does not match,just scroll to proper factory cab and save .....or do what @unix-guy said

Here's a video I found from AX8 Facebook group, some great playing and tone by Rick Webster using a Robben Ford Dumble-style preset in the 700+ Naked Amp TonePack.

Here's what Rick posted: "Testing out my new Robben Ford patch on my Fractal Audio AX8! What a patch! Thanks AustinBuddy! Brought out all my favourite Robben Ford Music licks over my own tune 'Grapevine Stories'."

This is the stuff that really makes my day: players playing inspired by the TonePack sounds!

Last edited:
Special thanks to Axe-Master Al Grenadine, creator of FracTool. The latest edition is great! Support FracTool.

Over the last 48 hours I was able to do some EXTENSIVE testing of firmware effects between 8.02 and 9.02 on both the AX8 and my XL related to the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack.

1. As I've said before, you don't need to do any amp resets if you have the 8.02 Tonepack and update to firmware 9.02. Those of you who bought it already know this mostly.

2. The presets designed for 8.02 will work on 9.02 "as is."

Past few days, I experimented a LOT with the new SPKR COMP in the amp block in 9.02 and the effect it had on naked amp presets designed in 8.02 from the TonePack.

My conclusion: If you like dynamics and a more "in your face" articulate sound, consider avoiding the SPKR COMP altogether in 9.02 (or just stay on 8.02).

If under 9.02, you can use the latest version Fractool to set SPKR COMP to zero across a range of presets and see what I mean/what you like better.

The SPKR COMP, while true to life, in my opinion will "soften" (compress) the sound, and take off some of the top end. Some people will like this, others don't. You can do make up gain to try to compensate for level change, but this effect on overall tone is what compressors do as intended. It is true to amp=speaker interaction in real life (as Cliff intended).

For a few days, I tried multiple values of the SPKR COMP across multiple amp types, first with Cliff's default of 3.0, then 2, then 1.5, and ultimately after going back and forth A/Bing, I finally decided like SPKR COMP OFF myself.

This is likely personal taste -- I like amps that respond to dynamics and I liked the top end piece better before it became a little muted when the SPKR COMP was on. Others may love the sound of SPKR COMP On. You can dial it in to your own taste!

I still plan to work on offering an updated firmware version, but I will leave SPKR COMP OFF on it...will let you guys know when ready.

Hope everyone is having nice holidays!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom