Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Hi guys:

Now that The 1000+ Naked Amps TonePack firmware v5 update for the Axe III is done, I hope to get to the Dream Rigs ARES 1.03 update for the XL, XL+ and Mark II over the next few weeks. In fact I've started it.

Noticed a few things under ARES 1.03...

1. First, make sure your Out1 knob is at the max if going into a DAW or digital console.

2. Now, I don't have any explanation for this, but I am noticing on my XL that the S/PDIF out signal for a preset, compared to the XLR out signal for the same exact preset, is about 1.6db hotter on my digital console (UAudio).

3. Unlike the Axe-Fx III or the AX8, there is no +4db or -10db pad software switch on the hardware

4. I usually level presets to the S/PDIF signal level on my digital console, but in this case I'm going to put a -1.6db transparent pad on the incoming S/PDIF signal and instead will level all the Dream Rigs presets to the XLR output signal level (leveled to an average -12db under the new firmware), because most of you use that for live gigs.

5. I'm going to play with the Speaker Compression a bit. I usually leave it off for live gigs, but ARES uses it. I may use none or a little bit, maybe not as much as the default value (and it does affect the overall output volume).

It will take time to check everything out, but I do hope have it done before end of summer (if not sooner).

When done, this will be probably be the last free update for the XL/XL+ and Mark II 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack
, since it is highly unlikely Cliff is going to further update the firmwares for these units. Not to worry, these units still sound great!

If you have found any errors in the current version, please let me know here or my email (on my website) so I can address them in the update to come.

Last, I do eventually plan to do an Dream Rigs Effects Block Library tool -- first on Axe-Fx III, then for the Ax8, then comes the Axe-Fx -- for release later this year or maybe in 2020 -- so know that future products are in the making for the Axe-Fx too!

Thanks everyone!
Hi Austin hope everything good with you.
Hi buy that pack and it’s wonderful... But I’ve got the firmware Quantum 10.01.
When you made the update to the Ares 1.03 it will be pay again or just have the update near the firmware 10.01?
Thanks a lot once more Austin.

Hi everyone:

Think I'm going to get some bandwidth this coming Labor Day weekend to finish the Ares 1.03 update to 1000+ Dream Rigs for Axe-Fx II and XL/XL+. That will likely be the final product update since no future firmware updates are expected.

I've played some presets right now designed on Quantum 9.x but after using FracTool to reset amp blocks for Ares 1.03 (loaded) -- and mostly sounds great.

As I dig into it, let me know here if there are any specific preset issues you noticed, especially if you loaded up 1.03 using Dream Rigs for 9.x, that I may need to fix -- please flag anything here in this thread, and I'll try to address it for the update. Thanks!

Because there are so many (six) banks to update, I may try to get a partial update available in your account (like first 2 or 3 banks) up sooner, rather than make everyone wait for all six banks at once -- cool?

Hi everyone:

Think I'm going to get some bandwidth this coming Labor Day weekend to finish the Ares 1.03 update to 1000+ Dream Rigs for Axe-Fx II and XL/XL+. That will likely be the final product update since no future firmware updates are expected.

I've played some presets right now designed on Quantum 9.x but after using FracTool to reset amp blocks for Ares 1.03 (loaded) -- and mostly sounds great.

As I dig into it, let me know here if there are any specific preset issues you noticed, especially if you loaded up 1.03 using Dream Rigs for 9.x, that I may need to fix -- please flag anything here in this thread, and I'll try to address it for the update. Thanks!

Because there are so many (six) banks to update, I may try to get a partial update available in your account (like first 2 or 3 banks) up sooner, rather than make everyone wait for all six banks at once -- cool?

I haven’t picked this up yet, so I’m thinking of waiting until the update to get it. Thanks!

@austinbuddy - please forgive me if this has been asked previously, but as a very recent Axe Fx III owner, and having already purchased Naked Amps tonepack for it, I have two questions:

1. I see the Naked pack is now up to 1400 presets - do I just download that and install it to my Fx III over the top of the original 1000 preset version (allowing extra room of course?

