Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Cygnus X2

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
Having fun trying out the III version!
Saw one issue so far...

In the AX3 folder, bank 1 loads - preset 025 "Green OD1 JVM419 FM3" is there instead of the AX3 version.
Not the -AX3 version apparently.
It is the same thing/for Axe3. I somehow just overlooked renaming it.

One hundred and fifteen koala dollars....take my money good man!
Thanks
Pauly

Hi Everyone!

As I post today, it's August 8, and for many, many months I have been working on this special new TonePack for the FM3/Axe-Fx III.

I call it the "LiveGold" TonePack - because I approached these presets to make them all sound like a real amp in the room.

It's like a new & improved successor to the old AX8/Axe-Fx II 1000+ Dream Rigs, but with elements of the 1400+ Naked Amps for Axe-Fx III incorporated too. Each preset covers at least four sounds, ranging from clean to low to rhythm to high/lead, hitting almost every guitar amp model in the FM3 (but not bass).

To do that, I used an Atomic NEO CLR about -10 to 12 feet away from me, cranked up to stage volume/LOUD. So dialed in what I would want to hear on stage.

My beta testers tell me these are the best sounding presets I ever made! I humbly agree!

If you have an Axe-Fx III or FM3, you are gonna LOVE these presets. It will open your unit up, I promise.

The download zip file includes:

Bank 1 - the "Marshall style" bank. It includes presets of models based on amps by Marshall, Friedman, Splawn, Hook, Bogner and others. The CS2 Amp Boost function included really "phattens" these amps up, you will want check that out!

Bank 2 - presets based on Fenders, Vox and Vintage Amps, Class-A Amps, and Boutique amps.

Bank 3 - presets based on ENGL, Diesel, EVH 5150, Mesa Boogie, and others. Metal/Modern amps mainly. Plus a few Metallica and Petrucci-inspired presets (an "Enter Sandman" Rig preset for example!).

As a nice bonus, in Bank 3 the great Mark Holcomb of Periphery collaborated with me in my studio here helped me dial in a few 5150 amp model presets using his PRS guitars.

The zip download file includes Banks 1 to 3 for Axe-Fx III PLUS the FM3, along with a README Release notes and a preset list. Again -- you buy the Axe-Fx III version, and you also get the FM3 version as well in your download file (and vice-versa).

Also we've updated Foot-controllers layouts (included), including one for FC-12 and Axe-Fx III.

Note: If you don't use a pedal 1 or you a use a spring-loaded wah in pedal 1, you will need to set External Controller 1 Initial value to 100% (not 0%) else the wah will be initially on in every preset. This is covered in the release notes and the video I made.

Here's a video that explains much about the concepts behind the LiveGold TonePack, the preset layouts, but you get four scenes 1-4 dialed in for humbuckers, plus scenes 5-8 allow for single coil use. All presets have a wah, drive 2 block, delay and reverb, and many have other effects as well.

And best of all -- the 1000+ LIVE GOLD Axe-Fx III TonePack also on introductory sale until August 31st for $79, and then this fall will go back to the normal price of $99.

You can buy this TonePack now in the shop at www.austinbuddy.com.

Live-Gold-Tonepack-1-3d.jpg

We'll use this thread for Axe-Fx III Live TonePack comments, discussion, and updates, etc. There is also a LiveGold Tonepack thread in the FM3 section that has been running since early July.

Here's a July video by Burg (Australia's mighty Brett Kingman) on the new TonePack using Banks 1 and 2 (Bank 3 was added later, and is now available) - be sure to check out the Mark Holcomb (Periphery) presets coming in Bank 3 Brett used at the 7:00 mark to craft a little modern music!

And here are the introduction tutorial videos about what's in it (made in July before Bank 3 was complete) and how to set up your outputs, the Amp Controller foot switches, how to copy amps and cabs from one preset into your own to make your own "Dream Rig", etc.

Other videos like tone demos will be posted here and on my YouTube channel as completed.

I know you guys will love these! The FM3 version feedback has been fantastic.

A great question is 'What's the difference between the 1000+ LIVEGOLD Tonepack and the 1400+ Naked Amps Tonepack?" I talked about that very question about 4-5 minutes into the tutorial video above.

In a nutshell, these were originally designed on an FM3 and made for being used in live gig situation. I dialed these in not with stereo monitors in front of me like I would in a mix (and like I did the 1400+ Naked Amps), but instead with a Atomic NEO CLR cranked up pretty loud (gig volume) about 10-12 feet away from me. The video documents all that. So for one example, these presets have a little more bass in them like an amp on stage would, that might otherwise be dialed out in a studio.

