Legacy Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy DREAMRIGS 1000+TonePack for AX8 and Axe-FX Mark II/XL/XL+

Third party presets or preset packs for sale for legacy Fractal Audio products.
Actually there's a better way to do it. Two words : macro recorder. but you need to be creative about how you set it up. I used it a lot on my amp packs. Sometimes, the macro would run for more than half a day, while I was watching some TV series, pretending I was working and feeling good about it.

Reactions: yek
Killer amp of the day: Bank 1, Friedman Hairy Brown Eye C45 -- Medium Gain, Amp Y (Fat switch on), with P90 Les Paul or Strats w/CS2, instant Audley Freed "Cry of Love" band/album era tones.

It really is, Austin! I downloaded your patches yesterday and that one immediatley landed on my "short-list" of main patches. I play it with my PRS CE24, & Suhr PT Buckers and it sounds great.

This is another (even better) great set of tones, Austin Buddy. Although I would have liked to get a little more repeat customer consideration, the time you put into this shows. I have only tried the gig presets and they sound so good it's hard to move on and audition more. Now the hard part is going to be narrowing it down to the few among these many great choices to use. It's going to be a challenge. Thanks for providing that.

So just to clarify,.. It says these are dialed in for "Live" use using a CLR.. I do have a CLR, but primarily run direct and us IEM's for monitoring... I'm assuming these would translate fairly well? (I do notice a bit of difference when between presets I've set up for the CRL vs. Direct...?)

Thanks
Rick

Another home run from Austin Buddy ! I bought the original 700 pack when it came out for Q8 and been gigging and recording with it ever since.
Really like the layout of this new pack. Especially the trim control which allows the preset to be used for both single coils and humbuckers. And so easy to load it all up into my AX8, take it to the jam room and audition them at the right volume with just the footswitches. Bank up or down and then hit switch 3 for med gain or switch 1 for cleans etc... very intuitive.

The 700 pack had the amps dialed in for it's primary use case and the rest was sort of upto the user.... It was good enough, but this pack has 4 levels of gain for each amp.. and it is really helpful to easily pick out a sound for say an edge of breakup tone that I might need... instead of adding in drives , boosting and adjusting BMT again, I just switch into a properly dialed amp at the desired gain level. I'm re-discovering amps that I had discarded earlier since I did not dial it in properly at a different gain level.

Amp of the day: Try Bank 1, the 1970 Plexi: Low and 1970 Plexi: Med. -- Jimmy Page stuff. Try the BOOST on the low. This is his live tone, like at Madison Square Garden...try the effects...

For those of you who also expressed an interest in an XL/XL+ Dream Rigs version, the good news is I'm halfway through fixing the Control Switches for an XL/XL+ version. I'll be done by Friday with all six+ banks with that part. I've had to reassign Ext. 1 to Ext. 11 and Ext.2 to Ext. 12 manually, preset by preset...tedious but necessary.

On your MFC 101 foot controller you are going to want to set up an IA foot switch for the Kicker Coil (assign the IA not to effects block, (set to NONE) but instead on next page set IA to CC #27)... and the Amp Boost (assign to CC#26)....plus an AMP X/Y (assign to CC#100) and perhaps a Scene 1/2 switch.... I personally put my Kicker and Boost in IA 16 and IA17 at the top of the MFC101.

Also set your MFC 101 bank size to 4 instead of 5, and assign Tap Tempo to IA5, then set tuner to come on when TEMPO is held.

Plus be able to access Drive Block1, Drive Block 1XY, sometimes Drive Block 2, Phaser plus Phaser X/Y, Chorus + XY, Rotary XY, Delay + Delay X/Y, Reverb, Tremolo and XY, Filter with X/Y and PEQ, and for some presets flanger and pitch shifter.... So you will run out of MFC101 foot switch room real quick, may have to use "Reveal" function. One way the AX8 has advantage over mFC101 is those X/Y functions. Wah still assigned to Ext1 pedal. Of course, if you choose presets you can instead just set up Scenes per preset and use those...

The blocks library for XL/XL+ version is what will delay/ take awhile and may hold up release of the XL/XL+ version until after the holidays - not sure yet. I have to recreate all that manually too, don't think you can port blocks between AX8 and XL as I recall (will re-test that).

But it will come together, and while the AX8 version sale expires on 12/31 at midnight Austin time, I'll make sure the XL/XL+ version has the same introductory $79 price for about the same length of time (roughly 21 days) as the AX8 did before it goes to normal price of $99.

I have A/B'd some identical setting presets between AX8 and XL. There is a slight volume discrepancy across all presets I fixed across all presets, so both versions will have same output levels/equivalent.

