• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

AFIII Presets AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack for Axe-Fx III: Cygnus fw16.04+ Update Now Available!

Third-party preset or preset pack for the Axe-Fx III

Mr.Modeler

Inspired
I created a spreadsheet to keep track of which presets/scenes reminded me of certain song/artists in addition to the ones @austinbuddy noted in the preset/scene names. After getting permission, I'm sharing it with you in a couple ways.

One is a link to Google Docs that anyone can contribute to if they wish. I haven't added any of my own entries at the time of this post, but I have a couple to add over the next couple days. You should be able to download this collaboration version with everyone's contributions. I'll download it from time to time and clean it up if needed in case something unfortunate happens. It should auto-save any changes you make. If a preset row has already been used by someone else, please add another row below it and be sure to copy the preset number and name as well as your username before adding your contribution. That will help with any sorting you might want to do after you download it to your computer. Thanks!
Who knows, maybe AB himself might make a few additional contributions (besides the one in the scene names) of what he was going for when creating some of the presets/scenes.

LiveGoldEdit

The following links are for a clean download in Excel or Numbers formats if you want to maintain your own personalized list:

Live Gold Excel Download For PC
Live Gold Numbers Download For Mac
This is cool. I was just thinking about how useful this would be the other day.

FarleyUK

Inspired
Maybe a 'n00b' question, but I could do with some guidance....

I used some of the presets from the previous pack (i.e. before the update) to create my own profiles; things like extra blocks, adjusting some parameters etc. - and am curious on the 'suggested' approach to use the updated patches?

I would assume that just copying and pasting my own blocks onto the preset would be the best way to do things... but I'm curious if there's any other 'recommended' approaches?

CipherHost

Inspired
I would assume that just copying and pasting my own blocks onto the preset would be the best way to do things... but I'm curious if there's any other 'recommended' approaches?

I just added an entry for preset 252 in the LiveGoldEdit link and that's what I did. You can see I added the TS9DX at default values. That works for me at the moment.

I'd just like to say that the entries I'll be adding over time may not be exact tone clones for covers, but this is a LiveGold pack and can/should be tweaked for your own live sound. LiveGoldEdit is only meant to be a starting point for others because there are so many available presets and we can't share them in axechange.

Update: I have added "Demo URL" as the last column in the LiveGoldEdit document if you would like to include your demo.

Last edited:

PaulC

Inspired
A question for @austinbuddy or anyone else that may have this figured out. I have looked through the manual and searched the forum but so far have not seen this addressed.

Here is what I would like to do:
Use the Control Switches AustinBuddy has added to these presets to add Boost, Cut Bass or whatever using the assigned switches on the FC6 (which is great by the way). Then, when I have the sound I want, save the preset and have these changes persist as defaults for the preset/scene when I switch away and back to it. Is this possible?

I can make changes to the defaults of the CS's using the "CS Per Scene" screen under AxeEdit. But have not found a way to make these changes permanent when playing live and not having AxeEdit available. I have also not found a way to do this from the screen on the Axe-Fx III, did I miss the CS Per Scene page there?

I use many presets in a gig and without being able to make these changes to the preset defaults it means a lot of tap dancing when I switch around.

Thanks for the help

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
A question for @austinbuddy or anyone else that may have this figured out. I have looked through the manual and searched the forum but so far have not seen this addressed.

Use the Control Switches AustinBuddy has added to these presets to add Boost, Cut Bass or whatever using the assigned switches on the FC6 (which is great by the way). Then, when I have the sound I want, save the preset and have these changes persist as defaults for the preset/scene when I switch away and back to it. Is this possible?

I can make changes to the defaults of the CS's using the "CS Per Scene" screen under AxeEdit. But have not found a way to make these changes permanent when playing live and not having AxeEdit available. I have also not found a way to do this from the screen on the Axe-Fx III, did I miss the CS Per Scene page there?

I use many presets in a gig and without being able to make these changes to the preset defaults it means a lot of tap dancing when I switch around.

Thanks for the help

I don’t think there is a way to do it live (to save it by scene). You have to either use the Cs per Scene option in Controllers, or
Just disconnect the modifier altogether and toggle it manually and save. Sorry! If I’m wrong someone correct me.

Rublalup

Inspired

Thanks for the help

On the FCs per preset you can assign the status of each CS (on/off) on every scene.

