Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Hi guys:

Now that The 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack firmware v5 update for the Axe III is done, I hope to get to the Dream Rigs ARES 1.03 update for the XL, XL+ and Mark II over the next few weeks. In fact I've started it.

Noticed a few things under ARES 1.03...

1. First, make sure your Out1 knob is at the max if going into a DAW or digital console.

2. Now, I don't have any explanation for this, but I am noticing on my XL that the S/PDIF out signal for a preset, compared to the XLR out signal for the same exact preset, is about 1.6db hotter on my digital console (UAudio).

3. Unlike the Axe-Fx III or the AX8, there is no +4db or -10db pad software switch on the hardware

4. I usually level presets to the S/PDIF signal level on my digital console, but in this case I'm going to put a -1.6db transparent pad on the incoming S/PDIF signal and instead will level all the Dream Rigs presets to the XLR output signal level (leveled to an average -12db under the new firmware), because most of you use that for live gigs.

5. I'm going to play with the Speaker Compression a bit. I usually leave it off for live gigs, but ARES uses it. I may use none or a little bit, maybe not as much as the default value (and it does affect the overall output volume).

It will take time to check everything out, but I do hope have it done before end of summer (if not sooner).

When done, this will be probably be the last free update for the XL/XL+ and Mark II 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack
, since it is highly unlikely Cliff is going to further update the firmwares for these units. Not to worry, these units still sound great!

If you have found any errors in the current version, please let me know here or my email (on my website) so I can address them in the update to come.

Last, I do eventually plan to do an Dream Rigs Effects Block Library tool -- first on Axe-Fx III, then for the Ax8, then comes the Axe-Fx -- for release later this year or maybe in 2020 -- so know that future products are in the making for the Axe-Fx too!

Thanks everyone!
Were I made the new setup I buy with the Firmware Q10?
Thanks a lot AustinBuddy to help that last firmware.

Hi guys:

Now that The 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack firmware v5 update for the Axe III is done, I hope to get to the Dream Rigs ARES 1.03 update for the XL, XL+ and Mark II over the next few weeks. In fact I've started it.

1. First, make sure your Out1 knob is at the max if going into a DAW or digital console.

2. Now, I don't have any explanation for this, but I am noticing on my XL that the S/PDIF out signal for a preset, compared to the XLR out signal for the same exact preset, is about 1.6db hotter on my digital console (UAudio).

3. Unlike the Axe-Fx III or the AX8, there is no +4db or -10db pad software switch on the hardware

4. I usually level presets to the S/PDIF signal level on my digital console, but in this case I'm going to put a -1.6db transparent pad on the incoming S/PDIF signal and instead will level all the Dream Rigs presets to the XLR output signal level (leveled to an average -12db under the new firmware), because most of you use that for live gigs.

5. I'm going to play with the Speaker Compression a bit. I usually leave it off for live gigs, but ARES uses it. I may use none or a little bit, maybe not as much as the default value (and it does affect the overall output volume).

It will take time to check everything out, but I do hope have it done before end of summer (if not sooner).

When done, this will be probably be the last free update for the XL/XL+ and Mark II 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack
, since it is highly unlikely Cliff is going to further update the firmwares for these units. Not to worry, these units still sound great!

If you have found any errors in the current version, please let me know here or my email (on my website) so I can address them in the update to come.

Last, I do eventually plan to do an Dream Rigs Effects Block Library tool -- first on Axe-Fx III, then for the Ax8, then comes the Axe-Fx -- for release later this year or maybe in 2020 -- so know that future products are in the making for the Axe-Fx too!

Thanks everyone!

Great news Buddy. :cool:

Hi guys:

Thanks everyone!

Such great news!

Thank you Austin Buddy!!

Hi buddy,

I’m leaning towards buying the dream rigs pack over the naked tones pack.
Even though there is a large number of presets in the dreamrigs pack, I’ve been trying but can’t seem to find 2 many demo’s of the sounds here though ?
Your 5 videos r educational & helpful, but only touch on some of the sounds.
Is there anywhere you can point me in the right direction so I can see / hear abit more of the sounds here ?

Appreciate the request. I just don't have time to do video demos of each product myself - I'd rather spend the precious time doing tutorials on how to use the product. Cliff keeps updating firmwares and I have to go back and update hundreds and hundreds of presets constantly....not complaining, that's just how it works!

I'm lucky that people like Cooper Carter and Leon Todd and Brett Kingman do nice reviews of them.

Basically, while it is an Axe-Fx III Naked Amps and not an AX8 Dreams Rigs demo, Cooper Carter does justice to the kinds of tones that I produce here, you'd find similar sounds in Dream Rigs. Hope that helps!

@austinbuddy just bought the Dream Rigs for my Ax8. Working through the various presets and finding a lot of great tones. Thanks for the excellent presets but also for the manual and videos. They are very helpful.

Interested to hear how gigging guitarists set up their footswitches for these presets? I currently use 4 scenes per preset running from clean, mid gain, rhythm, lead, with the lead up 3 dB or so.

These presets don't use scenes so do you to change presets to add gain? Is the lead preset the same volume as the others? Do you need to also step on a boost?

