Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack - Partial Update (Bank 1 Marshalls) for Cygnus X3 firmware update now available

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
In the video above from about 33:00 to 36:30 Buddy explains how he set up the input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions to CS controllers on the FC.

Are all of the 5 amp functions (input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions) set to "off" in every scene and preset?

It seems you can't turn on the input boost, cut, fat, bright, or saturation functions from Axe Edit unless you remove the CS controller. If you want any of them engaged you have to do it from the FC.
Yes, that’s the behavior in Axe-Edit when there’s a modifier attached to a CS parameter - you can’t turn them on/off via the UI, just via the FC.

It seems you can't turn on the input boost, cut, fat, bright, or saturation functions from Axe Edit unless you remove the CS controller. If you want any of them engaged you have to do it from the FC.

That is correct. @CodePoet and @austinbuddy discuss that very thing in posts #6 - #8 above. You can disconnect the CS's if you prefer to set up your access and control to those parameters differently.

Are all of the 5 amp functions (input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions) set to "off" in every scene and preset?

The control switches mirror exactly what the control switches in the 1400+ Naked Amps presets did, except that I have added a CS6 for LO CUT in these.

They are defaulting to OFF in most cases. There are some exceptions.

For example, the bright switch defaults to whatever the amp's default brite is (on or off), and so that Control switch just reverses whatever that default is).

Probably worth walking through them here:

LIVEGOLD Amp Block Controllers:

CS2 = INPUT BOOST (defaults off). I use a neutral boost and the db varies by amp, and sometimes by scene. A few metal amps may use the grinder boost type instead of neutral.

Using the CS2 switch is essential to getting the most and best sounds from these presets. If you do not have an FC6 or FC12 you can change the CS2 assignment to a pedal or other switch to turn it off or on that way. I'll post steps on how to do that soon here.

CS3 = FAT Switch (defaults off, but some presets may have it on for a some scenes and off in others, if so, the CS3 disconnected)

CS4= Brite switch. Clicking it reverses it.

CS5 = Saturation switch. For most amps goes between OFF and IDEAL SATURATION. I have dialed in the amount of saturation (varies by amp). Think of this like alternate type of boost, one that "smears" the sound a little more than a normal boost. This sounds great on some amps, not so great on others, depending on the amp type.

CS6 = LO CUT (Bass Cut)

As you note, video at about the 33 minute mark covers all of this.

On an FC-12 the layout in layout page six looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.53.31 PM.png

Let me get a post together about how to de-link CS switches....

I'm not big on metal amp knowledge, so I hope to learn a lot here.

This new OMG9 layout you made is incredible, thank you for that!

Edit: This is really cool: a preset for each of the FAS amp models, which I can't believe are more prevalent in the factory presets.

Last edited:
I'm not big on metal amp knowledge, so I hope to learn a lot here.

This new OMG9 layout you made is incredible, thank you for that!

Edit: This is really cool: a preset for each of the FAS amp models, which I can't believe are more prevalent in the factory presets.

The FAS amps are as good as anything in here. Those Modern Amps (if you like that sort of thing), and Skull crusher, but also both the Leads. I'm found of the "Big Hair" and Super Tweed too!

Dumb question that could probably be answered searching, but here it goes. If I upload your FC12 setup, does that override the FC setup of any other presets of my own or other creators. Or can it be set on a preset basis.

Hi my Axe-Fx III amigos:

Wanted to share a few things you might want to consider when using the new Live Gold presets on your Axe-Fx III.

Where to set my Output knob for Level?

Instead of putting your Axe-Fx III's Output1 (or Output2) knob at 3:00 o'clock like I do, you might want to lower it to 2:00 or even 1:30 (or less).

It all depends on your playback system and what works for you.

I'm pointing this out because these presets were initially created and leveled a little hot on the FM3, with that Output1 maxed on my system (going to my CLR 10-12 feet away). When I A/B a preset on my Axe-Fx III versus the FM3's same preset, with both feeding the same CLR with identical input settings on that, I find that 2:00 o'clock works on my Axe-Fx III matches the FM3 signal level maxed when going in.

