Audio PC Build recommendations (1k and under budget)

Minotaurean

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers and suggestions regarding what I would need to build a fairly strong PC that will be used for primarily audio. I definitely want to go with Windows 7 considering that's what I've been using for a while. I need something that can handle low latency and a good amount of plugins (Superior Drummer 2.0 and EZmix2 primarily). I don't know much about computers so any help would be appreciated. My budget is around 1k and I don't need any peripherals. Thanks.

If you are building from scratch:

Intel H81-based motherboard is cheap and gets the job done.
Go core i5 at least (4590 CPU), core i7 if you can afford it.
8GB of RAM is affordable these days, but you can get by with 4GB IMO.
Be sure to get an SSD as your system drive. You can grab a 256GB if you find a good price, otherwise 128 GB will cut it.

PS: most motherboards have onboard video these days. I wouldn't bother with a dedicated graphics card unless you need one.

Let me reiterate; I believe that one of the most demanding tasks that I would need to run would be monitoring a guitar amp-sim plugin (ezmix2) while recording and while superior drummer 2.0 is playing. What would the best the optimal amount of RAM and processing power amongst other components I may need?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers and suggestions regarding what I would need to build a fairly strong PC that will be used for primarily audio. I definitely want to go with Windows 7 considering that's what I've been using for a while. I need something that can handle low latency and a good amount of plugins (Superior Drummer 2.0 and EZmix2 primarily). I don't know much about computers so any help would be appreciated. My budget is around 1k and I don't need any peripherals. Thanks.

Here's the short answer.
Go to Sweetwater.com, purchase a creation station.
The computer is already configured for you for recording audio and you have access to awesome tech support if anything should need attention.

Done.
Next.

All you need is love

commodore_c64_tape-recorder-1530-c2n_1.jpg

Here's the short answer.
The computer is already configured for you for recording audio and you have access to awesome tech support if anything should need attention.

Done.
Next.
I had a look at at the Creation Station. I'm sure it'll meet your needs, but it's expensive (there goes the OP's under-$1000 requirement). And there's a certain amount of smoke-and-mirrors in their marketing: Some of their "special features" incude "audio-grade RAM" and fans to "prevent dangerous heat buildup."

If you're running Superior you're probably going to want a fair bit of RAM. My current default Metal Foundry kit eats up about 2GB on its own, and that's with a fair bit stuff disabled in the ambient mics. If I turn all the ambient options on, it's over 3GB. It's a large-ish but fairly simple kit. I don't have several snares and kicks and whatever layered. So unless you want to run a really stripped out S2.0 kit, 4GB isn't going to cut it. Even 8GB, when you factor in the OS and whatever else is running, you might find yourself a bit limited.

I had a look at at the Creation Station. I'm sure it'll meet your needs, but it's expensive (there goes the OP's under-$1000 requirement). And there's a certain amount of smoke-and-mirrors in their marketing: Some of their "special features" incude "audio-grade RAM" and fans to "prevent dangerous heat buildup."

Rex, you have a point with regards to slick marketing and special features.
However, the creation station is perfect for a person such as the OP who doesn't know much about computers that wants to record using a "fairly strong PC".

My experience with Sweetwater and purchasing the creation station was fantastic.
The difference with the OP and myself is I know computers.
I've built my own for years. But at the end of the day, the creation station came with all the hardware I needed, all my software installed/registered/configured (including software using a dongle), plus all the very helpful tech support in case I needed assistance.

Just saying.
Yes, the price is higher than the OP needs.
However, frustration pay for do it yourself PC builds and all the headaches of tweeking & tweezing a PC with little experience adds up.
I purchased a creation station & a presonus a/d interface about a year or so before I purchased an AxeFx.
Both have been rock solid performers.

Well worth the few extra $ for the OP's budget, with ease of mind everything works well together.

Here's the short answer.

Done.
Next.

Worst advice on the thread so far. Their cheapest $999 Creation Station has Core i3, 4GB RAM and no SSD. You can do MUCH better than that for less.

I recently bought a Hp with an I7 processor for about $900. That including a monitor. It runs sonar with waves plugins with no problem at all. Do yourself a favor and do not buy the sweetwater hype.

My .02 as someone who has built multiple 'parts' PC's and also bought pre-made:

