Aurora borealis could be visible in wide swaths of continental US, Europe on Saturday because of large solar flare

If you’ve never seen the Northern Lights, this may be your chance. Growing up in northern Canada, I had the opportunity to see them many times and it never gets old! They are absolutely breathtaking to see!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/29/weather/northern-southern-lights-us-europe-wx-scn/index.html

I live in Da North, too. Farther North than some Canadians, but not all. I like to call my friends
from Toronto, "Southerners." :)

I have been blessed like you to see them many times. I can't recall how many times coming home
from a gig at 3AM and you look to the North on a clear night and just have to stop the car and
get out. It is amazing.

One thing I think people lose who see pictures of them is how "alive" they are. They literally roll
in waves and creep across the sky. If you live far enough North they reach out in those pulses and
you can see them stretch directly over your head.

I may have cried a few times seeing them. They are THAT glorious, aren't they?? :)

One odd thing I have noticed is that I have only ever seen them randomly, and not when forecast.

The inherent mystery of the Aurora.

One thing I think people lose who see pictures of them is how "alive" they are.

I was just telling someone the same thing. The way they move like a wave, is incredible. They change in shape, intensity, colour (shades of green, at least in the north), size…it is truly a site to see that no picture or video can do justice.

Super overcast all day today just outside Boston, no chance. A little better tomorrow, but mixed, we'll see.

I've seen them before though, truly wonderful, one of the gifts of the world.

I was just telling someone the same thing. The way they move like a wave, is incredible. They change in shape, intensity, colour (shades of green, at least in the north), size…it is truly a site to see that no picture or video can do justice.

Exactly! Something I wish everyone on Earth could experience for one night. :)

I got into trying to capture them for a few years. Some not bad results, but not great
either. I have seen some images that are clearly enhanced/photo-shopped/filtered.

I hope this weekend turns out as forecast. :)

Back
Top Bottom