Austin Buddy's packs... Should we have both of them?

kmachman

Inspired
I just purchased the Live Gold pack (great purchase BTW) and am wondering if i would get anything extra out of purchasing the naked amps pack as well. Does anyone else have both? Do you benefit from having them both? Id hate to spend $130 CDN on something that would be redundant.

TIA

im odd man out then.i bought for the axe 3 live gold first i like naked amps a lot more .any way i can get naked amps for the ax8?

So, a little history that help explain the differences between the two Tonepacks, to answer the OPs' question.

1400+ Naked Amps was literally created on firmware 1 for the III, and has been updated multiple times since. Each preset uses two amps and one or two cabs in each preset, which allows for 8 different amp tones. It also lets you use up to four cabs per Cab channel, unlike the FM9 and FM3. It also now includes a looper in each preset as well as a post-cab compressor (unless CPU gets too high).

When I made the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack, I used my CLRs -- but as studio monitors, NOT as a live gig loud sound. I wanted to get a collection of studio-quality "base amp" tones for recording, that touched every amp model/channel available, and also wanted to, scene by scene, try different factory cab IRs on different amps to get different tonal shades.

I basically dialed stuff until I got inspired to play the sound, hit save, then rinse and repeat 1400+ sounds, and used a Strat and Tele on some sounds (thus I use "*" in preset name, to indicate something was made specifically for a single coil).

I also had some fun naming the presets for the kind of sounds they evoked -- like, melter, scooped, gritty, hairy, plus allusions to specific songs or band names - a lot people like that aspect of it.

I also made it thinking it would only be good on a III, but it also works on an FM9 and now I have a version of that included (but as of June 12, we are waiting for a FM9 firmware 2.03 public release before people can use it, I saved it on a beta firmware I was testing).

While Naked Amps weren't originally designed for playing live through FRFRs, they are still used that way. Trent Reznor's people for example contacted me and NIN is using some Naked Amps sounds live on an upcoming tour. He has the Naked Amps installed on his studio Axe-FX III. (No, this is NOT some official endorsement by him). Naked Amp presets are also installed on Fractal units in TrueFire's filming studio in Florida and in Nashville's RCA recording studio or satellites.

In a way, Naked Amps is a more creative product - I was going where my ears led me, looking for inspiration, when I dialed those amps in, rather than trying to produce a linear clean to rhythm to lead sound.

When I made the 1000+ LiveGold TonePack, it was a different approach altogether. I had my CLR's about 10-12 feet away from me, turned up loud, and approximated what I would play it gig volume-wise (at least over 92db = "loud" on db meter). That defeats Fletcher-Munson curve effect. I then kind of used the Dream Rigs preset design approach from the AX8/Axe-FX II.

Here, I specifically designed LiveGold presets that would work the same across an FM3, FM9, and III (and could be ported from the III into each easily, to make future updates easier). The intent was for these to be used for live gigs (but also they work great for recording), using all the guitar amp channels available (but not bass amps).

Because they are for live use, you'll see the LiveGold presets will have a bit more mids and some bottom end (for cab simulation) -- but still tight. I try to make them balanced for a FOH mix engineer, so the sounds slot in well with drums/bass/keys and vocals.

I did each amp channel from clean (or low gain for metal amps) to mean or lead in four sounds for humbuckers in Scenes 1-4, and then adjust for single coils for scenes 5-8. I also could only use two cabs, so that focused my choices. I also include some effects “easter eggs” throughout.

The amp/cab pairing (and speaker impedance curve used) is also a big part of what I spend time on that is saving you time, but you can always try other cabs - some third party ones such as @York Audio really can make the presets sound even better.

There is a slight tonal overlap between the Naked Amps and Live Gold TonePacks- maybe 10-15% - but they are not the same presets.

Now, when I update either TonePack, I just use my ATC 25 SCMS pro audio mixing monitors.

If you are playing live, I'd recommend the LiveGold as the best choice.

But if you are primarily a home player and into recording and looking for inspiration and the widest variety sounds, then the 1400+ Naked Amps probably is more fun and useful. If your main guitar is a Strat or Tele, you may find a wider variety of those single coil very specific sounds in Naked Amps.

You can see how Cooper Carter went through all the Naked Amps presets from firmware 5 (that long ago!) in two YouTube videos he did here, and how he applied the various sounds to play 250+ different song snippets, as each in turn inspired him.

I:

II:

Hope that helps you guys understand the differences. They are both useful tools for your sonic arsenal. Enjoy!

Last edited:
So, a little history that help explain the differences between the two Tonepacks, to answer the OPs' question.

1400+ Naked Amps was literally created on firmware 1 for the III, and has been updated multiple times since. Each preset uses two amps and one or two cabs in each preset, which allows for 8 different amp tones. It also lets you use up to four cabs per Cab channel, unlike the FM9 and FM3. It also now includes a looper in each preset as well as a post-cab compressor (unless CPU gets too high).

When I made the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack, I used my CLRs -- but as studio monitors, NOT as a live gig loud sound. I wanted to get a collection of studio-quality "base amp" tones for recording, that touched every amp model/channel available, and also wanted to, scene by scene, try different factory cab IRs on different amps to get different tonal shades.