2. Can we look forward to a Dream Rig preset pack for the Fx III, and if so, approximately when?

Thanks for the great packs! :)

@austinbuddy - please forgive me if this has been asked previously, but as a very recent Axe Fx III owner, and having already purchased Naked Amps tonepack for it, I have two questions:

1. I see the Naked pack is now up to 1400 presets - do I just download that and install it to my Fx III over the top of the original 1000 preset version (allowing extra room of course?

2. Can we look forward to a Dream Rig preset pack for the Fx III, and if so, approximately when?

Thanks for the great packs! :)
1. Yes just install the final 1400+ complete update over the old 1000+ one.

2. Cannot say with any precision about “when” - but yes there will be one eventually.

Last edited:
I'm really excited about this final update to ARES! Your patches are amazing Austin Buddy and I've been holding off updating to ARES until your Dream Rigs is updated.

Thanks so much for keeping us Axe II owners updated!

I am into Bank 1 and so far I’ve only needed to adjust levels up a bit... my goal is to get through Banks 1, 2 and 3 and maybe 4 by Labor Day and have them ready for your account download area...

Great news. The AustinBuddy packs are central to my work flow. Thus, I only update the Fractal to be in sync with the preset packs. I’ve held off on Ares thus far in anticipation of the AB updates.

Great news Buddy and look forward. In the meantime I've been using some of your presets and with some minor tweaking I can get good results, but would love to have them in ARES.

This is your XTCBluM: Med. /yzbrt preset and swaped the ir using 1 of FAS cab Pack 9 (CK Euro). I'm about to recover from my broken index finger.

Got through Bank A (Gigs Bank) in last 24 hours. Had some weird hiccups with Axe-Edit (it would sometimes copy a preset one prior ahead one next -- weird).

I'm going to make these all a little hotter, by a 1db or maybe 2. I am also cutting some bass - ARES really pushes it -- using Cab block at -12db, and slight EQ tweaks, as a few patches are not as bright as I like. But very very minor stuff - so far so good.

For some reason the Friedman BE C45 after amp reset came up as Plexi 2204 (incorrect), so re-did those four presets....

Just want you guys to know it's coming. I'm doing for XL/XL+ first. Axe II version is a pain because it does'nt have some of the needed factory the cabs and I have to in essence redo those specific presets -- so that may take longer, can't be helped.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have made a lot of progress on the Axe Fx II. My main focus is 1) all of the Mesa amp models, and 2) the Marshall tones from the edge of break up to high gain.

I was planning to buy the pack for the first time this Saturday. Would the progress that you have already made show up in the download at that time, or would I have to wait for the full update to be released?

Sounds like you have made a lot of progress on the Axe Fx II. My main focus is 1) all of the Mesa amp models, and 2) the Marshall tones from the edge of break up to high gain.

I was planning to buy the pack for the first time this Saturday. Would the progress that you have already made show up in the download at that time, or would I have to wait for the full update to be released?
I won't have the complete update by Saturday, but may have it done by Monday (or at least the first 3-4 banks of the six total) - have to see how the weekend goes. Coffee and late nights with the machine here I come!

Okay - another update. For XL/XL+ folks first. Thanks to coffee and a long weekend, I have updated 1000 Dream Rigs for XL/XL+ to ARES 1.03 for Banks 1, 2 and 3 (except I'm finishing the FAS and Mesa Boogies Monday AM, that's all that's left in the first three banks).

A few things (think of these as informal update notes):

• For ARES 1.03, I've made the preset levels hotter and a little more consistent across each amp, usually LEVEL change louder of between 1 db and 3db. However, some amps somehow where way off (too low in volume) in ARES 1.03 level-wise (the Diezels in particular) and so I went higher than 3db. I didn't use Axe-Fx hardware VU meter readings this time, I used my UAudio console meters and my ears likeI do for Naked Amps. So you may hear some prior "meh" or overlooked amps sound "fresher" now with the loudness where it should be in ARES.
  • I did little tweaks to lower gain for the clean/lower gain patches (some sounded/felt gainer in ARE 1.03 than I remembered under Quantum 10.01) and I did very light touches to EQ throughout, usually shaving off a little bass and adding a little treble if something from prior Q10 now sounded more cloudy to me under ARES.
  • Also used for some (but not all) the 12db Cab Block shelving instead of 6db to tighten up bass response, and if there was a NULL/proximity in Cab block I may have lowered that value a little too. Feel free to use that 12db shelf if you think I preset is still "woofy" to you (and raise the Cab low cut higher). ARES puts in some nice fuller bass in for sure!

