Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Has my first gig with the new presets and they worked great.I really notice the difference in the cleans and edge of breakup tones. I make song specific presets and what Really worked well was the leveling between heavy overdriven tone and cleans was excellent! By using the control switches you set up I could switch between my single coil Strat and my PRS with humbuckers easily. The boost for single coils worked great live....plus the solo boost worked on some solos. Other solos I would add a scene so I could add Delay and drive to a solo.

I have some other presets I bought that were a bit louder so I have to go back and level those to AB. otherwise just thought I would give some feedback to how they sounded live.

Thanks for posting this! It's a good reminder that all these Dream Rigs presets are made specifically to fit into a band context.

It's counter-intuitive, but often a big fat glorious tone by itself at home does not sound great in a multi-instrument band situation. These are made to slot in nicely into a band mix, and it really makes me very happy to hear that you guys are happy using these live on stage with your bands and they slot in and sound great as I designed them to be.

Thank you thegrizman! Now I'm going back to work on the forthcoming 250+ Dream Rigs Bass TonePack...:)

I'm now into day two of exploring Dream Rigs for the Axe FX II. In a word, this is stunning- SO much to fall in love with here!! I am especially grateful for all the time you've devoted to making this so accessible- explaining your concept, the step-by-step "how-to's", the extensive video library, and even checklists. It makes me not only want to play more, but to understand more and to explore more confidently.

One question- It makes sense as you've said that "Axe-FX II or XL or XL+ users will have to make your own foot controller assignments in your MFC 101 or other controller to take full advantage of the on-board boosts, Amp X/Y, PEQ or filters before amps to offer tonal variations, and effects blocks X/Y." But I was wondering, since I'm planning on starting from scratch anyway with my MFC in conjunction with Dream Rigs, have you used an MFC with this pack and, if so, would there be a map you'd be willing to share for reference showing where you chose to assign things?

I have many preset packs that I've purchased and love, but for me, this is the best sounding and accessible pack yet- thank you!!

Thanks for posting this! It's a good reminder that all these Dream Rigs presets are made specifically to fit into a band context.

It's counter-intuitive, but often a big fat glorious tone by itself at home does not sound great in a multi-instrument band situation. These are made to slot in nicely into a band mix, and it really makes me very happy to hear that you guys are happy using these live on stage with your bands and they slot in and sound great as I designed them to be.

Thank you thegrizman! Now I'm going back to work on the forthcoming 250+ Dream Rigs Bass TonePack...:)

The leveling is the key!!! Allows me to use so many more amps in a live situation than I could before. Watch the videos... your AX8 May sound great because you have certain go to presets, but if you don’t set the output 1 correctly you are not maximizing the device. I am getting edge of breakup sounds I never got before... more string articulation.

Well bcp ... it really is to taste. Some people like to use scenes, which I would definitely do if I were performing specific songs in a band (which I'm not right now). If you are, I'd recommend doing presets named/based on the set list/songs and use scenes to switch stuff on and off. Some bottom four rows would be presets, middle four rows would be scenes 1,2,3, 4, and top row might be drive pedal or stuff you might add on the fly.

Right now when I play here in studio or with my friends, I like to grab any effect on the fly depending on how I feel. Here's a shot of my MFC-101 layout. I made this AFTER I did the Axe-Fx Dream Rigs - it was not the original way I had it. The bottom 4 foot switches default to Presets 1 to 4 unless I hit "reveal" then I can access the labeled values.

I use the top two buttons for CS2 and CS1... the "Up" and "Down" will soon come off mine, but that is the Output Block VOL +1/-1db in case I need to re-adjust a preset. The "single coil kicker/ SC BOOST" (Input Trim) is the silver button at top, and red button next to it is the Amp Boost/PAB. Amp X/Y is on far left. I'm still working on it all...unlike the AX8, I can't access everything that has X/Y in this setup -- not enough foot switches!

I also bought some years back the left side attached 4-button extension after I saw Dweezil Zappa had one...it was made in Israel but not sure if they are made any more, it hooks into the four foot switches (but no LEDs).

IMG_8915.jpg

I also use four expression pedals....mine are Exp1 Wah/pitch, Exp 2 is speed (like phaser or rotary), Exp 3 was originally my Wah but is now Volume, and Exp 4 is my 'wild card." I use to use that attached to amp drive, or for delays/wet.

I also use a Teese REMC3 wah and sometimes a Supa Quack.... and I have a few real-life pedals in front, mainly fuzz stuff since that avoids the Axe-Fx buffer....

image1.jpeg

Last edited:
One question I have is most Austin Buddy patches have the wah toe down as the controller. How do I change my expression pedal to a volume control instead and get rid of the wah? I know the volume pedal still works until I am toe down but some patches I don't want the wah at all. Do I have to add a volume pedal in the block chain? Thanks!

