Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack - Partial Update (Bank 1 Marshalls) for Cygnus X3 firmware update now available

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Look into Leon Todd YouTube channel and Austin Buddy Preset packs but the Stock presets are also amazing, I was digging the Atomica amp and the Hot Kitty preset, but there's also Orange amps, Dietzel amps JVM and Manny high gain ones to mess with
I got the Live Gold pack and they are all useable for live with FRFR Cab and more Importantly for me in the Box for recording

Look into Leon Todd YouTube channel and Austin Buddy Preset packs but the Stock presets are also amazing, I was digging the Atomica amp and the Hot Kitty preset, but there's also Orange amps, Dietzel amps JVM and Manny high gain ones to mess with
I got the Live Gold pack and they are all useable for live with FRFR Cab and more Importantly for me in the Box for recording
So is the gold pack worth the $100 compared to the stock presets?

Okay, this weekend I've started work on updating the Live Gold TonePack to Cygnus firmware, and will keep updating here as Cliff updates all the 270+ amp models over next few weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.

Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend you stay on firmware 15 and wait a few weeks for now. Wait until at least the Cygnus release is a FINAL PUBLIC release, and not a BETA, before you think about updating.

And as always, BACK UP EVERYTHING in FractalBot before undertaking any kind of firmware update, so you can always revert back to firmware 15. Remember, a preset that is saved on Cygnus firmware probably cannot be read by firmware 15 and will appear "blank". Backups are critical!

It will be many weeks until a complete TonePack update is ready. A few things to know are below, and I'll add more as I go to this...

Cygnus WILL change the sound of many of your presets. Mostly for the better (so far in my testing). The Plexi style amps all sound WAY better, but I haven't done many others yet. I'm focused on updating Bank 1 Marshall styles for now.

Cygnus can affect the gain and volume of existing presets. Meaning, the same gain setting on firmware 15 is NOT necessarily the same level of gain on Cygnus. You have to use your ears and not your eyes. Your old habits of "I like the Master at 4 on this amp" or "I like the Gain at 5 on this amp" may not sound the same now, you'll have to adjust.

Cygnus can change the tone (EQ content) of existing presets. In the Marshalls so far I'm hearing more bass after a re-set that I need to further cut, and so far with Marshalls I'm finding I want to push the amp's mids in Cygnus out a bit more (which firmware 15 did nicely).

Cygnus may change a sound you like in firmware 15 - and you won't be able to get it back. It's new firmware, and I can hear the difference when A/Bing my two Axe-III units on identical presets with "the same settings." I can dial one to be close to the other with some tweaks, but it's still not exactly the same for many amps. But don't worry, the amps mostly sound better and more realistic so far - and the Cygnus firmware FEEL better under your fingers.

Warning: The saturation drive (when engaged via CS5) now is WAY louder in many presets and I will have to dial those back down manually further in the next update. You have been warned!

If you do an amp reset on a LiveGold preset, know that you will lose any settings I may have made to:

-Output compression (for cleans),
-Input EQ (to cut/control bass),
-Amp GEQ (rarely, but sometimes),
-Variac (Van Halen stuff), and
-Saturation Drive (I custom set this a lot)
-Speaker Impedance Curve (I did custom choice, not default, for about 1 in 4 presets).

Resets will restore default amp settings also for your presence control and master volume and saturation drive value - you'll lose those on a soft amp reset.

So I'd make a note of those values in any amp scene before you do any resets.

But (thanks to @yek for reminding me of this) if you use the SETUP > GLOBAL SETTINGS > TONE CONTROL DISPLAY and that set to IDEAL instead of AUTHENTIC, the good news that then an amp reset should leave your preset's existing Gain/drive, Bass/Middle/Treble and Level controls exactly as they were, as well as any custom amp boost amount dialed in.

Overall, after making adjustments, I'm loving Cygnus so far and it's a big step up to the "live in a room" sound - very fat and full sounding.

Today I updated the LiveGold presets to these models to Cygnus in my working bank:

-6CA7 Plexi
-1959 SLP all models (Jimmy Page! I can hear it!),
-Brown Sound,

-1987x all models,
-JCM 800 all models,
- Brit Super Lead, (Black Sabbath! I can hear it!)

-JTM45 all models,
  • Dirty Shirley both models and
  • Friedman Small Box.

17 presets, 4 scenes each = 68 sounds. I run about 8 to 12 updated scenes per hour, depending on what needs to be fixed, if anything. So it's gonna take awhile to get all 1200+ LiveGold preset/scene sounds updated to Cygnus -- but will be worth your wait! Your patience is appreciated!