You have to save the preset with that settings to recall it each time you access them. On the unit (at least on the fm3) you can access the FC per-preset on the main screen (D button).

PaulC

Inspired
On the FCs per preset you can assign the status of each CS (on/off) on every scene.

You have to save the preset with that settings to recall it each time you access them. On the unit (at least on the fm3) you can access the FC per-preset on the main screen (D button).
Thanks for the help. I will work out a way using that screen, though not as convenient as just saving. I am sure there is a reason this is not available, something to do with how CS are managed in the code. Or maybe I am the only one that would want to do that. :)

CraigP

Inspired
Treated myself to purchase this last night and installed it. So far, very pleased with it......I think I can delete all the presets I created myself and will be happy using this for the most part.

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey everyone:

Live Gold (and applies to latest Naked Amps fw 15 version too!) Tutorial #4 is now up.

For those of you not using an FC12 or FC-6 foot-controller, here is the long-promised "down and dirty" video on how to use CS per Scene in the editor to activate CS controller switches (such as CS2 amp boost) and save them the way you like them, or to re-map them to your own MIDI foot-controller.

Hope this is helpful!

FarleyUK

Inspired
Hey Austin! I'm guessing (and hoping!) once Cygnus is out of beta, you'll update the pack accordingly...? I don't trust my skills or ears to do it myself, personally! :)

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hey Austin! I'm guessing (and hoping!) once Cygnus is out of beta, you'll update the pack accordingly...? I don't trust my skills or ears to do it myself, personally! :)
I need to spend some time with Cygnus over next few weeks. Some amps seem to be fine after the update, others are different and will have to be dialed in. Another thing is I'm not going to dial the Cygnus preset to "match" the prior firmware 15 scene sound when I re-do them, because it sounds different for some amps than the firmware 15, I'll just make it sound good across scenes.

Stay with firmware 15 if you like your sounds now. It's gonna take months to do the update probably. Cygnus is still BETA. it is NOT a final PUBLIC firmware yet. Plus it still needs to be ported to the FM3 as well...

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Okay, this weekend I've started work on updating the Live Gold TonePack to Cygnus firmware, and will keep updating here as Cliff updates all the 270+ amp models over next few weeks. I'll keep you guys posted.

Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend you stay on firmware 15 and wait a few weeks for now. Wait until at least the Cygnus release is a FINAL PUBLIC release, and not a BETA, before you think about updating.

And as always, BACK UP EVERYTHING in FractalBot before undertaking any kind of firmware update, so you can always revert back to firmware 15. Remember, a preset that is saved on Cygnus firmware probably cannot be read by firmware 15 and will appear "blank". Backups are critical!

It will be many weeks until a complete TonePack update is ready. A few things to know are below, and I'll add more as I go to this...

Cygnus WILL change the sound of many of your presets. Mostly for the better (so far in my testing). The Plexi style amps all sound WAY better, but I haven't done many others yet. I'm focused on updating Bank 1 Marshall styles for now.

Cygnus can affect the gain and volume of existing presets. Meaning, the same gain setting on firmware 15 is NOT necessarily the same level of gain on Cygnus. You have to use your ears and not your eyes. Your old habits of "I like the Master at 4 on this amp" or "I like the Gain at 5 on this amp" may not sound the same now, you'll have to adjust.

Cygnus can change the tone (EQ content) of existing presets. In the Marshalls so far I'm hearing more bass after a re-set that I need to further cut, and so far with Marshalls I'm finding I want to push the amp's mids in Cygnus out a bit more (which firmware 15 did nicely).

Cygnus may change a sound you like in firmware 15 - and you won't be able to get it back. It's new firmware, and I can hear the difference when A/Bing my two Axe-III units on identical presets with "the same settings." I can dial one to be close to the other with some tweaks, but it's still not exactly the same for many amps. But don't worry, the amps mostly sound better and more realistic so far - and the Cygnus firmware FEEL better under your fingers.

Warning: The saturation drive (when engaged via CS5) now is WAY louder in many presets and I will have to dial those back down manually further in the next update. You have been warned!

If you do an amp reset on a LiveGold preset, know that you will lose any settings I may have made to:

-Output compression (for cleans),
-Input EQ (to cut/control bass),
-Amp GEQ (rarely, but sometimes),
-Variac (Van Halen stuff), and
-Saturation Drive (I custom set this a lot)
-Speaker Impedance Curve (I did custom choice, not default, for about 1 in 4 presets).

