Austin buddy 12.03 Volume between Scenes

serge20261

Inspired
I’ll start by saying that these naked amp presets are awesome,however I’m struggling with volume levels,particularly for solos they are either way to loud or get lost in the mix.I use an atomic CLR,I keep the AXE 3 volume 1 at 1200 o’clock,the CLR is the main volume controller
is this the correct way ?

Levels between scenes and presets are handled internally. Adjust the amp block (it scenes use different channels) or Scene Levels in the Out block between scenes. The out knob and the CLR volume will not adjust levels between scenes for future performances.

I have the AB Naked Amps for the III as well and have found this to be the case occasionally...Once I find a good amp/cab combo though I'm generally updating a lot of things (effects and such that I need for particular songs) and have to adjust the out anyway to have it match with the rest of my presets so there isn't a lot of changes overall through the night for FoH.

I typically set up my presets so that I use the amp block to control the volume. all other blocks have their level set to 0. If I need a volume boost for solos I engage a filter (null type) block which has the level set to around 4.6. You can also set levels for each scene indivdually.

Just now using Austin Buddy’s v5 pack.

Backed off my guitar volume a bit.
For the lead tones, made sure the preset scenes I use for leads are equivalent at the OUT blocks.
Also set the front control knobs exactly as AB recommends.
And yes, if any small adjust was needed, it was done at the amp block(s).

This worked great at our concert this past weekend. The differences between rhythm and lead scenes were perfect. The tones were spot-on brilliant. I couldn’t be happier, and I’m not easy to please.

We play true-to-original covers, and I research what equipment was originally used. Thanks to Fractal, Austin Buddy, and Leon Todd, this has finally worked like a charm.

I'd be interested to see some of those presets! :)

Buy the presets from AustinBuddy. They cannot be shared even if they are tweaked.

For the OP: AdminM is right. AB does a fine job of leveling for the most part, but can't take into consideration all variables and players. Best to volume level at practice for each preset/scene so you know where it sits with the band.

Yes, that’s why I didn’t post presets. I also just spent the last 15 hours traveling. I can tell you some of the amps I selected. I’m now currently 5000+ miles away from my axe fx, but I used his Plexi 50w, Dumbles, AC30, Roland JC-120 (needed a solid state amp to build toward Bob Yeazel’s EMRAD amp for Green Eyed Lady. With the right pedal and tweaks it was crazy perfect, lol!), the Ampeg SVT for Elliot Randall’s Reelin’ leads, etc. The AustinBuddy presets saved the day. But my point was about the relative volumes. They were fundamentally where they should be. I just made sure to balance all of my small fx and tone changes. Plus, I play a lot of Duane Allman stuff, and my pickups have just a bit extra something. Hard to say what it is. One last point, AustinBuddy is a terrific cat. Politely endured a few of my stupid questions.

I find the scenes to be pretty well balanced. Across presets I find some variance, but nothing earth shattering.

There was a side discussion about this in one of the threads. Basically, it was saying that in terms of dBs cleans and dirty tones will not sound properly matched, but db meters dont lie. That might be part of it...

I was honestly blown away, with how well it all turned out. I used about 15 presets with a modal average of two or three scenes per preset, to cover about twenty songs. The entire night was effortless - always where I wanted to be in the mix. I go FOH with Cab blocks and Out1, and AB’s Out3 scheme for my QSC and guitar cab on stage. Great, great, great. The only thing I changed on his layouts, is I reposition Out4 upstream, pairing it with In4 as an effects loop, for the Boonar Echorec on Gilmour stuff.

So...you have to remember that for non-lead scenes, you level to CHORDS.

For LEADS though, you level to lead notes played on the higher strings. Which means the low E string will be too loud usually with the average -12db reference.

And some people like to add another boost on top which raises the gain and reduces the headroom left... or, they add a big delay and it washes out some...

If it' a set list preset you use all the time, I recommend to just go into Scenes tab located in every Output Block at signal chain end that you use, and for that Lead scene just add 2 to 3db there, and BOOM you will punch through on the lead scene fine, and still have a little headroom left. You can also use this trick to reduce the volume of other scenes, and never fool with the Amp Level setting.

I did cover that tip/trick towards the end of the 7-part "Getting Started with the Axe-fx III" You Tube tutorial I believe....hope that helps!

And thanks for the compliments on the tones everyone... I never get tired of hearing how happy you are using these sounds, it is very gratifying!

I typically set up my presets so that I use the amp block to control the volume. all other blocks have their level set to 0. If I need a volume boost for solos I engage a filter (null type) block which has the level set to around 4.6. You can also set levels for each scene indivdually.
I do that too trick too for a big solo boost -- mine is at 3.5db Filter block, so yours most be killin' it!

Back
Top Bottom