But I have to say (and hate to say), to my ears, the XL/XL+ Dream Rigs version presets do sound even better than they do on the AX8. It's richer and fuller on the XL/XL+. Not by a ton, but noticeable to me in A/B'ing through the same Atomic Neo CLR. If I had to do a major gig, I'd probably use my XL and MFC101 over the AX8...then again, I like the AX8 compactness and foot switch X/Y capability, so maybe not! :)

I am no expert, but would suggest that noticeable difference may be the XL's larger CPU power compared to AX8's lower CPU power in processing Fractal's version of Quantum 10.01 which is inspired by the Axe-Fx III ARES firmware...the software may not be exactly the same...

Hey Austin, Bought the pack and great work from your neighbor in San Antonio..... Quick question, can you point me in the direction of which presets on your Dream Pack to start with to get the sounds close to Satriani, Journey, Van Halen, and GnR.... (yup stuck in the 80's sound) Thanks, Ben

Hey Austin, Bought the pack and great work from your neighbor in San Antonio..... Quick question, can you point me in the direction of which presets on your Dream Pack to start with to get the sounds close to Satriani, Journey, Van Halen, and GnR.... (yup stuck in the 80's sound) Thanks, Ben

In Bank 1, try the Joe Satriani Marshall JVM amp for those Satch tones... the Atomic, Brown Plexi....or in Bank 3 the 5150 and EVH amps for Van Halen...

Any good modern Marshall for the other ones (there is a GNR AFD amp model I think in the Extras)...I am also now a big fan of the Splawn JCM800 QRod/QMod amps in Bank 3...Hope that helps!

Hi, Austin.

A couple days ago I tried to buy the package with credit card payment method the transactions were unsuccessful, i tried twice. There were always notifications said something like I needed to alter the payment method. I thought I inserted payer details correctly.

Hi, Austin.

A couple days ago I tried to buy the package with credit card payment method the transactions were unsuccessful, i tried twice. There were always notifications said something like I needed to alter the payment method. I thought I inserted payer details correctly.

Hi Dedy: If you create a PayPal account tied to your card that should work. The ecommerce system is automated and will decline some cards in a manner beyond my control.

A fix to know

In going through the Dream Rigs presets one-by-one to make an XL/XL+ version, I noticed that this preset in Extras Bank A had the wrong noise gate (it has as heavy one for metal).

Plexi50W: Med.(y/Hi1)

If you use that, please set that to Classic Noise gate default -80db and 2.0 ratio, and you should be fine. Sorry about that.

Hi everyone!

EDIT: As of 11-2019, The 1000+ Dream Rigs TonePack has been fully updated for ARES 2.0 firmware compatibility for the Axe-Fx XL/XL+ and Mark II/Original. The latest versions are now available in the downloads area of your account on my website.

You can find more information about it here. There is also a six-part video of it (oriented to the AX8 but concepts applicable to the XL/XL+ or Axe-FX II) on my YouTube channel and my website.

We'll get some video reviews going, but needless to say, if you like your 700+ Naked Amps TonePack for the Axe-Fx, you will LOVE the Dream Rigs 1000+ Tonepack for the Axe-Fx! These were dialed in for LIVE playing mainly but can be used for recording too.

It was designed and dialed in on firmware Quantum 10.01 which is based on the famed ARES software used on the Axe-Fx III platform. Have noticed that the XL/XL+ and Axe-Fx version of identically set presets do sound better than the AX8 preset version, likely to due to increased processing power of the Axe-Fx.

I dialed most everything in on a single Atomic NEO CLR that sat 10-12 feet away turned up to 2:00 on both input and output. I wanted these presets to be things you or I could use on stage. I had a few beta team testers as well who likewise took them out to play loud in open spaces...

There are six banks of presets spanning most every amp model, with 112 presets per bank (and some empty work spaces for you in each bank). Most presets are specifically designed to have a humbucker or single coil setting (explained in the videos), plus one of the six banks is a "single coils only" bank.

Each amp has four presets: clean, low-gain, medium gain or rhythm, and hi-gain or lead. There is a modern metal bank that dispenses with the cleans in some cases. I had a metal-style guitar expert here in Austin help me dial some of those amps like the ENGL, Diezel VH4, 5150 and others using his detuned PRS guitar and it Djents -- and it kills.

There is an effects block library and effects assigned in each preset. There are 14 User Cabs included mostly from my own produced Cab Packs plus one mix IR from a RedWirez Big Box collection (that was also included in the 700+ Naked Amps Pack). The Axe-FX version contains a few more User Cab IRs.

Unlike the AX8 version that has pre-made foot switch assignments, Axe-FX II or XL or XL+ users will have to make your own foot controller assignments in your MFC 101 or other controller to take full advantage of the on-board boosts, Amp X/Y, PEQ or filters before amps to offer tonal variations, and effects blocks X/Y.

The concept here is to make it easier for you to audition and find your favorites clean sounds, low gain, rhythm, and high gain or lead tones to assemble your very own Dream Rig(s). Let me know what questions you have.

You'll enjoy this one!!

Dream-Rigs-Mk-II-Art.jpg

Last edited:
If you’ve played with the AX8 version of the Dream Rigs pack, you know these are killer. If you’ve never played with the AX8 version... these are killer. :)

Back
Top Bottom