FM9 Austin Buddy Live Gold Marshall tones vid

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
Finally got an AB pack and like many of the presets. Just spent about 1 1/2 hours with a few of the Marshall amps he set up and wow! I did adjust every one of them for my FRFR's, guitar, room and personal taste but it was nice to have a good starting point.

99.9% of the clips shared are through a DAW which is not always what it will sound like in your room at band volume through your FRFR and guitar. This is the first time I have gotten lower gain rock but still shred worthy Marshall tones with a good amount of string definition. Most amps load with a wash of gain and I end spending tons of time trying to get a decent tone only to end up with an ok preset -so close but so far away. So the $100 was worth it to give me some great tones to start then tweak from there!

Here is a short clip of what my live tone in the room is shaping up to be:

Last edited:
Glad you are digging' the LiveGold for the FM9 @cragginshred!

If you have the CPU ability, in the Cab block, go ahead and switch any used Cab IRs to Ultra Res mode and see what you think. Bottom end a little better that way, but I left the Cabs at Standard mode, due to CPU% use, to leave ya'll some room for other effects.

If you have the CPU ability, in the Cab block, go ahead and switch any used Cab IRs to Ultra Res mode and see what you think. Bottom end a little better that way, but I left the Cabs at Standard mode, due to CPU% use, to leave ya'll some room for other effects.
Hi Buddy, Any special LayOut for your LiveGold for FM9...such as for CS switching Amp Boost function?

I will do that thanks!
A couple questions -You have a filter on in some of the Marshall presets scenes. Is that acting as a High cut or?

Also you have one Cab Solo'd with the other muted on many. Why, just curious? Also I noticed you would mix a brighter cab with a slightly darker one -sounds good!

Last one, all the pre sets are very low in volume. Is the amp Level the best spot to just increase that to live volumes without changing the base tone too much?

Thanks!

Hi Buddy, Any special LayOut for your LiveGold for FM9...such as for CS switching Amp Boost function?
Adding on to this - I bought LiveGold for my FM9. I do see the folder “FM9 Layout” in my zip file. However, I didn’t see in the manual any mention of how that layout is configured and what all it does. @austinbuddy - do you have a write up or video that describes it so I can determine if I want to overwrite my OFM9G layout or not?

Adding on to this - I bought LiveGold for my FM9. I do see the folder “FM9 Layout” in my zip file. However, I didn’t see in the manual any mention of how that layout is configured and what all it does. @austinbuddy - do you have a write up or video that describes it so I can determine if I want to overwrite my OFM9G layout or not?
Okay - never mind. I decided to just import your FM9 All Layouts because I could always just reset if I didn’t like it.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but it basically…
  • is set up like OFM9G in general with Scenes / Effects / Presets at the top 3 switches
  • but at the Presets switch, there’s now a “hold” function that gets you to the Control Switches for boost, fat, saturate, etc. for the amps. Very cool!!
  • Effects still the same (hold for looper), but just renamed. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Thank you!

I will do that thanks!
A couple questions -You have a filter on in some of the Marshall presets scenes. Is that acting as a High cut or?

Also you have one Cab Solo'd with the other muted on many. Why, just curious? Also I noticed you would mix a brighter cab with a slightly darker one -sounds good!

Last one, all the pre sets are very low in volume. Is the amp Level the best spot to just increase that to live volumes without changing the base tone too much?

Thanks!

Hi @cragginshred:

1. The Filter block is my 'Kicker Coil" and comes on for any preset's Scenes 5-8. It helps single coil guitars hit the amp front as hard as humbuckers do, so they sound as good. But it is fine to use humbuckers with Scenes 5-8 too, as a boost.

2. Cab IR -- it all depends on the amp, some I use one Cab IR because that gets me what I want, other times I need two. I use two if I need to get the tone balanced to my liking.

3. The LiveGold presets are not low in volume, it all depends on how you have your playback system set up. As specified in the manual, I use the +4db in Audo Page (not -10db) that goes into my UAudio Apollo 8. and the Axe-Fx III or FM9's Output knob at 3:00.

My presets actually match most of the Fractal Factory presets, volume wise. They are set up to come in at an average -12db signal on a fader on a digital console, but peak out up to -9db. This is one reason people like them - they are leveled pretty consistently across all the amp models/presets.

