Austin Buddys Live Gold - Pack - Opinions, please ;-)

I wonder how this would be with a real 4-12 with the Cab Block turned off?

Did this the other night at practice. Used a JCM 800 loop for the power amp and the 4x12 cabinet at the studio. Used one of the Friedman HBE presets. It sounded great. Big, full, and loud. No issues.

Although instead of turning off cab block I just connected the output 2 line after amp block as setup in AB presets.

Yesterday I tried the FM 3 for the first time in our rehearsal studio and it sounded really good right out of the box.
I also tried Austin Buddys Fender SRV preset and it was way better than the factory presets after disabling the WAH-block which was always on.
Now I get the idea of saving time for not leveling every preset with the purchase of Austin Buddys pack as the factory presets have different levels.

In many factory presets I also had to tweak the EQ settings because the low end was way too much for example.

Are the Austin Buddys also tweaked in terms of good and practicable EQ settings or are they „only“ leveled?

I am getting close to hit the „purchase“ button but I have to be absolutely sure that it will be worth it as I will only use a few amp models at all and could also could spend some time for tweaking them on my own.

I have just seen the video of @austinbuddy and i need to say I like that guy, I never seen such a detailed overview to introduce something with really valid tips, just the time he took to make the video deserves some respect - I miss a bit of guitar playing to see how these fender or how these VOX sound tho.

I personally believe is slightly priced but hey the amount of time he has spent on that is crazy and needs to be paid and he is not offering only one preset so this is absolutely well deserved.

I am not sure if I will purchase it or not as is still a high value pack but for a damaged economy, but I insist - seems a very good and very well organised job.

Cheers

I purchased it the same day it came available. It was a game changer for my AX8 so I just bought it to please my FM3. My unit was already crying to get this pack.
This is worth every penny in my opinion, and a must have, although I must admit that most of factory presets (And free presets from great member there, Leon, Milo, burgs and many others) were awesome and enough for me.
But this pack insure we get the most of the amp with the right settings and paired cab.

The only thing I would preferred differently is the setting of the wha. I don't get why it is done like that, as if I want to work with my other presets I need manually to change the setting on the each AB patches. But that's really nothing to do, so I think I just get lazy.

My biggest problem now is to chose what preset I want to keep as main as I love almost all of them, hard to make a choice..

Please do yourself a huge favor and read the manual. At bare minimum, you will recognize this terminology used in the forum, and be able to go back to the manual to figure out what it means. More importantly, you will get much better enjoyment from the FM3 when you know how to use it.
I was not interested in the manual until my FM 3 arrived two days ago and just wanted to have a short answer/help.
This is one of the main goals of forums: helping each other 😉
Your answer was even longer than just explaining what CS2 means as another member did 🤷‍♂️😀

Reading the manual is not meant to be a replacement for the forum. Just as the forum is not a replacement for reading the manual.

The point is this: it's better to know how to fish than to beg for food. That's simply my advice to you.
Sometimes I am not patient enough, sorry 🤷‍♂️ 😊 I will study the manual as I also did with the AX 8, no worries about that 😊👍

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect everyone to completely read the manual and memorize everything in it before asking a simple question. If not, we'd be stuck with gear discussion forums where people could just politely help others. :D

@Den he asked a question, and received a polite answer. The forum works as expected. Based on the type of question he asked, I could tell he was new to Fractal, and so I politely suggested that reading the manual is a fruitful activity. Nobody said anything about expectations or memorization, and there's no need for your hyperbole.

I don't know why reading the manual is such a controversial topic. If I had suggested he watch some youtube videos, would y'all react as negatively to my suggestion?

@JRFarmer,

I hadn't noticed anything that suggested reading the manual is a controversial topic. As far as my response, it's called having fun (notice the smiley in my post), which to my knowledge, is also appropriate in this discussion forum. I found it amusing that a simple question to identify an abbreviated term turned into a life lesson regarding "begging for food" and "a fair helping of both honey and vinegar."

"hy·per·bo·le - exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally." I think there's almost always a need for some fun.

Back on topic, I'm looking forward to working with Austin Buddy's presets very soon!

Did this the other night at practice. Used a JCM 800 loop for the power amp and the 4x12 cabinet at the studio. Used one of the Friedman HBE presets. It sounded great. Big, full, and loud. No issues.

Although instead of turning off cab block I just connected the output 2 line after amp block as setup in AB presets.
@Habuman - thank you for sharing your experience, this is good to hear. I can’t really test it for this kind of application - I work with FRFRs -- but did set it up for the user to try. My worry is something running into a 4x12 expecting to get various cab sounds that those don't make with certain amps...bu you never know, that Supro amp can sound pretty killer into a real 4X12 I'm told...:cool:

Last edited:
Yesterday I tried the FM 3 for the first time in our rehearsal studio and it sounded really good right out of the box.
I also tried Austin Buddys Fender SRV preset and it was way better than the factory presets after disabling the WAH-block which was always on.
Now I get the idea of saving time for not leveling every preset with the purchase of Austin Buddys pack as the factory presets have different levels.

In many factory presets I also had to tweak the EQ settings because the low end was way too much for example.

Are the Austin Buddys also tweaked in terms of good and practicable EQ settings or are they „only“ leveled?

I am getting close to hit the „purchase“ button but I have to be absolutely sure that it will be worth it as I will only use a few amp models at all and could also could spend some time for tweaking them on my own.
The manual and my video cover this. There is a Hardware switchable global external 1 “initial value” setting that defaults to zero.

So if no pedal1 present, or if one is but it is set to "toe up" position (like spring loaded pedal), that will turn the wah on when you load a preset.

Just go into the hardware, and change that GLOBAL Initial External Controller 1 value from 0% to a new value of 100%. It's covered in the first part of my YouTube video tutorial. on the FM3 Live Gold TonePack and in the Release Notes/manual as well (under the WAH block section).

Problem solved for all presets with one adjustment if you have no pedal attached.

Last edited:
I purchased it the same day it came available. It was a game changer for my AX8 so I just bought it to please my FM3. My unit was already crying to get this pack.
This is worth every penny in my opinion, and a must have, although I must admit that most of factory presets (And free presets from great member there, Leon, Milo, burgs and many others) were awesome and enough for me.
But this pack insure we get the most of the amp with the right settings and paired cab.

The only thing I would preferred differently is the setting of the wha. I don't get why it is done like that, as if I want to work with my other presets I need manually to change the setting on the each AB patches. But that's really nothing to do, so I think I just get lazy.

My biggest problem now is to chose what preset I want to keep as main as I love almost all of them, hard to make a choice..
Change the global external controller 1 initial value from 0 to 100% and your issue is solved. I had decide between a toe down wah to turn off (like real ones) or a toe up wah. I chose the one that is most like the way a real wah works. Bound to please some, annoy others (with Springloaded) can’t be helped. But easy fixes.

Change the wah block for your spring loaded pedal (so off value in modifier becomes 5% and not the default 95% position) then save the block and just import it into any preset you want and save it with the preset. Easy to do.

Last edited:
I`m surprised there are no vids out yet demonstrating this Preset Pack.
Coming. Brett Kingman is working on one as I type. Cooper Carter may tackle doing one too. Guys this was just released last Friday night! Would have delayed it further if I had to shoot my own product demos.

By the way, I have never paid anyone to do these TonePack demo videos and none have ever asked me too- they are great human beings who love this stuff as we all do here, and truly deserve our thanks.

Back
Top Bottom