Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Hi Everyone!

EDIT/UPDATE:

I've added a LATEST - FEB.2023 zip file in your "My Downloads" accounts on my website for the Axe-Fx III, FM9, and FM3 with all three LiveGold banks in the zip file, all updated to the latest public firmwares.

Original Post:

As I post today, it's August 8, 2020, and for many, many months I have been working on this special new TonePack for the FM3/Axe-Fx III.

I call it the "LiveGold" TonePack - because I approached these presets to make them all sound like a real amp in the room.

It's like a new & improved successor to the old AX8/Axe-Fx II 1000+ Dream Rigs, but with elements of the 1400+ Naked Amps for Axe-Fx III incorporated too. Each preset covers at least four sounds, ranging from clean to low to rhythm to high/lead, hitting almost every guitar amp model in the FM3 (but not bass).

To do that, I used an Atomic NEO CLR about -10 to 12 feet away from me, cranked up to stage volume/LOUD. So dialed in what I would want to hear on stage.

My beta testers tell me these are the best sounding presets I ever made! I humbly agree!

If you have an Axe-Fx III or FM3, you are gonna LOVE these presets. It will open your unit up, I promise.

The download zip file includes:

Bank 1 - the "Marshall style" bank. It includes presets of models based on amps by Marshall, Friedman, Splawn, Hook, Bogner and others. The CS2 Amp Boost function included really "phattens" these amps up, you will want check that out!

Bank 2 - presets based on Fenders, Vox and Vintage Amps, Class-A Amps, and Boutique amps.

Bank 3 - presets based on ENGL, Diezel, EVH 5150, Mesa Boogie, and others. Metal/Modern amps mainly. Plus a few Metallica and Petrucci-inspired presets (an "Enter Sandman" Rig preset for example!).

As a nice bonus, in Bank 3 the great Mark Holcomb of Periphery collaborated with me in my studio here helped me dial in a few 5150 amp model presets using his PRS guitars.

The zip download file includes Banks 1 to 3 for Axe-Fx III PLUS the FM3, along with a README Release notes and a preset list. Again -- you buy the Axe-Fx III version, and you also get the FM3 version as well in your download file (and vice-versa).

Also we've updated Foot-controllers layouts (included), including one for FC-12 and Axe-Fx III.

Here's a video that explains much about the concepts behind the LiveGold TonePack, the preset layouts, but you get four scenes 1-4 dialed in for humbuckers, plus scenes 5-8 allow for single coil use. All presets have a drive 2 block, delay and reverb, and many have other effects as well.

You can buy this TonePack now in the shop at www.austinbuddy.com.

Live-Gold-Tonepack-1-3d.jpg

We'll use this thread for Axe-Fx III Live TonePack comments, discussion, and updates, etc. There is also a LiveGold Tonepack thread in the FM3 section that has been running since early July.

Here's a July video by Burg (Australia's mighty Brett Kingman) on the new TonePack using Banks 1 and 2 (Bank 3 was added later, and is now available) - be sure to check out the Mark Holcomb (Periphery) presets coming in Bank 3 Brett used at the 7:00 mark to craft a little modern music!

A demo video from Rick Webster, who assembled his own "Dream Rig" into one preset:

Here's another little demo from Rob on some of the Bank 3 modern tones:

And here are the introduction tutorial videos about what's in it (made in July before Bank 3 was complete) and how to set up your outputs, the Amp Controller foot switches, how to copy amps and cabs from one preset into your own to make your own "Dream Rig", etc.

Other videos like tone demos will be posted here and on my YouTube channel as completed.

I know you guys will love these! The FM3 version feedback has been fantastic.

A great question is 'What's the difference between the 1000+ LIVEGOLD Tonepack and the 1400+ Naked Amps Tonepack?" I talked about that very question a few minutes into the tutorial video above.

In a nutshell, these were originally designed on an FM3 and made for being used in live gig situation. I dialed these in not with stereo monitors in front of me like I would in a mix (and like I did the 1400+ Naked Amps), but instead with a Atomic NEO CLR cranked up pretty loud (gig volume) about 10-12 feet away from me. The video documents all that. So for one example, these presets have a little more bass in them like an amp on stage would, that might otherwise be dialed out in a studio.

Also, in LiveGold, there is only one amp block per preset, and just a few effects -- CPU limits exist on FM3 where each preset was designed.

The1400+ Naked Amps has more varied tones, with two amps per preset, and more effects and extras, but Live Gold is more structured and flexible for you to create your own 'Dream Rigs" and is also set up for single coil players as well as humbuckers in each preset. Live Gold also really uses the Amp Boost function that I dialed in for each preset, not just the 12db default.

I'm sure you'll have questions!

Last edited:
I'll have a video tutorial up soon - should be tomorrow, and will post here... Even edited, it runs about 45 minutes. :eek:

Ironically, I found an error in a preset when making the video.

The AC-15 preset has CS5 and CS6 switches backwards.

CS6 should by assigned to Bass CUT (not saturation)

CS5 should be assigned to Saturation (not CUT).