The presets/scenes were leveled on the FM3 to an "average" -12db, with peaks up to -9db on my UAudio console signal meter.

While most presets are leveled evenly, I do hear some differences in volumes across scenes/presets - why?

Usually most presets are leveled with a bridge humbucker...but sometimes a neck single coil if preset or scene begins with an asterisk, like "*Clean".

First, I look at it like this:

1. Clean -- bridge pickup, picking, sometimes neck or middle (neck +bridge pickup combination).

2. Low -- I think of these these are picked arpeggios, like you might be doing behind a vocalist in a verse, or just low gain guitar parts.

However, using the CS2 Amp Input Boost can wake these presets up like "fifth, extra" scene as a great rhythm tone or nice low-gain lead tone!

3. Rhythm or Medium -- these are your bread and butter gig tones. They will respond well to rolling off your guitar's volume knob to clean up too. They also like CS2 boost or sometimes the Fat switch.

4. Lead/Hi Gain - -these can be lead tones, or high gain tones. Often I will make a lead tone LESS bright than the preceding Rhythm tone, it helsp cut out sometimes annoying pick-attack and makes it sound smoother.

Note, in Bank 3 the metal modern amps, it's a little different for many pure metal amps. "Low" may be Scene 1 and a "Main Rhythm" with some mids scene 2. Then Scene3 will usually be a very scooped rhythm, and Scene 4 a lead tone.

To the question of leveling...

Leveling a clean on bridge humbucker for most amps will not be as loud in most cases as the sound played on the neck pickup or middle (combination), because the bass content on the neck drives the signal output more/higher. The issue here is, if you level the bridge high, then using the Neck pickup on the same preset may actually cause distortion.

There are also a few amps, like the Shiva Clean or Tweed Princeton, that are very sensitive to your input/attack, and if you whack them hard you can spike the signal with transients and maybe clip -little more challenging to level those, have to settle for a happy medium/compromise.

Now - if you think your cleans sound too low, you can always boost any Clean tone scene in one of three ways:

Method 1: Turn Amp Boost with CS2 On

Method 2: Use Dr2 block channel "A" when it is a MicroBoost

Method 3: Use Filter1 Channel A or B.

Also, the EQ content in the amp sound can affect your perception of it's loudness relative to other amps/scenes. A modern amp tone is going to sound louder to you than a Fender amp, even if technically both amps are leveled at exactly -12db on a meter. (Also, google "Fletcher Munson" effect about how volume levels play with our ears and loudness perception).

So, to level metal or modern amps, I do it a little different than other amps. I usually hit an A chord...then wait. Initially because of bass content those will spike up at first higher than -12db on my console/meters.. .what I look for is after a few seconds, at what level does the chord sustain at? For those heavier tones, I aim to have it "settle after a few seconds" to about -12db.

(I have to also say, those modern amps are the ones where it doesn't sound right and you sometimes just click up a small 0.3db or so, and all of a sudden it all "clicks" and the sound now roars out of the speaker at you that moments ago seemed distant and muffled. Interesting!)

Last, I level lead presets a little differently....instead of playing chords down by the nut like I might for Scenes 1 to 3, for Scene 4 Leads I instead play lead lines up around the 10th fret, and level to get them to -12db average...so if you hit a low E or chord, that's going to be louder than -12db, for example. I also need to leave headroom for boosts.

What if I mainly use a S/PDIF output into a DAW?

Another adjustment I'd suggest for Axe-Fx III users is this: if you plan to use these presets with the S/PDIF out (and possibly AES, I can't check that method myself though), be aware that the S/PDIF signal comes out 1.5db hotter on the same preset than the Analog XLR outs do.

I know this because on my Universal Audio Apollo system I feed them both into it, side by side. The S/PDIF is constant on the Axe-Fx III (turning the Output knobs do not affect it, whereas on an FM3 turning the Out1 knob will reduce the S.DPIF signal too.