Resets will restore default amp settings also for your presence control and master volume and saturation drive value - you'll lose those on a soft amp reset.

So I'd make a note of those values in any amp scene before you do any resets.

But (thanks to @yek for reminding me of this) if you use the SETUP > GLOBAL SETTINGS > TONE CONTROL DISPLAY and that set to IDEAL instead of AUTHENTIC, the good news that then an amp reset should leave your preset's existing Gain/drive, Bass/Middle/Treble and Level controls exactly as they were, as well as any custom amp boost amount dialed in.

Overall, after making adjustments, I'm loving Cygnus so far and it's a big step up to the "live in a room" sound - very fat and full sounding.

Today I updated the LiveGold presets to these models to Cygnus in my working bank:

-6CA7 Plexi
-1959 SLP all models (Jimmy Page! I can hear it!),
-Brown Sound,

-1987x all models,
-JCM 800 all models,
- Brit Super Lead, (Black Sabbath! I can hear it!)

-JTM45 all models,
  • Dirty Shirley both models and
  • Friedman Small Box.

17 presets, 4 scenes each = 68 sounds. I run about 8 to 12 updated scenes per hour, depending on what needs to be fixed, if anything. So it's gonna take awhile to get all 1200+ LiveGold preset/scene sounds updated to Cygnus -- but will be worth your wait! Your patience is appreciated!

Piing

Fractal Fanatic
Unless you really know what you are doing, I recommend you stay on firmware 15 and wait a few weeks for now. Wait until at least the Cygnus release is a FINAL PUBLIC release, and not a BETA, before you think about updating.

😂 Any lost soul still on FW15?

Thank you for your effort, Austin!

austinbuddy

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
So you guys know, Cliff has changed the Friedman Brown Eye amps up under Cygnus. Yek's excellent Amp Guide in the Wiki covers these changes.

A summary from that:

Models before firmware Cygnus:

1. BE: based on old Marsha model, BE mode
  2. BE C45: based on Mark Day's BE-100, C45 switch engaged
  3. BE V1: based on Mark Day's BE-100, voice: right position (less mids)
  4. BE V2: based on Mark Day's BE-100, voice: left position (more mids)
  5. HBE: based on old Marsha model, HBE mode
  6. HBE 2018: based on 2018 BE-100, HBE mode
  7. HBE 2018 C45: based on 2018 BE-100, HBE mode, C45 switch engaged
  8. HBE V1: based on Mark Day's BE-100, HBE mode, voice: right position (less mids)
  9. HBE V2: based on Mark Day's BE-100, HBE mode, voice: left position (more mids)
Models in firmware Cygnus, based on a 2018 BE-100 with feedback off the 4-ohm tap:

1. BE V1: voice in right position (less mids)
  2. BE V1 C45: voice in right position (less mids), C45 switch engaged
  3. BE V2: voice in left position (more mids)
  4. BE V2 C45: voice in left position (more mids), C45 switch engaged
  5. HBE V1: HBE mode, voice in right position (less mids)
  6. HBE V1 C45: HBE mode, voice in right position (less mids), with C45 switch engaged
  7. HBE V1 Fat: HBE mode, voice in right position (less mids), FAT switch engaged
  8. HBE V2: HBE mode, voice in left position (more mids)
  9. HBE V2 C45: HBE mode, voice in left position (more mids), C45 switch engaged
Go read the Wiki post to learn more.

If you are in love and use a particular BE or HBE model, know that it may change if you update to Cygnus firmware and in the next LiveGold update to Cygnus.

I'll have to make changes to the BE/HBE presets and their names to match the changes... I've been updating all Marshall- style amps that are now Cygnus "verified" amp models Cliff has publicly reported he's completed (not all amp models are verified or updated yet, will be a few months I bet) and am about to move to update the verified "Fender" styles next...

Just a friendly head's up. I am blown away with how good the Plexi's sound in Cygnus. I used to struggle to pull what I wanted out of a few models, and it's effortless now. It's like the mic is in the exact right spot for the balance of bass, mids, and treble now under Cygnus. Because I had brought bass up in firmware 15, I'm having to bring it back down some now... but the Plexis sound glorious!

Last edited:
Top Bottom