You can fix this yourself. I will fix it in future updates. Counting on you guys to let m know here (or email at heybuddy @ austinbuddy.com) if you find any other little errors like that as you go through these over time, thanks!
All of the amps in Bank 1, except for above and the two FAS amps, have these reversed. The Fenders sound great! Haven't made it to the Marshalls yet.

All of the amps in Bank 1, except for above and the two FAS amps, have these reversed. The Fenders sound great! Haven't made it to the Marshalls yet.

You mean Bank 2 (not Bank 1) has some CS5 and CS6 switches backwards (reversed) on Bass Cut and Saturation, and you are right.

Bank 1 is okay, as is the new Bank 3

F' me. No one caught this until now...including myself.

I will fix them and re-upload soon, probably tomorrow.

Also looks like some models - found two AC-20 models didn't get a saturation controller at all, will fix that too.

Thanks @Gizmo - and guys, keep any detected issues coming so we can fix 'em.

(I know what happened... Mid-way through LiveGold I realized all my CS foot controller switches didn't match up exactly to all of the ones in the 1400+ Naked Amps and I wanted them to be the same across both platforms, so I went back...

...also I one point I didn't think certain amps sounded good with added saturation -- you can't even use it on a solid state JC120 -- and I stopped assigning controllers....then thought better of it... apparently I was not thorough enough in Bank 2 review for Controllers though! )

We'll get fixed very soon/almost done with FM3 bank 2 fixes...probably sometime tomorrow by afternoon.

Last edited:
First questions Austin ....!!!
Do the Presets load ans sound the same as the Fm3 presets as the link is the same ? Is there anything to tweak for you to the Axe III customers ...???
And How about Fw 13 that changes the sound of drive blocks ...??
Thanks .... and take care
Fafa

I got this when it was just for FM3 and it translated to my III wonderfully.

I’m in the process of revamping my entire live preset setup thanks to this. I’m using the Dirty Shirley as my go to sound for about 70% of the songs we do. I was cranking it through my XiTone all day today and loving it.

Thanks for such great work @austinbuddy

OKAY...(deep breath).

So, i have FIXED the Bank 2 controller switches that were backwards on bass cut and saturation.

I have replaced the entire zip file on the website, with the bank 2 correction for Both FM3 and Axe-Fx III versions.

So, you SHOULD be able to go to your account -- re-download the latest August 2020 zip.

When you open it, Bank 2 should look different than the prior one you got in last 24 hours.

New name: FM3_fw1.05_AusBuddy_LIVEGOLD_Bank_2rcs.syx

That "rcs" appended to the end of the bank means "revised control switches."

That's how you know to use that bank to replace any prior Bank 2 you loaded. Just load this one over it.

If someone could do this and confirm here that they they see the revised Bank 2 (per above), me and my web team would appreciate it!

Wanted to fix this ASAP, thanks @Gizmo for flagging it.

Onward!

Hey @grandinq and any others that may have downloaded in last 24 hours reading this:

Go back to your account and re-download and use the replacement Bank 2 (Banks 1 and 3 are fine). Bank 2 had some reversed control switches for Lo Cut and Saturation and some saturation values were not correct. I fixed them this afternoon/tonight after a forum user flagged them.

Here's what I posted on the FM3 forum about it:

So, I have FIXED the Bank 2 controller switches that were backwards on bass cut and saturation.

I have replaced the entire zip file on the website, with the bank 2 correction for Both FM3 and Axe-Fx III versions.

So, you SHOULD be able to go to your account -- re-download the latest August 2020 zip.

When you open it, Bank 2 should look different than the prior one you got in last 24 hours.

That's how you know to use that bank to replace any prior Bank 2 you loaded. Just load this one over it.

If someone could do this and confirm here that they they see the revised Bank 2 (per above), me and my web team would appreciate it!

Onward!

First questions Austin ....!!!
Do the Presets load ans sound the same as the Fm3 presets as the link is the same ? Is there anything to tweak for you to the Axe III customers ...???
And How about Fw 13 that changes the sound of drive blocks ...??
Thanks .... and take care
Fafa

First, don't use these presets under 13 beta (at least yet) since the drive blocks have changed there.

Use them under firmware 12.14. Firmware 13 beta will probably alter some of the drive block sounds. I haven't had a chance to listen to what it does to drive blocks. Hey, it JUST came out and is still beta! :cool:

Second, the LIVE GOLD presets sound great on the Axe-Fx III and the FM3. It's a different firmware than the FM3, but they work working great - the Ultra-Res Cabs (that the Fm3 doesn't have) help make the bass fuller.

You shouldn't need to tweak anything. But...if you are playing live with an Axe-Fx III and the Live Gold Presets, the only thing I might test and see if you like better than flat EQ is a little Global EQ Out tweak that looks like this...just a very small hump in the mids.

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 8.25.07 PM.png

Last edited:
OKAY...(deep breath).

So, i have FIXED the Bank 2 controller switches that were backwards on bass cut and saturation.

Onward!

I just re-downloaded it, and bank 2 has your updated filename on it.

This may already have been noted, but in some presets, e.g. "Lead CAE 3+ FM3", when engaging CS5 to turn the Saturation ON/OFF, you can audibly tell there's a difference, but it's not being reflected in FM3-Edit - the Saturation Switch always shows as being Off (even when you can audibly tell it's on).