I bought the dream rig pack last night and ran through most of the toned - they sound great but I did notice a far bit of volume variation (on the VU meter up to 6 dB variation) going from the clean to the hi gain for each amp - is this normal? I thought they would all be at the same level.

I bought the dream rig pack last night and ran through most of the toned - they sound great but I did notice a far bit of volume variation (on the VU meter up to 6 dB variation) going from the clean to the hi gain for each amp - is this normal? I thought they would all be at the same level.

So - I could use more info. What firmware are you running?

There are some leveling things to know.

• There can be a Fletcher-Munson effect. We hear the richer more gain things as louder but on a VU meter they may read the same as lower gain.
  • These presets were leveled on medium humbucker pickups - Roxy Zappa Gibson SG.
  • The lead presets on some modern amps are leveled a tad higher than other lower gains of those amps if you use low E or D as reference to level (chugs), because the lead presets are leveled to -12db for playing single notes in the upper strings; if you chug on those down low, it will be loud and may go over -12db. But if I had leveled lead presets to the chug at -12db, then the upper register strings when played will come in under -12db and sound weak in comparison. So there is a trade off.
  • Onstage, cleans and low gains are usually more of a mix level with band, and rhythm and leads are a tad louder.
  • If you play an A chord on a heavy bass metal amp, the average VU will spike over -12db initially with all the bass and harmonic content, BUT if you hold the chord on my leveled high-gain amp presets and let it sustain for a few seconds you will notice it then "settles" to the VU line right around -12db (unless you have extra hot pickups, it might be higher). That to me is the "true" overall level. If you dial it back not to spike, then the preset sounds anemic and not loud enough.
-Some amps - -the Tweed Princeton, the Shiva Clean are good examples, are quite sensitive to signals input and not easy to do a consistent level as for those the level all depends on how hard you hit it!
- The presets were designed for Quantum 10.01. Some people have said some of the cleans are reduce din volume slightly under ARES firmware. Plus, if you are using single coils and the preset is designed for humbuckers, you need to use the "kicker' coil to boost the input to the amp.

So there is some information for you, without knowing more about your specific situation...maybe some of that will help?

Thanks for the reply Buddy,

I'm running Quantum 10.01. I'm using a PRS Mira Core with humbuckers (medium 8.4/9.2 K). I'm running at bedroom levels so maybe the Flether- Munson has some effect.

I use the coil tap and the kicker coil switch works well to get the level back to the hum bucker level, but there's quite a difference from say clean to crunch (3rd preset in amp series)

Bedroom listening levels is likely part of it. If you put the outputs into a DAW like LOGIC and look at the meters for incoming signal (or check the Ax8 VU meters onboard on hardware), there may be some difference but it won't be 2-3db's worth across the four amp presets, except as I noted about lead patches (single notes versus chords) - for some modern amps the leads will be louder than the cleans by a degree.

You can easily adjust/fix anything you want to use for a gig -- don't touch the amp level, instead, just go into the Output block at end of signal chain and add a db or two there in scene 1 and save. I also highly advise you to try these at gig volume before you use at a gig -- you may notice the veils work better in that context when its' loud.

Thanks Buddy,

I've got the levels about right. Is there some way to convert each set of 4 presets (for one amp) into 4 scenes per amp? - that just seems to works better for me

Thanks Buddy,

I've got the levels about right. Is there some way to convert each set of 4 presets (for one amp) into 4 scenes per amp? - that just seems to works better for me
[/QUOTE
It's not that easy, because it's not just an adjustment to gain and level (or input trim!), but sometimes Bass/MiddleTreble/Presence or Bright cap too...

An Ax8 can only do Amp X/Y (unlike the Axe-FX III), so you could in theory collapse two Dream Rigs presets into one (using X/Y copy from amp and cab block in Ax8-Edit... but you'll still need two presets per amp (two scenes using Amp X and Y per preset) if you want all four amp sounds in two presets....

Thanks Buddy,

I can make it work by spreading the presets out to have the 4 for one amp in a bank, and use the bottom 4 foot switches to switch presets. The top four will change effects (I'll keep FS 5 for the kicker and FS 8 for the Amp X/Y). That should work for me. I don't really use the 12 dB boost it's too much of a volume increase

Cheers and thanks for your prompt replies.

Hey @austinbuddy ! I have your Naked amps and Dream Rigs for AX8 and love them. What are your plans for the soon to be released FM3? I assume the Naked Amps for Axe-Fx III will work as they are both on Ares.

Thanks!

Hey @austinbuddy ! I have your Naked amps and Dream Rigs for AX8 and love them. What are your plans for the soon to be released FM3? I assume the Naked Amps for Axe-Fx III will work as they are both on Ares.

Thanks!
After I get my hands on an FM3, I will do a Naked Amps for it.

Later I may do a FM3 Dream Rigs, but I promised to do a Dreams Rigs for AxeIII first... we will see, things can change...

Hey Austin Buddy, I wanted to check in after two months to see how the ETA was looking on the Ares update for the Axe Fx II Dream Rigs. I know we technically have a month left in summer. I am dusting off my Axe after a couple of year hiatus from it, need your pack to get up and running ASAP (haven't bought it yet, but was about to), and I am just trying to figure out my plan for upgrading while trying to get back to rocking quickly while minimizing any additional tweaking down the road.

Back
Top Bottom