- I don't think Sweetwater is hype as much as you are buying a security blanket along with a PC. They do seem a bit pricey for what they contain, though.
- If you really want to assemble your own, absolutely get an i7 and lots of RAM (8 gig minimum.) As someone pointed out, even if your DAW is fairly efficient, loading in sample libraries can use a LOT of RAM. It is always best to plan ahead and get some headroom to grow.
- If you want simple you can, for example, get a Dell 8700 online at Costco with a 3.6GHz i7 (that's a quad core), 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM, a 1TB drive, 4GB nVidia graphics card, Win 7 Pro, USB 3, etc. for $849. That leaves you enough left over to get an SSD if you want. You will, however want to clean off the excess 'extras' that any vendor inevitably loads on the PC before you start installing your own software.
- A prime consideration that hasn't been mentioned is NOISE. You want the PC to be as close to silent as possible. I've got a Dell 8700 sitting right next to me and it is basically inaudible.
- Personally, I'd also avoid built in graphics, especially Intel integrated graphics. They can definitely be a chokepoint as they try to keep up with screen redaws as your DAW timeline scrolls. Even an inexpensive AMD or nVidia card will take the load off of the bus & CPU.
- Maybe plan on using multiple monitors. Being able to run the DAW on one screen and VST, Axe-Edit, etc., on another is great for keeping your sanity (and musical flow).
- Finally, don't neglect to consider a laptop. I've switched from dedicated PC's to laptops for a lot of recording and it is super handy to be able to just pick up your 'studio' and go. I run mine using Firewire and external monitor/keyboard/mouse and it is a pretty sweet setup.

TT

Last edited:
I'll say it. Sweetwater is smoke and mirrors when you look at the specs versus price and want to stay under $1,000.

I run an AMD core for the past 4 years and it is still running strong in an HP Case. It was a refurb model that I got for $400 at the time.

Intels tend to crap out like clockwork at the milestone of 4 years of use for the last 4 computers I had prior to this one, so I am talking from personal experience.

So if you want to possibly replace your computer ever 4 years, go with Intel.

Otherwise, I would say try an AMD processor.

The minimum requirements for the software you need to run is very reasonable. You don't need an SSD hard drive for your applications at all. At this time the only advantage to having an SSD drive is for a matter of speed and that's it. It will RETRIEVE information faster and will boot up faster. That's it.

The software requires a Pentium 4 processor. Even the older dual core processors are 16 times faster than what the minimum requirements are. This basically means that if each of the pieces of your software require Pentium 4 processors, if you get any of the slower pentium processors (quad core i3, for example) will serve your purposes for YEARS. Don't forget computers are built to multi-task.

You can forego any fancy video cards and any integrated GPU will do. RAM is where you should splurge as this will help your computer multi-task faster and better. At least 4G RAM, but I would go for 8.

You could likely get a very good laptop, one with a basic quad core processor, 8G RAM, a 1T hard drive for much less than $1K. That being said, if you don't mind getting one used, you can get killer deals in your local area at places that refurb laptops for under $500. I got an amazing Dell refurb locally with an i5 Quad Core processor, 8G RAM, 1T drive, a 1GB dedicated GPU and a stellar screen for $300. When it was new, it retailed for $1500 and it is still working very well.

Just as an aside, many of the computers that were recommended were far over your needed specs.

Here's the short answer.

Done.
Next.

Oh man, OP....do NOT do this...

Don't spend 3x more than you need to!

This StudioCat DAW is a little over the $1000 ($1149 to be exact), but I highly recommend this company. The owner, Jim Roseberry, is pretty active on the Cakewalk forum and for price/performance ratio I believe his are the best bang for the buck of all of the specialty audio PC builders out there. He gives great support and builds a great system that is designed for audio from the ground up. I'd recommend saving up just a bit longer and going for this. This is his lowest priced system, but it's got an i5 with 8GB RAM and two hard drives, and he builds them quiet in case you need to mic up anything to record. I agree that you don't need SSD hard drives for audio apps. Hard drives are quite a lot faster than they were when I started recording 17 years ago, and they worked then... so I really don't think you need to worry about them now.

I recommend Gigabit mobos. I used to be an Asus man but I've been burned by their BIOS too many times. Save you money on video cards for a bigger screen. DAW work is not video intensive. Frame rate is not your concern so much as workspace is. Multiple SDDs, one for the OS and applications, and one to write audio to. They should be separate. You want to have this handled as fast as possible so explore your RAID options and choose.

64 bit OS and as much low latency RAM as the motherboard can take and you can afford.

My flight sim PC is an 1155 socket Gigabit board with an i7 (k) CPU, 32Gb of fast RAM and two SDDs with an nVidia GTX-780. You can build that rig and have enough juice to run your DAW and enough left over to run NASA in 1969.

Last edited:
I recommend Gigabit mobos. I used to be an Asus man but I've been burned by their BIOS too many times. Save you money on video cards for a bigger screen. DAW work is not video intensive. Frame rate is not your concern so much as workspace is. Multiple SDDs, one for the OS and applications, and one to write audio to. They should be separate. You want to have this handled as fast as possible so explore your RAID options and choose.

64 bit OS and as much low latency RAM as the motherboard can take and you can afford.

My flight sim PC is an 1155 socket Gigabit board with an i7 (k) CPU, 32Gb of fast RAM and two SDDs with an nVidia GTX-780. You can build that rig and have enough juice to run your DAW and enough left over to run NASA in 1969.

Sorry man, but not only does he not need such a beast of a machine, but there is no way that will fit into his budget. You can't compare a PC built to run a Flight Sim which is VERY hardware intensive with one for what he needs to do. Multiple SDD drives? 32GB of RAM? With his budget he is obviously not doing this for pro caliber stuff.

Back
Top Bottom