Also, in LiveGold, there is only one amp block per preset, and just a few effects -- CPU limits exist on FM3 where each preset was designed.

The1400+ Naked Amps has more varied tones, with two amps per preset, and more effects and extras, but Live Gold is more structured and flexible for you to create your own 'Dream Rigs" and is also set up for single coil players as well as humbuckers in each preset. Live Gold also really uses the Amp Boost function that I dialed in for each preset, not just the 12db default.

I'm sure you'll have questions!

I downloaded over the weekend and these presets are killer! I've only gotten through a handful so far but I made a short video to share my appreciation and get a few examples of the metal amps out in the world. Thanks Austin Buddy!

In the video above from about 33:00 to 36:30 Buddy explains how he set up the input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions to CS controllers on the FC.

Are all of the 5 amp functions (input boost, cut, fat, bright, and saturation functions) set to "off" in every scene and preset?

It seems you can't turn on the input boost, cut, fat, bright, or saturation functions from Axe Edit unless you remove the CS controller. If you want any of them engaged you have to do it from the FC.

If you click Controllers in Axe Edit at the top left of the grid, you can update the CS-per-Scene setting and it'll change the value for you on that scene. Not sure if having a real switch of FC connected overrules that though.

I downloaded over the weekend and these presets are killer! I've only gotten through a handful so far but I made a short video to share my appreciation and get a few examples of the metal amps out in the world. Thanks Austin Buddy!

Awesome @VTC! Sounds great in your capable hands!

Thanks, I'll add this video to the YouTube LiveGold demo playlist! Appreciate you taking the time to demo some of these tones!

...these presets were initially created and leveled a little hot on the FM3, with that Output1 maxed on my system (going to my CLR 10-12 feet away).

Just purchased and looking forward to trying these out! Thanks for the price break for working musicians. I hope we're supporting you in return.

Question on your setup: when using your CLR this way, how do you have the DSP switch set up? I'm curious because although the switch tells me I should put it in certain positions when the speaker is physically in certain positions, my ear leads me in a different direction. And I'd like to use whatever your starting point is as much as possible. Thanks!

Just purchased and looking forward to trying these out! Thanks for the price break for working musicians. I hope we're supporting you in return.

Question on your setup: when using your CLR this way, how do you have the DSP switch set up? I'm curious because although the switch tells me I should put it in certain positions when the speaker is physically in certain positions, my ear leads me in a different direction. And I'd like to use whatever your starting point is as much as possible. Thanks!
Here's link from AB about the CLR settings and more;
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ble-now-for-firmware-12-x.140757/post-1874921

For this TonePack it is a little different. For dialing them in loudly to beat Fletcher Munson but not kill my ears, My CLR input is just under 2:00, and Master volume was just over 10:00 (because I am sitting 10-12 feet away - at a big gig it would be at noon or louder). The presets are also pretty hot signal wise. The CLR is pointed slightly off-axis at me, not on the ground but on a big black box I have (like a floor). The DSP happens to be on Tilt but it could work fine on BL too.
View attachment 71311

Attachments

• 4362BA87-52EA-4222-AA13-5206388F7F1B.jpeg
    4362BA87-52EA-4222-AA13-5206388F7F1B.jpeg
    914 KB · Views: 40
That’s what use for Naked Amps as a stereo studio monitor pair. I did it a little different for Live Gold though- see post above.
Hi Austin ,
There ll be the final release for Fw13 soon now
Does it affect your presets that uses drives ?? Does it Changes the sound of the pack ?

Hi Austin ,
There ll be the final release for Fw13 soon now
Does it affect your presets that uses drives ?? Does it Changes the sound of the pack ?

It doesn’t change amp sounds.
So far the drives I’ve tested (as used in the TonePack) haven’t changed much if at all but I haven’t gone through 1400 sounds either - so we shall see! As people Play/test they can post about issues they may find.

Hi Buddy, I am running my AX-FX III through a Fryette Power Station and a traditional 2x12 guitar cab. If I were to use your product, besides bypassing the cab block, what else would you recommend to optimize your presets?

Have you tested your presets with a traditional guitar cab?

Hi Buddy, I am running my AX-FX III through a Fryette Power Station and a traditional 2x12 guitar cab. If I were to use your product, besides bypassing the cab block, what else would you recommend to optimize your presets?