How is Beta 1 fairing with the Live Pack? Any major changes sound wise??
Not aware of any. Once the new Cygnus firmware hits the FM3 in the future "some day," that will require a TonePack update. Alreayd starting on the III version using it.

Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend you stay on firmware 15 and wait a few weeks for now. Wait until at least the Cygnus release is a FINAL PUBLIC release, and not a BETA, before you think about updating.

😂 Any lost soul still on FW15?

Thank you for your effort, Austin!

Yes they are.... all are equally leveled and its pretty much plug and play

stock presets are hit and miss

For me Yes, Really Liking what I have here now, The stocker presets were really fun and could make em sound good, but too many options and lots of work, I just dig grabbing a preset and Go, and that's what Live Gold does for me plus the sounds are Fricken FANTASTIC

So does every amp have a preset in this pack or just the most common amps?

Every amp channel modeled has a preset with four+/multiple scenes, except for the bass amps (have their own TonePack) and the Tube Pre. Three banks, over 300 presets, 1200+ different tones.
Nice! I think I read that you also had Mark from Periphery do the Metal amps/tones? And this pack just uses the stock IRs?

Play with the factory presets for a bit then jump to the AB Live Gold and you'll see what I'm talking about, worth a hundred just for the punchiness alone, not to mention all the scenes that come with all the presets

Play with the factory presets for a bit then jump to the AB Live Gold and you'll see what I'm talking about, worth a hundred just for the punchiness alone, not to mention all the scenes that come with all the presets
Are all the Cab IRs used stock ones or do you need to purchase cabs too?

I forget but I believe he sends the IR's in sequence according to presets and are the best suited Stock cabs per amp, watch his vid's I says it all and shows how to Install, pretty Dope.

Austinbuddy my apologies, if this has already been answered in an earlier thread.

Re: the live gold tone pack. If I install on both the FXIII and the FM3 will the tone will be “reasonably consistent” such that the FXIII could be used for live gigs, and the FM3 could be used for rehearsals and as a backup device. Would the tones be close or would it require a good amount of configuration/adjustments? I recognize there are architectural differences. I could live with less fidelity/less resolution, less resource intensive settings on the FM3 for rehearsal purposes in a more compact form factor.

Is it realistic, using these tone packs, to think I can write once and deploy on both platforms for “standard” (not complex) presets. Whereas, I would look to Moke and other specialized preset makers for their “idealized-song” presets for both platforms?

Today, I own a FXIII and an AX8 and quite happy with both. I am considering an FM3, but only if can create a consistent experience in a more portable form factor. Consistent in: UI, preset management, preset portability, and use of the FC-12. Is this available today or is this vision, roadmap, or pipe dream? Please advise. Thank you.

Anyone care to help me modify the AB OMG9 layout? I wish to replace the amp controls (hold) on switch 3 to More effects, second page of effects? I want six effects shown on each layout of the FC6. Hope that makes sense and thanks for any help! I can't seem to get it.

Austinbuddy my apologies, if this has already been answered in an earlier thread.

Re: the live gold tone pack. If I install on both the FXIII and the FM3 will the tone will be “reasonably consistent” such that the FXIII could be used for live gigs, and the FM3 could be used for rehearsals and as a backup device. Would the tones be close or would it require a good amount of configuration/adjustments? I recognize there are architectural differences. I could live with less fidelity/less resolution, less resource intensive settings on the FM3 for rehearsal purposes in a more compact form factor.
Sure you could do that and not notice much difference. No adjustments needed. The FM3 doesn't have Ultra Res Cabs and the CPU is much better on the III which lets you add more effects, but for "band practice purpose" the FM3 is a GREAT portable solution.

Is it realistic, using these tone packs, to think I can write once and deploy on both platforms for “standard” (not complex) presets. Whereas, I would look to Moke and other specialized preset makers for their “idealized-song” presets for both platforms?
Sure. This are "base" amp tones. Some will definitely evoke artist sounds.

I think Moke and Fremen and Edo and others do good song based preset work, and I have no interest in the "customized preset" business - I just don't have the time/bandwidth in my life to do that. I more interested in raw organic amp tones that inspire me to play, and then I add effects to my liking. Others are probably the same.

Today, I own a FXIII and an AX8 and quite happy with both. I am considering an FM3, but only if can create a consistent experience in a more portable form factor. Consistent in: UI, preset management, preset portability, and use of the FC-12. Is this available today or is this vision, roadmap, or pipe dream? Please advise. Thank you.
The LiveGold has identical presets for Axe-Fx III and FM3. You absolutely can do it and use am FC-12 with both units.

Back
Top Bottom