Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
I just bought an AX8 and a powercab plus 112. Does this tonepack erase the factory settings?

See this video to learn how to use Preset Manager.

Here's another one that may help on using Fractal software to backup:

Hope that helps you understand the concepts. The concepts generally all work across AX8, Axe-Fx and AxE-Fx III, with some differences for the AX8 since it has 16 sub-banks of 8 as "one" 128 preset bank compared to one bank of 128 presets in the Axe-FX.

@austinbuddy

This preset in the single-coil bank...
*BF Prince: Med. /y

The 'kicker' switch works in the wrong direction (higher gain when 'on', which is not how the other single-coil bank presets work).

Thanks for letting me know, I'll check that out... easy to fix, just reverse the Min/MAX values in the controller window and save the preset... had to do all this manually over 700 presets so not surprised if one didn't take...

Spent the day goin through more of this collection. Wow, the high gain bank is really good. Lots of character and unique sounds from all the amps represented (or at least the ones I went through). Satriani and EJ stuff is solid, Mesa boogies recto’s Will bring a smile to your face.And some of those other amps were a total surprise to me - I’m not a serious high gain player, but those immediate cutoff sounds are cool. This is such a quantum leap over the naked 700 series - my rig is singing with these presets.

I will add that I use a plug-in from Valhalla that pairs great with a lot of this stuff - It’s the Vintage Verb. For jazz, blues, almost anything, I keep sending it though this plug-in.

Luther
Awesome. I sometimes use an EMT 140 Plate in my UAudio console setup similarly as effects send -- sounds killer!

@Murdox - I'm going through the user manual now and there's a section near the end on how to assemble your own "dream rig" from presets. There's some good tips on how to audition everything. I'm definitely going to sit down and spin through the presets this weekend in order as recommended.

The other thing I want to do is clean up my user cabs. He recommends trying aftermarket impulses with the presets as well. I've got probably 100,000 IR's on my computer and I've got some that I like quite a bit. Because the presets use impulses from U20 - U33 (give or take), I'm going to use those first 19 user slots for my favorite IR's. Going to try and keep it to about 5-10 of my current favorites for each main style (Marshall 4x12, V30 4x12, AC30-ish alnico, Fender Twin/Deluxe, etc).

Jarick, that's great advice for Murdox.

You guys can audition via foot switches, or another way is to use the Preset Manager and "pin it open" (upper right icon) by clicking that Pin icon -- and your preset list will stick. Then you just cursor to check out all loaded presets, while the full list stays open and onscreen in AX8-Edit.

In most Dream Rig presets, Cab Y is not used at all, which gives you a great place to try out 3rd party IRs without messing up the original factory cab assigned in Cab X. There are presets that will definitely sound even better using 3rd party IRs for the type of music you play. All part of your own customized Dream Rigs assembly process!

You got this!!!

The way you have this set up is perfect for me. I tend to pick random amps on gig night that I know are in the parameters of a sound I’m looking for. This forces me to use my ear, fingers and guitar controls to get me where I need to be. I find it wakes me up and doesn’t let me play robotically through the songs. Sort of forces you to live in the moment. The fact that you have added so many different ways to add tone on the fly using a logical and consistent system on the foot controls is a life saver.
Originally I was on the fence about buying this product. Wasn’t sure I could see the value in the way it was laid out. Now I get it.
Awesome! Appreciate you getting what I did here. Tried to think about how I would use it on stage and all those little Kicker Coils and Boosts and getting between Clean and Scream easy for each amp...thanks for the feedback!

@austinbuddy

This preset in the single-coil bank...
*BF Prince: Med. /y

The 'kicker' switch works in the wrong direction (higher gain when 'on', which is not how the other single-coil bank presets work).

Confirming this: For the SINGLE COIL BANK, two presets -- the *BF Prince Medium and *BF Prince High both have the kicker coil OFF by mistake. To fix this, just go into the Amp Block, Click INPUT TRIM, and right click. Then Change the START from 0 to 100, and the END from 100 to 0. Then Save - that will fix it for each. Thanks JRFarmer for catching this.

