Audio question

sk8te4free7

Inspired
I've experienced this twice now on FW Q2.04 & now that i've just updated to Q3.02 where my audio has cut out completely from normal bedroom level to complete silence after switching from one preset to another using my MFC. I've turned off and back on the axe and i still had no audio coming out until a few seconds later of letting it adjust power levels (i guess). I'm using my matrix fx1000 to power my FRFR speakers.

There is audio coming out from the axe now but i've become concerned now that this has happened out of nowhere..

Before i reach out to support, has this happened to anyone else? Could this be because i play for maybe about 40 minutes to an hour and then shut it off to go on with my day?

I'd be interested to know if there is still audio thru headphones when this happens?
Are you using a factory reset or something you have created and what happens if you change patches - does the signal come back?

I've experienced this twice now on FW Q2.04 & now that i've just updated to Q3.02 where my audio has cut out completely from normal bedroom level to complete silence after switching from one preset to another using my MFC. I've turned off and back on the axe and i still had no audio coming out until a few seconds later of letting it adjust power levels (i guess). I'm using my matrix fx1000 to power my FRFR speakers.

There is audio coming out from the axe now but i've become concerned now that this has happened out of nowhere..

Before i reach out to support, has this happened to anyone else? Could this be because i play for maybe about 40 minutes to an hour and then shut it off to go on with my day?
Can you give more info? How are you hooked up cable and midi wise? Are you using a volume pedal or mute in your configuration? Since you are experiencing this when changing presets, using your MFC, what is your midi configuration settings? Does this happen after it has been on for a while, or when you first turn everything, including amp, on?

I'd be interested to know if there is still audio thru headphones when this happens?
Are you using a factory reset or something you have created and what happens if you change patches - does the signal come back?

i almost never use the headphone jack. I've used a mixture of created, stock and edited stock presets to make my own. And so far it's only happened on edited stock presets and the signal does come back for good after a few seconds of restarting the system.

Can you give more info? How are you hooked up cable and midi wise? Are you using a volume pedal or mute in your configuration? Since you are experiencing this when changing presets, using your MFC, what is your midi configuration settings? Does this happen after it has been on for a while, or when you first turn everything, including amp, on?

I've had my setup the same exact way for over a year in terms of the MFC-101 Mk 2 being used with Ethercon cable and two TRS cables for my mission expression pedal. I just use the Exp. pedal for volume purposes but at the time of the audio cutting out i never used the volume whatsoever. Simple riffing nothing fancy.
I've noticed this has happened at least after the axe has been on for a little bit of time or randomly after over an hour. I don't know when it happens, it just did this twice (ever) after having the XL for over a year now.

I've had my setup the same exact way for over a year in terms of the MFC-101 Mk 2 being used with Ethercon cable and two TRS cables for my mission expression pedal. I just use the Exp. pedal for volume purposes but at the time of the audio cutting out i never used the volume whatsoever. Simple riffing nothing fancy.
I've noticed this has happened at least after the axe has been on for a little bit of time or randomly after over an hour. I don't know when it happens, it just did this twice (ever) after having the XL for over a year now.
Once it does it, can you change to another preset and get sound or is it completely silent? If you haven't done so, look at the preset you are coming from and going to? Maybe something in the preset. Do you have anything configured in there that would affect the volume? Are you using any global volume settings? Also check for settings you are turning on and off, like delay, flanger, etc and see if it is set to mute?

Once it does it, can you change to another preset and get sound or is it completely silent? If you haven't done so, look at the preset you are coming from and going to? Maybe something in the preset. Do you have anything configured in there that would affect the volume? Are you using any global volume settings? Also check for settings you are turning on and off, like delay, flanger, etc and see if it is set to mute?

i've used other stock presets to see if it occurred again and it doesn't. I've routed the volume peal only to my custom presets and when i switch to a stock one, it doesn't affect anything within it. No global settings used and as far as muted settings go, i wasn't touching anything in the axe at the time of playing. I'm beginning to think it may be the power amp.. may be the axe itself since the first time it happened. I shut off the power amp instead and the audio was still cut out. This time, i just shut off the axe so it has to probably be the axe..

are you also connected to Axe Edit??

I didn't have anything connected to my computer. It was just axe, power amp, mfc and guitar. Nothing fancy going on. I've had this setup for over a year and i've never had this problem.

Did you check all your outputs? Are you getting levels out, incl. the headphone output?

If you think it's the amp ... perhaps it's heat related if it's on for 40 mins then shuts down/attenuates the signal? Matrix has their shop in LA, so if it is amp-related, you're nearby. I see in your last post you think it's the AXE - if so the following won't be relevant.

FYI - I'd be super-surprised if this is your issue, but I'll mention it just in case because it sounds similar except it only happend to me on a single channel (B), and for it to happen to both channels is like winning the PowerBall lottery for the unlucky, unless you're running mono ...?

I have an issue with my 2U Matrix GT1000FX on the 1/4 inputs which have failed after about a month or two of ownership. It took awhile to figure out, but for me the failure is actually inside the Neutrik 1/4" connectors on the Matrix. I would play for 20 mins then I'd lose one side of the signal (I play stereo cabs L&R).

On a lark, I bought and tried a pair of one-foot Neutrik XLR cables (AXEFX to GT1000FX) and this works-around this input connecture failure at the power amp 1/4" input jacks. (My understanding from Matrix is for the Neutrik connectors to be bad (which I'm told is super rare), it has to go back to Neutrik/Germany to be diagnosed and worse, is not user-replaceable part.)