• It was fun re-discovering some of these amps!
  • Axe-Fx II users -- Because your cabs are different, I have to do some tricky stuff to convert these and then assign user cabs - basically re-do them for all that have the limited factory cabs. So it will take longer, (maybe October?). Sorry, it just takes time to do this right. I'll do same approach -- get you first three banks out first.
  • Next.. I will try to get the last 3 banks (4, 5 and 6) and maybe bonus presets done later this month (or October worst case), but as promised tomorrow (Monday) afternoon I will add an UPDATED XL/XL+ 1000+ Dream Rigs download file with Banks 1, 2, 3 for ARES 1.03 to your accounts for download. I'll post again here when it's available.

I am also going to get an newsletter/email out in next few weeks, so everything knows the updates are in or coming... thanks again for your patience!

Last edited:
Okay - another update. For XL/XL+ folks first. Thanks to coffee and a long weekend, I have updated 1000 Dream Rigs for XL/XL+ to ARES 1.03 for Banks 1, 2 and 3 (except I'm finishing the FAS and Mesa Boogies Monday AM, that's all that's left in the first three banks).

A few things (think of these as informal update notes):

• For ARES 1.03, I've made the preset levels hotter and a little more consistent across each amp, usually LEVEL change louder of between 1 db and 3db. However, some amps somehow where way off (too low in volume) in ARES 1.03 level-wise (the Diezels in particular) and so I went higher than 3db. I didn't use Axe-Fx hardware VU meter readings this time, I used my UAudio console meters and my ears likeI do for Naked Amps. So you may hear some prior "meh" or overlooked amps sound "fresher" now with the loudness where it should be in ARES.
  • I did little tweaks to lower gain for the clean/lower gain patches (some sounded/felt gainer in ARE 1.03 than I remembered under Quantum 10.01) and I did very light touches to EQ throughout, usually shaving off a little bass and adding a little treble if something from prior Q10 now sounded more cloudy to me under ARES.
  • Also used for some (but not all) the 12db Cab Block shelving instead of 6db to tighten up bass response, and if there was a NULL/proximity in Cab block I may have lowered that value a little too. Feel free to use that 12db shelf if you think I preset is still "woofy" to you (and raise the Cab low cut higher). ARES puts in some nice fuller bass in for sure!

• It was fun re-discovering some of these amps!
  • Axe-Fx II users -- Because your cabs are different, I have to do some tricky stuff to convert these and then assign user cabs - basically re-do them for all that have the limited factory cabs. So it will take longer, (maybe October?). Sorry, it just takes time to do this right. I'll do same approach -- get you first three banks out first.
  • Next.. I will try to get the last 3 banks (4, 5 and 6) and maybe bonus presets done later this month (or October worst case), but as promised tomorrow (Monday) afternoon I will add an UPDATED XL/XL+ 1000+ Dream Rigs download file with Banks 1, 2, 3 for ARES 1.03 to your accounts for download. I'll post again here when it's available.

I am also going to get an newsletter/email out in next few weeks, so everything knows the updates are in or coming... thanks again for your patience!
Thanks a lot Austin Buddy for your hard work once more in this last firmware to the Axe 2.
I’ve got one question.
I buy the version the Dream Rig 1000 with the firmware 10.01 there will be update or I must buy the last version Ares 1.03?
Thanks a lot one more time.
Cheers .

Thanks a lot Austin Buddy for your hard work once more in this last firmware to the Axe 2.
I’ve got one question.
I buy the version the Dream Rig 1000 with the firmware 10.01 there will be update or I must buy the last version Ares 1.03?
Thanks a lot one more time.
Cheers .
Good question, thanks. The next update (ARES) is free. I know it's the fourth. But ARES 1.03 is likely to be the last firmware update for the XL/XL+ is my guess, so I see no point in charging for it.

Speaking of which ... I just uploaded the first three UPDATED Banks for ARES 1.03 for the Xl and XL+ users. It's in your account now to download.

Back
Top Bottom