But sure, if you have the 4-5 presets you like, you can just up the amp LEVEL volume on those to match your own playback system - just make sure that signal won't peak out too high to FOH and clip.

Just save the one you have, and then load the new one. You can always go back to your original.

I set mine up based on the original factory ALL Layouts, but modified with an CS2 to CS6 amp control dedicated layout page, plus on any scene, you can do HOLD and the CS2 Amp Boost comes on for easy access to that. Plus a few other things like Tuner/Tap.

Last edited:
Okay - never mind. I decided to just import your FM9 All Layouts because I could always just reset if I didn’t like it.

So correct me if I’m wrong, but it basically…
  • is set up like OFM9G in general with Scenes / Effects / Presets at the top 3 switches
  • but at the Presets switch, there’s now a “hold” function that gets you to the Control Switches for boost, fat, saturate, etc. for the amps. Very cool!!
  • Effects still the same (hold for looper), but just renamed. Is that correct or am I missing something here?

Thank you!
"Something like that." :cool:

@austinbuddy Couple of follow up questions.
One of my frustrations with modelers is I can get it sounding great thru my FRFR's then at a sound ck it sound this and shrill through a pa

Last night I took what I tweaked in the above video and went through my QSC K series pa as well as my Friedman asm 10 FRFR's and there was that same fairly shrill top end. I tried the find the balance by reducing the pa channel volume. I did not want to start adding eq to my channel in the pa unless I needed to.

So the question is: do you design these with just desk top monitors or through a or a few pa's too?

I guess I need to load the raw preset you made and hear it through my pa prior doing my changes to sound good through the FRFR's 1st??

Main adjustments are amount of bass and delays. Less bass through FRFR's = more string definition, but thin and trebly through pa

Thanks, Don!

@austinbuddy Couple of follow up questions.
One of my frustrations with modelers is I can get it sounding great thru my FRFR's then at a sound ck it sound this and shrill through a pa

Last night I took what I tweaked in the above video and went through my QSC K series pa as well as my Friedman asm 10 FRFR's and there was that same fairly shrill top end. I tried the find the balance by reducing the pa channel volume. I did not want to start adding eq to my channel in the pa unless I needed to.

So the question is: do you design these with just desk top monitors or through a or a few pa's too?

I guess I need to load the raw preset you made and hear it through my pa prior doing my changes to sound good through the FRFR's 1st??

Main adjustments are amount of bass and delays. Less bass through FRFR's = more string definition, but thin and trebly through pa

Thanks, Don!
This is what the global output parametric EQ is for - to “tune”
your gear to different PAs night to night. I shelve everything under 150Hz and do a 12db or so slope cut for anything above/around 3.3kHz (to taste) when going to most club or house PAs, and I very gently boost (less than 1db) with a wide Q around 500Hz. Try that. Play with it.

Will answer more later, not at laptop

This is what the global output parametric EQ is for - to “tune”
your gear to different PAs night to night. I shelve everything under 150Hz and do a 12db or so slope cut for anything above/around 3.3kHz (to taste) when going to most club or house PAs, and I very gently boost (less than 1db) with a wide Q around 500Hz. Try that. Play with it.

Will answer more later, not at laptop
Awesome info! I am very visual and this is such a critical topic, if you could do a short vid or a quick screen shot of what your describing would be immensely helpful!!!

Nothing worse than your tone being dialed in, then getting to a venue to have your heart sink when you hear the tone sound like crap in the house.

To clarify this only effects the pa and Not my tone I dialed for the FRFR's?

Thanks for any clarification when you get time!! :)

Last edited:
Awesome info! I am very visual and this is such a critical topic, if you could do a short vid or a quick screen shot of what your describing would be immensely helpful!!!

Nothing worse than your tone being dialed in, then getting to a venue to have your heart sink when you hear the tone sound like crap in the house.

To clarify this only effects the pa and Not my tone I dialed for the FRFR's?

Thanks for any clarification when you get time!! :)
Yes. The way I do it is to use Out1 to what I have on stage and Out2 to the PA or FOH, and put the PEQ in Global Out2 but leave Out1 Global EQ alone.

Back
Top Bottom