Matrix has noted the issues with my 2U and when I'm ready to ship it back they would fix it for me, but I have no compelling need to lose it for a few weeks since the Neutrik XLR work-around seems rock solid. When and if it ever fails at the XLR input, then back to the shop.

Last edited:
Did you check all your outputs? Are you getting levels out, incl. the headphone output?

If you think it's the amp ... perhaps it's heat related if it's on for 40 mins then shuts down/attenuates the signal? Matrix has their shop in LA, so if it is amp-related, you're nearby. I see in your last post you think it's the AXE - if so the following won't be relevant.

FYI - I'd be super-surprised if this is your issue, but I'll mention it just in case because it sounds similar except it only happend to me on a single channel (B), and for it to happen to both channels is like winning the PowerBall lottery for the unlucky, unless you're running mono ...?

I have an issue with my 2U Matrix GT1000FX on the 1/4 inputs which have failed after about a month or two of ownership. It took awhile to figure out, but for me the failure is actually inside the Neutrik 1/4" connectors on the Matrix. I would play for 20 mins then I'd lose one side of the signal (I play stereo cabs L&R).

On a lark, I bought and tried a pair of one-foot Neutrik XLR cables (AXEFX to GT1000FX) and this works-around this input connecture failure at the power amp 1/4" input jacks. (My understanding from Matrix is for the Neutrik connectors to be bad (which I'm told is super rare), it has to go back to Neutrik/Germany to be diagnosed and worse, is not user-replaceable part.)

Matrix has noted the issues with my 2U and when I'm ready to ship it back they would fix it for me, but I have no compelling need to lose it for a few weeks since the Neutrik XLR work-around seems rock solid. When and if it ever fails at the XLR input, then back to the shop.

After it shuts off for 40 minutes and then turning it back on the signal is exactly the same. tone, volume etc. I've never had any issues with my axe or power amp before. It just surprises me how the audio just went out on it's own after leaving all cables untouched and connected properly. I'm going to have to test them both out for over an hour and see if it happens again but i'm gonna have to reach out to both support teams (matrix & FAS) for more help.
I just don't know what could cause this.. maybe the amount of wattage going into my power conditioner? idk

Any sign of the Matrix Protect light coming on when it happens?

Do your input level meters still light up as normal on the Axe-FX?

I'd probably suspect the Matrix - although keeping a set of headphones around to try in the Axe to monitor it's Output 1s next time it happens would help too.

I also had a problem with one of the Neutrik Output sockets similar to ∞Fractals when I first got my Matrix (so maybe not all that super rare) - I used 1/4 inch jack speaker cables first and one channel was way down in volume - I tried Neutrik ended speaker cables next and they were fine. I then tried the 1/4 inch cables again and all was ok - so the twist and lock of the Neutrik cables must have cleared the bad 1/4 inch connection in the socket.

I'd probably suspect the Matrix - although keeping a set of headphones around to try in the Axe to monitor it's Output 1s next time it happens would help too.

I also had a problem with one of the Neutrik Output sockets similar to ∞Fractals when I first got my Matrix (so maybe not all that super rare) - I used 1/4 inch jack speaker cables first and one channel was way down in volume - I tried Neutrik ended speaker cables next and they were fine. I then tried the 1/4 inch cables again and all was ok - so the twist and lock of the Neutrik cables must have cleared the bad 1/4 inch connection in the socket.

Thanks for sharing ... interesting data point for sure - and, like you say, perhaps not as rare as we might think ... hmnnn.

Have you called FAS Support?

i have not yet since this weird incident has happened only twice (ever) of owning the XL. This did happen before with volume fluctuation when i had the GT800 power amp though. Like i've mentioned before, all cables, volume adjustments and settings i've had were never touched the entire time frame that i've owned my current setup.

But once i narrow down the problem i'll reach out to official support.

the input meters still litup normally on the axe when it happened. No lights turn on when using the power amp and i need to try the headphone jack asap to figure out what i hear.

I am using 1/4 speakon cables from power amp to frfr matrix speakers and even then i don't really touch them. i don't touch any cables besides the instrument cable to input 1 of the axe. I have yet to try channel B on it to see if it happens there as well.. until My next test...

If you turn the AFX off, and back on again - and the sound returns its not likely to be the amp. If you leave the AFX on, and turn the amp off then on and the sound returns then it IS likely to be the amp - though IOM its not likely to be the amp if it happens on both channels at once (If Ive read things correctly). That would be unusual.

If you turn the AFX off, and back on again - and the sound returns its not likely to be the amp. If you leave the AFX on, and turn the amp off then on and the sound returns then it IS likely to be the amp - though IOM its not likely to be the amp if it happens on both channels at once (If Ive read things correctly). That would be unusual.

I remember when it first happened, i turned off the power amp and it was the same thing. the volume was close to nothing and then it randomly came back. When i turned off the axe the second time this happened, it was the same thing as it happened the first time. So my question still remains as follows..

aright guys so here's a weird situation i'm confused about.. is it possible that after unplugging and pluging back in a guitar (specifically a strandberg bodon 8 string with EMGs) the audio goes from regular volume to almost no audio coming out from the axe. this time when it happened, i turned off the axe-fx and turned it back on.. the audio came back to normal so now i know it's not my power amp... but this only happened with that specific guitar and not my own which are an agile 8 string with BKP and a JPx-7 with dimarzios.. wtf... lol

Back
Top Bottom