I do have a question - all the levels and performance were perfect except the EJrhythm preset. It was running at 86-88% CPU, and exhibiting frequent digital artifacts. Any suggestion on how to combat, tweak, with of course trying to maintain that sound!

Thanks,
Luther

Luther -- good catch on CPU being high....I don't use my Axe-FX as an audio device and so any presets I made with CPU over 84% (only a handful) for people that do use it as audio device too can overload the CPU.

Here's a fix: On the EJ Dirty preset, change the REVERB Quality from HIGH to Normal first.

You can then either do one of the following, your choice/what sounds best to you:

1. loose the Compressor/delete it, OR

2. Test both flangers and keep the one you like, delete the other one, OR

3. Change the Cab from STEREO ULTRA-RES to just STEREO.

Thanks for calling to my attention. Frankly I'm happier with the EJ Clean and EJ Lead presets more than this EJ Dirty preset, which is based on a Steel String Singer, the amp tone with drive is close but still not perfect to my ears...

Confirming this: For the SINGLE COIL BANK, two presets -- the *BF Prince Medium and *BF Prince High both have the kicker coil OFF by mistake. To fix this, just go into the Amp Block, Click INPUT TRIM, and right click. Then Change the START from 0 to 100, and the END from 100 to 0. Then Save - that will fix it for each. Thanks JRFarmer for catching this.

Glad I could help. I'm sure you're getting plenty of feedback, I wonder if you're planning to update the zip file on your site with this and any other fixes you may have made?

@austinbuddy

Any suggestions on a Santana amp? I'm covering "The Game of Love" for a show on Valentines. I've tried the Mesa's and not had good luck? A couple of your Marshalls are close. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Great pack BTW!

@austinbuddy

Any suggestions on a Santana amp? I'm covering "The Game of Love" for a show on Valentines. I've tried the Mesa's and not had good luck? A couple of your Marshalls are close. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Great pack BTW!

The Mesa Boogies can be hard to dial in. Try the Dumbles or Bludotone Ojai. Keep the treble low and overdrive gain over 4. On a neckpickup with stage volume you should be able to get that note feedback that sustains for days.

The Mesa Boogies can be hard to dial in. Try the Dumbles or Bludotone Ojai. Keep the treble low and overdrive gain over 4. On a neckpickup with stage volume you should be able to get that note feedback that sustains for days.

I'll give them a try! Any recommendations on a drive? I think Carlos uses a Pete Cornish and a Tube Screamer?

I'll give them a try! Any recommendations on a drive? I think Carlos uses a Pete Cornish and a Tube Screamer?

Try and get there without a drive... if you want a drive, then use an transparent style overdrive... I like the FET Boost myself...

So I bought this a few weeks ago and went through the process of playing most of the amp types. I totally re worked my live setup, as I set my AX8 up by song. I am using Austin Buddys method of CS1 CS2 instead of scenes for most patches. But I did add scenes for some songs when I need to add delay to a solo or more drive, otherwise Buddy's system works better for me. It gives me a few tonal variances on the fly with my Strat,Tele ,or PRS I use live. First things first:

Go through the instructional videos.....set you AX8 up the right way! Once I backed up and did a system reset and used these patches they were way better than anything I had before. The AX8 always sounded great, but the cleans are fantastic now and so are edge of breakup tones. i actually really like the AC-15 and AC-30 that I never bonded with. I had problems with digital distortion on some presets and now that I go +4db/ Output 1 at 11;30 it is perfect.

Amps I really like:

Blankendship Leeds Med
Dumble Med
Satch cleans and lead patches.
USA Clean squishy
DC 30
AC 15
Carr Roamer
many more!

Saved me a ton of time, all I did was change out delays to some of my favorites, plus some of the drives.

I just bought an AX8 and a powercab plus 112. Does this tonepack erase the factory settings?

You have to load them manually, so you can put the presets anywhere. There's instructions to back everything up too, and I think you can download factory presets to overwrite if you want.

How do you like the Powercab Plus with the AX8?

Jarick, that's great advice for Murdox.

