Austin Buddy Presets...a Review.

I have no more of his packs to buy! Waiting on him to get over retirement and whip out some new ones! ;)
I had to actually combine a bunch of his using a multiplexer...ah, the power of Turbo!
I scan the "Wish" forum everyday...everybody asking for one more pedal or one more amp...Give me 3 or 4 more User Banks for cabs and a few thousand more preset slots!

I have a +PlusPack nearly ready for release, but Cliff has flooded the firmware zone and the FM9 and FM3 have not yet caught up. Hopefully soon then can release. This one has all the new added 2023 amps with Dynacabs for LiveGold and Naked Amps plus a bank of cleans- only dialed in for Strats and Teles. Stay tuned for more info after the holidays!

I have a +PlusPack nearly ready for release, but Cliff has flooded the firmware zone and the FM9 and FM3 have not yet caught up. Hopefully soon then can release. This one has all the new added 2023 amps with Dynacabs for LiveGold and Naked Amps plus a bank of cleans- only dialed in for Strats and Teles. Stay tuned for more info after the holidays!
Awesome. I love your presets. They have taught me a lot about using the AxeFX, and how to approach tone crafting for live / studio.

Hi @mw19 - It’s just the guitar amp models - presets for each one, with four scenes for humbuckers and four with a boost for single coils. So look at the amp model list in your Fractal - that’s it (although I use the real amp names for the presets).
Thanks !! Makes sense now … what’s the benefit of your presets over existing preset models then ?

I purchased Austin Buddy’s presets. For several reasons. One: I’m a bit committed to making sure that shared presets do not infringe upon purchased presets...can only get that look if I have those presets. Two: I’ve always felt that the presets that come with the Axe are somewhat functional out of the box, but with a complex machine as we have here, any Guitarist should be able to just ‘plug and go’ with a myriad of amps and be completely satisfied (and blown away) with their tone. Three: I’m about supporting this community and those who contribute. Four: Bored and wanted to check something new.

After roughly a week with the presets, I can say they should be a required purchase for new users who do not care to spend a month in the intellectual gym learning every in and out of tone crafting. Caveat: You HAVE to know how to navigate and learn how to tweak…but this is trivial if you already have gig ready presets. He provides concise instructions on how to configure your levels to monitor, FOH, and DAW which are already in the preset.

On the tones (I have only loaded Bank 1 so far to get an opinion): If you can’t find close to your sound here, it doesn’t exist. I’ve thrown different guitars, PUP’s at this, and had excellent results. There are many redundancies here in scenes, and I’ll just focus on Marshall, AC30, and Fender tones, but with a bit of poking around, could nail everything in my playlists. From the Eagles to Green Day to ‘brootalz’ it was there. Granted, I needed to tweak here and there…addition of ‘verb, low cut on cabs to reduce ‘boomy’, add some sag; it was very little work. I’ve added WAH, changed up the drives, engaged and saved bypassed ‘verb as well as use my pedal to manage volume.

My litmus test was against my own presets. I preferred the AB presets over most of the amps I favor (or they were so close that the additional routing was preferable to my simplistic presets.) The exceptions were my Plexi 50 and JCM800 presets. This is not a small thing, as I’ve been at this a long time. That he has done the work to offer flexibility for various routings is huge.

IMO FAS should offer these pre-loaded for an additional fee. I understand how they would not want to go down that road business-wise.

A philosophical note: FAS is at a point where we have almost unlimited power at our fingertips to be able to craft tone, and pull sounds out of our head to pour into the box, but the ‘simple’ guitarist gets left behind in this endeavor. There is a vast audience out there that does not want to spend time RTFM, and wants to just play (yes, pendants, once you learn to navigate simple things.) These presets offer that to those folks. When neophytes are ready to move up to more advance functions, they can do it, but these offer a 'open the box, hook up, and go to the gig' options.

Short review. Wanted to give the guy a plug.

Enjoy.

R
Good report. I am new to the FAS, and I have been buying a few things because I want to benefit from the labor and knowledge of others and support them in the process. I am looking at AB now and will be moving forward with him as soon as I absorb a little more of what I already have purchased from the community.

Back
Top Bottom