I basically dialed stuff until I got inspired to play the sound, hit save, then rinse and repeat 1400+ sounds, and used a Strat and Tele on some sounds (thus I use "*" in preset name, to indicate something was made specifically for a single coil.

I also had some fun naming the presets for the kind of sounds they evoked -- like, melter, scooped, gritty, hairy, plus allusions to specific songs or band names - a lot people like that aspect of it.

I also made it thinking it would only be good on a III, but it also works on an FM( and now I have a version of that included (but as of June 12, we are waiting for a FM( firmware 2.03 public release before people can use it, I saved it on a beta firmware I was testing).

While Naked Amps, weren't originally designed for playing live through FRFRs, but still, they are used that way. Trent Reznor's people for example contacted me and NIN is using some Naked Amps sounds live on an upcoming tour. He has the Naked Amps installed on his studio Axe-FX III. (No, this is NOT some official endorsement by him). Naked Amp presets are also installed on Fractal units in TrueFire's filming studio in Florida and in Nashville's RCA recording studio or satellites.

In a way, Naked Amps is a more creative product - I was going where my ears led me, looking for inspiration, when I dialed those amps in, rather than trying to produce a linear clean to rhythm to lead sound.

When I made the 1000+ LiveGold TonePack, it was a different approach altogether. I had my CLR's about 10-12 feet away from me, turned up loud, and approximated what I would play it gig volume-wise (at least over 92db = "loud" on db meter). That defeats Fletcher-Munson curve effect. I then kind of used the Dream Roughs approach from the AX8/Axe-FX II.

Here, I specifically designed LiveGold presets that would work the same across an FM3, FM9, and III (and could be ported from the III into each easily, to make future updates easier). The intent was for these to be used for live gigs (but also they work great for recording), using all the guitar amp channels available (but not bass amps).

Because they are for live use, you'll see the LiveGold presets will have a bit more mids and some bottom end (for cab simulation) -- but still tight. I try to make them balanced for a FOH mix engineer, so the sounds slot in well with drums/bass/keys and vocals.

I did each amp channel from clean (or low gain for metal amps) to mean or lead in four sounds for humbuckers in Scenes 1-4, and then adjust for single coils for scenes 5-8. I also could only use two cabs, so that focused my choices. I also include some effect easter eggs throughout.

The amp/cab pairing (and speaker impedance curve used) is also a big part of what I spend time on that is saving you time, but you can always try other cabs - some third party ones such as @York Audio really can make the presets even better.

There is a slight tonal overlap between the Naked Amps and Live Gold TonePacks- maybe 10-15% - but they are not the same presets.

Now, when I update either TonePack, I just use my ATC 25 SCMS pro audio mixing monitors.

But if you are primarily a home player and into recording and looking for inspiration and the widest variety sounds, then the 1400+ Naked Amps probably is more fun and useful.

You can see how Cooper Carter went through all the Naked Amps presets from firmware 5 (that long ago!) in two YouTube videos he did here, and how he applied the various sounds to play 250+ different song snippets, as each in turn inspired him.

I:

II:

Hope that helps you guys understand the differences. They are both useful tools for your sonic arsenal. Enjoy!

That’s good information!

I have both packs, and when I want to learn something I snoop around in them and find the sound I like then grab that particular block. I end up with Frankenstein presets that I eventually bend to my will. :)

I basically dialed stuff until I got inspired to play the sound, hit save, then rinse and repeat 1400+ sounds, and used a Strat and Tele on some sounds (thus I use "*" in preset name, to indicate something was made specifically for a single coil).

I also made it thinking it would only be good on a III, but it also works on an FM9 and now I have a version of that included (but as of June 12, we are waiting for a FM9 firmware 2.03 public release before people can use it, I saved it on a beta firmware I was testing).

While Naked Amps weren't originally designed for playing live through FRFRs, they are still used that way. Trent Reznor's people for example contacted me and NIN is using some Naked Amps sounds live on an upcoming tour. He has the Naked Amps installed on his studio Axe-FX III. (No, this is NOT some official endorsement by him). Naked Amp presets are also installed on Fractal units in TrueFire's filming studio in Florida and in Nashville's RCA recording studio or satellites.

When I made the 1000+ LiveGold TonePack, it was a different approach altogether. I had my CLR's about 10-12 feet away from me, turned up loud, and approximated what I would play it gig volume-wise (at least over 92db = "loud" on db meter). That defeats Fletcher-Munson curve effect. I then kind of used the Dream Rigs preset design approach from the AX8/Axe-FX II.

I did each amp channel from clean (or low gain for metal amps) to mean or lead in four sounds for humbuckers in Scenes 1-4, and then adjust for single coils for scenes 5-8. I also could only use two cabs, so that focused my choices. I also include some effects “easter eggs” throughout.

The amp/cab pairing (and speaker impedance curve used) is also a big part of what I spend time on that is saving you time, but you can always try other cabs - some third party ones such as @York Audio really can make the presets sound even better.

But if you are primarily a home player and into recording and looking for inspiration and the widest variety sounds, then the 1400+ Naked Amps probably is more fun and useful. If your main guitar is a Strat or Tele, you may find a wider variety of those single coil very specific sounds in Naked Amps.

I:

II:

Great info - makes me want to revisit the Naked Amps TonePack.

Back
Top Bottom