One question I have is most Austin Buddy patches have the wah toe down as the controller. How do I change my expression pedal to a volume control instead and get rid of the wah? I know the volume pedal still works until I am toe down but some patches I don't want the wah at all. Do I have to add a volume pedal in the block chain? Thanks!

There are a few ways to do this, but the easiest way is for you to move your single expression pedal to the Pedal2 jack, not Pedal1. The wah is still there but attached to pedal 1 jack - since it sees no pedal, it won’t come on.

Then go look at my Ax8 hardware set up video. You can globally assign pedal 2 output to control either the volume coming in (before amp) or at the end of the preset chain.

Last edited:
There are a few ways to do this, but the easiest way is for you to move your single expression pedal to the Pdl2 jack, not one. The wah is still there but attached to pedal 1 jack - since it sees no pedal, it won’t come on.

Then go look at my Ax8 hardware set up video. You can globally assign pedal 2 output to control either the volume coming in (before amp) or at the end of the preset chain.

OK great thanks!

Wah and volume control are separate things. Delete the wah block if you don't need it. If you need a volume control then either add a volume block and have it controlled by an external pedal or follow the manual on how to setup a global volume control using an external pedal.

I’m just about to purchase these for my Axe-Fx II XL - have I missed the introductory price window?

For the AX8 and XL, yes. Those were on introductory sale for three weeks in December. The Mark II is still on sale because it did not get released until January and I want to be fair to the owners of those units and also give them an introductory sales price for same period of time. Thanks.

I just purchased the pack and I have a question.
Is there an easy way to see which presets needs which cabs?
I already have cabs installed in the u20-u33 spots.

I just purchased the pack and I have a question.
Is there an easy way to see which presets needs which cabs?
I already have cabs installed in the u20-u33 spots.
Look at the ReadMe folder included. There is a preset list with Cab locations, anything with a "U" is a user cab. After you assess that, you might decide it's easier to re-do you own cabs to a new place and save than try to re-do all these preset cab assignments though...

A big thumbs up for the effects blocks in the pack. I have always had difficulty dialing in Wah's. You have so many nice choices and I have found a couple I really dig! I changed to the toe up off setting, dialed back the high sweep range, and I am there! Wow! Very Cool! Thanks AB!

I just buy the Dream Rig Pack 1000 and resolve a very problems with questions in FOH. It counts every penny . Thanks a lot to Austin Buddy... I just play a couple presets and are amazing.
Thanks once more.

Customer appreciation time...Got a nice email from Greg in Oregon, who said:

"Just wanted to send a quick note of thanks. I purchased your Dream Rigs pack yesterday and......WOW! I was on the fence about the purchase because I already own the Naked Amps pack, but I'm so glad I did.

I tried as hard as I could, but I wasn't able to get any of the patches to sound bad!! Every patch is stunning. Minimal tweaking for my personal preferences and I now have the best sounding rig I have ever had in 35 years of playing. I can't say thank you enough. Keep up the great work!"

Thank you Greg!

I am a bit of a high gain player. I just finished going through all of the high gain amps. First I changed all of the noise gates to one of the regular ones, no djent for me. I have to say
"371 DiezelHrbe: Rhythm.SS" is killer!!!
"377 QRod Plexi: Lowr /y" covers a lot of ground. Especially if you change the cab to something like "F057 4x12 Mar PR-H55 Full (OH)", or what I am using which is a Creamback alnico zilla cab from ML. With the more vintage sounding cab, and even lower gain in Y (only change I made) it can cover a lot of styles, and it sounds killer!!! So far my favourite by far!!

I am a bit of a high gain player. I just finished going through all of the high gain amps. First I changed all of the noise gates to one of the regular ones, no djent for me. I have to say
"371 DiezelHrbe: Rhythm.SS" is killer!!!
"377 QRod Plexi: Lowr /y" covers a lot of ground. Especially if you change the cab to something like "F057 4x12 Mar PR-H55 Full (OH)", or what I am using which is a Creamback alnico zilla cab from ML. With the more vintage sounding cab, and even lower gain in Y (only change I made) it can cover a lot of styles, and it sounds killer!!! So far my favourite by far!!

What regular gate are you referring too? I am having a problem with some gates I use that unless I play hard the note doesn’t sustain. Do you have some go to settings?

A lot of the high gain presets have a very aggressive noise gate that I personally didn’t like at all. If you go to the gate settings there are some presets that are in the pack. I’ll check which ones I used, and post it later. It is pretty much the standard AB gate. I used axedit to bulk change all of the high gain presets. If I find any of the ones I like feedback too much I’ll up the gate settings.

Back
Top Bottom