So, using an Axe-Fx III S/PDIF out into a DAW like Logic or Pro Tools, you might want to use the channel insert to put in a transparent signal pad to decrease the signal by 1.5db exactly.

Personally, I do this on my Universal Audio Apollo using a Precision Channel Strip inserted. Then the analog XLR signals coming out the back of the unit show the same levels as my S/PDIF does with that 1.5db S/PDIF pad.

Okay, but I want my Axe-Fx III's preset to sound EXACTLY like what you originally dialed on the FM3 -- do I need to do anything else?

The LiveGold presets will sound great "as is!" on your Axe-Fx III.

But if you plan to use them live for gigs, here is my tip. You can use this Output 2 Global EQ setting to get your Axe-Fx III to sound almost exactly like the FM3 presets I made these on.

It's just a slight (but audible) lift the mids. I don't use this on Output 1 because I want my other presets Axe-Fx III to be flat. But I'm running my Output 2 into the same CLR my FM3 is, and this little adjustment there made the sounds identical when A/B'd.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.25.07 PM.png

Okay -- enough tips for tonight, but I'll be back with more this week.

Dumb question that could probably be answered searching, but here it goes. If I upload your FC12 setup, does that override the FC setup of any other presets of my own or other creators. Or can it be set on a preset basis.

That is a good question, and the answer is it will be your new layout, but if your other preset people use "per-preset" settings thos eprobabyl will override mine.

You really don't have to use mine...you can create your own. just make sure you can access the Amp block Input Boost (CS2 switch) and also the Fat Switch (CS3) at a minimum in your own setups...

BTW, I'm hoping others can chime over time on using these LIVE GOLD presets under public beta 13.00. I loaded it up tonight and went through a few LIVE GOLD presets and so far I haven't come across any existing preset drive blocks that seem far super off from where they were under 12.14...

Just updated my FM3 with the new bank as well as the new AB layout and took a quick tour through bank 3. Just amazing, so far. I tried the Holcomb presets with my Holcomb sig and played a few of Mrak's songs (Mile Zero, The Way the News Goes, etc.) and was smiling from ear to ear. I like the new layout, too. Very useful. Two thumbs up.

I'm having the same wah problem that I mentioned in the FM3 thread - basically, my wah is registering initial value as heel down (spring loaded Mission) 0% even though I have changed the value in setup to 100%. If I go into setup again and change this value (to 99%), it instantly changes the value in Axe-Edit and the wah block turns off. Stays like this through all presets until I touch the wah again (expected). When I change presets, the wah block is on again until I make another change in setup. Is this normal or is there some MIDI setting that needs to be adjusted? Why would I need to go into setup every time I turn on AFX3 and adjust this setting?

Hi AB, I was one of the early purchasers and I installed the FM3 version on my AFX3. Presets were already sounding pretty good I thought - but I must say that the actual AFX3 version you just put out is even greater - HUGE difference for me.

Not sure if it’s just the FW difference or the tweaks you made - but great job!! I’m loving the pack so far.

I only used CS2 (which I copied on my FC12 Scenes layout for easy access), but I will double check the other CS with your layout as soon as I have a few more hours to play.

Cheers,
Joce

@Gizmo

Exit Axe-Edit. Try to reset all parameters on the hardware, then reset it up the way you like including the external controller initial
Value, turn it off, then on and then start axe-edit. I have had three or four people say this solved the issue for them.

Last edited:
Just updated my FM3 with the new bank as well as the new AB layout and took a quick tour through bank 3. Just amazing, so far. I tried the Holcomb presets with my Holcomb sig and played a few of Mrak's songs (Mile Zero, The Way the News Goes, etc.) and was smiling from ear to ear. I like the new layout, too. Very useful. Two thumbs up.
Love this! I let Mark know too!

Having fun trying out the III version!
Saw one issue so far...

In the AX3 folder, bank 1 loads - preset 025 "Green OD1 JVM419 FM3" is there instead of the AX3 version.
Not the -AX3 version apparently.

Back
Top Bottom