Have you tested your presets with a traditional guitar cab?
No I have not. I make and use them with great FRFRs. It would be impossible for me to test them with all that is out there in terms of real cabs and power amps. But all you should need to do is make adjustments to the Output GEQs to compensate. Meaning, if you like Marshalls or Freidmans and primarily play those, tailor the presets by adjusting Global Output EQs to get the lows, mids, and highs where you like them. On the Axe -III version you can use Output 3 and there is a GEQ4 In each preset you can adjust as well. Hope that helps!

Shout out to @austinbuddy for these. I'm finding lots of presets I can use in there, and I appreciate the consistent scene approach across all the presets. Makes it very digestible! Money well spent, so if you're hesitant to pull the trigger, don't.

A couple of things:
  1. On every preset, the wah block is engaged and can't be bypassed. I have to manually delete it and replace it with a shunt. IDK why.
  2. I got these partly because I want to gauge how I am doing on my own presets in terms of overall tonal balance. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in that regard. If I use one of the plexi presets, they tend to be bright, shrill, brutal. Much brighter than I'd tune anything. Then I go to the Badger 30 preset, and it seems to have no high end at all. All of which brings me to this: I know we shouldn't try to make every single amp sound like every other...that would be defeating the purpose. But I'm curious about, as I said, that overall tonal balance and how best to strike it. Too much bass and everything gets muddy and you're stepping on the bassist. Too bright and you're stepping on pretty much everything. I'd be interested in hearing how the pros approach that, and how (as in this case) the amp presets end up sounding so very different in that respect.

That wah block defaulting to 'ON' got me when I first got the pack. But you can change that in a single global setting on the front panel of the actual AxeFx3 - you don't need to manually delete all the wah blocks individually at all. It's all to do with if there's an expression pedal attached or not. You need to change a setting from 0% to 100%. Perhaps Buddy can chime in here, as I've forgotten exactly what the setting was. I never use a wah, so would have preferred that it defaulted to NOT being on, and those who do use a wah could then do the global setting thing the opposite way. But that's life. It was a really simple fix once Buddy explained what needed to be done.

Shout out to @austinbuddy for these. I'm finding lots of presets I can use in there, and I appreciate the consistent scene approach across all the presets. Makes it very digestible! Money well spent, so if you're hesitant to pull the trigger, don't.

A couple of things:
  1. On every preset, the wah block is engaged and can't be bypassed. I have to manually delete it and replace it with a shunt. IDK why.
  2. I got these partly because I want to gauge how I am doing on my own presets in terms of overall tonal balance. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in that regard. If I use one of the plexi presets, they tend to be bright, shrill, brutal. Much brighter than I'd tune anything. Then I go to the Badger 30 preset, and it seems to have no high end at all. All of which brings me to this: I know we shouldn't try to make every single amp sound like every other...that would be defeating the purpose. But I'm curious about, as I said, that overall tonal balance and how best to strike it. Too much bass and everything gets muddy and you're stepping on the bassist. Too bright and you're stepping on pretty much everything. I'd be interested in hearing how the pros approach that, and how (as in this case) the amp presets end up sounding so very different in that respect.

The wah block and the issue you mention is all covered in the Release notes and the Video I made, and that video that shows you exactly how to fix the issue you have.

The Wah block is set up like a real wah - toe down turns it off.
I've always done it that way in all my prior TonePacks. If I had not set an auto on or off, you'd have to hit a footswitch to turn the wah block on and I suspect many would complain about that "extra step."

It's an easy easy fix. It's done on the hardware. Exit the editor before you do it. You may have to "reset parameters" once, a few people said they had to re-boot to get it to stay off but it all did eventually.

First -- You need to set your Pedal 1 to equal External controller 1. If you don't use a pedal plugged into Pedal 1 jack, just go to next step.

Then you set "External Controller 1 INITIAL VALUE" setting from the hardware to 100% instead of 0%. It's laid out how ot get there in the video and the release notes.

The Wah is coming on for each preset because the default value of "External 1 Initial Value" is set to 0%, which the Wah thinks the toe is UP. Just change the 0% value to 100%. One global change here and when you load a preset now, the Wah will read 100% and think the toe is down - and not come on.

Also, make sure you CALIBRATE your pedal 1 too.

Now - if you have a spring loaded pedal for the pedal 1 wah, if you do the above, the preset will not turn on the wah initially either -- But once you touch the wah once, it will stay on because the spring load pulls back into toe up and is <95% value that turns the wah off. For those of you who use spring loaded pedals, in each preset you want to use when performing live or studio, you have to REVERSE the modifier values preset by preset, from 95% off to 5% off, and save it. The video explains that too.

I hope ya'll will take a few minutes given your investment and read the release notes and watch the video - all of this is covered in there, in the latest release notes I put it on the first page. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom