Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Wait...What?!?...“Friedman ASM-12 UP to 1.5-2...”. I thought we were supposed to play the Friedman ASM and ASC (and for that matter the CLR too) at around 8 to 10 (near MAX volume) and use the FM3 OUT1 volume knob to dial in appropriate volume. What am I doing wrong because if I set my Friedman ASC, ASM or my CLR to 1.5 - 2, I’d barely be able to hear them?! I don’t think they could keep up with a real 50 or 100 watt amp unless they’re dimed... Should I be making a pad change or something in the FM3 to make them louder because I just downloaded that ABSOLUTELY AWESOME AB ENGL preset and I had my Friedmans at 8 on the dial and the FM3 almost dimed and they were barely outputting what my real 50 and 100 watt amps sound like at 2 on the master volume... HELP?

Hey @ToneDriven - Personally, I approach the FM3 or AX8 as a preamp I set there Out1 once at a constant place, and forget it, then always set the stage volume from the FRFR I am using.

Your FM3 should have an Audio out set to +4 db, (not -10db). Check it at SETUP > I/O and scroll down the Audio tab to the Outs

The FRFR wants to see a hot signal (average -12db on digital scale where 0 = clipping) coming in, but not so hot that it can digitally clip the FRFR's input.

Hope that helps some. Glad you like the ENGL preset!

Hey @ToneDriven - Personally, I approach the FM3 or AX8 as a preamp I set there Out1 once at a constant place, and forget it, then always set the stage volume from the FRFR I am using.

Your FM3 should have an Audio out set to +4 db, (not -10db). Check it at SETUP > I/O and scroll down the Audio tab to the Outs

The FRFR wants to see a hot signal (average -12db on digital scale where 0 = clipping) coming in, but not so hot that it can digitally clip the FRFR's input.

Hope that helps some. Glad you like the ENGL preset!
Thanks AB! That explains a lot! My FM3 came from the factory set at -10db🤷‍♂️ I can’t wait to hear the difference this makes. While I’m here, I notice that OUT2 is factory set at 6db... Is that correct? OUT2 will be fed into a Friedman ASC12 as a backline...

More fun today with this pack. That Jumped 100W Plexi patch that @Burgs demoed in his video also works well to take you into Lincoln Brewster territory for all you fellow worship guitarists! Might have to give that AC20 patch a break for awhile, hehehe.

Oh my oh my oh my.

I have an Axe III but I decided to get this today figuring “why not?” and that I’d mess around with it a bit and then just wait for the III version.

All I can say is if the official III will be better, then I’m going to need a new word for “better.”

This is just hands down the best preset pack I’ve ever bought for live use. I grabbed the Plexi and Friedman C45 patches since those have been my go to amps lately, cranked up my XiTone and karaaang, there it was. It’s like @austinbuddy found an extra button I didn’t know was there. The tone was so alive. I thought I’d got pretty good at dialing in sounds on this amazing device, but this is just masterful.

To use an old analogy, these are the droids you’re looking for.

This is going to be too much fun.

Oh my oh my oh my.

I have an Axe III but I decided to get this today figuring “why not?” and that I’d mess around with it a bit and then just wait for the III version.

All I can say is if the official III will be better, then I’m going to need a new word for “better.”

This is just hands down the best preset pack I’ve ever bought for live use. I grabbed the Plexi and Friedman C45 patches since those have been my go to amps lately, cranked up my XiTone and karaaang, there it was. It’s like @austinbuddy found an extra button I didn’t know was there. The tone was so alive. I thought I’d got pretty good at dialing in sounds on this amazing device, but this is just masterful.

A lot of love — plus ten years experience of working with Fractal products — went into this preset batch. I wanted something I could gig with myself and be thrilled with. I don’t get along with every amp personally, but I really pulled the best I could out of each of them. Thank you for the kind words, and play inspired - that’s the goal!

Thanks AB! That explains a lot! My FM3 came from the factory set at -10db🤷‍♂️ I can’t wait to hear the difference this makes. While I’m here, I notice that OUT2 is factory set at 6db... Is that correct? OUT2 will be fed into a Friedman ASC12 as a backline...
+4db is setting you want in setup I/O Audio tab. Again, the FM3 Live Gold YouTube video walks through all the settings to make.

I never touch the output2 pad - I just use the factory default. On mine it says 6db.

Last edited:
Oh my oh my oh my.

This.

@austinbuddy 's preset packs are consistently excellent, but this Live Gold pack is his best yet. So many of the presets just jump out at you.

Oh my oh my oh my.

Did you convert the presets to the Axe-FX III without issues? What FW version are you using at the Axe-F III?

Did you convert the presets to the Axe-FX III without issues? What FW version are you using at the Axe-F III?

I am using 12.14.

I used Manage Presets in Axe Edit. Open that, open the browser window, then navigate to the folder with the preset banks. The browser finds them and I just dragged the ones I wanted to try out into blank presets.