When you right-click it to bring up the Edit Modifier window for it, you can even see the yellow arrowhead in the graph go to the bottom left corner when the switch is Off, and then go to the upper right corner when you turn it On. Just seems that the On/Off status itself doesn't get reflected.

I'm thinking this may be a problem with FM3-Edit. Yes, I'm using the latest version 1.01.09, along with Firmware 1.05.

Related Side Note - that "Lead CAE 3+ FM3" Preset...holy smokes, dude...seriously, especially on Scene 4, takes me right into Lukather territory! One of my favorites. I liked the stock preset, I LOVE your preset more.

In all fairness, he used that CAE 3+SE in real life for quite awhile (it's all over Kingdom Of Desire, and on numerous tours, I'm sure), so there's that...gonna spend some time with that Bogner XTC/Euro Blue for awhile too...

Last edited:
This may already have been noted, but in some presets, e.g. "Lead CAE 3+ FM3", when engaging CS5 to turn the Saturation ON/OFF, you can audibly tell there's a difference, but it's not being reflected in FM3-Edit - the Saturation Switch always shows as being Off (even when you can audibly tell it's on).

When you right-click it to bring up the Edit Modifier window for it, you can even see the yellow arrowhead in the graph go to the bottom left corner when the switch is Off, and then go to the upper right corner when you turn it On. Just seems that the On/Off status itself doesn't get reflected.

I'm thinking this may be a problem with FM3-Edit. Yes, I'm using the latest version 1.01.09, along with Firmware 1.05.

Related Side Note - that "Lead CAE 3+ FM3" Preset...holy smokes, dude...seriously, especially on Scene 4, takes me right into Lukather territory! One of my favorites. I liked the stock preset, I LOVE your preset more.

In all fairness, he used that CAE 3+SE in real life for quite awhile (it's all over Kingdom Of Desire, and on numerous tours, I'm sure), so there's that...gonna spend some time with that Bogner XTC/Euro Blue for awhile too...
Thanks @Chris Naish for confirming about revised bank2 showing up - great news!

Yes, FM3-Edit will not track if Saturation is engaged or not - it will always read off. Always been like that it's not a "switch" visually like the other buttons, because there are three possible values, not just on/off. Foot controller LED light will show it though if on.

Thanks for the kudos on the CAE! I never got around to doing a Lukather Bogner XTC preste, but I did some video and took a screen shot somewhere of his settings.

The last presets in Banks 3 are my old personal Bogner XTC rig from Austin 6th street gigs recreated, there are some good EFX blocks in there you guys should save into your library and import into other presets. There's a Hughes & Kettner Rotary emulation I A/Bd, and a Electric Mistress for example...

Last edited:
I see the new download for FM3 now. Much thx! I hope it`s easy to delete the AXE FX 3 parts as I don`t really need those. Just the FM3.

Sure @Shai`tan - if you don't have an Axe-Fx III, you can delete that folder. There is a folder for each - one for FM3 Live Gold Banks, and one for AX3 banks, ready for FractalBot!

More of a general Axe-Fx III question, but is it possible to map the amp controls that are setup for CS1-5 onto the Perform-PP screen? I ask as they don't seem to work when they are tied to a CS. The only luck I have is by unhooking the CS modifiers. I can also re-map them to manual modifiers (although there are 5 manual modifiers vs. 6 CS slots).

More of a general Axe-Fx III question, but is it possible to map the amp controls that are setup for CS1-5 onto the Perform-PP screen? I ask as they don't seem to work when they are tied to a CS. The only luck I have is by unhooking the CS modifiers. I can also re-map them to manual modifiers (although there are 5 manual modifiers vs. 6 CS slots).

Sure, you can re-work them however you like. Just detach the CS modifier. I'm not at my unit but you want want to note the Amp Boost values since those vary as well as saturation. But you can use only of the modifiers shown in that "edit modifier" window. I know some people don't use FC-6/FC12 foot controllers and that can be an issue, because CS is not Midi mapped. When you get your fav sounds together for your "Dream Rig" you can customize it however you like!

Thanks Buddy. Yep, I know I can re-work them and I do. I was just noticing that when the amp parameters are tied to a CS modifier, they won't work in the performance pages - you have to remove the modifier. This would cause a problem if you were using the "CS Per Scene" functionality to turn those options on/off since that CS modifier would be gone but I don't think you're using that.

Thanks again for your work on the Live Gold package - everything I've tried so far sounds fantastic! Was having fun with the Andy Timmons preset this evening.

In the video above from about 33:00 to 36:30 Buddy explains how he set up the input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions to CS controllers on the FC.

Are all of the 5 amp functions (input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions) set to "off" in every scene and preset?

It seems you can't turn on the input boost, cut, fat, bright, or saturation functions from Axe Edit unless you remove the CS controller. If you want any of them engaged you have to do it from the FC.

Would like to buy, but absolutely love 13 beta - anyone got experience (of ignoring Austin :) ) and trying it?

Back
Top Bottom