You guys can audition via foot switches, or another way is to use the Preset Manager and "pin it open" (upper right icon) by clicking that Pin icon -- and your preset list will stick. Then you just cursor to check out all loaded presets, while the full list stays open and onscreen in AX8-Edit.

In most Dream Rig presets, Cab Y is not used at all, which gives you a great place to try out 3rd party IRs without messing up the original factory cab assigned in Cab X. There are presets that will definitely sound even better using 3rd party IRs for the type of music you play. All part of your own customized Dream Rigs assembly process!

You got this!!!

That was a great tip to pin the Preset Manager tab!

I spent the weekend tinkering with guitars and didn't get as much time to play with these as I hoped. I put a set of Thornbuckers in my Les Paul and swapped the bridge pickup for a Thornbucker Plus. Sounds awesome with these presets, 50's PAF vibe. Then I was tinkering with my Strat trying some noiseless pickups and a humbucker bridge but it wasn't happening at all, so I swapped back over to true single coils and will use some of the single coil patches for that guitar. Last one was an ASAT Special where I had some custom P90's wound for it but it sounded dull, so I swapped the 250k volume pot for a 500k and that opened it up a bit. I think I'll do the tone as well as I wouldn't mind an even brighter sound as well.

That will give me a lot different guitars with distinct voices:

PRS with hot/fat PAF's
Les Paul with vintage PAF's
ASAT with P90's
Strat with single coils
Mira (SG/Special) with modern humbuckers
Tele with single coils

You have to load them manually, so you can put the presets anywhere. There's instructions to back everything up too, and I think you can download factory presets to overwrite if you want.

How do you like the Powercab Plus with the AX8?

It sounds great to me. So far I have only used the Powercab + in the flat setting. I'm curious what the CLR sounds like in comparison.

That was a great tip to pin the Preset Manager tab!

I spent the weekend tinkering with guitars and didn't get as much time to play with these as I hoped. I put a set of Thornbuckers in my Les Paul and swapped the bridge pickup for a Thornbucker Plus. Sounds awesome with these presets, 50's PAF vibe. Then I was tinkering with my Strat trying some noiseless pickups and a humbucker bridge but it wasn't happening at all, so I swapped back over to true single coils and will use some of the single coil patches for that guitar. Last one was an ASAT Special where I had some custom P90's wound for it but it sounded dull, so I swapped the 250k volume pot for a 500k and that opened it up a bit. I think I'll do the tone as well as I wouldn't mind an even brighter sound as well.

That will give me a lot different guitars with distinct voices:

PRS with hot/fat PAF's
Les Paul with vintage PAF's
ASAT with P90's
Strat with single coils
Mira (SG/Special) with modern humbuckers
Tele with single coils

Every once in a while I'm going to post here about a specific amp that may be overlooked or lost in the sea of 263 amps/channels...

Today to start the New Year, that amp is the "6G4 Super" which is a Fender Brownface Super Reverb, paired with it's Factory Cab 22, the Brown Super M160. That IR is PERFECT for this amp.

This is a pretty magic amp with humbuckers, for vintage clean to crunch. You could literally dime the gain and run everything from your guitar's volume and get so many tones --all good. It has that lower mids goodness that BlackFace amps lack. I could totally do a standard rock (not modern metal!) or blues gig with just this one amp and varying the gain.

Check it out!

Every once in a while I'm going to post here about a specific amp that may be overlooked or lost in the sea of 263 amps/channels...

Today to start the New Year, that amp is the "6G4 Super" which is a Fender Brownface Super Reverb, paired with it's Factory Cab 22, the Brown Super M160. That IR is PERFECT for this amp.

This is a pretty magic amp with humbuckers, for vintage clean to crunch. You could literally dime the gain and run everything from your guitar's volume and get so many tones --all good. It has that lower mids goodness that BlackFace amps lack. I could totally do a standard rock (not modern metal!) or blues gig with just this one amp and varying the gain.

Check it out!

Check it out!
Funny you mention that. Last night I decided to start re-reading Yek's amp guide, and when I got to the description of that model I thought to myself: "self, we need to revisit this amp" :)

Back
Top Bottom