I’ve read about some of the issues people have had and I didn’t have any of those. The key, as Austinbuddy said, is to use Manage Presets, not FracTool or FractalBot.

For myself of course i ll buy Austin live gold pack , how can it ve different...!!!!
But i ll wait.for the III version to ne released and optimized as the price of 79$ is until 31st August and mainly because of fréquent FW update , last one affects amp modeling ..... and there seems to be a few difficulties with the Pack as it is actually when you use it with the III ... too bad

Hey Guys:

@Rex (of this forum's fame) was checking some of my work in the Live Gold TonePack, he had helped beta test some presets too.

He found this error, you may want to manually correct it. I will correct it in the next update that includes Bank 3 coming before August 1.

In both '65 Bassman presets, the amp control BRITE is incorrectly set to CS3 (same as FAT). The correct value should be CS4.

'65 Bassman
'65 Bassman Bass chn

For each preset, if you go to the amp page shown (attached) and "right click" on the Bright switch, the "Edit Modifier" dialogue box will open up.

Next, click in the top left "SOURCE" area where it says "Control Switch 3, and then select "Control Switch 4" instead.

Close the dialogue box, and save preset. Fixed.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 6.38.19 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 6.38.48 PM.png

Last edited:
Layout 7 (amp control) switch three HOLD should bring you back to Layout 8 (main view), View 1 (make sure it si view 1, not another view).

Just check that in FM3 Edit, change it if it isn't. The below shows you waht layout 7 should look like. I think an early version layout had it going to Layout 9 instead of 8.

Here's a shot, compare to yours and fix footswitch three if it's different to match the below, and you should be good to go.

View attachment 70312
My question was more how to get back to Layout 7 once I hold Switch 3 to get back to Layout 8.

I don't use the Looper, so I edited all views of Layout 8 so that when I Hold Switch 3, it returns me to Layout 7 View 1, and used Layout Links to configure Hold Switch 3 to also change the FC-6 Layout 2 View 1, which is the Scenes Layout from OMG9, which seems most appropriate for when I'm using Live Gold Pack presets.

My question was more how to get back to Layout 7 once I hold Switch 3 to get back to Layout 8.

I don't use the Looper, so I edited all views of Layout 8 so that when I Hold Switch 3, it returns me to Layout 7 View 1, and used Layout Links to configure Hold Switch 3 to also change the FC-6 Layout 2 View 1, which is the Scenes Layout from OMG9, which seems most appropriate for when I'm using Live Gold Pack presets.

I disable Layout 8's View 1 3rd footswitch HOLD for the Looper and instead make that HOLDa footswitch that goes to the Layout 7 page. Then I can flip back and forth easy.

Here's a pic of my FM3 Layout 8. However, you might want to changer the Preset switch View to View 1 (it says View 3 here). I'm still switching presets in FM3_Edit for now. When I am done with making all the presets (about 1/3rd done with Bank 3 now) I'll probably do an updated FM3 and OMG9 layout and include those in the next update.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 8.45.13 PM.png

I converted Banks 1 and 2 with FracTool today into single presets to use on my AX3. I selected AX3 format the first time and ran into problems (popping noise switching scenes, blanketed tones). Then I exported them using the FM3 format and dragged them individually into AX3 Edit. They worked and sounded great! Loving every preset I have tried so far. @austinbuddy @Piing

I converted Banks 1 and 2 with FracTool today into single presets to use on my AX3. I selected AX3 format the first time and ran into problems (popping noise switching scenes, blanketed tones). Then I exported them using the FM3 format and dragged them individually into AX3 Edit. They worked and sounded great! Loving every preset I have tried so far. @austinbuddy @Piing
Yes - do not use Fractool to convert the bank, that isn’t working yet. You just use Axe-Edit III Preset Manager to import the FM3 Bank into your Ax3 and copy from browser window to bank area, and then save.
The presets should sound great now, but may sound better when I get a chance to go through them for little tweaks after I finish Bank 3.
Thanks for reporting in here!

Hi Buddy, enjoying the pack very much thank you! I started by saving the 59 bassman amp and cab blocks to the block library, then imported those blocks into a blank preset to make my main gig preset. Strangely my preset ends up heaps louder than yours for no apparent reason, how could that be?

And just confirming that the level of your presets is quite a bit lower than the factory presets just to increase headroom?

Thanks for your help! @austinbuddy

I started by saving the 59 bassman amp and cab blocks to the block library, then imported those blocks into a blank preset to make my main gig preset. Strangely my preset ends up heaps louder than yours for no apparent reason, how could that be?
Depends on what you did in that preset. :)

And just confirming that the level of your presets is quite a bit lower than the factory presets just to increase headroom?
The Live Gold presets hover right around 0 dB on the VU meter, same as the factory presets.

Thanks Rex, I only added amp and cab and connected them to the input and output. I see the meters hovering around zero on both Live Gold presets and the factory presets, yet the Live Gold presets are a lot quieter.

Back
Top Bottom